Brave

FYI Stonehenge is in England. Brave is set in Scotland. The Callanish Standing Stones on the Isle of Lewis were the inspiration for this film. Please don't confuse the two. They have very different stories.

Not being a Debbie downer but as a scot who has roots from the Isle of Lewis it is something close to my heart and it irks me when people confuse the two. :flower3:

Considering not everyone even know the difference it would be nice if they said something, maybe some legend, story.

I thought that this movie was okay, but did not live up to expectations. I agree with everything that is being said about a strong princess character. I have three daughters of my own and want them to understand that they are capable of anything they set their mind on achieving. With that said, why did Disney/Pixar have to completely bash men to get this point across? I also have two sons and there was not one male character to look up to in Brave. Merida’s dad was portrayed as a moron that could not make a good decision to save his life. Now, I agree that our wives will often keep us out of trouble and correct some of our poor decisions, but we (men) are capable of being responsible and making good decisions. Merida’s triplet brothers were completely out of control and seemed to not respect authority at all nor did anyone try and get them to follow authority. The suitors for Merida and their fathers were wimps, vain, and idiots. All that to say that I hope Disney/Pixar will continue to develop strong princesses but at the same time not demoralize every male character for our boys. I do not want my sons to just assume that they can grow up to be idiots who don’t have to respect authority and can just shirk responsibility. This was not the worst move, but I hope it does not become the norm for Disney/Pixar.

As far as Brave being Pixar’s 4th best film, I would struggle to rank it that high. I would have to put all of the following above Brave: Toy Story (all of them), Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Cars, Monsters, Inc., and Up. I have not seen Wall E or A Bug’s Life, so I am not sure how they compare to Brave. I don’t know in what order I would rank Brave, Ratatouille, and Cars 2. So at best, I would rank Brave ninth of all the Disney/Pixar movies.

been to Callanish Standing Stones and also many other standing stones in Scotland. The inspirations from that site and Scotland lochs, munros etc. were presented brilliantly!!

Considering the times in which she lived, Merida was VERY brave to stick to her guns and decide her own fate. Not what would be expected of a young girl centuries ago. There was no need for her to win a war to prove her courage! Men in those times did as they pleased. Woman (and girls) did as they were told. More or less sold off to the highest bidder. 50 year old women married to 8 year olds for the sake of power and family honor. Babies and toddlers betrothed to each other. (history is my passion)

Brave to me is an appropriate title!

I was pleasantly surprised with this movie, I loved it! While the plot could gone more in depth I never felt bugged that it did not. I also loved that a Disney princesses finally had curly hair. It was an awesome movie! :yay:

The ultimate goal of every single princess movie, up to this point, has been to get the guy. It is the first time we see a real relationship--with flaws and all--between a princess and her mother. It's the first time a princess's assets are tied to something besides her beauty. It's the first time the goal is not just to get married.

QUOTE]

I haven't seen it, wife and kids have and they all liked it. I will say I agree with above. When first saw commercial I wanted my girls to see it so they could see a good and strong girl role model that wasn't just beign led around by a boy. I like the regular cast of princesses for my girls but nice to have some be less about romance and more about self confidence and reliance.

We finally decided to see the movie this past weekend (DH, myself and DD15) and we LOVED it. The animation was amazing - her hair looked like I could reach out and touch it!! And as for the music.....it was beautiful. I just LOVED to hear Merida speak.

I went and saw this movie by myself(had no one to go with). I enjoyed it a lot. I enjoyed the story and the characters. :) I loved all of Merida's family.

Just took DD to see it tonight on a mother-daughter date for her bday. It was neat and I enjoyed it. Didn't fall in love with it though.

I really was so disappointed in Brave :-(

Really feel like it is the first Pixar 'flop'..as others have said it is not in depth enough etc.

I did not see it at the movie, but when it comes out on DVD I'm going to give it a try.

I loved brave!!!!!

I thought it was an amazing mother daughter movie!

Pixar did an amazing job again!

I loved Brave and Merida is one of my favourites now.
It was really refreshing to see a Disney princess that, instead of chasing after a prince, was looking to find her own independence and a better relationship with her mother. I'll admit I was pretty annoyed what Merida did to her, but all in all I thought it was a great film. I saw it twice, once with my boyfriend and another with my mother.
:)
The video game was a lot of fun as well and I'd definitely recommend it for any Brave fans out there.

I adored Brave and Merida is my daugther's favorite princess (mainly because of her curly hair) and claims to everyone that Merida does NOT need a prince charming.

People seems to be upset at the movie title. In french, the movie is named Rebelle (rebel), maybe it fits more.

It was so much not like any other princess movie.

:thumbsup2 This was my favorite part of the movie. The fact that there was no prince! I love the other Disney princess movies, however I think this movie is much more appropriate for young girls to aspire to.

My family LOVED it--myself, DH and DS4. We even saw it twice! For YEARS people have been clamoring that Disney's princesses are not good role models for girls. And while I disagree with that assessment to a point, I have to concede a few things. The ultimate goal of every single princess movie, up to this point, has been to get the guy. Get the guy, and everything is peachy. Even if the guy has been an abusive jerk (Beast) or a thief who has completely lied to you about who he is (Aladdin). Even if you have to drastically change your appearance and give up everything you know and love to get him (Little Mermaid). Brave is a total departure. It is the first time we see a real relationship--with flaws and all--between a princess and her mother. It's the first time a princess's assets are tied to something besides her beauty. It's the first time the goal is not just to get married.

Also, it is the very first full-length movie my DS4 has ever sat all the way through in the theater. To me, that speaks volumes. Especially for a princess movie. (He's usually more of the Cars type.)

Revisiting this thread, I'd like to add I already have the 3D Bluray pre-ordered from amazon :thumbsup2

Can't wait to see it again!

Brave was a wonderful movie - the way the mother and daughter were fighting but were both so very similar at the same time, the way the mother was so fiercely protective of her children, the fact that there is no prince coming to the rescue...it is my favorite princess movie, and a wonderful message to my daughter.

I also have it pre-ordered on Amazon - I did so the first day it was available.

I saw Brave roughly about a few days after the movie opened in theaters, and I loved it! If this was Pixar's first attempt at a fairytale, they've done great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter