Big Thunder Ranch Dining

surfmontana

Mouseketeer
I keep reading great reviews on dining at Big Thunder Ranch.

Is it worth going if your not really a fan of BBQ?

Love things grilled, but hate traditional BBQ sauces, pulled pork etc.

Can you'll clue me in on what to expect when dining at Big Thunder Ranch. :confused3

TIA

We've only gone at dinner. The sausage is very tasty and just grilled. Chicken has a dry tub and is grilled. Ribs have a citrus rub and traditional BBQ sauce. Corn is buttered on the cob. Then there's coleslaw, baked beans, and a decent corn bread with honey butter. The desserts are awesome!:

We went at lunch a few days ago. They had chicken and ribs, so there was no pulled pork or that sort of thing. Also no sausage.

I thought the ribs were good. They were pork ribs and were very tender. I personally didn't think they had a citrus taste. I wasn't a big fan of the chicken. The skin was very fatty; however they grilled it didn't allow the fat to render at all, so the skin wasn't crisp. The cole slaw was good (tangy rather than sweet). We also got beans and cornbread. No corn.

I probably wouldn't go back, mainly because of the price. I have a 10 year-old and a 14 year-old, neither of whom eat very much. The 10 year-old had one chicken leg, one little pork rib and some beans. The 14 year-old had one chicken leg and one piece of cornbread. But because it's all you can eat, they charge you by the person and 10 is considered an adult. At other restaurants my kids can split something, but here it cost us something like $25 for each of them. NOT worth it.

hmmm..............not sounding like my cup of tea

I don't think kiddos would dig it either.

From Montana so the 'ranch' atmosphere is not something I need to pay for ;)

I'm not a regular fan of BBQ or the ranch atmosphere, but I LOVE this place. The food tasted fantastic to me, and the kids loved it too. It was especially nice at Christmas-time, surprisingly. It just felt so cozy at night. It's expensive, but I make sure I go at least once on every trip. :) Good luck with your decision!

Lunch doesn't include the corn or sausage, those are only available at dinner. Desserts are amazing but not included in the price of the BBQ.
I really enjoy eating here, it is one of my favorites, we love the slaw, so much that I found the recipe online and I make it a lot. lol It's really really good. The ribs have sauce on the, the chicken doesn't, both are grilled and tasty but we always get extra sauce for dipping. The beans are good and the corn bread is really good too (maybe I should find that recipe lol).
My kids don't like it though and they don't eat very much so they go eat elsewhere and DBF and I eat way too much at the BBQ. lol

I liked it, but not enough to feel compelled to go there again...
The person singing was entertaining, and he seemed to refuse to sing country songs (he just sang country covers of pop songs which was great.)
The food wasn't that great... I would rather eat at a Lucille's for less money. It is in the park though, and most people tend to overlook the quality of the food because of the location and atmosphere. It is sad to say, but even the Tony Romas across the street from Disneyland has better food (and their food isn't good at all.)

There was no singing while we were there. The best thing about it as far as I was concerned was that we were able to go at about 12:30 without a reservation and there were plenty of tables available in the shade.

But seriously, because my two kids were charged as adults, we spent very close to same amount here as we did at Blue Bayou (where they both were able to order off the kids menu). No comparison.

hmmm..............not sounding like my cup of tea

I don't think kiddos would dig it either.

From Montana so the 'ranch' atmosphere is not something I need to pay for ;)

It's really just grilled and dry-rub BBQ meats served in a bucket. The draws are that it's all-you-care-to-eat, and that there is live entertainment (but not continuous live entertainment.) For you, it might be preaching to the choir. I liked the experience but didn't love it. My partner found it pretty "meh". The sausages and corn on the cob are only served at dinner (after 4 p.m.) You'll also share a long table with other parties. We like Cafe Orleans and Plaza Inn much better.

Our family enjoyed the good and atmosphere for lunch. They were just opening so we had to wait a little to get the next round of ribs/chicken.

As we were checking in, they mentioned that we could bring in lunch for my 4 yo and instead of paying for her to eat two bites of BBQ. I ran to a nearby QS, grabbed her something more her speed, and made it back to find food arriving for everyone else. They said anyone could bring in their meal, not just kids. Just be sure not to snack - then you'll be paying twice!

Our family would definitely go back. It is on the pricey side with big portions - we ate a lighter dinner and that was perfect.

Don't forget to use your Disney Visa if you have one. That's one of the restaurants which offers a discount!

TheSpooph said:
Our family enjoyed the good and atmosphere for lunch. They were just opening so we had to wait a little to get the next round of ribs/chicken.

As we were checking in, they mentioned that we could bring in lunch for my 4 yo and instead of paying for her to eat two bites of BBQ. I ran to a nearby QS, grabbed her something more her speed, and made it back to find food arriving for everyone else. They said anyone could bring in their meal, not just kids. Just be sure not to snack - then you'll be paying twice!

Our family would definitely go back. It is on the pricey side with big portions - we ate a lighter dinner and that was perfect.

Don't forget to use your Disney Visa if you have one. That's one of the restaurants which offers a discount!

This is great information about bringing different food in. Thank you!!

We were there for lunch Tuesday, 11:30 reservation right when they opened. I loved the ambiance - it was a super hot day out and we sat in the shade amongst trees at a table right in front of the stage. We said we were fine sitting with others but no one ever joined us.

It was a great escape from the parks, similar (but different) from dining at Blue Bayou (Blue Bayou is nice and dark and has A/C whereas with BTR you are outside but away from the crowds.

DH, DD4 and I ate plenty. Our favorites were the ribs (we ordered extra plus a side of BBQ sauce) and the beans. The chicken was fine but we preferred the ribs. Cole slaw was good too. DH and I can't eat gluten but DD4 loved the corn bread - we had gluten free rolls we dipped liberally in the honey butter. We were too stuffed for dessert but would have ordered the flourless chocolate cake if we had any room left.

The one bummer is the show didn't start until 12:45 so we sort of hung out awhile waiting as we wanted to hear it whereas we had originally planned to go see Mickey's Magical Map, and then thje show only lasted maybe 20 minutes. But we enjoyed it - the last number was "Bare Necessities" and they invited all the kids up on stage to dance. Definitely a highlight for us.

We are not big eaters but felt we ate enough to justify the cost- that and we just got a premier AP so the 15% discount helped too. I am sure we will go back someday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter