• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bermuda requiring paid authorization to get off ship at port

I called Disney about getting a port-to-airport transfer in NYC. I was told by the cast member that there will not be any transfers by Disney in NYC. I am on the Oct 10 cruise out of NYC and I had talked to them when I booked the cruise which was several months ago. I don't know if this applies to all Disney cruises out of or into NYC and I don't know if they changed their minds since I talked to them. So hopefully you will get an answer soon. Please post if you do. :thanks:
Finally got through to the ground transportation staff. The only port to airport transfers available for the Manhattan Cruise Port are private towncar transfers, $133 (plus gratuity), limited to no more than three passengers plus luggage. One can probably book this type transfer directly with one of the providers for ~$100, but booking through DCL has the advantage of an assured ride waiting for you as you debark. Onviously, a taxi or ride share would be much less expensive, but we had a bad experience getting a taxi from the port when we last did a WBTA in 2016. The taxi queue was so long, it took more than an hour before we had a ride.

Just received this email. I guess it settles if you have pay the $40 to get on the ship.

xxxxxxxx xxxx
Aug 15, 2022, 11:53 AM EDT
Can you get on the ship if you don't pay the $40 fee?
On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 10:34 AM Disney Cruise Line

Dear xxxxxxx xxx

Thank you for contacting Disney Cruise Line!

I would be happy to assist.

All Guests must have an electronic or paper copy of the Travel Authorization to show at embarkation.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further assistance with any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us.

We look forward to sailing with you.

Have a Magical Day!

Darlene
Email Communications Agent
Disney Cruise Line

*If applicable, please include your full name, reservation number, and phone number on all correspondence.

PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and should be confirmed just prior to your sailing.

wonder if this is going to be something the other countries start doing. Have 4 stops on the 11/7 Magic cruise. Worried about them requiring extra money and documentation as well.

Too bad our ship can't just give Bermuda a polite no thank you and divert to Castaway Cay instead.
This bugs me so much as well . . . and I am trying to understand why.

Obviously it's a blatant money grab by the Bermuda govt and their workers who will pretend to review the forms . . . It doesn't matter if anyone gets off the ship, they just want their "toll," which I doubt will be going for health care workers or Paxlovid doses for the needy either. Most ships are bigger than the Magic so figure approx. $80,000 per ship from the passengers, beyond the regular port fees that the cruise lines already pay.

Maybe because I've been to Bermuda many times and I've have had a very favorable opinion, I am doubly upset because I perceive this charge as a big F$#* Ewe to cruise passengers who . . . admittedly, don't stay in (expensive) Bermuda hotels or perhaps only do a tour in self-contained buses or taxis, for half-the-day and don't even buy a meal or grab a drink at Bermuda restaurants. They don't want us.

Even the way the Dockyards is set-up, it's basically a big shopping mall with a nice fort/museum. One has to make some effort, and take a bus or ferry or whatever to get out and see the island, which I've done . . . many times.
But Nov 2nd, may be my last time.

F$#* Bermuda.

Yup, I am travelling with a recovery certificate. Terrified to test again.

I am leaning to not testing and paying the $40 for the privilege to look at Bermuda from the ship.

My only issue is, we have been at sea for 5 days by now. Not getting off would basically mean 7 sea days in a row.

In the Facebook group for the WBTA are about 600 people, plenty of them are not happy and writing Disney to voice their discontent. Plenty also hope to skip Bermuda and go to Castaway insted.

I am leaning to not testing and paying the $40 for the privilege to look at Bermuda from the ship.

My only issue is, we have been at sea for 5 days by now. Not getting off would basically mean 7 sea days in a row.

In the Facebook group for the WBTA are about 600 people, plenty of them are not happy and writing Disney to voice their discontent. Plenty also hope to skip Bermuda and go to Castaway insted.
You'll almost certainly have an antigen test, which won't show a positive result unless you actually have the virus. Your recovery certificate doesn't matter. Those were put in place for PCR tests, which are much more sensitive and sometimes showed positive results for a few months after someone seemed to be done with Covid-19. Antigen tests don't work that way.

You'll almost certainly have an antigen test, which won't show a positive result unless you actually have the virus. Your recovery certificate doesn't matter. Those were put in place for PCR tests, which are much more sensitive and sometimes showed positive results for a few months after someone seemed to be done with Covid-19. Antigen tests don't work that way.
But is it worth the risk?
If I test positive 2 days before Bermuda, I can stay in my cabin for the rest of the trip and I need to fly from New York back to Europe.

Not to mention if I test positive in Dover, the entire trip is off.

If they change the stop, I would guess we would stop at the Azores. Castaway is WAY too out of the way to make a viable replacement.

But is it worth the risk?
If I test positive 2 days before Bermuda, I can stay in my cabin for the rest of the trip and I need to fly from New York back to Europe.

Not to mention if I test positive in Dover, the entire trip is off.
We're travelling on a letter as well, and I'm so frustrated that Bermuda isn't accepting them. But even though we weren't planning to get off the ship in Bermuda anyways, I think I'll bring some home tests with me *just in case* we decide to try to get off. At least we'll know if we're still popping positive or not and can make a more informed decision about going ahead with the DCL test before Bermuda.

A Travel Authorization is basically a mini-travel visa. It's just a head count tax to bring money into the country.

Some countries don't even care about the paperwork, just bring good hard American cash for your Travel Authorization.

In the case of Bermuda, hopefully the money goes to repairing damage from recent hurricane.

-Paul

If they change the stop, I would guess we would stop at the Azores. Castaway is WAY too out of the way to make a viable replacement.

Even if Castaway wasn't too far away from the WBTA routing (which it is), it's already a busy week there anyway with the Dream there on the Tuesday and Thursday, the Wish on the Wednesday and the Fantasy on the Friday

I got the email as well...
Just an FYI... My family just got off the Fantasy on Saturday and we all tested positive for Covid. HOPEFULLY this means we have immunity and won't get it again in October.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter