Biscuit's Grand Adventure | An epic tale three decades in the making!

Episode 46 - "As I Recall": A 1976 Retro Report by Papa Biscuit

A few episodes back, I mentioned that my Dad had struck upon the idea of possibly writing a TR about my very first EVER trip when I was 3. After a bit of pestering and collaborating with my mom, he has completed his opus. My mom emailed me the final update last week, and I now post it for your reading pleasure. I look forward to reporting on our upcoming trip soon!
Great Biscuit has thrown out the challenge so now it is up to the Mother and Father Loaf (hereafter referred to as ML and FL) to respond. Please keep in mind that we don’t have as much yeast as in days gone by so our report will not be as colorful as that of the offspring Biscuit.

If you have followed the TR (see we can use acronyms too) of GB, you know that the FL has always had kind of a sick fascination with Time Share companies. GB’s first trip to Disney began with a simple ad in TV Guide. The ad stated that for $29.99 you could get three nights in a hotel, breakfast daily and two free tickets to Disney.

There was only one small detail added to that – you had to listen to the sales picth for a time share in order to get your free tickets. FL saw this as quite the challenge, so the reservation was made. ML packed the clothes, got the “on the road” bag ready, and off we went for GB’s Grand Adventure.

The road trip from Tennessee to Orlando was fairly uneventful. GB slept well in the car and I like to drive at night. As I recall we left around 10:00 pm. ML and GB were asleep within thirty minutes and I had the rest of the night to drive and talk on the CB. Of course, I also went through an entire package of beef jerky with two or three RC’s from the cooler. It was sheer heaven!

We arrived at the “hotel” about noon. It was literally in the middle of an orange grove. It was actually a budget motel but it was clean, had a pool and we were getting tickets to Disney so it didn’t matter. We spent the afternoon in the pool and thinking about our trip to Disney on the next day.

After a good nights sleep, we went to the breakfast in the dining room and prepared to listen to the 2 hour sales pitch. I was already thinking about how I could string them along and then at the last minute reel them in. ML reminded me several times during breakfast to wipe the silly grin off my face. After breakfast, the sales manager took the microphone and much to my surprise said, “ If you are sincerely interested in buying property please stay with us, if not pick up your tickets at the front desk and enjoy your day at Disney. “

Oh no, what about my plan of attack! I could see by the look on ML’s face that staying for the presentation was not an option. She was already standing and getting GB loaded into his stroller. I had just driven 16 hours and wasn’t going to get to toy with someone’s mind! But a wise man knows that when the ML speaks, it’s time for action. So with great disappointment I got up and for the first time ever walked away from the time share dude. I have to say, it was a sad day for the FL. I wasn’t sure that even a trip to the MK could lift my spirits. WRONG!

As I recall, the trip to WDW was about 30 minutes from where we were staying. I remember being amazed at the size of the parking lot. We had not moved to Texas at that time so we weren’t used to everything being big. We parked, made note of where we were and began to load up for the day. Not being nearly as organized as GB, it did not take long. It was pretty much put GB in the stroller, grab the diaper bag and go. We waited for the next shuttle and headed up to the main gate.

I believe we rode a boat over to the main park but that might have been on another trip. Shoot, with my memory it might have been in another lifetime. Anyway, we finally go to THE gate and made our way inside. Main Street was amazing. We strolled down the street and basically followed the crowd. I really don’t remember what order we went in or even most of the rides. I do remember we ate a Pinnochio’s.

And rode The Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Caribbean, which GB loved!

We also rode Dumbo and did It’s a Small World.

FatherLoaf and GreatBiscuit (Age 2). Yes, the 70's were a very hairy decade.

GB was in awe most of the day. He loved every minute of it and because of that, so did we.

We also saw America on Parade. GB loved that as well.

After the end of a long and happy day, we went into some of the shops, and bought a few souvenirs (although I don’t remember what or where they are now). We then got in a big line, waited a long time and finally headed to the car. It had been a magical day and little did we know that we had started the great love GB would have for WDW.

We were not nearly as prepared for that trip as we are for this one, thanks to the planning of GB. We have our transportation, our reservations, our meals, our back packs, our spreadsheet – none of which we had the first time. But the one thing about our first trip to WDW with GB remains the same on this trip – we will be seeing the magic through the eyes of children we adore. And isn’t that really what it’s all about!

Thanks to GB and First Lady Biscuit for including the “Old Folks” on this one. We can’t wait!

PS - Three weeks after we went to WDW, ML’s brother and his new bride went to the same time share on the same $29 deal we had. Unfortunately in the 3 weeks since we had been there, it had gone into receivership and no longer was open, stranding them with no motel or park tickets. Oops! Maybe that should have been a sign that our family, honeymoons and WDW just don’t make a good combination.

Coming up on Episode 47 – The Live Broadcast.

Last edited:
What a sweet update, thanks GB's dad! Dang, I'm even sorry myself you got cheated out of that timeshare sales talk, LOL

Loved it! Wish the whole GB clan a safe and wonderful trip!

GB even on your very first trip you ate at PVH! You HAVE TO AT LEAST GET A COKE FROM THERE! Don't break the record!!!!!! :laughing:

FL, I'm sorry to hear you didn't get to wrangle the timeshare dude! ;)

But the one thing about our first trip to WDW with GB remains the same on this trip – we will be seeing the magic through the eyes of children we adore. And isn’t that really what it’s all about!

Yes, exactly. And it's such a wonderful thing to experience. :love:

Our church is having a week long conference so we are busy, busy this week-I don't know if I'll be back on before you leave, so if I am not....HAVE A FANTASTIC TRIP!!! I look forward to reading all about it when you get back. :goodvibes

aw what a great way to end your PTR!

Have a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be anxiously awaiting your trip details when you return. :)

The CB, beef jerky, and RC Cola all to yourself? All night? Father Loaf (do you maybe have another son named Meat?), you are as funny and entertaining as your son.

I think you need to write a TR of your own. Heck, you need to collaborate with GB and write a sitcom of your own. Some possible names:

Loaf 'N Biscuit?
Happy Days (at WDW)
I Love Biscuit
Make Room for Biscuit
Biscuit Knows Best
Get Smart (with the Time Share Salesman)
The Biscuit Bunch
All in the Timeshare
Everybody Loves Biscuit
Biscuit in the Middle
That Biscuit Show

GB: have a WONDERFUL time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Biscuit has thrown out the challenge so now it is up to the Mother and Father Loaf ( hereafter referred to as ML and FL) to respond. Please keep in mind that we don’t have as much yeast as in days gone by so our report will not be as colorful as that of the offspring Biscuit.

This paragraph alone proves that you are definitely part what make GreatBiscut great!

If you have followed the TR (see we can use acronyms too) of GB

:lmao:

“ If you are sincerely interested in buying property please stay with us, if not pick up your tickets at the front desk and enjoy your day at Disney. “

Oh no, what about my plan of attack! I could see by the look on ML’s face that staying for the presentation was not an option. She was already standing and getting GB loaded into his stroller. I had just driven 16 hours and wasn’t going to get to toy with someone’s mind! But a wise man knows that when the ML speaks, it’s time for action. So with great disappointment I got up and for the first time ever walked away from the time share dude. I have to say, it was a sad day for the FL.

A very sad day indeed! That poor timeshare guy doesn't know how lucky he was that day!

But the one thing about our first trip to WDW with GB remains the same on this trip – we will be seeing the magic through the eyes of children we adore. And isn’t that really what it’s all about!

Yes it is! I can't wait to hear all about the trip! And I hope we hear some lovely Mother and Father Loaf commentary too!

ONLY 2 DAYS LEFT!:cool1:

What a sweet update, thanks GB's dad! Dang, I'm even sorry myself you got cheated out of that timeshare sales talk, LOL

Loved it! Wish the whole GB clan a safe and wonderful trip!
Thanks BSG! Doing the 2 day :banana:

GB even on your very first trip you ate at PVH! You HAVE TO AT LEAST GET A COKE FROM THERE! Don't break the record!!!!!! :laughing:
I'm sure we'll stop in a LEAST once.

Our church is having a week long conference so we are busy, busy this week-I don't know if I'll be back on before you leave, so if I am not....HAVE A FANTASTIC TRIP!!! I look forward to reading all about it when you get back. :goodvibes
Thanks! Have a great week!

aw what a great way to end your PTR!

Have a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be anxiously awaiting your trip details when you return. :)
Thanks! It's been a week...can't WAIT to start vacation!

The CB, beef jerky, and RC Cola all to yourself? All night? Father Loaf (do you maybe have another son named Meat?), you are as funny and entertaining as your son.

I think you need to write a TR of your own. Heck, you need to collaborate with GB and write a sitcom of your own. Some possible names:

Loaf 'N Biscuit?
Happy Days (at WDW)
I Love Biscuit
Make Room for Biscuit
Biscuit Knows Best
Get Smart (with the Time Share Salesman)
The Biscuit Bunch
All in the Timeshare
Everybody Loves Biscuit
Biscuit in the Middle
That Biscuit Show

GB: have a WONDERFUL time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love the :happytv: suggestions. :lmao: I imagine there will be further calloborative updates.

Yes it is! I can't wait to hear all about the trip! And I hope we hear some lovely Mother and Father Loaf commentary too!

ONLY 2 DAYS LEFT!:cool1:
Thanks! We are doing the happy dance non stop.

Thanks for posting everyone. I've created a login for my folks so they can reply as well. (After 5+ months of lurking, I'd say it's about time.)

Okay, now I see where GB gets his charm and wit ;) Great blast from the past Dad! Loved it!!

I hope you all have an extremely wonderful trip, full of pixie dust and joy. And little rain.:thumbsup2

I can't wait to hear how it all turns out!!!:yay:

Bon Voyage!:wizard:

GB and LGB, the yummy crumbs and Nana and Papa bisquit. Have a great time! Can't wait to hear/read all about it. :banana::banana::banana::banana::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

After breakfast, the sales manager took the microphone and much to my surprise said, “ If you are sincerely interested in buying property please stay with us, if not pick up your tickets at the front desk and enjoy your day at Disney. “
But, but, but... you were so prepared! :sad2:
::yes::

Biscuits and Loaves - you're down to ONE DAY!!! :yay: In Fuzzy Disney Time, it's like you're already there. ;) Have a fantastic time all!

Whew!! All caught up again and just in time for you to leave for the great big world. Yes I still not so secretly wish it was me going but none the less.

YOU ARE LEAVING FOR THE WORLD TOMORROW!!!!! :cool1::cheer2::cool1::cheer2::banana::banana::cool1::cheer2::cool1::cheer2::cool1::banana::banana:

Have a GREAT time and can't wait to read all about it when you get back!

Okay, now I see where GB gets his charm and wit ;) Great blast from the past Dad! Loved it!!

I hope you all have an extremely wonderful trip, full of pixie dust and joy. And little rain.:thumbsup2

I can't wait to hear how it all turns out!!!:yay:

Bon Voyage!:wizard:
Thanks AC! We're going through the final day packing frenzy now! I have a list of stuff to pick up on my lunch break.

I know - it was a disappointment. But I have made up for it several times :)
:welcome: I'm glad the login worked! I'll be bringin my laptop on with us so I'll learn you how to multi-quote.

GB and LGB, the yummy crumbs and Nana and Papa bisquit. Have a great time! Can't wait to hear/read all about it. :banana::banana::banana::banana::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:
Thanks Burly! Can't Wait, Can't Wait, Can't Wait!

Now the whole biscuit clan is here.:worship::worship:
I have an uncontrollable urge to bust out into song. The Coca-Cola Christmas song to be specific. Which is odd, but sadly in character for me.

Biscuits and Loaves - you're down to ONE DAY!!! :yay: In Fuzzy Disney Time, it's like you're already there. ;) Have a fantastic time all!
Thanks PV!

Whew!! All caught up again and just in time for you to leave for the great big world. Yes I still not so secretly wish it was me going but none the less.

YOU ARE LEAVING FOR THE WORLD TOMORROW!!!!! :cool1::cheer2::cool1::cheer2::banana::banana::cool1::cheer2::cool1::cheer2::cool1::banana::banana:

Have a GREAT time and can't wait to read all about it when you get back!
Somehow missed you on the multiquote. (Better learn myself before I teach the parentals!)

Thanks for the well wishes. I understand completely. Having lived vicariously through the TR board for over a decade, I totally get that "wish it was me" sentiment.

ONE DAY, GB!!!! I'm so excited for y'all, you'd think I was going too!!

The "day before" is awesome. I swear, one of my favorite parts of any vacation is the total serenity of walking from my office building to my car with the whole wonderful week right out in front of me. And it doesn't even matter whether or not I'm already packed or if I have to get up at 3am the next morning to make my flight.

There are lots of opportunities for big anticipation before a Disney vacation from the original planning right up to bouncing in your seat on the Magical Express, or the outright chomping at the bit during the first approach to the Magic Kingdom.

But, somehow just walking away from the office, I can just feel the "real life" stuff just falling off of my shoulders knowing that for the next week I can just be a kid again. Now, if I could bottle THAT, I'd put Prozac and Xanax right out of business and I'd be rich enough to LIVE at WDW. I think I lost my train of thought...

Y'all have an awesome trip GB and family! And enjoy your "day before" too! :)

ONE DAY, GB!!!! I'm so excited for y'all, you'd think I was going too!!

The "day before" is awesome. I swear, one of my favorite parts of any vacation is the total serenity of walking from my office building to my car with the whole wonderful week right out in front of me. And it doesn't even matter whether or not I'm already packed or if I have to get up at 3am the next morning to make my flight.

There are lots of opportunities for big anticipation before a Disney vacation from the original planning right up to bouncing in your seat on the Magical Express, or the outright chomping at the bit during the first approach to the Magic Kingdom.

But, somehow just walking away from the office, I can just feel the "real life" stuff just falling off of my shoulders knowing that for the next week I can just be a kid again. Now, if I could bottle THAT, I'd put Prozac and Xanax right out of business and I'd be rich enough to LIVE at WDW. I think I lost my train of thought...

Y'all have an awesome trip GB and family! And enjoy your "day before" too! :)
I'm definitely feeling it. I just my last break before Disney, finished my last project before Disney, and can't wait to walk out of work for the last time before Disney. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTY!

:cheer2: Yay...the Biscuit Clan will be at WDW soon :banana: :banana: :cheer2: :yay:

FL - loved the Retro Report. Thanks for sharing :goodvibes

Lot's of pixiedust: throughout your trip!! Can't wait to hear all about it! :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter