Biscuit's Grand Adventure | An epic tale three decades in the making!

<gameshownerd>

Back when the original Let's Make a Deal was around, when a contestant got zonked they would generally be offered an equivalent consolation prize after the show in exchange for their zonk. Of course, legally if they wanted to actually keep the goat they could. There were even a couple of instances in which one of the Zonks was valuable enough that someone was offered a shot at the Big Deal of the Day in exchange.

Based on that, this version (of which I know basically nothing) probably had zonks, but they were replaced by something else.

</gameshownerd>

<gameshownerd>

Back when the original Let's Make a Deal was around, when a contestant got zonked they would generally be offered an equivalent consolation prize after the show in exchange for their zonk. Of course, legally if they wanted to actually keep the goat they could. There were even a couple of instances in which one of the Zonks was valuable enough that someone was offered a shot at the Big Deal of the Day in exchange.

Based on that, this version (of which I know basically nothing) probably had zonks, but they were replaced by something else.

</gameshownerd>

Hey, it works for me.

Episode 17 - The Longest Line EVER!

Previously on Biscuit's Grand Adventure, rope drops were missed, stars were toured, wedgies were administered and mock tapings were attended. After consuming some nifty barbeque, we returned to the motel to re-group. I napped in the car, and then napped for about an hour at the motel. After that I was up and raring to go. My grandparents had spent 2-3 hours in World Showcase that morning and were done for the day. They wanted to keep the little ones again so, not wishing to deny my grandparents time with the babies, we made a sacrifice and left Karlee at the motel for her nightly swim. The rest of the clan returned The Studios.

Our first stop was the Animation building as we wanted to see it before the animators went home. Does anyone remember when the Animation building had actual animators in it? I’m sure it’s all nifty and everything touring an empty office where cool stuff USED to happened, but seriously, is there a point in keeping this thing open now? Would we not be better served by putting something else in there (Why do I suddenly feel like I’m giving one of those “Back in My Day” speeches to a group of young whippersnappers? )

I am SO glad that I was able to tour this place when it was in full production mode. We saw animators animating, clean up artists cleaning up, ink and paint folks inking and painting, and camera techs working cameras. Occasionally animators would look up and wave and hold up drawings of what they were doing. I don’t know how long we meandered through this place, but we were there a while.

After leaving the animation building, there was some discussion on what to do next. There was no Sunset Blvd back then (another “Back in my Day” moment) and the number of attractions was pretty slim. After seeing the lines for the Backlot / Backstage tours, we elected to pass and crossed the park to take another turn on Star Tours. WOOOHOOO!. The line was a bit backed up, so by the time we returned to Terra Firma, it was full on chow time.

We stopped at the first place we came to which was of course the Backlot Express. Though I am not a big fan of the food at this joint, I do appreciate the décor. With our fires thus fueled, it was time to head out for more adventure. Our next stop was the Great Movie Ride. After the obligatory stares at the walk of fame, we queued up for a ride through movie memory lane.

The line began outside of the building, over on the right side. Never lined up over there? Neither has any other sane and rational human being. But as neither of these descriptors seem to apply to me, that is where we found ourselves. Thus began the longest line wait in my Disney Park touring history. That’s right. It wasn’t one of the Sacred Mountains, or a thrill ride or some high-tech super cool ubberdoober over the top greatest attraction of all time. Nope, that would be too normal for me. No, I had to spend the longest wait of my Disney career in line for the Great Movie Ride. It’s kind of like going out and buying a top of the line gaming PC so you can play Minesweeper. There's nothing wrong with the activity itself, it’s just not worth what it cost to participate.

We wound our way through one zig-zagging set of iron bars after another. At one point we stopped for several minutes. Word in the queue was the ride was down. We didn’t have any intel from the outside world, so we were unable to get a confirmation. Not all who began the journey survived. There were some who succumbed to their bladder and had to try to fight their way out. Some with smaller children had to deal with break downs and they too swam upstream to the exit.

There were moments when I wasn’t sure I had the perseverance to get to the loading dock. Just as I was about to throw in the towel and lead my clan outwards, I heard it. It was coming from somewhere further up in the queue. A war cry that inspired Disney Stamina. “Bra-zee, Bra-Zee- Bra-Zee!” Our friends in the Brazilian tour group were here! They had led the way and were calling out to those still struggling to navigate the bowels of the fake Mann’s Chinese Theater to strive forward. Revived by the reveille, I dug deep and found my inner park beast.

Finally, after two hours of my life which I will never get back, we boarded the tram and were off. It was okay mind you. I didn’t hate the ride nor bear it any thoughts of blazing destruction. I was a bit disappointed that the alien wasn’t working. I knew it was there and looked for it, but it never moved.

After our ride through the movies was completed, I was left to ponder exactly what had just occurred. Did I truly spend two hours standing in line for that? Seriously? This is the end? There isn’t some sort of post ride vehicle portion of the attraction? It was the same feeling I had after sitting through the movie Water World. There was only one way to deal with this sort of let down, and its name was Star Tours.

When we finally stumbled out of the fake theater to head for the Endor Moon, we discovered something. During our two hour journey of inconvenience, it had been raining. Hard. The massive crowds that had been swelling throughout the day were gone. For the last hour or two the park was open, it was virtually deserted when compared to the crowds earlier in the day.

Oh, happy happy Biscuit! Let’s go people! My inner park commando is back online! We headed in the general direction of Star Tours and the first room (with R2 and 3PO) was COMPLETELY empty. SCORE! Then the next room (with the salvage robots) was also empty. DOUBLE SCORE! Finally we arrived at the loading area and there were maybe 20 people waiting. GLORY HALLELUJAH!

After completing another space adventure, we made our way over to the Monster Sound Show. It was pure cheese, but I’ve heard it was better than the cheese that is Sounds Dangerous. Having never seen the latter, and only having seen the former this one visit, I really can’t draw an accurate comparison. Of course given that I like cheese, particularly Disney cheese, I actually enjoyed it.

After this, we again hit up the queueless Star Tours. You’d think by now, it would be getting old, but I still loved it. Especially as a walk on. This may or may not have been my last time through it that night, I know we went on it two or three times after the Great Wait and Let Down. Finally, we made our way to Hollywood Blvd and after a fairly short wait, took in Sorcery in the Sky.

All in all, I loved the park and enjoyed the day much. Yet, I was bit irked at having missed out on a few things. It was therefore determined that the next day, (our last) we would return to the Studios in the AM and then hit up Magic Kingdom to close out our day.

I don’t remember much after the fireworks ended. I think I slept the whole way back to the motel and had to be rolled / dragged into bed. This of course meant that I was not awake enough to pack that night, which of course meant one thing. No way were we making morning rope drop. DOH!

Coming up on episode 18: Catastrophes don't just happen in canyons.

Last edited:
GB, another great trip down memory lane. Such fun picturing an eager teen at the World! I love your writing!

Here is a memory of mine, if I may. Unlike Epcot, I had nothing to do with the Studios (even on paper), but at the time, I worked at the Grand Floridian, which of course is the flagship hotel where celebrities stay. There were tons of top name entertainer scheduled for the Grand Opening. Bob Hope, I think, and a ton of others I forgot. And Lucille Ball, or maybe not.

Sadly, a couple of days or so before the big day, Lucille Ball passed away, so there were tons of cancellations for the opening ceremony, so that said entertainers could attend her funeral. Not so much fun.

Can't wait for your your trip this year, sure to give us lots of great installments.

GB, another great trip down memory lane. Such fun picturing an eager teen at the World! I love your writing!

Here is a memory of mine, if I may. Unlike Epcot, I had nothing to do with the Studios (even on paper), but at the time, I worked at the Grand Floridian, which of course is the flagship hotel where celebrities stay. There were tons of top name entertainer scheduled for the Grand Opening. Bob Hope, I think, and a ton of others I forgot. And Lucille Ball, or maybe not.

Sadly, a couple of days or so before the big day, Lucille Ball passed away, so there were tons of cancellations for the opening ceremony, so that said entertainers could attend her funeral. Not so much fun.

Can't wait for your your trip this year, sure to give us lots of great installments.
Hey BSG! Glad you enjoyed it! I'm always happy when you post behind the scenes info. It fits in well with the format of this TR. I love hearing about how the World works behind the scenes. (NoMaximo & Z-TRON). Have a great day!

I remember when the animation building had animators. It was really cool back then. They would try and push you thru as a pack but i always timed it so i was the last of the pack in and sometimes still in there at the front of the next pack of peeps. Loved it.:thumbsup2
One time we went thru and one animator had some draping around him/her so no one could see what they were working on. Drove me nuts!!:lmao:
Lovely chapter.......:surfweb:

WOW!! This is a looooooonnnnng TR. I haven't read through the whole thing yet but I intent to read through each and every single post.

My first trip to WDW was 1976. I can barely remember anything about the trip.

I just found your TR, and I am loving it. You have made me laugh out loud many times.

I'm pretty sure that the Great Movie Ride may have a minor curse on it. I have always seen ridiculously long lines there, but my worst experience was when I passed out while waiting in the movie room. Fortunately my friend was there to catch me and drag me to a bench near the exit, but only after my other friend had to argue with the cast members to let us use it. A good time was had by all...

Still here and still reading and enjoying your musings!

The tale of your Great Movie Ride fiasco was, unfortunately, familiar to me. And, even more embarrassing, it happened to me LAST YEAR. Me, who never waits in a line longer than 15-20 minutes. And who doesn't even LIKE that frickin' ride. I will concede that we didn't wait close to 2 hours. But I would bet we were in that nightmare of a line for almost an hour. A ride breakdown was involved at some point. As well as a husband who insisted we should stick with it. :sad2: But the whole experience ticked me off big time. I feel better about it now, though. Now that I've made a deal with myself that '08 was the LAST time I'll ever ride that miserable excuse for a bad-actor CM driven attraction.

I have NO recollection of the Let's Make a Deal attraction. Sounds *um* interesting :rolleyes: Thanks but no thanks. Though I do miss WWTBAM. That was pretty fun.

Keep 'em comin' GB! popcorn::

I remember when the animation building had animators. It was really cool back then. They would try and push you thru as a pack but i always timed it so i was the last of the pack in and sometimes still in there at the front of the next pack of peeps. Loved it.:thumbsup2
One time we went thru and one animator had some draping around him/her so no one could see what they were working on. Drove me nuts!!:lmao:
Lovely chapter.......:surfweb:
Wasn't it great seeing Disney animation being made? The top secret animation would have driven me nutso too!

WOW!! This is a looooooonnnnng TR. I haven't read through the whole thing yet but I intent to read through each and every single post.

My first trip to WDW was 1976. I can barely remember anything about the trip.
Hey topdog! Welcome aboard! Glad to have you along for the ride!

I just found your TR, and I am loving it. You have made me laugh out loud many times.
Howdy mybestieismickey and welcome! I'm happy to have passed on a grin!

I'm pretty sure that the Great Movie Ride may have a minor curse on it. I have always seen ridiculously long lines there, but my worst experience was when I passed out while waiting in the movie room. Fortunately my friend was there to catch me and drag me to a bench near the exit, but only after my other friend had to argue with the cast members to let us use it. A good time was had by all...
Passing out on GMR would definitely qualify as a worst experience! :scared1:

Still here and still reading and enjoying your musings!
Awesome! We can all go to group therapy when it's over!

The tale of your Great Movie Ride fiasco was, unfortunately, familiar to me. And, even more embarrassing, it happened to me LAST YEAR. Me, who never waits in a line longer than 15-20 minutes. And who doesn't even LIKE that frickin' ride. I will concede that we didn't wait close to 2 hours. But I would bet we were in that nightmare of a line for almost an hour. A ride breakdown was involved at some point. As well as a husband who insisted we should stick with it. :sad2: But the whole experience ticked me off big time. I feel better about it now, though.
This ride just keeps racking up the "evil" points.

Now that I've made a deal with myself that '08 was the LAST time I'll ever ride that miserable excuse for a bad-actor CM driven attraction.
Now that's change I can believe in.

I have NO recollection of the Let's Make a Deal attraction. Sounds *um* interesting :rolleyes: Thanks but no thanks. Though I do miss WWTBAM. That was pretty fun.
Trust me, you didn't miss much. The last time I was there, a film crew was using all of the soundstages to shoot a miniseries so there wasn't a cheesy, over the top, simulated game show. But I must say, my movie loving brain MUCH preferred watching an ACTUAL scene being filmed.

Well that's all for now. Night everyone - I should be able to post an update tomorrow. I'm slacking now though. I have fallen behind on my "Writing Ahead" and my past few episodes have been writen / posted in one sitting. SO, if you notice any typos, PM me and I'll be happy to correct them...eventually. I just found two on Episode 1 that I corrected a couple of days ago.

Our first stop was the Animation building as we wanted to see it before the animators went home. Does anyone remember when the Animation building had actual animators in it?
Yep! Back in my day, we walked 10 miles to get to the animators, and another 20 miles to get back to Star Tours. Uphill. In the snow. Carrying 50lb. rucksacks.

;) It really was a neat experience to see the animation process at work. Sad that visitors today don't have that opportunity. :sad1:

The line began outside of the building, over on the right side. Never lined up over there? Neither has any other sane and rational human being. But as neither of these descriptors seem to apply to me, that is where we found ourselves. Thus began the longest line wait in my Disney Park touring history.
I'm so sorry, but this really made me LOL! I'd completely forgotten (or perhaps I'd blocked it out of my mind?), but we, too, stood in a gargantuan line for the Lees-Than-Great Movie Ride. What a let-down! Interesting how it's entertainment level increases as the wait for it decreases. :rotfl:

You were rewarded for your Great Movie Ride perseverance! The gods of Diset rigged the clouds for your extended enjoyment!

Disney Guest's are always rewarded for feeding their inner park beast!!!

I am glad Star Tours was yours for the taking, that rocks. I am sorry you had to hear Bra-Zee again without knowing how it is related to me. (BTW I can get a fart to replicate a clap of thunder quite realistically, so it usually follows the War cry.)

GreatInstentMixForABiscuit great job with your chapter. I felt like I was holding up an angry fist at the non working Alien right along with you.

What a let-down! Interesting how it's entertainment level increases as the wait for it decreases.
So sad, yet so true. :sad2:

Disney Guest's are always rewarded for feeding their inner park beast!!!
That's what I'm talking about!

I am glad Star Tours was yours for the taking, that rocks. I am sorry you had to hear Bra-Zee again without knowing how it is related to me. (BTW I can get a fart to replicate a clap of thunder quite realistically, so it usually follows the War cry.)
:rotfl2:&:rotfl:&:lmao:

Episode 18 - Catastrophes Don't Just Happen In Canyons!

Previously on Biscuit’s Grand Adventure, animators were viewed, stars were re-toured, and I lost two hours of my life on the not so Great Movie Ride. The next morning was our final park day and we were going to be returning to the Disney MGM studios. Still feeling the effects from my post Medieval Times insomnia, I was a bit slow to get moving. We were going to be checking out of our motel first, heading to the park for a few hours, joining all the extended family for a late farewell lunch, then returning to the Magic Kingdom to close out the day.

Of course before we could check out, I had to pack, and before I could pack, I had to get ready, and before I could get ready, I had to wake up. I found this to be highly inconvenient, yet the parks were calling so we managed to muddle through. By the time Pete and I were conscious, the rest of the clan was pretty well packed up and ready. My mom decided to help us pack, and there were several statements concerning bombs going off, pigsties, long lost relatives being found, etc. Finally, we had the room packed and presentable and headed to the van boat.

We arrived at the Disney MGM Studios around mid-morning and headed to the back of the park. I’m not sure if we had good timing or if the crowds were just lower that day, but were able to essentially walk up and board a tram. After the whole nail biting Catastrophe Canyon “What do you mean roll camera?!” shocker, we saw some of the Dick Tracy enhancements to a section of New York street. After our awe inspiring tram ride, it was off to the water tank for some high seas mayhem. We watched some poor guest get drenched, then headed for our backstage walking tour.

Our first stop was the “Special Effects” room where we had a blue screen demonstration.

Nifty

Next we headed through the observation walkways up above the sound stages. Let’s Fake a Deal spanned 2 of them, and the third had remnants of the New Mickey Mouse Club set scattered around. (NOBritneySpears) Finally, we descended through a display of the sets used for the Bette Middler promo film made for the Disney MMG studios where she wins the lottery. (Which was cleverly named The Lottery and interestingly enough was directed by Gary Marshall.)

Having thus fulfilled my quota of film geekiness, we saw that we had time for a final turn on Star Tours before heading to lunch. It was a bit disappointing having to wait in line again after the multiple walk-ons the night before. Yet, the queue still put a smile on my Star Wars loving face and the time passed fairly quickly.

It was with a heavy heart that I bid my new found park a found adieu. (Not to be confused with fondue which involves molten cheese.) Speaking of molten cheese, I had hoped to be able to catch a showing of Superstar Television but we never were able to time it correctly. Unfortunately (or not), I never did catch it before the show was retired.

I wasn’t sure then when I would return to this park. As it turned out, it would be 7 years before I ventured back through the gates. I would find The Studios had gone through several changes, as had I. Would it be just as exciting when I returned with my bride as it was when I was there as a teenager? You’ll just have to wait a few episodes and see.

After leaving The Studios, we headed to lunch with the extended family. As you may recall “The Plan” had died early on day 2. From the point forward, we pretty much toured with our immediate family and occasionally hooked up with a random aunt & uncle. This being the last day, my grandfather and his brother had planned for everyone to have a group lunch together before folks started heading out.

The locale chosen to host said event was a seafood restaurant in Kissimmee. I am 99% certain, it was called Gilligan’s but either it has closed, changed names, or hidden itself from the world wide web.

Whatever it was called, they served seafood and steaks and had a room large enough to accommodate our rather massive brood. I don’t remember what I ate, but given my typical seafood selections, it’s a safe assumption to say that my entree had a shell on it at one point in its life. After reveling in the family feel good, it was time to say our farewells.

After making our way back out to the lobby, I felt compelled to heed nature’s call. It was then that catastrophe struck. I was not paying very close attention, (imagine that,) and when I hit the restroom, I noticed the facilities were not quite what I was used to. With great shock and horror, I realized that I had entered the wrong restroom. I almost died on that very spot.

Of all the atrocities that can befall a teenage boy, accidentally walking into the ladies’ room tops the list. I quickly made a beeline-out-the-bano and sought the comfort of the gentlemen’s parlor. At home once again, I found it necessary to let forth some manly groans and loft a volley of gaseous vocalizations just to calm my nerves. Fortunately no one in my group witnessed the event so I was free from mocking the rest of the day. But I have to say I was quite shaken for a while.

Back in the lobby we bid a final farewell to our kinfolk and loaded back up for our last visit to the parks. It was sad to think about being done with the trip. But, I was determined to enjoy the rest of the day and we still had a lot of park time left. Our plan was to stay until they kicked us out of the place. Let me rephrase that. Our plan was to stay until the park closed. To that end, we discussed our final must do’s and touring stratagem on the ride over.

We arrived back in the MK parking lot, selected a parking spot, vowed to avoid Alice Hugging and headed across the Seven Seas lagoon for the final time.

Coming on Episode 19: The Grand Finale to a Grand Vacation.

Last edited:
I have done my share of walking into men's rooms. Once I was doing cross-u (code for utilizing office workers to help in the parks in peak times) in Adventureland, I think. The place with the condiment bar.
Forgive my forgetfulness. So anyway. my job for the day was to keep the mustard and ketchup and utensils and napkins and straws. etc. stocked. Easy as pie, right? Office girl helping out at crunch time in the parks instead of crunching numbers in a nice A/C office.

So things started out nicely. People take a few napkins, I restock them. Clean up the ketchup and mustard station. Yeah, life is good, chat with guests... Then all hell broke loose! The masses of the World descended upon the place, ripped things apart, took everything, the ketchup and mustard ran out (the bladder things) and people left horrible messes. Where do they store those replacements? How do I put them in? Who can I find to help me? Guests clamoring for ketchup and mustard. It was Bedlam, I tell you! I think it was Christmas time. (Peace to the World). I had THREE stations to restock!

How did I get to that?

Oh yes, on that occasion I walked into a men's room. Why? I dont know. As a CM in costume, I would NOT have been using guest facilites for either sex. I think I got lost looking for ketchup. Yes, I was confused and bedazzeled. It was one of those places without doors that just wind around.

Anyway, I was about as wiped out as you can get by the end o/I]f my shift. Next time you eat at a QSR in peak time, give a little PD to the CM's there. There is a reason the QSR CM's get paid a premium. Otherwise nobody would work there.

Well, that was a lot of rambling about nothing. Somehow you bring out memories for me, LOL.

Dang, GB, are we about to soon leave the teen behind and next meet up with a grown man? popcorn::

That's kind of neat. Should be interesting. Again, loving your report.

I have done my share of walking into men's rooms. Once I was doing cross-u (code for utilizing office workers to help in the parks in peak times) in Adventureland, I think. The place with the condiment bar. Forgive my forgetfulness. So anyway. my job for the day was to keep the mustard and ketchup and utensils and napkins and straws. etc. stocked. Easy as pie, right? Office girl helping out at crunch time in the parks instead of crunching numbers in a nice A/C office..
I sense disaster lurking.

So things started out nicely. People take a few napkins, I restock them. Clean up the ketchup and mustard station. Yeah, life is good, chat with guests... Then all hell broke loose! The masses of the World descended upon the place, ripped things apart, took everything, the ketchup and mustard ran out (the bladder things) and people left horrible messes. Where do they store those replacements? How do I put them in? Who can I find to help me? Guests clamoring for ketchup and mustard. It was Bedlam, I tell you! I think it was Christmas time. (Peace to the World). I had THREE stations to restock!
Isn't that a fun feeling? When I first started working at a movie theater in college, I was assigned to the back room making popcorn and nuking nacho cheese. (One of my personal career hightlights I must say.) It happened to be the week Twister premiered and they needed help out front. So they sent me to a register. All fine and dandy. Except I hadn't been trained on it and had no idea how it worked. It was one of those touch screen dealies so it wasn't overly difficult to pick up, but that moment of "Holy Carp I don't have any idea what I'm doing and there's a HUGE line of people angrily staring at me!" was definitely memorable.

How did I get to that?

Oh yes, on that occasion I walked into a men's room. Why? I dont know. As a CM in costume, I would NOT have been using guest facilites for either sex. I think I got lost looking for ketchup. Yes, I was confused and bedazzeled. It was one of those places without doors that just wind around.
Nothing quite compares to that instant when you realize exactly where you are and have an overwhelming urge to call Scotty to beam you out of there.

Anyway, I was about as wiped out as you can get by the end of my shift. Next time you eat at a QSR in peak time, give a little PD to the CM's there. There is a reason the QSR CM's get paid a premium. Otherwise nobody would work there.
Will do. This summer, I'll be handing out the PD's to the QSR CM'S at WDW ASAP.....What's a PD again?

Well, that was a lot of rambling about nothing. Somehow you bring out memories for me, LOL.

Dang, GB, are we about to soon leave the teen behind and next meet up with a grown man? popcorn::

That's kind of neat. Should be interesting. Again, loving your report.

Almost - one more post for this trip then another short 1, possibly 2 poster, then on to my big-boy trips!

I have accidentally walked into the mens facilities before.:upsidedow And also on occasion been within viewing of the facilities when a well swung door was pushed while walking by.:eek:
Why do they have the mirrors over the urinals? To give you something to look at other than sizing each other up???:confused3 :rotfl:

I have accidentally walked into the mens facilities before.:upsidedow And also on occasion been within viewing of the facilities when a well swung door was pushed while walking by.:eek:
Why do they have the mirrors over the urinals? To give you something to look at other than sizing each other up???:confused3 :rotfl:
All I'm gonna say about that one is that I have never seen a mirror hung in that locale. :rotfl2:

GB, PD=Pixie Dust pixiedust:
DOH! I should have know that one. All I could come up with was either Pappadeaux or Police Department, and as I couldn't see how Cajun Seafood or Law Enforcement would improve the situation, I figured it must be something else.

Episode 19 -The Grand Finale to a Grand Vacation

It’s a bittersweet feeling heading to the park for the last time. As happy as you are to be there, you have the clock ticking down in your mind that just seems to get louder with each passing moment. Not much stands out from our final return to the park that evening. I remember that we ate dinner at Pinocchio Village Haus. I remember hitting up Space Mountain a time or two. I know that we took in the Main Street Electrical parade, and I remember that we wandered around the Emporium for a LONG time. We were pretty much the last ones out of the park. I also remember that we waited a REALLY long time for a monorail train back to the parking lot.

We headed back to Lakeland and spent one more night with Uncle Steve and Aunt Judy. The next day, we puttered around the town a bit, hit up the mall and killed some time. My mom went to the grocery store and loaded us up with provisions for the return ride home.

We departed shortly after supper that evening and headed back home. We were tired, we were sunburned, we were bruised, (well my mom was anyway), but we were happy. Despite all the ups and downs, mishaps and plan changes, it had been a fantastic vacation.

So what did I learn on this trip? (Why do I suddenly envision scores of people popping out of their cubicles, building me a stage and singing “Hey Biscuit what do you say? We all want to know what your learned today.”)

The first thing I learned was that “The Plan”, while idealistic in design, was ultimately myopic in practicality. You can’t really plan for other people without sitting down with them and coming to a consensus ahead of time. I also discovered that mapping out each and every attraction ahead of time was a bit of an overkill. Although it was a fun distraction when pre-planning, there are simply too many factors that you won’t know until you get there. (Crowd levels, rides being down, weather, fatigue, hunger, calls of nature, what have you.)

Learning from my mistakes, I have taken a completely different approach to this trip. Rather than mapping out our days attraction by attraction, I am simply mapping out which parks on what days and creating a list of “tops” for each park. I’m also building in a day and a half as simply “open”.

The second thing I learned on this vacation is that grandparents are an excellent commodity to have when touring with little ones. To that end, I have recruited mom and dad to join us this summer for the first four days. This means 1 thing to me. NO TEACUPS! Nana (as Mom has taken to being called these days), has volunteered to take the girls! YIPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEE! My stomach is safe to enjoy me some 'Ohana!

Finally I learned to never hug a character without permission, never attend events featuring horses without proper medication, never walk around in the heat without eating, never watch a baseball game when rain is forecast, never eat 17 Krystal cheeseburgers in one evening, and never take vacations too seriously, otherwise you’ll miss the point all together.

Episode 20 - High School Seniors Storm the Castle

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter