Biscuit's Grand Adventure | An epic tale three decades in the making!

By the time this tale is over, there's no telling HOW many nicknames I am apt to acquire.

Having reflected upon the merits of your linguistic suggestion, I must admit that taking that path of least resistance by means of expressing one's thought with minimal verbiage while simultaneously maintaining the inherent message and intent of the original thought process seems both rational and preferable from the paradigm of working smarter and not harder when conveying the spirit and history of past trips by means of first person narrative form and is indeed a practical approach to the creation of future episodes to which I shall attempt to conform. In short, I’ll keep it simple.

SAY What? English is my second language, you know. (OK, not for 38 years, but it always works as an excuse.

Okay, you weren't even up late when you posted this. What's your excuse?:rotfl2:

If you WERE (semi-)serious above, though, I am clarifying for Marita's sake, as she was not telling you to be less verbose. She was referring to the grammar rule. So if you are not clear on whether you should use "me" or "I", the way to figure it out is to remove the other subject and see what you would use. Then use THAT and add back in the other subject. Make sense? I know, not keeping it simple, and I'm not up late either :rotfl:

Thanks Ash! LOL!:thumbsup2

The next time you exit the Haunted Mansion, look for the gravestone which reads, “He sorted attractions for his clan, here lies Biscuit’s touring plan.”

Love it, LOL.

Thanks for the Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit link, I loved that show.

Mondays and Thursdays, GOT it! I be there.

Hey BSG! Glad you stopped by. Sorry if I sounded snarky in my previous reply...that really was not my intent at all! I was actually trying to say "I like the way you think and it makes sense to go with option C when in doubt about options A & B". I'm guilty of wonton and gatuitious, attempted yet unsuccessful, wittiness. I'm glad you enjoyed the Kitchen Cabaret memories. And yes, AC keeps me in line. Which is good. Somebody needs to. :rolleyes1 Until my next bi-weekly rant, peace out! :hippie: Take care. :flower3: And to quote Delswife, Love ya, Mean it! :love:

Hey BSG! Glad you stopped by. Sorry if I sounded snarky in my previous reply...that really was not my intent at all! I was actually trying to say "I like the way you think and it makes sense to go with option C when in doubt about options A & B" I'm glad you enjoyed the Kitchen Cabaret memories. And yes, AC keeps me honest. Which is good. Somebody needs to. :rolleyes1 Until my next bi-weekly rant, peace out! :hippie: Take care. :flower3: And to quote Delswife, Love ya, Mean it! :love:

You didnt sound snarky, it was funny.

Re LYMI: did you know Delswife has a blog? ******************

OOps, let's try this ****************.blogspot.com/

Well, that didnt work either. PM me if you want the link.

I`m in!! :banana: I followed you over from Mrstheking TR. also know you from ZZUBS.
I have lots of catching up to do. but will make it a priority. right behind making sure my 3 kids are somewhat fed and kinda clean! :lmao: keeping hubby happy? thats just a bonus for him. :rotfl2:

anywhos. I`ll read`ja soon! this is going to be fun! :goodvibes

You didnt sound snarky, it was funny.

Re LYMI: did you know Delswife has a blog? ******************

OOps, let's try this ****************.blogspot.com/

Well, that didnt work either. PM me if you want the link.
Whew - that's a relief....Delswife is a blogger? Seriously? I SO have to get that link. Sending out a PM shout.

I`m in!! :banana: I followed you over from Mrstheking TR. also know you from ZZUBS.
I have lots of catching up to do. but will make it a priority. right behind making sure my 3 kids are somewhat fed and kinda clean! :lmao: keeping hubby happy? thats just a bonus for him. :rotfl2:

anywhos. I`ll read`ja soon! this is going to be fun! :goodvibes
Welcome aboard! pirate: Glad to have you along for the ride. Those are some mighty big acts to follow! While I can't fill their shoes, I'll do my best to inform and entertain. Don't stay up too late. :surfweb: In fact I think I'll take my own advice and hit the proverbial hay.

Following the suggested touring schedule in the “Official Guide”, we entered the park and turned right, heading straight for “The Living Seas” pavilion. The only thing I really remember from this particular visit was the hydrolators. Which were cheesy, but I like cheese so it was all good.
The Hydrolaters were the bomb! It was always fun to listen to our fellow passengers' comments and questions as we "descended." ;)

After our journey through musical space, (there’s just so much I could do with that phrase.) we Journeyed Into our Imaginations. Apparently my imagination includes a miniature purple dragon and a frighteningly hairy man. I haven’t ridden the new version of this attraction so I am unable to give a comparison.
Here's my view... the original JII's nostalgic popularity is purely a relative thing. It wasn't all that terrific, but in comparison to the absolute crap version shown today, it looks downright fantastic. Don't bother, is what I'm saying. :sad2:

Trying to catch up on your TR. Great updates.

The next time you exit the Haunted Mansion, look for the gravestone which reads, “He sorted attractions for his clan, here lies Biscuit’s touring plan.”

:lmao:

:sad2: I'm sure that was hard for you GB. I'm sure you put a lot of effort into it. Been there myself, we went as a group of 15 to DL once. Once.

...the Ultimate Cheese. (A.K.A. Captain EO…. I wonder if they have since removed that particular credit from their resumes.) What can I say about this film. This was the only time I actually watched it, so I don’t remember all of the specifics of the plot all that well. I do remember that we mocked it greatly when it was over. I’m sorry, but when one of your main characters is a piano playing blue elephant named Hooter, you can’t expect to be taken seriously. ESPECIALLY by two teenage boys.

What! Captain EO was totally awesome! Though I will agree with you on the name Hooter. I still request Captain EO on the theme park music site I visit. Nothin like 80's at Disneyland. When people wore ridiculous red and black leather type MJ outfits and a white glove. When I wore fluourescent everything. My mom's work rented the park out 7 pm-1 or 2 am for one evening every year. No lines, no crowds. We were allowed to run around the park by ourselves until they closed. Riding Space Mtn over and over again without stopping. Good times. Wow, I think I need help.:rotfl:

Yay about your job. My dh works in a call center also and we have our fingers crossed too. Mr Feedthebirds' dept had to lay off 8 people the other day. He hated doing it.

The Hydrolaters were the bomb! It was always fun to listen to our fellow passengers' comments and questions as we "descended." Here's my view... the original JII's nostalgic popularity is purely a relative thing. It wasn't all that terrific, but in comparison to the absolute crap version shown today, it looks downright fantastic. Don't bother, is what I'm saying. :sad2:
Hey PV! Thanks for the warning on Journey 2.5 I heard the first update was horrific and that the update to the update was only marginally better. Still trying to decide if I actually want to give it a go this summer. It will definately be a Column B or Column C attraction. (The Plan is getting high tech this time around. :thumbsup2 )

Trying to catch up on your TR. Great updates. :sad2: I'm sure that was hard for you GB. I'm sure you put a lot of effort into it. Been there myself, we went as a group of 15 to DL once. Once.
It was all good. I managed to move on with life and my immediate family stuck to the plan. (We also managed to take in the most attractions so HA to the non-believers!)
What! Captain EO was totally awesome! Though I will agree with you on the name Hooter. I still request Captain EO on the theme park music site I visit. Nothin like 80's at Disneyland. When people wore ridiculous red and black leather type MJ outfits and a white glove. When I wore fluourescent everything. My mom's work rented the park out 7 pm-1 or 2 am for one evening every year. No lines, no crowds. We were allowed to run around the park by ourselves until they closed. Riding Space Mtn over and over again without stopping. Good times. Wow, I think I need help.:rotfl:
Wow...that would be the most awesome office party EVER. Our last office party consisted of a potluck in the break room which we were only allowed to partake of on our lunch hour. Of course by the time my late lunch hour rolled around, the turkeys were empty carcasses and what few side dishes remained were cold and in a state of questionable consumability. (Is that a word?)
Yay about your job. My dh works in a call center also and we have our fingers crossed too. Mr Feedthebirds' dept had to lay off 8 people the other day. He hated doing it.
Layoffs seem to be par for the course in this line of work. Doesn't make it any easier though.

Coming up on Episode 13: Conquering the Classics and Biscuit has a Breakdown.

Previously on Biscuit’s Grand Adventure, there was a song of annoyance, some attractions of cheese and it was the day The Plan died. We left the park (but didn’t drive our Chevy to the levy) and headed to lunch. I am unsure as to the name of the restaurant, but it was one of those all you can stuff in your gullet type places. This of course meant one thing to Pete and I…FOOD CHALLENGE!

After consuming everything in site, we waddled back to the van and returned to our “resort”. My grandparents were not interested in going back to the park that afternoon, so they kept the younger kids at the motel. This was good for us, as not having to worry about over-taxing a four year old allowed us to return sooner than we would have otherwise. We arrived back at EPCOT Center around mid-afternoon and resumed our tour of Future World. This time, we went left and began with the Universe of Energy. About all I can recall is Pete at one point screaming “I WANT OFF,” which was definitely much more entertaining than anything the attraction had to offer.

Our next stop was the Wonders of Life Pavilion. I was looking forward to this particular pavilion thanks to its advertising. The Disney Channel had been running specials on it and I was anxious to take a ride on Body Wars.

May I just mount a soap box for a moment? :mic: Am I the only one who misses the Disney Channel specials they used to run anytime a new attraction came to The World? I understand the reasoning behind having the Travel Channel do the Walt Disney World specials now, I really do. It’s substantially cheaper and easier to have someone else pay for the production costs and programming. (Plus who doesn’t love Samantha Brown?)

Okay, fine, I get it.

But you know what?

We are not asking for a blockbuster Hollywood flick here. I’ve done video production on a budget. It’s not easy but it CAN be done. And would the world really suffer if one less re-run of Hanna Montana was aired every week? Seriously! If it’s just too hard to figure out, call me. I’m sure I could persuade Philadisney and a couple of other production minded DIS’ers to team up with me, shoot it on the cheap and still make it a quality show. I am now dismounting my soapbox. Thank you for your time.

I suddenly have an odd craving for fajitas. Which has nothing to do with this TR, yet remains a fact none the less.

I seem to have been ranting again. Where was I? Oh yes, the golden dome of anatomical education. When we got in line for Body Wars, a cast member handed us a card with a time written on it and asked us to hand it to the cast member loading the ride. That’s how I came to remember that we stood in line for an hour and 20 some odd minutes. Was it worth it? Not really. But it was still an entertaining ride and I’m glad I was able to do it this once.

For me the surprise attraction of this pavilion was Cranium Command. I LOVED that show; so much so, that Pete and I went through twice. I don’t know what there was about it that was so enjoyable, it was just a fun show to watch. These are the only two attractions we actually partook of in the Wonders of Life pavilion. (On our second time through CC, my dad took Lynnlee over to the area with the sports stuff where they you did things such as riding a stationary bike “through” the Magic Kingdom and playing virtual Baseball and Golf. )

Savoring our newly acquired knowledge of the complex inner workings of the human body, we decided to check the queue for Spaceship Earth. Finding it to be acceptable, we hopped aboard and went up, down and all around.

Literally.

Here’s where the buffet lunch from earlier comes into play. My parents and sister were hungry and went off in search of sustenance. Pete and I were still full from our lunch time eating marathon and decided to keep going as the lines in Future World had thinned out greatly.

We headed over to Horizons to get a glimpse of our future. It’s hard to say how much of my memory from this attraction comes from this one and only ride I took through, and how much comes from the video clips I’ve seen of it online. I DO remember the orange grove with its olfactory stimuli and that the entire thing reminded me of the exit queue for Space Mountain. (Albeit on a much grander scale.)

We next took a trip through World of Motion. I have absolute no memory of this attraction at all. The only thing I really remember was the concept car display at the end. Pete and I spent quite a bit of time in there. Long enough for my parental units and sister to finish eating, ride Horizons and join back up with us.

We decided at this point to take a gander at World Showcase and walked past Mexico to Norway. After all, we’ve been to Mexico a butt load of times and can head down for a day trip whenever we want. For reasons unknown we felt it would be a good idea to ride Maelstrom, despite it's long wait. It’s not something I’m proud of, but it was a learning experience. Overjoyed at our successful avoidance of being sucked through a watery vortex of death, we poked around the pavilion a bit. After weighing our options, we decided not to go any further. It was getting late and the fireworks would be starting soon.

As we headed back towards the iconic orb of joy, I started to get a headache. By "started" I mean I was suddenly hit with shafts of searing pain rocketing through my sun baked flesh. It was not fun. At ALL. I needed to take a break but didn’t want to alarm my mother (thus risking involuntary park departure) so I waved the family on to score a spot for fireworks and went to get a drink. I wound up in a restaurant in Communicore West which was either Pasta Piazza or Sunshine Terrace. (I’m not sure what it was called at the time, but it had Pizza so I’m guessing the former, which was actually the latter occupant of said location. If that makes sense you should seek medical attention.)

I expected to have a short wait due to the time of day, but as luck would have it, I wound up in line behind…you guessed it a Brazilian Tour group. (And as near as I could tell it was the same one we had encountered twice the day before.) It was kind of funny because everyone ahead of me ordered their drinks without ice. I always find it fascinating to see the differences between cultures. When I went on a missions trip to central Mexico, the nationals thought it was hilarious that we Americans sprinkled sugar on our strawberries at breakfast at our hotel.

My original intent was to just get a drink and sit for a few minutes, but as soon as I smelled the pizza, my stomach nearly crawled through my belly button and leapt onto the counter. I hadn’t thought about being hungry, but when I did the math, it had been over 8 hours since lunch and I’d been walking in the Florida summertime heat all day. When my “It’s a Small World” moment was finally over, I told the cast member at the counter to give me the biggest drink they had, WITH ICE, and some of that heavenly smelling pizza. (I think they talked me into some sort of combo that had bread and salad, but I could be mistaken.)

I carried my tray to an empty table, took a hearty swig of soda, and took a bite of the pizza. Stars began to shine above my head. My taste buds danced in perfect harmony around on my tongue. A shaft of light beamed onto my table and a chorus of angels began to sing. To this very day I remember that moment as the BEST pizza I have ever had in my life. Having since had time to analyze the situation, I am fairly certain that it was the extreme hunger and fatigue that made it so yummy. No doubt if I were offered the same slice today, it wouldn’t be nearly as glorious as it was then. But on that night and in that moment, I was experiencing pure culinary bliss.

By the time I was done eating, my headache was gone and I was once again strong like bull. I walked outside and headed towards our pre-arranged meeting spot and the fireworks started as I was about half way back to the lagoon. I finally located the rest of my clan and watched the closing show.

All-in-all this had been a great day. Though different from what I thought it would be, I still really enjoyed EPCOT Center. Like my first visit to the Magic Kingdom, I had managed to take in several attractions which are no more. The original Living Seas, Kitchen Cabaret, Captain EO, the original Journey, Communicore, Universe of Energy 1.0, Body Wars, Cranium Command, Horizons, World of Motion and the original Spaceship Earth. Since then, EVERY pavilion in Future World has changed. Which is really how I think Walt wanted it to be. I’m glad I experienced those attractions and I enjoyed them greatly. But I’m also looking forward to this summer because in way, it will be like visiting EPCOT for the very first time.

If you infer from my last statement that this was my one and only romp through this park, you would be MOSTLY correct. There was a momentary walk through on trip six. But only one pavilion was visited and as it would turn out, it would lead to my WORST Walt Disney World memory of all time. But that’s getting ahead of myself.

We exited the park and headed back the van boat. (I THINK this was the night that none of us could remember where we parked and much aimless wandering ensued.) Finally reunited with our vehicle, we returned to the motel. The next day was our non-park day, but it was definitely not going to be lacking in adventure. If you are still wondering how the lunch buffet once again came into play, well, you’ll just have to tune in Monday to find out.

Coming up - a Minisode! Assault in Tomorrowland!

Last edited:
Yea another update!! I had a similar experience with food once...I was given a ham sandwich (bread and 2 slices of ham) at the hospital after the birth of our first child (yep hospital food!). I had not eaten for almost 20 hours (I don't count an IV as eating) and when they gave me that sandwich...Holy Cow (or pig as it may be) it still sits in my mind as the best sandwich I have ever eaten! :confused3 My DH and sister both swear it was stale and the ham was questionable but I was in LOVE!!!

And just so you know...I wish the Disney Chanel would do more park items too...The Suite Life and Miss Montana are so overly done!!! Even my 4 year old will say...what the suite life again mommy?? Now that's bad coming from a child who has watched the Lilo & Stitch movie so much that the DVD is getting worn out.

popcorn::waiting to see what happens next!!

Another great update, GB!

I can imagine 2 teenage boys running around having fun.

I will give you my history, if I may.

Back in 1980 or so, I was tagged to be Supervisor of Capital Assets. You know, record assets on the books, blah blah, boring stuff. But Epcot was on the horfizon and happened. Lots of millions of dollars worth of assets to be recorded on the books with original cost and estimated life and all that stuff. It was a HUGE task, HUGE I tell you.

I walked Epcot when it was under construction, in piles of sand with a hard hat. I noticed our partners in Property Control putting asset tags on the front of fancy show equipment in the France dining room (you DO NOT put Asset tags in view of guests). I jumped over water somewhere, some attraction. I dont remember where.

I walked in World Showcase with the VP of Tax before the opening. Everything was brand new. The walkways were bright pink. Or rose color if you prefer. There was nobody around. Just Jose and me, LOL.

They had a huge party for salaried CM's before the official opening. This was in the days before they cut out the alcohol for just about everything. So it was unlimited food and wine and drink. I remember it was a very rainy night. DH and I walked around with a BIG red umbrella. They had food and drink stations set up all over the place. I got rather plastered. :rolleyes:

There was a big ceremony on opening day. I was too ignorant or shy to ask if I could go as a guest since I was so involved in the project. So I signed up to be in the opening show. So I dressed up in some silver outfit and stood on a wall in front of Spaceship Earth holding balloons. ( I assumed I released them on que, but I dont remember).

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled trip down memory lane now....

It's great to hear about the original attractions and rides in FW; it was a totally different park, wasn't it? I must be older than you, or we didn't have cable beyond the 12 channels when I would have been Disney Channel age. I think I was probably in college before my parents splurged for the "deluxe" channels like MTV. I remember watching the contest where people sent in their own videos for Madonna's True Blue video for hours while I studied for some exam. That would have been about 1986 I think.

Marita, I loved your trip down memory lane, too. It's wonderful that you have the perspective of being there from it's tiny beginnings!

For me the surprise attraction of this pavilion was Cranium Command. I LOVED that show; so much so, that Pete and I went through twice. I don’t know what it was about it that was so enjoyable, it was just a fun show to watch.
::yes:: It was hysterical!

We headed over to Horizons to get a glimpse of our future. It’s hard to say how much of my memory from this attraction comes from this one and only ride I took through, and how much comes from the video clips I’ve seen of it online. I DO remember the orange grove with its olfactory stimuli and that the entire thing reminded me of the exit queue for Space Mountain. (Albeit on a much grander scale.)
Oh, how I miss Horizons! I liked being able to pick your place to live at the end. And I agree - it totally reminded me of the SM exit.

I wound up in a restaurant in Communicore West which was either Pasta Piazza or Sunshine Terrace. (I’m not sure what it was called at the time, but it had Pizza so I’m guessing the former
After reading your food description, I'd have to agree. It may indeed have been enhanced by your state of imminent starvation, but Pasta Piazza served some GOOD pizza! :thumbsup2
…which was actually the latter occupant of said location…if that makes sense, you should seek medical attention.)
Ooops. :blush:

Hey, Biscuit - I'm thoroughly enjoying your trip through memory lane. You're hilarious!:goodvibes

Pink
Thanks and welcome! Glad to have you here!

Yea another update!! I had a similar experience with food once...I was given a ham sandwich (bread and 2 slices of ham) at the hospital after the birth of our first child (yep hospital food!). I had not eaten for almost 20 hours (I don't count an IV as eating) and when they gave me that sandwich...Holy Cow (or pig as it may be) it still sits in my mind as the best sandwich I have ever eaten! :confused3 My DH and sister both swear it was stale and the ham was questionable but I was in LOVE!!!

And just so you know...I wish the Disney Chanel would do more park items too...The Suite Life and Miss Montana are so overly done!!! Even my 4 year old will say...what the suite life again mommy?? Now that's bad coming from a child who has watched the Lilo & Stitch movie so much that the DVD is getting worn out.

popcorn::waiting to see what happens next!!
Glad to know I'm not the only one with hunger induced food euphoria. As to Suite Life...I fell your pain.

Another great update, GB!

I can imagine 2 teenage boys running around having fun.

I will give you my history, if I may.

Back in 1980 or so, I was tagged to be Supervisor of Capital Assets. You know, record assets on the books, blah blah, boring stuff. But Epcot was on the horfizon and happened. Lots of millions of dollars worth of assets to be recorded on the books with original cost and estimated life and all that stuff. It was a HUGE task, HUGE I tell you.

I walked Epcot when it was under construction, in piles of sand with a hard hat. I noticed our partners in Property Control putting asset tags on the front of fancy show equipment in the France dining room (you DO NOT put Asset tags in view of guests). I jumped over water somewhere, some attraction. I dont remember where.

I walked in World Showcase with the VP of Tax before the opening. Everything was brand new. The walkways were bright pink. Or rose color if you prefer. There was nobody around. Just Jose and me, LOL.

They had a huge party for salaried CM's before the official opening. This was in the days before they cut out the alcohol for just about everything. So it was unlimited food and wine and drink. I remember it was a very rainy night. DH and I walked around with a BIG red umbrella. They had food and drink stations set up all over the place. I got rather plastered. :rolleyes:

There was a big ceremony on opening day. I was too ignorant or shy to ask if I could go as a guest since I was so involved in the project. So I signed up to be in the opening show. So I dressed up in some silver outfit and stood on a wall in front of Spaceship Earth holding balloons. ( I assumed I released them on que, but I dont remember).

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled trip down memory lane now....
Okay, this was just flat out AWESOME! How cool is it that you were there for the birth of Epcot?
It's great to hear about the original attractions and rides in FW; it was a totally different park, wasn't it? I must be older than you, or we didn't have cable beyond the 12 channels when I would have been Disney Channel age. I think I was probably in college before my parents splurged for the "deluxe" channels like MTV. I remember watching the contest where people sent in their own videos for Madonna's True Blue video for hours while I studied for some exam. That would have been about 1986 I think.

Marita, I loved your trip down memory lane, too. It's wonderful that you have the perspective of being there from it's tiny beginnings!
I'm not sure how we lucked out on the Disney Channel. When we moved from West Texas to Central Texas Disney was a premium, pay extra channel, but in our old town it was included in basic cable. Fortunately after about 3-4 months of doing without, my parents had us upgraded. GO MOM & DAD!
:cheer2:
More, more, more

Pleasepopcorn::
I'm preparring an unscheduled minisode even as we speak.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter