Biscuit's Grand Adventure | An epic tale three decades in the making!

I, too, looked at every single bathroom picture that Timon posted!

We need breaks, too, except that it's the grown-ups that have the meltdowns around here!

Well you are the smart one aren't you....while I did the whole prep thing and showed my girls character pictures of people standing by....showing how big Mickey is and such I never thought to find a local amusent park and have a trial run....really wish I would have. My girls FREAKED at 1900 Park Fair on our first morning there. I mean Freaked....no food was eaten. My girls became very akin to monkeys and climbed up my DH and I to try and get away from the characters. I do however have a very funny picture of my youngest screaming bloody murder with pooh walking towards her. Boy howdy did we get the looks! They did okay with the "live" characters except for the Mad Hatter....I think it was the extremely large nose. Needless to say we had to cancel a few of our character dining reservations for the rest of the trip. :headache:

I'm very excited for you guys....you will have so much fun. I'm also looking forward to the tip you learned about handling dark rides with kids that are not so thrilled with them.popcorn::

Sounds like a very successful trial run! It's so great going into WDW knowing what kinda to expect. I think, in ways, WDW is more low-key than a Six Flags because of the style of rides - attractions of all sorts at WDW-mostly go fast/thrill stuff at Six Flags. There are so many simple things at WDW that a child finds enjoyment in, hopefully this will help with avoiding meltdowns as well.

I'm off to go check out that bathroom report! :thumbsup2

I knew at the time that we were leaning towards a trip to The World. To that end, I began to view this trip as a “Training Run” if you will. Now before you go crying Sacrilege, allow me to explain.
Not form me - I'm completely in favor of training runs! :thumbsup2 We've tested out a whole bunch of stuff at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay before taking our chances at WDW: strollers, cup holders, backpacks, shoes, water rides, kiddie rides done solo... I think it helps enormously!

(Maybe that is lesson 10 – Memories trump convenience Bubba!)
Mind if I weigh-in? YES!!! Take the camera. Trust V. ;)

I'm here. And way behind again. I've been reading bits and pieces, but have never been able to catch up to the end so I could post. So....here are my thoughts on the last few chapters:

Dining is my favorite topic! Have you looked at the dining boards at all? I am a convert and a big fan of the dining TRs. Especially when there are pictures! Warning: Don't read when you're hungry. Or after eating a less than satisfying meal. Like a Lean Cuisine.:rolleyes:

Love O'hana. Whispering Canyon is fun but loud. Are your girls up for loud? My son didn't love the decibels when he was younger. Hope Mama Melrose works for you. We've have mixed experiences. I'm with you on the Chef Mickey's first night!! We actually always hit CMs twice. Once for the arrival night dinner and later in the week for b-fast.

Snacks: Don't forget the Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich at Main Street Bakery. They are handmade and HUGE. You can even pick which kind of cookie you want (I recommend Ch. Chip). Last time I checked, they were still a snack on the DDP. Which is a majorly good deal. And yes! Have a Dole Whip or three. LOVE THEM :lovestruc

That itinerary....WOW!! I, like the rest of the crew here, are in awe of your mad skillz. I have a spreadsheet format, too, which I was pretty impressed with until I saw yours......;)

I'm also seconding the motion that you and your darling Tracy get to hit some of the more grown up rides, especially Everest, RNRC and TOT. And BTMRR was my kids FAVORITE ride at 3 and 5. So don't rule it out completely, okay? It's really pretty tame. Heck, if they can handle the Splash drop (can they?), BTMRR is small potatoes. (And it's a TRAIN!)

ETA: Philharmagic is AWESOME and I can't imagine any little girl wouldn't LOVE it. Planning for a quick exit is good, but I would try taking off glasses first. My youngest HATES 3-D (Can't even say HISTA around him) but LOVES LOVES LOVES Philharmagic. If they don't like dark, you are very wise to steer clear of POTC and the Haunted Mansion (my teens STILL won't ride the latter due to me traumatizing them in their youth by taking them on it and telling them it was "more funny than scary". It think I was right, but they HATE IT and will resent me forever for that decision...)

I am VERY excited for you and will be waiting on pins and needles to hear how it all turns out!:cheer2:

Hi GB! Well back from the graduation celebration, it was fabulous.:dance3:
While i didn't really "enjoy" Pop. It is a fabulous resort for families with "little kids". Remember to take some time to walk the resort and read signs/take photo's etc. :moped:
I am trying to get life in order to write a trippie. but Grad party next sunday is first so......:laundy:
I would like to comment on San Antonio. I love love love that place. The feel of it, the look, the vibe. And Fiesta Texas, i could look up the coasters, but i won't, LAZY. I really loved the big fat wooden coaster.
Well its late so that means you have, maybe 11 days! Woot!.
Oh did TSM this trip. 3 times. Fun, fun fun. :3dglasses
Welcome back! I can’t wait to hear how everything went. We are definitely looking forward to the POP and TSM. The big wooden beast at Fiesta Texas is called the Rattler and it was well named.

I, too, looked at every single bathroom picture that Timon posted!

We need breaks, too, except that it's the grown-ups that have the meltdowns around here!
That’s too funny! I didn’t get through them all. I felt a little creepy looking at photos of ladies rooms. Maybe I can do a man version. I didn’t take adult meltdowns into account.

Well you are the smart one aren't you....while I did the whole prep thing and showed my girls character pictures of people standing by....showing how big Mickey is and such I never thought to find a local amusent park and have a trial run....really wish I would have. My girls FREAKED at 1900 Park Fair on our first morning there. I mean Freaked....no food was eaten. My girls became very akin to monkeys and climbed up my DH and I to try and get away from the characters. I do however have a very funny picture of my youngest screaming bloody murder with pooh walking towards her. Boy howdy did we get the looks! They did okay with the "live" characters except for the Mad Hatter....I think it was the extremely large nose. Needless to say we had to cancel a few of our character dining reservations for the rest of the trip. :headache:

I'm very excited for you guys....you will have so much fun. I'm also looking forward to the tip you learned about handling dark rides with kids that are not so thrilled with them.popcorn::
Sorry to hear about 1900 PF! I know that had to be a letdown.

Sounds like a very successful trial run! It's so great going into WDW knowing what kinda to expect. I think, in ways, WDW is more low-key than a Six Flags because of the style of rides - attractions of all sorts at WDW-mostly go fast/thrill stuff at Six Flags. There are so many simple things at WDW that a child finds enjoyment in, hopefully this will help with avoiding meltdowns as well.

I'm off to go check out that bathroom report! :thumbsup2
I would agree. I was a bit disappointed at Six Flags that there were so few attractions we could do as a family. That’s on thing I really looking forward to this time around.

Not form me - I'm completely in favor of training runs! :thumbsup2 We've tested out a whole bunch of stuff at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay before taking our chances at WDW: strollers, cup holders, backpacks, shoes, water rides, kiddie rides done solo... I think it helps enormously!

Mind if I weigh-in? YES!!! Take the camera. Trust V. ;)
Kudos to trial runs! As you will see in a few moments, I definitely followed the camera suggestion to its logical extreme.

I'm here. And way behind again. I've been reading bits and pieces, but have never been able to catch up to the end so I could post. So....here are my thoughts on the last few chapters:

Dining is my favorite topic! Have you looked at the dining boards at all? I am a convert and a big fan of the dining TRs. Especially when there are pictures! Warning: Don't read when you're hungry. Or after eating a less than satisfying meal. Like a Lean Cuisine.:rolleyes:

Love O'hana. Whispering Canyon is fun but loud. Are your girls up for loud? My son didn't love the decibels when he was younger. Hope Mama Melrose works for you. We've have mixed experiences. I'm with you on the Chef Mickey's first night!! We actually always hit CMs twice. Once for the arrival night dinner and later in the week for b-fast.

Snacks: Don't forget the Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich at Main Street Bakery. They are handmade and HUGE. You can even pick which kind of cookie you want (I recommend Ch. Chip). Last time I checked, they were still a snack on the DDP. Which is a majorly good deal. And yes! Have a Dole Whip or three. LOVE THEM :lovestruc

That itinerary....WOW!! I, like the rest of the crew here, are in awe of your mad skillz. I have a spreadsheet format, too, which I was pretty impressed with until I saw yours......;)

I'm also seconding the motion that you and your darling Tracy get to hit some of the more grown up rides, especially Everest, RNRC and TOT. And BTMRR was my kids FAVORITE ride at 3 and 5. So don't rule it out completely, okay? It's really pretty tame. Heck, if they can handle the Splash drop (can they?), BTMRR is small potatoes. (And it's a TRAIN!)

ETA: Philharmagic is AWESOME and I can't imagine any little girl wouldn't LOVE it. Planning for a quick exit is good, but I would try taking off glasses first. My youngest HATES 3-D (Can't even say HISTA around him) but LOVES LOVES LOVES Philharmagic. If they don't like dark, you are very wise to steer clear of POTC and the Haunted Mansion (my teens STILL won't ride the latter due to me traumatizing them in their youth by taking them on it and telling them it was "more funny than scary". It think I was right, but they HATE IT and will resent me forever for that decision...)

I am VERY excited for you and will be waiting on pins and needles to hear how it all turns out!:cheer2:
Hi AC! Haven’t spent a whole lot of time on the dining board, but now you’ve piqued my curiosity. For us, loud meals are the best. The ones we have the problems with are the “sit quietly in a socially acceptable posture” types. The snack ideas sounded AWESOME. As to the E-ticket rides, we are planning to ride as many as possible the first 4 days while we have backups to watch the girls. Unless something changes, I plan to keep my youngest well clear of HM. I MAY let 7 year old give a try IF she wants to. Pirates is listed as a MAYBE for both, but we’ll see how things are going on other attractions first.

Well, I’m off to update. See Ya Real Soon!

LONG time lurker, first time poster.

GB, I have loved every word of your report and I really can't wait to hear all about this month's trip. Neither my DH or I had ever been to WDW as kids so we "discovered" it together on our honeymoon almost 13 years ago. We have been back 3 times over the years and our next trip will be our first as parents. So... I'm really looking forward to your take on the difference between doing Disney with only grown-up "kids" versus parents w/little kids. :)

And, I gotta comment on that wonderfully geeky spreadsheet. I love it, but I must confess, my geekdom goes even further. Our DD is 2 years old now and we do not have her first WDW trip officially on the calendar just yet. But... I do have a spreadsheet that incorporates the height growth chart with WDW height restrictions. If she continues to grow at her current rate, I know about how old she'll be when she can ride Soarin' or Space Mountain or whatever. Until now, only my DH knew how demented I really am. Now it's out there for the world. :scared:

BTW... I am here in Central Texas, too, so we're practically neighbors!

LONG time lurker, first time poster.
AWESOME! :welcome: Congratulations on your first post! (You know there is not going back now right?)

GB, I have loved every word of your report and I really can't wait to hear all about this month's trip. Neither my DH or I had ever been to WDW as kids so we "discovered" it together on our honeymoon almost 13 years ago. We have been back 3 times over the years and our next trip will be our first as parents. So... I'm really looking forward to your take on the difference between doing Disney with only grown-up "kids" versus parents w/little kids. :)
Thanks so much! I am totally looking forward to experiencing Disney as a dad.

And, I gotta comment on that wonderfully geeky spreadsheet. I love it, but I must confess, my geekdom goes even further. Our DD is 2 years old now and we do not have her first WDW trip officially on the calendar just yet. But... I do have a spreadsheet that incorporates the height growth chart with WDW height restrictions. If she continues to grow at her current rate, I know about how old she'll be when she can ride Soarin' or Space Mountain or whatever. Until now, only my DH knew how demented I really am. Now it's out there for the world. :scared:
:lmao: I may or may not have studied growth charts when planning the timing of a return trip. :rolleyes1

BTW... I am here in Central Texas, too, so we're practically neighbors!
Awesome! HOWDY! If only Rusty Garrett could send some rain our way! :sad2:

Episode 42 - This Ain't Your Granny's Fanny Pack

DOING THE SINGLE DIGIT HAPPY DANCE! :cool1: Sorry about missing yesterday's update. I had an interesting day to say the least. Tracy's school is replacing the carpet in every classroom with tile, so the teachers had to COMPLETELY empty their rooms and take everything home for the summer. I took the day off work to help her get it cleared out. After spending all day schlepping boxes into a metal shed, in the summer, in Texas, I was wiped out. (I'm not sure if it qualifies as Disney Training or not, but I definitely got a workout.) So without further distraction, I give you today's (technically yesterday's) episode:

One of the more interesting things I have found in the many trip reports I've read is all of the handy things that some folks bring with them into the parks. I began to compile a list of those things which seemed to be of most benefit.

As the list began to grow, it soon became clear that the DIS beloved fanny pack would not be sufficient to store said goods, so I upgraded my hauling hardware to a backpack. (It had nothing to do with the fact that I wouldn't be caught in a casket wearing a fanny pack...seriously.) Several things were amended, the list was trimmed, redone, and pared down and those items which made the final cut are as follows.

Topping off our list is a collection of glow products. One of the tips I picked up from two different TR's was to give younger kids a glow stick to hold onto in dark rides to help them through the "scary parts". Both posters found it to be of benefit so I decided to give it a try. After some browsing and comparison shopping, I ordered a 25 count tube of 4" light sticks. They are small enough for the kids to keep up with, but put out a fairly good portion of light. These little boogers will pull double duty as a security light / nighttime fashion accessory.

The other glow item I picked up was a set of glow necklaces. I got enough for each kid to have one on each of our 3 EMH days. That way they feel like they are getting something special, and I don't have to break the bank. ($1 each vs. whatever we'd have to pay in the park= no brainer.)

Next up was a collection of small items which may or may not be needed, but could be of benefit. These include First Aid Kit, mini-sunscreen for touch ups, Tums for Disney Dining aftermath, Tylenol for headaches, Aleve for backpack induced backaches, mini-Sharpie for marking whatever needs it, extra-fat pens for characters, plastic bags to stuff things in if needed, mini-tissue for mini-noses, Shout wipes for over zealous Dole Whip consumption, Wet Ones (for faces & hands), Clorox wipes (For tables / chairs), and of course hand sanitizer. (I also have backups/extras for most of these items in the suitcase.)

Now batting for the Biscuits, we have the bulky gear. This includes 4 mister fans (2 large for grownups, 2 minis for the girls), 4 ponchos, walkie-talkie phones to augment our cell phones, and spare batteries. The two mini-misters have clamps to attach to the outside of the backpack and I plan to look for something similar for the larger ones. Not pictured is a pair of flip flops I plan to toss in, just in case my socks get wet.

Last but not least is the camera gear. Yes these are film cameras. No I am not packing a pair of parachute pants to go with them. Why still use film? If I bought the same type of cameras / lenses in a digital format, I wouldn't be able to afford the trip. I WILL have my Sony Cybershot P&S digital camera (the one I used to take all these photos with) so I do have at least SOME modern gear. Plus my Blackberry has a 2 megapixel camera in it as well and I'll have that on my belt.

(EDITOR'S NOTE FROM 14 YEARS IN THE FUTURE - 2 Megapixels? That's ADORABLE!)

First up the camera bodies. The main one I shoot with is the Nikon N60, with a Nikon N65 as a backup. (Even though it's supposedly a higher model, my N65 has a slower shutter response and the battery is much smaller so it doesnt last as long.)

I'm also bringing my tried and trusty workhorse, the fully manual Yashica FX3. I bought this camera used in 1992 for a college photography course, and by my senior year, I was working as photo editor for the school paper and pushing 8-10 rolls of film per week through it. It's been banged, dropped, smacked and rolled, but still pumps out great pics. It can be operated in bulb mode and has a slot for a cable release which I am also bringing. I plan to use is primarily for night / fireworks shots.

For lenses, I'm bringing my 50mm for the FX3 (which I love for its 1.9 minimum aperture), and my Sigma 28mm-80mm & Sigma 70mm-300mm zoom lenses for the Nikon. They both have Macro settings (1.2 & 3.3 respectively) so I hope to get some interesting close up shots.

Completing the photo accessories are a set of Cokin filters (Yellow, FL, Circular Polarizer) Cokin adapter rings for all 3 lenses & filter holder, a Lens Pen, and a hot shoe external flash. I also have 30 rolls of film standing by and ready to go. (Which I found fairly cheaply and when combined with pre-purchased processing from Snapfish.com, the overall cost is not that bad.)

There is also a video camera to go into the mix, but fortunately it's a tiny one. I will likely be handing that duty off to First Lady Biscuit. I also picked up one of those waterproof disposable camera doojabbers, but I don't know that I will bring it to the parks. I got it more for the Hippy Dippy / bubble jets. In the evenings, I'll be attaching my tripod for the fireworks / night stuff.

Well, that about does it. I'll be part tourist, part Sherpa and may throw the whole thing out the first day, but for now, that is "The Park Pack".

Coming up on Episode 45 - Ummmm...well...I'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Last edited:
Happy Single Digits GB!!!!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

You are almost to the point where you can start doing the "Next week, we'll be in Disney World" game!

Yes these are film cameras. No I am not packing a pair of parachute pants to go with them.

:lmao:

Your camera gear rocks. I'm jealous.
I used to have a nice Pentax K1000, straight from the 1960s, but a friend of a friend "borrowed" it and well...I've never seen in since.

I haven't seen her since either! :laughing:

I had a couple lenses and filters for it too.

Sigh.

We now have a Canon XSI, but just the kit lens. Someday! But like you said, it's a toss up--great camera stuffs or WDW!

You are gonna have some big fans of the mini-tolietries pics you have here...there are many Target Aisle Travel Size Fans here!

Happy Single Digits GB!!!!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

You are almost to the point where you can start doing the "Next week, we'll be in Disney World" game!
Thanks! We already did the "Two Weeks from Now" game over the weekend!

Your camera gear rocks. I'm jealous.
I used to have a nice Pentax K1000, straight from the 1960s, but a friend of a friend "borrowed" it and well...I've never seen in since.

I haven't seen her since either! :laughing:

I had a couple lenses and filters for it too.

Sigh.

We now have a Canon XSI, but just the kit lens. Someday! But like you said, it's a toss up--great camera stuffs or WDW!
One of my frieds on yearbook/newspaper staff shot with a K1000. That was a nifty camera. I liked the TTL light meter on it better than the FX 3, which just gives you a red plus, red minus or green dot.

You are gonna have some big fans of the mini-tolietries pics you have here...there are many Target Aisle Travel Size Fans here!
Everything but the misters and the camera gear came from Target.

:banana::cool1: Single Digits! It's almost here!:cool1::banana:

Wahoo for the Single Digit Dance:yay::yay::yay:

Thanks Y'all

You're gonna give V lens envy;)
:lmao:

Catching up on your latest posts! We'll be at Pop in 3 days - ACK!!! I need to go find some of those little tiny travel sized items to take with us too.....back to Walmart :rotfl:

DSC00733.jpg

Topping off our list is a collection of glow products. One of the tips I picked up from two different TR’s was to give younger kids a glow stick to hold onto in dark rides to help them through the “scary parts”. Both posters found it to be of benefit so I decided to give it a try. After some browsing and comparison shopping, I ordered a 25 count tube of 4” light sticks. They are small enough for the kids to keep up with, but put out a fairly good portion of light. These little boogers will pull double duty as a security light / nighttime fashion accessory.

The other glow item I picked up was a set of glow necklaces. I got enough for each kid to have one on each of our 3 EMH days. That way they feel like they are getting something special, and I don’t have to break the bank. ($1 each vs. whatever we’d have to pay in the park= no brainer.)

[/B]

The glowsticks are a great idea. I brought along some of the necklaces (also from great Dis advice) and my DS loved them! :thumbsup2

Wish I had thought to buy the misting fans ahead of time, it was so hot :eek: we almost paid $17 for one in the park (yes, almost...we did resist, but just barely, week after Mem. Day was HOT, HOT!!).

HOORAY!!! :cheer2: Single Digit Dance :woohoo: :banana: Have a fabulous trip!

GB have you seen the battery operated glow necklaces? I know you can get the in sporting goods aisle around here. You can turn them on & off & run on a aa? battery.

Also have guys tried out the 3 in 1 laundry sheets that are out there? They are awesome very compact easy for travel & packing 1 sheet does all 3. Great for camping etc.:cutie:

single digit dance :cool1::banana::dance3::woohoo::yay::cheer2:

I can't wait to see those pictures!
I can't wait to take them!

Catching up on your latest posts! We'll be at Pop in 3 days - ACK!!! I need to go find some of those little tiny travel sized items to take with us too.....back to Walmart :rotfl:
Gotta love travel sized stuff. It's so...I don't know...petite. 3 Days! WOOOHOOO!

The glowsticks are a great idea. I brought along some of the necklaces (also from great Dis advice) and my DS loved them! :thumbsup2

Wish I had thought to buy the misting fans ahead of time, it was so hot :eek: we almost paid $17 for one in the park (yes, almost...we did resist, but just barely, week after Mem. Day was HOT, HOT!!).

HOORAY!!! :cheer2: Single Digit Dance :woohoo: :banana: Have a fabulous trip!
Glad the glow necklaces turend out to be a hit! I don't think I could have brought myself to do the $17 deal either!

GB have you seen the battery operated glow necklaces? I know you can get the in sporting goods aisle around here. You can turn them on & off & run on a aa? battery.

Also have guys tried out the 3 in 1 laundry sheets that are out there? They are awesome very compact easy for travel & packing 1 sheet does all 3. Great for camping etc.:cutie:
I haven't seen those but, not now I have to Googl'it!

Where did you get the mister fans? That is one thing on my list I haven't found yet.
I found these at Wal-Mart. The store I purchased them at had them on an end-cap in the paint section. (Oddly enough). I saw them at another Wal-Mart on the same aisle as the regular fans.

For lenses, I’m bringing my 50mm for the FX3 (which I love for its 1.9 minimum aperture), and my Sigma 28mm-80mm & Sigma 70mm-300mm zoom lenses for the Nikon. They both have Macro settings (1.2 & 3.3 respectively) so I hope to get some interesting close up shots.

Completing the photo accessories are a set of Cokin filters (Yellow, FL, Circular Polarizer) Cokin adapter rings for all 3 lenses & filter holder, a Lens Pen, and a hot shoe external flash. I also have 30 rolls of film standing by and ready to go. (Which I found fairly cheaply and when combined with pre-purchased processing from Snapfish.com, the overall cost is not that bad.)

oooh you really have some set up there. I used to do film photography in high school, (developing film included) and I still love the look of film, with is grain and everything. Of course nothing beats the instant gratification of digital, but part of me still loves the old-school film look. I do really love circular polarizer filters. It really creates such nice crisp pictures of blue skies and water.

I am not sure you have this on your list already, but one thing you might want as part of your "kit" are ziploc bags. I just wrote this as part of my next installment of my TR but thought I'd share it with you here in case you dont' have time to read it before your trip:

"A good tip: I brought along a few large gallon-sized Ziploc bags that I was able to store our used ponchos in. That way, if it stopped raining, we can fold up our ponchos compactly, put them in the bag, flatten it to get rid of all the air, and then seal it and store it in my pocketbook or another bag without creating extra bulk. It also keeps everything else in your bag dry, especially things like cameras and cell phones. Ziplocs are great! They are like instant space bags (the kind on tv where you vacuum all the air out)"

Your trip is approaching fast! Can't wait to read the rest of your TR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter