Between the BLs (Biggest Loser) Summer Challenge 2010 Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Connie - I think that is a great idea, and love that you want to take this on. Another chance for you to use a spreadsheet! ;)

I have an excel sheet of my measurements, and have really only been taking them when I feel less than motivated about my weight. I think every 3 weeks would be a good idea. If you are bloated from TOM, etc, one week, the scale is up, and the measurements are too, that's discouraging. 3 weeks would be helpful.

As for what to measure - I looked at the list on spark. I don't normally measure chest, just bust. That's a pretty exhaustive list. I only do my neck when I am looking at the sites for body fat compositions. :laughing: My usual is bust, upper arm, waist, pooch (2 inches below belly button);), hips, upper thigh. (Can you tell my trouble zones?) I'll do whatever you set up, I wonder if there are too many if it would discourage from participation, though. Maybe we can get a consesus from those of us still participating that want to do it, I know some are measuring already.

Thanks again for a cool idea.

Good morning. I think I filled my wine glass once too many last night, so I'm drinking a big glass of water to help my head, and then I'll make some coffee and a healthy breakfast. I made a big fruit salad last night, so I'll have that with some yogurt. Just talked to my friend about food for camping, and I will bring many healthy choices, and am planning to run/walk with her daughter at the campground 2 mornings out of 3. Hoping that will help to counteract the smores and alcohol.

Taryn- We'll be home from Maine the night before we go to disney. I plan to do the laundry and pack the suitcase straight from the dryer in the basement. I'll be popping on between maine trips and that night for sure. I can't wait. I've had those headache witht the flashing lights before, and several girls I worked with did too, and think it's like a migraine type headache, and sometimes hormonal too. Hope you're feeling better today.

Connie- I like the idea of measurements too. I've heard others talk about their measurements and how they've lost inches, and wish I had measured before I started running because I do feel I've lost inches this year, though I havn't lost weight. It would be a good motivator for me. Thank you for offering to keep track of it all. Every 3 weeks sounds good too, and for me, I know I probably wouldn't do it on a weekly basis.

I'm going to start packing now. Have a great day.

Quick question, just finished my 3 mile run, gotta get ready!

Anyone that's lost found ugly stretch marks that are no longer stretched? That's a great thing, but the ones on my upper arm are bothering me. I'm fairly pleased with my arms except for a little bit, and of course that still saggy area is where the stretch marks are. Any hints on tightening, or helping to get rid of them? Thought about getting some of the post pregnancy cream, but wanted to check to see if anyone had any good ideas. A miracle cellulite cream for my inner thighs would be great, too:lmao:

Thanks Kathy. I think it was the beginnings of a migraine, thankfully I nipped it before it became full blown! Good luck packing!

Have a great day everyone!:hug:
Taryn

Morning!

I have a few minutes before I need to make breakfast. Today is an oatmeal morning.

Connie-I love this idea too! I think every 3 weeks would be perfect. I'm with Taryn-not too many, but too few measurements.

I'll try to keep up with the thread today. Not sure where yesterday went. I realized around 6 this morning that I didn't finish everything, so already know that I'll have a busy day. :goodvibes

Have a great day everyone!

Slept until almost 7 this morning! SO I'll do my 3 mile WATP when I get back from bus orientation and before we go to the library and I'll try to squeeze in another one before I go to work at 5:45.

Of course now that's it's the end of the summer I can sleep in the morning. Which isn't a good thing since I will be getting up at the crack of dawn starting in 3 weeks to get the girls off to school. I will be getting up early tomorrow as DH needs to get up at 5 to go to work early. I should really get back into my early schedule next week except for Monday which is DHs birthday!

Time to go set the alarm for the morning.

Oh my....totally craziness here! I have meant to get on and respond about a thousand times over but WDW discounts have gotten in my way! :lmao: Seriously...today I even gave up my run (which was good because I have already run 2 days in a row) to crunch numbers So, here is what I have been up to:

Planning for the Princess 1/2 - Well, Jude (jbm02) and I are running this together and we had planned on vacationing together. We had reservations at Shades of Green but with the free dining...we have spent days crunching numbers and pouring over menus! I am now booked at the Pop with the deluxe dining plan (upgraded the free dining). We can begin to make dining reservations tomorrow so that is terribly exciting!

Planning for next August's trip - I had thought that we would not have to worry about this for a bit but they released free dining for those dates as well. Really, not totally because we had planned on WDW then the cruise but now we will cruise and do WDW after to fit the right dates for free dining. This has meant a bunch more planning.

So, as you can see....I have been totally wrapped up with calling Disney and pouring over estimates and e-mailing back and forth with Jude to work it all out.

I did fit in time yesterday to exercise - pilates and running. Today, I took the day off of all hard core exercising and just took a walk. Tomorrow I am scheduled to run, do pilates and lift again. To help me train for my mud run, I am running 5 days a week, doing pilates 5 days a week, running hills 1 day (at the end of a regular running day), lifting weights 4 days a week, and doing some other workout (a DVD, a walk, hiking, swimming, etc) at least 3 days a week. I have been doing good keeping to my plan but it is making me very tired!

I think it is also making me pretty hungry. I have noticed that I have gained 1 pound but I am not going to worry about it at this point. I am eating a bit more and it is the bad time of the month so I am sure it is not a big deal.

I have been doing really well with the COW this week and am happy that I am getting better with some of the things I let slip earlier in the challenge. I thought I would answer the COW part 2 tonight.

PART TWO
Since we have had a drop in people participating in the COW...I am going to try to inspire you to give it a try again with at least the 2nd part! I recently came across this quote:

Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer.

For part 2 of the COW this week, share with us something that you thought would be impossible to do but is now a reality. It can be about your weight, body size, exercise, something new you do now that you never thought you could do...whatever!

Things that I had thought were impossible...but really they just took me some time:
1. Becoming a lifetime member of WW - I always quit before I reach goal. Can you believe they asked me if I was interested in becoming a leader?!
2. I call myself a runner - oh yeah...I am totally a runner! There are even medals hanging in my bedroom to show what a rock star I am!
3. I wear shorts every day it is warm enough - DH even commented that he could not remember seeing me in shorts since before DD was born (she is now 14).
4. I don't mind being in the photo - I didn't think there would be a time where I would ever want to give up the camera and it was all because I didn't want to be in the photos for fear that all the pictures of me being overweight would ruin the memories for me. I now LOVE having photos taken.
5. There are sizes in my closet that HAVE to be impossible...yet when I put them on....they fit! :cool1: There are all medium and small sizes! I actually just gave away the last of my size large clothing!
6. I set my alarm to get up and exercise...and I get up! Seriously there are days where it is hard but I never thought I would see the day that I would even set the alarm...let alone get up! :rotfl2:

Alright, my list could go on and on! 8 months of this journey with you all has taught me that there is nothing that is impossible. It is just that...a journey. It may take me time but I will do whatever I set my mind to! Just so you all know, I WILL be doing a full marathon next year! This is from the girl who cried running 1 block in January! Bring it all on!

First of all... I am FLOORED by your workout schedule.... makes me feel like a total slacker!!

Second... I am moved to tears by reading your list of new accomplishments and such. I am SO proud of you!

We fortunately have a running/walking trail in our neighborhood..no cars to worry about! i do have my phone, but i hadn't thought of a flashlight, DS won't mind carrying that.

Yes, I watch The Colony......oh my! on the way it ended this week. I don't know how those people are dealing with the stress....I don't think I could ever do anything like that.

Have a great night everyone!

Glad you brought along a flashlight.

The Colony is actually better than I thought it would be, but I could do without the violence. I love reality-type TV and survival scenarios. Anxious to see how they resolve the kidnapping situation.

Nice work on the run, Pamela.

I met George Clooney!!!! When he was filming The Perfect Storm in Gloucester, MA, I took to biking down many days to try and catch a glimpse of him. Some might call it stalking, but what do they know. One day I drove with a friend and we hung around much of the day, had lunch, and in talking to people heard he comes out the the trailers most afternoons and plays basketball. I had to pick up my nephew as school, so I did and made him come back with us to maybe "meet a movie star" even though he never heard of him. We saw him playing b-ball and then we were gawking at the jersey barriers around the trailers, and he came over and chatted with us and gave out autographs. He seemed so real and down to earth. I got some great pictures. It was very cool.
:rotfl:

I definitely think the scatterbraindom is motherhood related, too much to keep track of. Our vaca starts friday, but the first week is split in 2 short trips to Maine, and then the following monday is WDW!! I'm written up a scavenger hunt for him when he wakes up to tell him. The first clue will be on the tv and it will send him in to wake me up. Then to brush his teeth, feed the guinea pig, and a few other things to the final clue will be a present with a new donald duck hat and wdw t-shirt in his closet. I can't wait. We've been watching the travel channel and talking a lot of disney lately, but we talk about the february trip, so he will be so excited when it's sooner. Though he's all brave and saying he's going to do space mountain and rock and roller coaster, but I don't know if he really will so soon. :rotfl::hug: Sorry about all the stress and money worries. It is tough, and I've been there too. Glad you're feeling better about is and making some plans to help you deal. Hang in there.

And an extra :banana::dance3::banana: congrats to coach Pamela for being the biggest loser!!! Whoo hoo!!

We had a bbq and then went to the concert at the library which was very fun. I did eat and drink a little too much, and just ate some cookies when I got back. Why? Not hungry, not bored, not stressed, just impulsive and they looked good. Not really 6 points a piece good, but I didn't look at the label first. I will bring the rest to work in the am. Actually I'm going to put them in the car right now so I won't touch them again. Tomorrow is another short day for me, so I'll be able to run alone before I pick up michael from camp. Then we'll get everything ready for camping this weekend.

Have a nice evening.

George Clooney?? In my book you are the WINNER!!

I am excited for you, hearing about BOTH of your upcoming vacations. Are you heading to OOB in Maine?? I know you helped me out with some info about that area last year and DS and I really loved it. Enjoy the first part of your vacation, no matter WHERE you are heading!

I've learned the HARD way to try to always figure out the points BEFORE I eat something!! Get those cookies out of the house.

Forgive me, just don't have replies in me right now. Maybe I can get to it tomorrow. Thanks for the hugs, I've loved reading your famous people stories! Hello to everyone!

My famous encounters? AK met Tara Humphries, John Rothlisberger, and John Macready, all former Olympic gymnasts. I took the pictures, does that count? Frank Beamer, HEAD COACH OF VT HOKIES!!! and the asst. coach, Bud Foster. Doesn't mean much to non-hokies, I know. :laughing: A former miss america, don't remember which one. Fridge Perry when I was at a 4-H convention in Chicago at age 15, he was in the elevator with me. Michael Vick, not overly proud of that one. Babysat Dale Jarrett, Nascar driver's kids, when he used to drive for Wood Brother's Racing. They are from my hometown, I babysat their kids, and babysat Dale's during the Martinsville race. Met him that morning before the race. One of my high school friends used to pitch for the Atlanta Braves - Brad Clontz. AK sat in Regis' chair at the Yachtsman, does that count, too? THere is someone I am forgetting...

Rough day. Just long. Had a prety bad headache just before lunch, sat in my room during lunch with the lights off and it went away. Was seeing weird spots. School nurse took my BP, it was fine, she said sounded like I might have low blood sugar, which could have made sense since I didn't eat dinner, and only about half of kashi bar for breakfast. Ate a hershey's kiss, and a big lunch. Spinach, yogurt, peach, string cheese. That and the dark helped. Pretty hungry tonight, munched for dinner - carrot sticks, a few slices of turkey, a couple of peanut butter crackers, handful of chex mix. nothing filling or exciting.

Night!:hug:
Taryn

We were big Dale Jarrett fans when he was driving for UPS, but he didn't have a great record and now he is gone.

IT definitely sounds like the start of a migraine. Glad you were able to catch it before it got too bad.

EVERYONE - PLEASE READ AND COMMENT

Would anyone be interested in participating in a new OPTIONAL measuring component beginning with the Fall challenge??

I know that I am not the only one out there who tends to shy away from strength training because, even though I know I would burn more calories and I know my body would feel better and look better, I just hate the idea of the numbers on the scale not going down as quickly as I want. So, since this challenge has inspired me so much to get my weight moving in the right direction again, I began thinking about how I might use this forum to get my head straight about actual fitness, rather than just weight.

If we began tracking body measurements, in addtion to weight, is this something that you would like to participate in? Percent of weight loss would still be the only factor in determining "Biggest Loser" status for our weekly and overall winners. Body measurements would be optional and recognition for biggest INCH losers would be handled much like the COW. My thought is that we would each measure at pre-determined parts of the body and add them up to a total measurement. You would then PM the total measurement to me and I would track and report back to you those with the biggest inch losses.

The variables that we need to discuss include:

1) Which measurements? Common body measurements are discussed in this article: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1281. Would we want to include all of these or just a few key measurements?

2) How frequently would we want to do this? Is weekly too frequent to see differences worth noting? With a 15-week challenge coming up, measuring every 3 weeks would divide out evenly - would that be more motivating?

3) Wresting with a measuring tape takes more time that stepping on the scale, so I'm guessing we'd probably want to do this over the weekend and PM results during the weekend or on Monday.

4) Is there enough interest to persue this?

I think this is something that we can do together that will help support us all thru the weight-loss slow-downs. The scale measures the weight of our fat, muscles, bones, skin, internal organs, hair, toenails and, dare I say, the contents of our stomachs, bladders and colons. (Ewww!) The measuring tape, when used in conjunction with the scale will help us gain better perspective of the true changes in our body composition.

I have PM'd our hostesses about this over the past few days and I am presenting it to you with their consent. Please comment and let us know what you think.

I'm going to hang back from commenting right now. I've honestly NEVER measured myself .... not at any point in time during the past 2 1/2 years of WW. Not sure if this is the time to start.

Good morning. I think I filled my wine glass once too many last night, so I'm drinking a big glass of water to help my head, and then I'll make some coffee and a healthy breakfast. I made a big fruit salad last night, so I'll have that with some yogurt. Just talked to my friend about food for camping, and I will bring many healthy choices, and am planning to run/walk with her daughter at the campground 2 mornings out of 3. Hoping that will help to counteract the smores and alcohol.

Taryn- We'll be home from Maine the night before we go to disney. I plan to do the laundry and pack the suitcase straight from the dryer in the basement. I'll be popping on between maine trips and that night for sure. I can't wait. I've had those headache witht the flashing lights before, and several girls I worked with did too, and think it's like a migraine type headache, and sometimes hormonal too. Hope you're feeling better today.

A s'more is only 3 points if made with 2 graham cracker squares, 2 chocolate squares (or maybe it is 3), and 1 marshmallow. Well worth it in my opinion.... but make sure it is PERFECT... don't burn the marshmallow!:laughing:

You are certainly making the most of your vacation time!

Quick question, just finished my 3 mile run, gotta get ready!

Anyone that's lost found ugly stretch marks that are no longer stretched? That's a great thing, but the ones on my upper arm are bothering me. I'm fairly pleased with my arms except for a little bit, and of course that still saggy area is where the stretch marks are. Any hints on tightening, or helping to get rid of them? Thought about getting some of the post pregnancy cream, but wanted to check to see if anyone had any good ideas. A miracle cellulite cream for my inner thighs would be great, too:lmao:

Taryn

Other than adding muscle under the skin, not sure how to deal with the saggy upper arms that seem to plague most middle-aged and older women. And of course, a significant weight loss makes it worse. If you find the miracle cream, let me know!!;)

Good morning everyone! Unbelievable it is Thursday already! Where has this week gone?? My kids head back to school in 6 days and I don't feel ready for summer to be gone! At least the weather has been better than last summer's rainy disaster.

I'm holding out for a small loss this week, despite the pizza episode from Tuesday. I got on the scale Wed. morning and was down a bit from the previous Friday, so there is still hope!! I did really well yesterday... just gotta keep up the momentum today and hopefully tomorrow morning will bring some good news.

I've gotta get this house under control today... without fail! But first I need to post today's QOTD:

If you were given $10,000 to spend in a CHARITABLE way, how would you spend it? All to one organization? Divided between many? What organization(s) would get it and why? Your choice, but you cannot keep the money for yourself.

I'll answer later.

It has been great coaching this week. It really helps keep me FOCUSED on my weight loss/healthy lifestyle goal.

Don't forget about the move to the new thread tomorrow!!! If you are afraid you will get lost, pick a moving buddy and hold hands! I'm sure it will be easy enough to find us.... we're a big group (and getting smaller all the time ;) )

TTYL.....................P

Congratulations to all the losers and maintainers this week!! :cool1::cool1:

Once again, I've been MIA for a while. But at least I'm back today and am going to try and make sure I am back every day this week.

I have been doing really well with the COW this week and am happy that I am getting better with some of the things I let slip earlier in the challenge. I thought I would answer the COW part 2 tonight.

PART TWO
Since we have had a drop in people participating in the COW...I am going to try to inspire you to give it a try again with at least the 2nd part! I recently came across this quote:

For part 2 of the COW this week, share with us something that you thought would be impossible to do but is now a reality. It can be about your weight, body size, exercise, something new you do now that you never thought you could do...whatever!

Things that I had thought were impossible...but really they just took me some time:
1. Becoming a lifetime member of WW - I always quit before I reach goal. Can you believe they asked me if I was interested in becoming a leader?!
2. I call myself a runner - oh yeah...I am totally a runner! There are even medals hanging in my bedroom to show what a rock star I am!
3. I wear shorts every day it is warm enough - DH even commented that he could not remember seeing me in shorts since before DD was born (she is now 14).
4. I don't mind being in the photo - I didn't think there would be a time where I would ever want to give up the camera and it was all because I didn't want to be in the photos for fear that all the pictures of me being overweight would ruin the memories for me. I now LOVE having photos taken.
5. There are sizes in my closet that HAVE to be impossible...yet when I put them on....they fit! :cool1: There are all medium and small sizes! I actually just gave away the last of my size large clothing!
6. I set my alarm to get up and exercise...and I get up! Seriously there are days where it is hard but I never thought I would see the day that I would even set the alarm...let alone get up! :rotfl2:

Alright, my list could go on and on! 8 months of this journey with you all has taught me that there is nothing that is impossible. It is just that...a journey. It may take me time but I will do whatever I set my mind to! Just so you all know, I WILL be doing a full marathon next year! This is from the girl who cried running 1 block in January! Bring it all on!

Jen, that is totally amazing. Can I adopt your attitude?? 'cuz sometimes I really need to!!
For me, it was the first time I completed 7 miles. Of all my work out friends, I'm the "sturdy" one - they are all instructors and frankly, are in amazing shape. In writing this post I realized that my mind games took me to a place where I "could never be like that". And I think it inhibited me alot. You guys here have gotten me over that hurdle - without the encouragement here, I would never have believed that I could run the way I am now.

EVERYONE - PLEASE READ AND COMMENT

Would anyone be interested in participating in a new OPTIONAL measuring component beginning with the Fall challenge??

I know that I am not the only one out there who tends to shy away from strength training because, even though I know I would burn more calories and I know my body would feel better and look better, I just hate the idea of the numbers on the scale not going down as quickly as I want. So, since this challenge has inspired me so much to get my weight moving in the right direction again, I began thinking about how I might use this forum to get my head straight about actual fitness, rather than just weight.

If we began tracking body measurements, in addtion to weight, is this something that you would like to participate in? Percent of weight loss would still be the only factor in determining "Biggest Loser" status for our weekly and overall winners. Body measurements would be optional and recognition for biggest INCH losers would be handled much like the COW. My thought is that we would each measure at pre-determined parts of the body and add them up to a total measurement. You would then PM the total measurement to me and I would track and report back to you those with the biggest inch losses.

The variables that we need to discuss include:

1) Which measurements? Common body measurements are discussed in this article: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1281. Would we want to include all of these or just a few key measurements?

2) How frequently would we want to do this? Is weekly too frequent to see differences worth noting? With a 15-week challenge coming up, measuring every 3 weeks would divide out evenly - would that be more motivating?

3) Wresting with a measuring tape takes more time that stepping on the scale, so I'm guessing we'd probably want to do this over the weekend and PM results during the weekend or on Monday.

4) Is there enough interest to persue this?

I think this is something that we can do together that will help support us all thru the weight-loss slow-downs. The scale measures the weight of our fat, muscles, bones, skin, internal organs, hair, toenails and, dare I say, the contents of our stomachs, bladders and colons. (Ewww!) The measuring tape, when used in conjunction with the scale will help us gain better perspective of the true changes in our body composition.

I have PM'd our hostesses about this over the past few days and I am presenting it to you with their consent. Please comment and let us know what you think.

YES!! Although I might need help in setting up the best way to record this on a spread sheet (and Shannon and Jen, don't laugh at me - I promise to do better reporting from now on!!)

Famous people: Unfortunately, no George Clooney here!!! :rotfl2: I waited on Reba McEntire at Saratoga Race Track (in Saratoga Springs NY, not the one in WDW!!), Genesis (the band was just walking down the street one day in Montreaux Switzerland and ran into a bunch of us college kids in Europe. They couldn't have been any nicer...), Toby Keith did a USO sponsored concert for us and talked and had lunch with a few of us.
Taryn, I tutored our college basketball and hockey team while in college - I love college hockey and basketball!! (Go Big East!!) None of the guys are still playing but Billy Donovan (classmate and "tutee" - is that a word??) coaches down in Florida and Rick Pitino, former basketball coach at PC, is still coaching basketball too.

If you were given $10,000 to spend in a CHARITABLE way, how would you spend it? All to one organization? Divided between many? What organization(s) would get it and why? Your choice, but you cannot keep the money for yourself.

I'm on the board for our regional START (Sexual Abuse Trauma And Recovery Team), which provides services to children who are victims and witness to violence and domestic trauma. It's a wonderful place and provides an outlet where CPS, police and prosecutors can speak with children in a less imposing facility by having them tell their story only once, instead of having to repeat it over and over for each social service needed. There is a SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) available to do exams (no waiting in the hospital ER) and also provides a location for counselling services...hmmm, I'm starting to sound like an advertisement. But all of the money would go here if I had it!

Time for me to get back to work.
Jude

Good morning all! :goodvibes

Thanks for coaching this week, pjlla! :flower3: You've have some wonderful, interesting questions.

And an early welcome to our new coach starting tomorrow, Rose&Mike! :cool1:

YAY :banana::banana:

I'm home honey:rotfl: God knows how far behind I fell. I'm not even gonna try to catch up. But the virus is cleaned out, and I am online once again. Of course I missed another weigh in but we'll have to deal. And the hardest part was getting back online. Was about ready to kill DH. But here we are. please excuse this if its a bit big. It does look that way. Also looks bold. Just re-loaded firefox, and its apparently updated some since I had to split. I'll figure it out soon. I promise:thumbsup2

Welcome back, Octoberbride03! Sorry about your computer woes -- hope they are behind you for good.

Back from my run. Did a 5K. fell a few minutes short of my last 5K time. I thought the weather seemed nicer but once I got running I noticed how humid it still is. It also seemed like something was in the air. Almost like a dusty consistency. I kept coughing and getting a tickle in my throat through parts of my run.:confused3 wierd. Anyway it felt good to get out and clear my mind....burning some calories too.

For a few seconds when I read this post I thought that you had fallen while you were running! :scared1: Sorry about the air quality -- are there any fires in your area? We have a lot of fires in our area now and I am having to just do small walks until the smoke clears out.

Oh my....totally craziness here! I have meant to get on and respond about a thousand times over but WDW discounts have gotten in my way! :lmao: Seriously...today I even gave up my run (which was good because I have already run 2 days in a row) to crunch numbers So, here is what I have been up to:PART TWO

jenanderson, your list is so impressive! :goodvibes You can see in your picture how healthy and happy you are!

And so much fun to be planning two WDW trips. Hmm, free dining. It didn't even click that it might be available during the Princess. princess:

Just wanted to say I love your list. Right now I have only one thing....which is I have just started to run, but even two months ago I would have said that it was impossible.

Doing what you thought was impossible is kind of fun, isn't it? :flower3:

Home from work! At least tonight the client showed up! The no show from yesterday is coming tomorrow night instead or at least I hope!

Lisa- I thought I had quoted you, you little hussy, kissing the rock star!! ;)

Yep, I was a wild and crazy girl! :lmao:

Hi Everyone,

Today was another binge-free day. I did eat more than I would have liked, but no bingeing! :thumbsup2

I wish I had time to respond to all of you, but I'm already up later than usual. It's really important to me and necessary for me to keep my sleep/wake cycle in check.

Thanks for all the support and compliments! :)

Have a great day tomorrow everyone! :goodvibes

CC

:woohoo: another binge free day! Keep up the good work!

Forgive me, just don't have replies in me right now. Maybe I can get to it tomorrow. Thanks for the hugs, I've loved reading your famous people stories! Hello to everyone!

:hug: Glad that you are feeling better, Taryn. You are under so much stress now. Take it easy and take care of yourself. You have a lot of folks depending on you! :flower3:

Thanks so much, Connie, for volunteering to do this! :flower3: I would say pick three or four things to measure, i.e. bust, waist, hips, maybe one thigh and do it every three weeks. That would be six measurements, including the starting and take you right up through the end of the challenge on December 17th. Whatever the majority decides, and you are willing to do, is fine with me!

I've gotta get this house under control today... without fail! But first I need to post today's QOTD:

Hmmm, I think I would take $1,000 and donate it to the library at DS' old school because that is about their entire year's budget for books. We read a lot of good books from there and contributed a lot but it would be nice to give them one more year of support. Then I would take another $1,000 and give it to the local humane society where all of our wonderful pets have come from. Then I would take the rest and give it to DS' new school in an effort to start a library because they don't have one.

I will start the new thread sometime today so it is ready for tomorrow! :flower3:

Congratulations to all the losers and maintainers this week!! :cool1::cool1:

Once again, I've been MIA for a while. But at least I'm back today and am going to try and make sure I am back every day this week.

Jen, that is totally amazing. Can I adopt your attitude?? 'cuz sometimes I really need to!!
For me, it was the first time I completed 7 miles. Of all my work out friends, I'm the "sturdy" one - they are all instructors and frankly, are in amazing shape. In writing this post I realized that my mind games took me to a place where I "could never be like that". And I think it inhibited me alot. You guys here have gotten me over that hurdle - without the encouragement here, I would never have believed that I could run the way I am now.

Famous people: Unfortunately, no George Clooney here!!! :rotfl2: I waited on Reba McEntire at Saratoga Race Track (in Saratoga Springs NY, not the one in WDW!!), Genesis (the band was just walking down the street one day in Montreaux Switzerland and ran into a bunch of us college kids in Europe. They couldn't have been any nicer...), Toby Keith did a USO sponsored concert for us and talked and had lunch with a few of us.
Taryn, I tutored our college basketball and hockey team while in college - I love college hockey and basketball!! (Go Big East!!) None of the guys are still playing but Billy Donovan (classmate and "tutee" - is that a word??) coaches down in Florida and Rick Pitino, former basketball coach at PC, is still coaching basketball too.

I'm on the board for our regional START (Sexual Abuse Trauma And Recovery Team), which provides services to children who are victims and witness to violence and domestic trauma. It's a wonderful place and provides an outlet where CPS, police and prosecutors can speak with children in a less imposing facility by having them tell their story only once, instead of having to repeat it over and over for each social service needed. There is a SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) available to do exams (no waiting in the hospital ER) and also provides a location for counselling services...hmmm, I'm starting to sound like an advertisement. But all of the money would go here if I had it!

Time for me to get back to work.
Jude

First of all... glad you're back with us! I did notice that I hadn't seen you in a while, but wasn't sure if I missed something about you being away on vacation.

Your charity choice sounds amazing. And how great of you to donate your time to be on the board. It is a great feeling when you can find a cause that you really believe in and want to work with.

Good morning all! :goodvibes

Thanks for coaching this week, pjlla! :flower3: You've have some wonderful, interesting questions.

And an early welcome to our new coach starting tomorrow, Rose&Mike!

Hmmm, I think I would take $1,000 and donate it to the library at DS' old school because that is about their entire year's budget for books. We read a lot of good books from there and contributed a lot but it would be nice to give them one more year of support. Then I would take another $1,000 and give it to the local humane society where all of our wonderful pets have come from. Then I would take the rest and give it to DS' new school in an effort to start a library because they don't have one.

I will start the new thread sometime today so it is ready for tomorrow! :flower3:

Thanks for the comment about the questions. It definitely felt like some of them were more "important" than others, but I know that some people like more "in depth" questions while others prefer to answer more light-hearted questions. I tried to mix it up a bit.

Books are definitely near and dear to my heart, so I love that you would try to help start a new library! And the Humane Society is such a worthy cause. I can't even venture in there because I KNOW I would come home with a whole basket of new kitties!!

I'll be looking for the new thread to get started!

Healthy breakfast made and eaten, washing machine started, one laundry load folded... moving slow today, but at least I'm moving!

My Mom turns 69 tomorrow.... any suggestions for a healthy gift? Maybe a massage... she loves those! I already made her a necklace and gave it to her during vacation, but I'd like to get her something else.

TTYL...............P

QOTD: If I had $10000 to donate I would donate the full amount to brain tumor research. That is a cause that is near and dear to us:goodvibes

Only have a minute – sorry if I miss anyone!

Jen A – Love your list!

Kathy – I’m so jealous! I think George Clooney is so handsome and I know I would turn into a stuttering fool if I came within 100 yards of him!

Connie – I think the measurements are very helpful and I would participate in that aspect as well. I personally have been measuring upper arm, thigh, waist and hips – I think that gives a good overall perspective, but I’m cool with whatever the consensus ends up being. Thanks for thinking of this (and volunteering!).

Thursday OQTD : If you were given $10,000 to spend in a CHARITABLE way, how would you spend it? All to one organization? Divided between many? What organization(s) would get it and why? Your choice, but you cannot keep the money for yourself.
DS and I have a few favorites that we donate to frequently, I think we’d probably split it up between Make A Wish, St Jude, Prevent Cancer Foundation, World Wildlife Federation, Habitat for Humanity and Heifer International.

Off to my meeting and then leaving early for the fair. Talk to you guys tomorrow.

Bree

Morning all...vent first...I hate PMS bloat..I am up 2 lbs since last Friday, and I am irritated, and irritable all at the same time!

QOTD -If you were given $10,000 to spend in a CHARITABLE way, how would you spend it? All to one organization? Divided between many? What organization(s) would get it and why? Your choice, but you cannot keep the money for yourself.

I would split it between several - 25% each to our local nature center, because we love, love spending time there. They are donation driven, so $2500 would mean lots of good things for them, and everyone who visits.

25% to our local library system. Have loved to read since I was a kid, and fortunatley, DS enjoys it too. We typcially go to the library every other weekend, more during the summer since he has more time to read.

25% to our Local Ronald McDonald House. DH has been volunteering there once a month for about the last four years. I don't typically get to go becuase of work (his job is pretty flexible, so he can just go!) but i know that is something near and dear to his heart.

25% to our local Lab Rescue. Our puppy is the sweetest thing ever, and I would love to be able to help more doggies.

Connie - I would be willing to give the measuring challenge a shot. I did measure once about 4 weeks into the summer, but those numbers were so ugly, I haven't been able to make myself do it again!

Back to work for me..have a great day everyone!

Dahly

I think this is a fabulous idea. Maybe it would motivate me to exercise. I've noticed my body changing and not for the good over the last year. I know that I need exercise, but I lack motivation. Maybe this is the motivation that I need.

I'm in it for the motivation, too, Deb! :thumbsup2

Connie - I think that is a great idea, and love that you want to take this on. Another chance for you to use a spreadsheet! ;)

Any excuse to play with Excel, right!? :rotfl:

I have an excel sheet of my measurements, and have really only been taking them when I feel less than motivated about my weight. I think every 3 weeks would be a good idea. If you are bloated from TOM, etc, one week, the scale is up, and the measurements are too, that's discouraging. 3 weeks would be helpful.

As for what to measure - I looked at the list on spark. I don't normally measure chest, just bust. That's a pretty exhaustive list. I only do my neck when I am looking at the sites for body fat compositions. :laughing: My usual is bust, upper arm, waist, pooch (2 inches below belly button);), hips, upper thigh. (Can you tell my trouble zones?) I'll do whatever you set up, I wonder if there are too many if it would discourage from participation, though. Maybe we can get a consensus from those of us still participating that want to do it, I know some are measuring already.

Thanks again for a cool idea.

Taryn, I agree that the SparkPeople list is a bit much. I was originally thinking waist, hips, both thighs and both arms. But, I wasn't really looking forward to doing my arms just because it's hard to do by yourself with one hand. (Lazy, much?? :rolleyes:) I like the idea of adding in the belly or "pooch" area. It's not on Spark's list, but I do know this is an area that I would like to "get credit" for losing!

Connie- I like the idea of measurements too. I've heard others talk about their measurements and how they've lost inches, and wish I had measured before I started running because I do feel I've lost inches this year, though I haven't lost weight. It would be a good motivator for me. Thank you for offering to keep track of it all. Every 3 weeks sounds good too, and for me, I know I probably wouldn't do it on a weekly basis.

Thanks for your input, Kathy! I figure if I'm "in charge" of something, I'll be fairly well roped into sticking around here for awhile - for my own good! :laughing:

Connie-I love this idea too! I think every 3 weeks would be perfect. I'm with Taryn-not too many, but too few measurements.

I agree, CC. I think we're definitely in a "keep it simple" situation. We'll discuss it over the next week and come up with our starting criteria. And, if we get into it and find it needs tweaking... we'll do what we need to do.

I'm going to hang back from commenting right now. I've honestly NEVER measured myself .... not at any point in time during the past 2 1/2 years of WW. Not sure if this is the time to start.

Pamela, you've got planning down to an art and you're working a seriously successful groove. If it ain't broke... you know! :thumbsup2

YES!! Although I might need help in setting up the best way to record this on a spread sheet (and Shannon and Jen, don't laugh at me - I promise to do better reporting from now on!!)

Welcome back, Jude! Once we hammer out the criteria, I will be happy to provide you with a spreadsheet to track your information. I do love a good spreadsheet. :rotfl:

Thanks so much, Connie, for volunteering to do this! :flower3: I would say pick three or four things to measure, i.e. bust, waist, hips, maybe one thigh and do it every three weeks. That would be six measurements, including the starting and take you right up through the end of the challenge on December 17th. Whatever the majority decides, and you are willing to do, is fine with me!

Thanks, Lisa!

Connie – I think the measurements are very helpful and I would participate in that aspect as well. I personally have been measuring upper arm, thigh, waist and hips – I think that gives a good overall perspective, but I’m cool with whatever the consensus ends up being. Thanks for thinking of this (and volunteering!).

That looks like a concise and do-able measurement list. Thanks, Bree.

Connie - I would be willing to give the measuring challenge a shot. I did measure once about 4 weeks into the summer, but those numbers were so ugly, I haven't been able to make myself do it again!

I'm not a fan of my numbers either, but I'm hoping that, by challenging each other to stick with it, we are all able to see our numbers in a downward-trend.

I think we have a consensus already on frequency - I think we'll be looking at reporting measurements once every three weeks. For simplicity, I will stick with Friday dates since that's what we're used to for weigh-ins, but as long as you can report in by the following Monday, everything oughta work out fine.

Proposed measurement reporting dates:
9/3, 9/24, 10/15, 11/5, 11/26 (day after Thanksgiving... YIKES!!), 12/17

Another thought on determining how many measurements to include... If overall inch loss is figured by percentage, are we okay with a certain margin of error if we each measure whatever body parts we each choose for ourselves??? The only catch is that you have to measure the same body parts every time - to keep everything fair (if not perfectly precise), you would have to be careful to always take the same measurements throughout the challenge. I do want to attempt a pre-determined list for all of us to use, but I'm open to some flexibility. The more measurements we include, the more inches you can potentially lose, but it probably wouldn't affect your overall inch-loss percentage if you only take a quick six measurements or so.

We are nowhere near choosing a final plan, but here are some loose suggestions for your perusal and comment:
A) Bust, waist, belly, hips, left thigh, right thigh.
B) Chest, waist, belly, hips, left-or-right thigh, left-or-right arm.
C) Waist, belly, hips, both thighs, both arms.
D) Whatever you want as long as you're consistent.

Question: Which body part(s) do you ABSOLUTELY want to include? Exclude?

At the beginning and the end of the Fall challenge, I would like to encourage everyone to take ALL the measurements suggested by this article from SparkPeople: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1281. We wouldn't use the full list for this portion of the challenge, but if we each stick with it thru the challenge, I think it would be really great for each of us to have that benchmark to reflect on after 15 weeks.

Good morning

Spent yesterday watching the tree guys trim trees. We have been worried after seeing so many branches come down in the area. Our house is more visible and many of the branches are off the house. The trees could still come down but we have done something to try to prevent it.

We were out in the yard early this morning trimming some trees that were lower and dh could do. It was still pretty cool this morning and we were done by 10 before it got too hot.

pjilla I made the gazpacho from a recipe from America's Test Kitchen 10 year cookbook. If I get a chance this weekend I will post it on the recipe site. I don't know the calorie count but it can't be too high. No oil and lots of veggies. This one is served cold. It is almost like drinking a salad.

Kathy George Clooney wins.

My sister met a number of stars when she first started working. Her first job out of secreterial school (Yes I am aging myself. I don't even think they are around any more. My sister is a Gibbs girl). was for CBS. She worked with the production company that made Bicentenial Minutes. She worked mostly with the writers and the producers but a could of times they did some taping in NY. I do know that she met some of the big newscasters from NY and I think Dick Cavett.

Ds2 is coming home today. He will only be home for a week. He is going back early to help with Freshman Honors Orientation. His apartment is set up. His books came in the other day. I know we have to make a trip to Staples for notebooks and maybe the grocery store for some basics but it might just be easier to give him a gift card to the store and let him buy his own down there.

Have to go. Dh and I are going out to lunch. we are trying to treat ourselves since we didn't go away this summer.

HAve a great afternoon.

QOTD: If you were given $10,000 to spend in a CHARITABLE way, how would you spend it? All to one organization? Divided between many? What organization(s) would get it and why? Your choice, but you cannot keep the money for yourself.

I would have to go with an organization that supports those with mental handicaps or illness. I grew up near a facility that housed and cared for people with severe mental retardation and another "half-way house" facility for those who needed supervision, but could mostly care for themselves. Our family would regularly give rides to a couple of folks from that facility so they could attend our church. It seems that there is still a lot of ignorance about these conditions and it's one of those things that just doesn't seem to get the attention it should. (Probably because most programs are state-run and we all know what a good job the government does with programs of all kinds...:rolleyes:)

There is also an locally owned animal rescue here and I would love to be able to help them out if I could.

today's QOTD:

I would donate it all to the non-profit homeless services and housing agency I work for. I would designate it to a particular new permanent housing project, and use it as a naming opportunity for some community room space or a garden. It would be dedicated as a tribute to my parents, my mom who has passed and my dad. They made me the person I am today, and if I had $10,000 to donate it would be due to their support and guidance. :lovestruc

So, I got up this morning and ran 6M. I was able to get up later because I didn't have to be anywhere until 9:30. I'm going home early today and I plan to finally get to my mani/pedi and writing my niece. She's in Army boot camp and I just got her address. She can only receive letters, so I want to make sure I write her every week. We are really proud of her, I just hope her enthusiasm lasts and this turns out to be a great decision for her. :thumbsup2

I've been flossing every day, thanks to the COW! Always room for improvement, and the COW is a great reminder to just do things. ::yes::

Ok, one last work thing to take care of before I can go home...

Maria :upsidedow

Ugh I'm off track ladies and any gentlemen who might be lurking or joining that I don't know about. Sorry I've not been keeping up the past week or so. I know I gained on Friday. Its embarrassing. I know its because I slacked on my exercise that week. I spent the weekend with friends having a bbq and ended up with food poisoning so this week didn't get off to a good start either since I was afraid to do any exercise even Tuesday when I started recovering some. Monday I couldn't stand without feeling nauseous and the smell or sight of food made my stomach turn too. I didn't eat anything all day Monday. I had one Teddy Graham and that wasn't even gonna cut it. I bought soup and the smell of the noddles I helped my 7 year old prepare were making me sick so I had to have her finish stirring in the crummy flavor packet of salt and perspectives(I just could not stand the thought of trying to cook so she had one of my brothers soba noodle boxes).

Gonna get in a swim this afternoon. I got so much to get done around the house and I'm anxious to read more of the book I started last night. I will get back on track.

QOTD: If I had $10000 to donate I would donate the full amount to brain tumor research. That is a cause that is near and dear to us:goodvibes

Obvious choice for your family!:)

Morning all...vent first...I hate PMS bloat..I am up 2 lbs since last Friday, and I am irritated, and irritable all at the same time!

QOTD -If you were given $10,000 to spend in a CHARITABLE way, how would you spend it? All to one organization? Divided between many? What organization(s) would get it and why? Your choice, but you cannot keep the money for yourself.

I would split it between several - 25% each to our local nature center, because we love, love spending time there. They are donation driven, so $2500 would mean lots of good things for them, and everyone who visits.

25% to our local library system. Have loved to read since I was a kid, and fortunatley, DS enjoys it too. We typcially go to the library every other weekend, more during the summer since he has more time to read.

25% to our Local Ronald McDonald House. DH has been volunteering there once a month for about the last four years. I don't typically get to go becuase of work (his job is pretty flexible, so he can just go!) but i know that is something near and dear to his heart.

25% to our local Lab Rescue. Our puppy is the sweetest thing ever, and I would love to be able to help more doggies.
Dahly

You've got some great charities there... and how NEAT that your DH does so much volunteer work.

pjilla I made the gazpacho from a recipe from America's Test Kitchen 10 year cookbook. If I get a chance this weekend I will post it on the recipe site. I don't know the calorie count but it can't be too high. No oil and lots of veggies. This one is served cold. It is almost like drinking a salad.

Ds2 is coming home today. He will only be home for a week. He is going back early to help with Freshman Honors Orientation. His apartment is set up. His books came in the other day. I know we have to make a trip to Staples for notebooks and maybe the grocery store for some basics but it might just be easier to give him a gift card to the store and let him buy his own down there.

Have to go. Dh and I are going out to lunch. we are trying to treat ourselves since we didn't go away this summer.

HAve a great afternoon.

The soup sounds lovely.... do you need a food processor to make it?

Have a nice lunch out with DH... and enjoy your visit with DS.

Ugh I'm off track ladies and any gentlemen who might be lurking or joining that I don't know about. Sorry I've not been keeping up the past week or so. I know I gained on Friday. Its embarrassing. I know its because I slacked on my exercise that week. I spent the weekend with friends having a bbq and ended up with food poisoning so this week didn't get off to a good start either since I was afraid to do any exercise even Tuesday when I started recovering some. Monday I couldn't stand without feeling nauseous and the smell or sight of food made my stomach turn too. I didn't eat anything all day Monday. I had one Teddy Graham and that wasn't even gonna cut it. I bought soup and the smell of the noddles I helped my 7 year old prepare were making me sick so I had to have her finish stirring in the crummy flavor packet of salt and perspectives(I just could not stand the thought of trying to cook so she had one of my brothers soba noodle boxes).

Gonna get in a swim this afternoon. I got so much to get done around the house and I'm anxious to read more of the book I started last night. I will get back on track.

Ewwww... icky sounding stomach bug or something. NOT a good way to lose weight...:lmao: Hopefully you are well on your way to recovery. Take it easy in the pool.

Good afternoon friends!

Well, the playroom is cleaned but not yet vacuumed. DS did a decent job helping me and agreeing to get rid of some old games and junk... not enough, but good for now. I need to run the vacuum around and dust and it will be good enough for our Robotics meeting.

Then I will probably run the Swiffer and dust rag around the downstairs and then it will be time to get DD to the Y. No run for me today.... I haven't decided yet if I will do any workout or just run to the grocery store while she swims. I will have to hit the grocery store at some point in time today regardless, as the fridge is approaching BARE!

TTYL..................P

I'm back from lunch. WEnt to a place overlooking a marina. A great view. Had a tilapia sandwich and some onion rings(my splurge for the last coupleof days)

Ds was home when we got here. He was here about a half an hour. He and dh are going out to the movies tonight so I can pretty much skip or go very light on dinner. Probably gazpacho

pjilla No you do not need a food processor for this recipe.

QOTD: If you were given $10,000 to spend in a CHARITABLE way, how would you spend it? All to one organization? Divided between many? What organization(s) would get it and why? Your choice, but you cannot keep the money for yourself.

I would give some money to Boy Scouts since they have been so good to my family these last 20 years.

I would give some to Girl Scouts since I was a scout all through school

I would give some to Project Linus which gives blankets to kids in trouble. My neice did her Gold Award for them.

I would buy fabric for my friend to make pillowcases for ConKerr Cancer. she has been very involved with this group for the last couple of years.

I would give some to MS since my friend who makes pillowcases has this terrible disease.

I would give a good deal of it the the marching band at my ds's school. They are always being shortchanged.

Have a great afternoon eveyone.

Our brand new shiny thread is all ready for tomorrow. I see that I have some links to update and will do that later today. Sorry! :flower3: I think I get so excited about the results that I forget to update the links! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!