Bin Laden - celebrations

Horse2.gif

But it's not dead yet.

It's only mostly dead.

Why do you assume that just because I have never lived in the US I don´t know any Americans? My dad lived in the US, so did my aunt and my cousin. My aunts FIL died in Vietnam, when his son (my cousins father) was a very young boy.
My cousin has lived in the US for many years now and I have visited w. her and her family. I have friends living in many places of the US, some of them in NYC.

But, having lived outside the U.S. for a number of years, I can tell you that visiting or knowing people from a country is not the same as national pride and the understanding that comes with having lived in the country all or most of your life. I lived in Portugal for three years, but i didn't consider myself Portuguese. I didn't always understand what they were celebrating or why.

Of course you are free to have your own opinion on these events, but Americans are also free to celebrate the capture of Bin Laden after 10 long years.

At least we didn't drag bin Osama bin Laden's body through the streets of Washington DC, hang it from a bridge, and burn it -- like was done to our American soldiers. We were very respectful of the body.

I´m not complaining. I´m voicing my opinion. Not telling you what to do nor telling you how to feel.

Yes, I feel it would have been wrong.
I keep hearing people on the news say "Justice has been done". Do you really feel that killing Obama is justice for the 3000 lives that were lost?

How did no one else catch this? It would definitely put a different spin on the topic!:rotfl:

... provided you know for certain that no one from Iceland died on 9/11. There were a lot of foreign banks with offices at the WTC -- who's to say that some Icelandic nationals didn't die that day? Not everyone who worked in the WTC was an American citizen. It was, after all, the World Trade Center.

There's a US naval base in Iceland that has supplied personnel and services to Americans and allies fighting in Afghanistan. It's an American base, but Iceland certainly plays a role in supporting the American families who live there. Iceland is a member of NATO, and members of Icelandic peace-keeping forces have been deployed in Afghanistan via both the Viking Squad and Icelandic Crisis Response. Some have been wounded in suicide attacks in Kabul and other areas.

So while Iceland may not have had terrorist attacks on their soil, they are a part of this, as is every other country who has provided aid, personnel or armies toward the effort since 9/11.

:earsboy:

I didn't say no one from Iceland died that day. It is certainly possible they did. But no one from Iceland was targeted that day. All OBL cared about was taking America down. Other people from other countries who died on that day, were probably just collateral damage to him. Before anyone jumps on me, NO ONE was collateral damage to me. My point is, Al Queda had no conflict with Iceland before or since. His target was America. I don't think he cared it was the World Trade Center. I think he cared they were the two tallest buildings in NYC and a symbol of American economy/prosperity.

For me, I got a little misty eyed watching the news last night. At the time, people were only gathering and looking up at the ticker in Times Square and people were milling around the White House. I didn't even look at it as celebrating the death of OBL. As far as I am concerned, he is a cretin that deserves no more thought. He's occupied enough attention all ready. I looked at it as PP's have said - a healing moment. We were reminded what our troops are bravely fighting for and that even when the days seem at their darkest, the sun will come out for a brief moment in time and remind us why the fight is so important.

‎"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy." - Martin Luther King, Jr

I don't know anyone who was rejoicing in Bin Laden's death. I think the celebration was over a military victory. We (America) have finally found him after a 10 year search. Some of the families of 9/11 can feel a little more closure now. Is that not worth celebrating? If Bin Laden had been captured and not killed, would you feel the same way about the celebrations?

Mmmmm...nah...I'm rejoicing that the slimey ******* is dead. Plain and simple. I am over joyed and thrilled that THAT man is dead and the USA is the reason why.

Nice way to debate a topic, huh!

I hope this is an inside joke between you two. She was nothing but respectful and signed off because she has a life to live. So to imply she signed off because she couldn't handle a debate is downright mean.

Mmmmm...nah...I'm rejoicing that the slimey ******* is dead. Plain and simple. I am over joyed and thrilled that THAT man is dead and the USA is the reason why.

:thumbsup2 With you my friend, I do agree and will rejoice!!

In the words of The Rock: "WE GOT HIM!!"

If you don´t like what I write, turn off your computer and go to bed!

You do realize this site is about an American Institution, Walt Disney World. Why not post your nonsense on a forum where 90% of the member are not American.
You really do not realize how offensive your post is to people or maybe you do and are looking for some entertainment.

You do realize this site is about an American Institution, Walt Disney World. Why not post your nonsense on a forum where 90% of the member are not American.
You really do not realize how offensive your post is to people or maybe you do and are looking for some entertainment.

Love your avatar.

Is it time yet? :goodvibes

This I can understand (although I don´t think justice will ever be served in this case, considering the horrific events on 9/11).
However, I can see on Twitter that the US really is not unified in these celebrations and that many are totally appalled my them.

And they have the right to be appalled, if that is how they truly feel.

But others, who do not feel appalled by it, who may actually be glad that Bin Laden was killed, have the same right to feel the way they do.

As far as I am concerned, he is a cretin that deserves no more thought.

I agree. Even GW agreed with you on this:
"I don't know where he is. I don't spend that much time
on him, to be honest with ya." - George Bush

Honestly, I'm thrilled that we do not have to worry about Bin Laden anymore. The dancing in the streets does remind me though of the Muslims that cheered after 911. I thought it was inappropriate then and IMO, it's inappropriate now.

This does not mean that I was not appalled by the events of 911, the USS Cole, the embassy bombings or the WTC attack of February 26, 1993. All were horrific.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter