Bin Laden - celebrations

Freyja

<font color=red>Formerly known as Sleepless in Den
Let me start by saying how happy I am that Bin Laden was caught. I think it´s amazing that the US Army was able to find him after all these years!
BUT....and yes, there is a but, I am disgusted by the celebrations in the streets. Just as much as I was disgusted by seeing muslim celebrations after 9/11.

To each their own- I, for one, LOVED seeing all the celebrations!!!
And to avoid getting points I will not say how I really feel about your post!!

Let me start by saying how happy I am that Bin Laden was caught. I think it´s amazing that the US Army was able to find him after all these years!
BUT....and yes, there is a but, I am disgusted by the celebrations in the streets. Just as much as I was disgusted by seeing muslim celebrations after 9/11.

Whatever.

Turn off your tv.

If they had attacked Iceland you'd be singing a different tune.

Whatever.

Turn off your tv.

No, believe me, I wouldn´t. I have friends who lived in NYC and lost very close friends on 9/11.

I think the celebrations in the street are a way for an entire country that seems to be so split most of the time to come together and, just for a little while, breathe a sigh of relief. Not because we feel safer, but because this man's actions caused so many people so much heartbreak and grief and completely changed every single one of our lives.

I don't necessarily see it as celebrating HIS death so much as celebrating the end of something evil and the triumph of seeing justice served. (Knowing all the while that we really aren't any safer than we were 48 hours ago).

It's symbolic, in a way.

We have been down this road already...the thread got locked.

To me, the difference is they are celebrating the death of a mass murderer, as opposed to the Muslims celebrating mass murder on 9/11.

FTR, I realize not all Muslims celebrated.

I think the celebrations in the street are a way for an entire country that seems to be so split most of the time to come together and, just for a little while, breathe a sigh of relief. Not because we feel safer, but because this man's actions caused so many people so much heartbreak and grief and completely changed every single one of our lives.

I don't necessarily see it as celebrating HIS death so much as celebrating the end of something evil and the triumph of seeing justice served. (Knowing all the while that we really aren't any safer than we were 48 hours ago).

It's symbolic, in a way.

This I can understand (although I don´t think justice will ever be served in this case, considering the horrific events on 9/11).
However, I can see on Twitter that the US really is not unified in these celebrations and that many are totally appalled my them.

It's symbolic, in a way.

Agreed

This I can understand (although I don´t think justice will ever be served in this case, considering the horrific events on 9/11).
However, I can see on Twitter that the US really is not unified in these celebrations and that many are totally appalled my them.

As someone said "the head of the snake" has been cut off. It's a blow to them... it gives us a leg up on them.... for that we are happy... he's gone... we're happy.... Many US citizens thought this would NEVER happen.

I'm glad it happened under Obama's leadership.... way to go Mr. President (and I did NOT vote for him!)

It's not so much that the US is unified in the celebrations, but that the people participating are united with each other. Kind of like when your team wins the game... you high-five those around you even though you don't know them. This was a celebration of a victory to me.

I think for those celebrating it was probably very catharic. When I heard the news this morning, I was shaking and just wanted to talk about it. I think that's probably where a lot of this impromtu celebrating came from.

I believe this thread has been done and closed already today.

I believe this thread has been done and closed already today.

Why? Because my opinion isn´t "right" enough for the Dis?

I don't. Not personally.
Neither did I. I said my best friends lost friends. They had both been working in firms in the twin towers.
However, I do not need to know the people who died personally to feel horrible about what happened!!!

Whatever.

Turn off your tv.

So as an English Person whose country and city were attacked and was stuck in the middle of the carnage of 7/7 with my 16 month old son in a stroller can I say something or you know did Osama Bin Laden only attack America so only Americans can have an opinion?

And was OK when Americans were fundraising for NORAID to fund terror attack on British soil?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter