Biscuit's Grand Adventure | An epic tale three decades in the making!

Episode 49 – Bring on the Magic!

Previously on Biscuit’s Grand Adventure, shuttles were delayed, pit stops were made, and we finally arrived at Orlando International.

I closed the previous episode with a shared excitement between myself and Tahli over our arrival in Orlando. Though I was excited to get to The World, I was even more excited for the girls. As I mentioned in the Pre-Trip, this past year of working nights has been hard on all of us. It has been especially difficult for Tahli. I wanted this trip to be a special time for her and for us as a family. When we landed, as she watched the ground below, I watched her. The wonder and excitement in her eyes was more precious to me than the trip itself.

Once we landed, the clan looked to me to navigate us successfully to the Magical Express counter, but not until we had a quick potty break. Once all minds and other relevant parts were clear, it was time to sally forth. Luckily I had spent some time on the DIS transportation board and the Orlando International Airport website so I had a handy dandy map & directions all printed out and added to my “plan” folder. The directions on the DIS were spot-on. We headed to the monorail and were soon whisking towards the main concourse.

I was shocked on our way through by just how long the security lines were. It was a MADHOUSE! Deep down, I was sad to know that it would soon be us, but I pushed those thoughts aside and quickly rallied up a war cry. (Sorry about that if you were behind me…those darned continental breakfasts you know.)

I snaked us through Level Three like I actually knew where I was going, and in short order, we discovered the elevators to Level One, Side B. (Much to the relief of Tahli I might add, who was NOT feeling the love on riding the escalator.) Once we reached the first floor, it was just a quick jog to the left to reach the Magical Express check in desk.

Now at this point, I was a bit nervous. I have a slight confession to make in that I was not fully prepared for Magical Express check in. I had called Central Reservations several times over the course of the previous months, confirming reservation numbers, dates, what have you. I had even called to verify they had our flight info. But for some reason, I never got the Magical Express welcome packet. You know, the one with the handy yellow tags? And since I didn’t think to venture over to the Transportation Board until 3 days prior to our trip, I had no clue that there even was such a creature as a Magical Express Yellow Tag until the very last minute.

I flew into full on panic mode and called the Magical Express number (which I learned from the Transportation Board is NOT the same as Central Reservations) and was assured by the Cast Member who answered that all would be well with the world. I was instructed to simply bring our baggage claim tickets to the counter and they would handle the rest. Whew. That’s a relief…sort of…but I was still a bit worried about it.

There was no line at the desk and we were soon checked in by a friendly CM from Philadelphia. (Sorry, I forgot to record his name….SHAME I know…I’ll put myself in timeout later.) I remember he was from Philly because he was an Eagles fan and commented on my Dallas Cowboys shirt. I gave him my claim tickets, he said “No problem Mr. Biscuit” and after some authoritative key clicking, he smiled and wished me a magical day. We then headed down the red carpet and presented our Magcial Express boarding pass. The CM there was from New York, and wanted to know why the Cowboys had to send “TO” to Buffalo. (I couldn’t tell you but I have to say, I wasn’t crying when he left.)

We were directed to the proper lane and got in line. I did a quick update on my live report, reminded the kids not to play with the ropes, and within 20 minutes, we were being led out to our bus. We wound up with a Disney Cruise Lines bus, which I first thought was kind of cool until I realized the port hole window treatments made it impossible to get a good shot of the Disney World gate. DOH!

The promo video playing helped pass the time quickly and we were soon cruising up the drive to the Pop. (Get it, cruising, DCL Bus….never mind.) I was seated on the right hand side and I remember first glimpsing the top of one of the bowling pins through the window. The feeling was a bit surreal. I was ACTUALLY getting ready to check in for my first ever stay on property! How cool is that?

It’s strange how even when you have seen countless photos of place, it is always a little bit different when you actually see it in person.

Before I proceed any further, I should offer up a word about photos. I took a lot of “scenery photos” that by themselves seemed odd, but I took them with a greater purpose in mind, namely panoramics. Using Windows Live Photo, you can stitch multiple pictures together to create one large picture, and you will find several scattered about this TR. The only weird thing about it is that sometimes foreground elements are removed or blended, resulting in ghost images. So if you encounter a few odd spooks, never fear. The Haunted Mansion still contains all 999 Happy Haunts. (NoMel) We now resume our regularly scheduled programming.

When Magical Express drops you off, you enter on the right hand end of the main building. As you walk in, the check in/out desk is to your left, the TV room is immediately to your right, and at the end of the long hallway is Everything Pop. (Gift Shop & Food Court.)

(Composited from 8 photos, taken our first day later that afternoon.)

See what happens when stay in the parks too long? Your legs rebel and detach themselves for a rest at your resort!

Papa and I entered the check in line to handle the particulars, while Tracy and Nana took the kids to the TV room.

(Composited from 15 photos, taken during checkout on our last day.)

After about 10 minutes of waiting, we spoke with the first CM at the rolling laptop podium. He was working his way down the line to ensure no one was waiting unnecessarily to checkout. He was from a town very near my hometown, and used to work at one of our local TV stations. Queue the music “It’s a world of laughter, a world of cheer….” A few minutes later and we were checking in with Tyng from Singapore. She was an awesome CM and was all smiles. She found us two rooms next to each other in Building 5, third floor, just above the kiddie pool. Best of all, they were ready now! DOUBLE SCORE!

We collected the rest of crew and headed in the general direction of our rooms. At the end of the lobby in the Pop Century, there is a cross hallway. (Think of the main lobby as a capital T turned sideways.) When you reach the end, if you turn left, there is a short hallway with a DVC booth, and a room I discovered was used to triage someone when an ambulance is called (no it wasn’t any of us), and at the end of the hallway is a door that leads to the busses. Directly in front of you is Everything Pop. To your right, is another short hallway that contains the Fast Forward Arcade, restrooms & payphones, and at the end a door that leads outside to the heart of the resort.
everythingpop-jpg.404608

everythingpop-jpg.404610

(Composited from 6 photos, taken later in the afternoon of our first day.)

Left to the Bus, Right to the Arcade & Hippy Dippy Pool/Rooms

I lead us out door number 2 and in the general direction of Building 5. I was not sure where the elevators were (I was so excited I forgot to ask) so I hauled us up the first set of stairs I came to. We eventually found our way to our rooms and managed to locate the elevators & ice machine in the process. (If you are ever there and need the elevator, they are located in the middle of the buildings behind the giant icons…which in our case was Baloo & Mowgli.)

Our room numbers were 5307 & 5308 and we were located to the right of the characters, about half way down.

When we arrived at our rooms, the door to ours was already open and there was a crew inside touching up the paint on one of the walls. We told them we would be next door and stowed our carry on luggage in Nana & Papa’s room. My first impression? Small, but nice, and very clean. The room looked like it was brand new.

We sat around for a couple of minutes to decide on a plan of action. Soon there was a knock at the door and the painters told us they were done and that the walls would be dry in ten minutes. I didn’t want to be a skeptic, but either they were using some miracle paint or he was “exaggerating”. I went ahead and transferred our carry-ons to our room, and took a quick photo before the girls moved in.

(If you look closely at the back / right walls, you can see where the paint was touched up. It blended perfectly once it was dry.)

I also needed to make a quick pit stop. (At the airport, I guarded our luggage while the crew handled their business.) And so it was that I was introduced to the infamous Pop Century commodes. I had heard the stories about how you can hear them flushing in other rooms at night. I simply attributed it to thin walls. Then I pulled the handle. Had I not just cleared the deck, I would have had a biological malfunction. I must have jumped a foot. This was a throne which flushed with authority! I half expected to see an artillery shell go flying out the back of the thing. I stood there for a moment in awe. Yet I had to wonder who in their right mind thought it would be a positive thing to install a nuclear powered toilet in a resort. Then I spent a couple of days on the Disney Dining Plan. Suddenly the sheer genius of the design became crystal clear. But that’s getting ahead of myself.

By this time the girls had made it to our room, accompanied by a chorus of “DON’T TOUCH THE WALL!” Which the mostly did not do. (We did notice a tiny smidge of paint on Hailee’s knee a little bit later.) They loved the resort already and couldn’t wait to try out the pool. Unfortunately, their swimsuits were in our regular luggage which we could only hope was on its way from the airport. Would our bags all make it? Would the kids take a nap? We’ll see. But for now, we’re here, the girls are in awe, and Biscuit is euphoric.

Coming up on Episode 50 – A Dining Newbie No-More.

Attachments

• EverythingPop.JPG
    EverythingPop.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
GB -

I can't find the post to quote it, but you said something about the amount of bathrooms you get to see when traveling with little girls....

By the time I was 7, the joke in our family was that I could write a guidebook to restrooms across America. By the time I was old enough to "go alone," the family FULLY EXPECTED a report of the decor, quality of ...ammenities, etc. as soon as I returned from my little trip.

Nowadays, I still appreciate a good restroom (don't we all?!?!) but I wish I could write a guide to the best spas across America. :goodvibes

And thanks for the kind words. You are helping me stay on track with my report!

Have a great day (and don't melt!)

Mrs. Spratt

Eekkk I'm late! Two postings so far! I love the legs walking to rest on their own. Mine felt like that several days we were there. Cool pics of the hotel! It will make for awesome memories!

Looking forward to more!
popcorn::

GB -

I can't find the post to quote it, but you said something about the amount of bathrooms you get to see when traveling with little girls....

By the time I was 7, the joke in our family was that I could write a guidebook to restrooms across America. By the time I was old enough to "go alone," the family FULLY EXPECTED a report of the decor, quality of ...ammenities, etc. as soon as I returned from my little trip.
:lmao:

Nowadays, I still appreciate a good restroom (don't we all?!?!) but I wish I could write a guide to the best spas across America. :goodvibes

And thanks for the kind words. You are helping me stay on track with my report!

Have a great day (and don't melt!)

Mrs. Spratt
You too...it's hard to tell what it's like outside in a windowless room full of grey cubicles, but I"m assuming it is quite warm.

Eekkk I'm late! Two postings so far! I love the legs walking to rest on their own. Mine felt like that several days we were there. Cool pics of the hotel! It will make for awesome memories!

Looking forward to more!
popcorn::
Welcome back! Glad you liked the pics. I can't wait to get started on the scrapbooks. But I'm going to anyway. Because I like to procrastinate...even when there is no good reason.

Fabulous arrival and great pics, GB. Love the blended together ones. So glad I checked tonight, I didn't expect an update till tomorrow.

WooHoo on 3 updates a week! :cool1:

Thanks! I was just getting ready to post an update when I saw your post. Hope you guys are doing well out in Cali! (At leat I THINK I remember you guys being in Cali and DH working at Universal....two weeks away from the DIS and your mind goes a little blank!)

EDITED _ Nevermind _ I saw your Avatar Tag - Cali it is. (See I knew I wasn't completely wonky!)

We are doing very well thanks for asking. Hubby is a bit nuts with work right now being the summer season is on and the park is getting insane. :scared:

Would you believe I'm still trying to finish our honeymoon TR. Pathetic I know. :sad2: I am at least on the second to the last day of our trip, I just need to get my butt in gear and start typing away.

Anyway, fabulous update and I could feel the excitement of being there in your writing. Can't wait for more!

Oh my gosh! That paragraph about the POP toilets was over the top funny! Thanks for my morning chuckles!

Those little smudges of paint don't lie, do they? But hey, a little paint on the pants is so not worth even worrying about when you're at Disney is it?

Great start!

Hey, This is an awsome TR!! I really like your writing style. Pop looks like a lot of fun. Not sure if you 'know' me...I am All7OfUs's DD16, and also her most reliable underground worker for her evil plot of taking another Disney trip.

Love the composite pictures - what a neat idea. Is Live Photo a PowerToy or anything like that? I would be interested in playing around with it...

You are hilarious-I was laughing at loud about you commentary on the toliet! :rotfl: :lmao::rotfl2:

When we landed, as she watched the ground below, I watched her. The wonder and excitement in her eyes was more precious to me than the trip itself.

03940021.jpg

(Nikon N60, Sigma 28-80, Aperture Priority Mode, f3.5, 1/750, ISO 400)

This is such a sweet picture.
I was instructed to simply bring our baggage claim tickets to the counter and they would handle the rest. Whew. That’s a relief…sort of…but I was still a bit worried about it

I had NO idea you could do that! Before I commit that tip to memory, I'm going to wait to see how long before your bags show. :rolleyes1

It’s strange how even when you have seen countless photos of place, it is always a little bit different when you actually see it in person.

This is SO true.

Loving the TR so far! Your enthusiasm is making me excited for our trip!

The wonder and excitement in her eyes was more precious to me than the trip itself.

So true. I especially love watching my DS while we're at the world. It makes any issues or stresses just melt away :goodvibes

Fabulous update, as usual :worship: Love the panoramic shots you stitched together. Neat! :woohoo: Now you have me thinking about switching our next stay at ASMu to POP, or maybe we'll just have to go again and stay at POP ;)

PS - thanks again for the LGMH template...having fun making my new LGMH with it!

GB -

What a fabulous start!

I almost sprayed water all over my monitor with the description of the toilets...

Can't wait for more!

Auntie Spratt

03940021.jpg

(Nikon N60, Sigma 28-80, Aperture Priority Mode, f3.5, 1/750, ISO 400)
Beautiful! :goodvibes

I gave him my claim tickets, he said “No problem Mr. Biscuit” and after some authoritative key clicking, he smiled and wished me a magical day. We then headed down the red carpet and presented our Magcial Express boarding pass.
:scared: This scares me enormously. I'm a control freak when it comes to luggage - I'm the one straining in my window seat, trying to locate my suitcase coming on and going off the plane.

I was ACTUALLY getting ready to check in for my first ever stay on property!
OH, I'd forgotten that! :woohoo:

Using Windows Live Photo, you can stitch multiple pictures together to create one large picture, and you will find several scattered about this TR.
:thumbsup2 Very, very cool!

I had heard the stories about how you can hear them flushing in other rooms at night. I simply attributed it to thin walls. Then I pulled the handle. Had I not just cleared the deck, I would have had a biological malfunction. I must have jumped a foot. This was a throne which flushed with authority! I half expected to see an artillery shell go flying out the back of the thing. I stood there for a moment in awe. Yet I had to wonder who in their right mind thought it would be a positive thing to install a nuclear powered toilet in a resort. Then I spent a couple of days on the Disney Dining Plan. Suddenly the sheer genius of the design became crystal clear.
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

GreatBiscuit said:
I gave him my claim tickets, he said “No problem Mr. Biscuit” and after some authoritative key clicking, he smiled and wished me a magical day. We then headed down the red carpet and presented our Magcial Express boarding pass.

:scared: This scares me enormously. I'm a control freak when it comes to luggage - I'm the one straining in my window seat, trying to locate my suitcase coming on and going off the plane.

I'm with ya, V. I have severe luggage control/anxiety. My husband rolls his eyes at me all the time over that. One of these days, they're really going to lose my luggage, then I can say "I told ya so" :rotfl2:

They loved the resort already and couldn’t wait to try out the pool. Unfortunately, their swimsuits were in our regular luggage which we could only hope was on its way from the airport.

Oh, c'mon GB. You broke the #1 rule of carry-on preparedness. The swimsuits should ALWAYS be in the carry-ons!!

I'm excited for you all. Can't wait to hear more!! Thanks in advance for your efforts on the frequent update front ;)

Fabulous arrival and great pics, GB. Love the blended together ones. So glad I checked tonight, I didn't expect an update till tomorrow.
Hey BSG! Glad you liked the photos!

We are doing very well thanks for asking. Hubby is a bit nuts with work right now being the summer season is on and the park is getting insane. :scared:
I hear you! Hurricane season is our busy time due to all the emergency response support we do. I like being busy, but I’m glad when it’s over.

Would you believe I'm still trying to finish our honeymoon TR. Pathetic I know. :sad2: I am at least on the second to the last day of our trip, I just need to get my butt in gear and start typing away.
It’s all good! I can’t wait to see how it all turns out. And if you do any more partying with Slash I expect an update!

Oh my gosh! That paragraph about the POP toilets was over the top funny! Thanks for my morning chuckles!
Happy to oblige!

Those little smudges of paint don't lie, do they? But hey, a little paint on the pants is so not worth even worrying about when you're at Disney is it?
Fortunately she had on some of those hybrid britches so it was on her knee. I don’t know what you call them…it’s technically not a skort (at least I don’t think it is) it’s a full jean skirt with cloth shorts attached underneath. Whatever they are, the girls own several pairs.

Hey, This is an awsome TR!! I really like your writing style. Pop looks like a lot of fun. Not sure if you 'know' me...I am All7OfUs's DD16, and also her most reliable underground worker for her evil plot of taking another Disney trip.
Howdy and :welcome: Glad to have you aboard. I’m all in favor of Disney Trip plotting!

Laugh out loud funny GB!:lmao:
Thanks Burly!

Love the composite pictures - what a neat idea. Is Live Photo a PowerToy or anything like that? I would be interested in playing around with it...
It was actually a free download from Microsoft. (Shocker I know!) It’s designed for Vista, and is pretty easy to use. To create a panoramic photo, you launch the software, pull up the folder, highlight the pics, right click, and select Create Panoramic Photo. The one drawback is when it comes to cleanup. Once you stitch the photos together, you have to crop out the edges. On larger pics, Windows Live Photo errors out so you have to use a secondary editing app. I used MS Office Photo Manager and it worked like a dream.

You are hilarious-I was laughing at loud about you commentary on the toliet! :rotfl: :lmao::rotfl2:
Thanks! A fellow never can tell how toilet commentary will be received.

This is such a sweet picture.
So far it’s one of my favs! I still have 18 rolls of film that are yet to be developed.

I had NO idea you could do that! Before I commit that tip to memory, I'm going to wait to see how long before your bags show. :rolleyes1
It actually worked out very well….eventually.

Loving the TR so far! Your enthusiasm is making me excited for our trip!
Thanks Beka! I hope you have a FANTASTIC trip!

So true. I especially love watching my DS while we're at the world. It makes any issues or stresses just melt away :goodvibes
I was surprised by just how different my focus was when touring with my kids.

Love the panoramic shots you stitched together. Neat! :woohoo: Now you have me thinking about switching our next stay at ASMu to POP, or maybe we'll just have to go again and stay at POP ;)
Glad you enjoyed it! I had a ton of fun making the panoramic photos. I haven’t been to the All Star resorts, so I can’t compare them, but we seriously LOVED the Pop Century.

PS - thanks again for the LGMH template...having fun making my new LGMH with it!
No Problem! I hope you enjoy!

I almost sprayed water all over my monitor with the description of the toilets...
:rotfl: Well, thank goodness you were able to contain it!

This scares me enormously. I'm a control freak when it comes to luggage - I'm the one straining in my window seat, trying to locate my suitcase coming on and going off the plane.
Fear not! It all turned out okay! Mostly. The issue we had was minor and had nothing to do yellow tags.

Excellent pictures! I can't wait to hear more!
Thanks! I’m happily writing the next episode now.

I'm with ya, V. I have severe luggage control/anxiety. My husband rolls his eyes at me all the time over that. One of these days, they're really going to lose my luggage, then I can say "I told ya so" :rotfl2:
:lmao:

Oh, c'mon GB. You broke the #1 rule of carry-on preparedness. The swimsuits should ALWAYS be in the carry-ons!!
There was actually some reasoning behind this. I’ll explain it in the next chapter.

I'm excited for you all. Can't wait to hear more!! Thanks in advance for your efforts on the frequent update front
No problem!

Just recently came upon your trip report and loving every bit of it! I'm so glad you got back to Disney with your family. The panoramic pictures are great and making my teeth ache to be back at Pop! We've stayed there 4 times (I think?) and I feel at "home" there. Last time we were in the Mogli/Baloo building but were on the back side not facing the pool (unfortunately). Great location though! Can't wait to read more!!! :cool1:

Just recently came upon your trip report and loving every bit of it! I'm so glad you got back to Disney with your family. The panoramic pictures are great and making my teeth ache to be back at Pop! We've stayed there 4 times (I think?) and I feel at "home" there. Last time we were in the Mogli/Baloo building but were on the back side not facing the pool (unfortunately). Great location though! Can't wait to read more!!! :cool1:
:welcome: Glad to have you here! The Pop was such a cool resort. I was not prepared for how much I would love this place. We definitely did love the locale, but it WAS as bit noisy at times. Not terrible though, I'd be happy with the same room again!

I haven't gotten through all of it but I love your TR! Your kids are adorable and I love your pictures of Pop. We had the exact same reaction to the toilet at the Poly!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter