Beauty & The Beast show at DHS going bye bye

I wish people would stop fantasizing about Disney getting Marvel rights back from Universal. It simply isn't going to happen, and Disney is not going to make that fight. DC TooTall is spot on - the cost is too high, and they (Disney) are reaping the benefits of having Marvel in Florida without any up front costs. (Every piece of Marvel merchandise sold in IoA is money in Disney's pocket.) Profit with no expenditures - every business leaders dream!

They are going to focus the Marvel stuff on DLR - or more specifically DCA. Believe it or not, they like the idea of having stuff exclusive to California to drive International tourism there (and even more east-coasters to go out to DLR).

I wish people would stop fantasizing about Disney getting Marvel rights back from Universal. It simply isn't going to happen, and Disney is not going to make that fight. DC TooTall is spot on - the cost is too high, and they (Disney) are reaping the benefits of having Marvel in Florida without any up front costs. (Every piece of Marvel merchandise sold in IoA is money in Disney's pocket.) Profit with no expenditures - every business leaders dream!

They are going to focus the Marvel stuff on DLR - or more specifically DCA. Believe it or not, they like the idea of having stuff exclusive to California to drive International tourism there (and even more east-coasters to go out to DLR).

Can you explain this then?
http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/08/08/new-marvel-and-disney-character-bus-arrives-at-walt-disney-world/

It's been within the contract (or allowed subsequently) that Disney has been able to put Marvel promotional material on the transportation -- Avengers and Iron Man wraps on the MK monorail as previous examples. I think I read the monorail wraps aren't or can't be used on the Epcot line since those actually enter the park itself.

So far this is the best Marvel presence at WDW you can expect in the Florida parks.

The contract gives Universal "theme park" rights. Therefore Disney is allowed to promote and use the characters in the resort. But they cannot build an "attraction" or have them appear within the gates of the theme parks themselves.

This just adds to what PPs have said about it not being worth it to Disney. Universal holds the cards right now. Disney would have to pay for them to retheme the current Marvel land and pay to add Marvel to the four parks (whether it was a land, character meet n greets, a gift shop, and whatever). Then Disney has to recoupe the cost of adding Marvel to WDW and compete with a new land at Universal that they just paid for?

And people seriously think this is going to happen?

It is far more likely age will tarnish the land at Islands of Adventure, Universal will need the space for their own properties or better properties, and they will sell it back to Disney. But we are 10 to 20 years away from this at a minimum. Marvel Land has to lose its current value to Universal. Which is possible in the distant future. With Harry Potter, Simpsons, Depsicable Me, Transformers, the rumored Lord of the Rings, the rumored Smurfs, etc. It is possible another property will tempt Universal more. But Marvel would have to drop to the bottom in terms of lands that drive revenue and right now it is somewhere in the middle to high side.

Further, Disney is not going to invest in Marvel at WDW until after it sees how Marvel does in some of the other parks. Let's face it. If you can bring Marvel into DLR, why bother building in WDW first? Once DLR gets a Marvel themed land, if it blows up the turnstiles and merch flies of the shelves, then Disney will revisit it for WDW. If not, they have way too many other cheaper properties to keep them busy. They don't "need" Marvel in WDW yet. If it were to to become a staple at Disney Parks world wide that "need" might increase. But we just aren't there yet.

I do believe Disney will get Marvel into WDW at some point. It isn't on the horizon yet though. It is long term planning, part of the 50 year plan not the next 5 to 10.

what if Disney gave up one of theirs for marvel like the Muppets or Indiana Jones? just fishing

It seems more cost effective to replace these shows with ones that have shown success in California. What's wrong with having Aladdin and Mickey and the Magic Map in Florida?

what if Disney gave up one of theirs for marvel like the Muppets or Indiana Jones? just fishing

I doubt Disney would be wanting to pay the price.

True, Disney and Universal have made trades before to allow Disney to get back the rights to something they wanted..... Namely, The Al Michaels/Oswald the Lucky Rabbit trade. But that deal was ultimately beneficial for both parties.

Al Michaels was locked into a long-term contract with Disney (ABC/ESPN), but they had lost the NFL rights, so even with the sportscaster contract, the sport he was most associated with they didn't have the rights too. Universal (NBC) and Al were both interested in having Al Re-partner with his old broadcasting buddy John Madden in NBC's new Sunday Night Football package. So Disney had an asset they weren't doing anything with, and which Universal saw value in.

In return for releasing Al Michaels from his contract to allow him to join NBC, Universal gave back the rights to Oswald, and the original Disney Produced shorts, to the Walt Disney Company. Oswald was a property that Universal, in modern times, honestly didn't have much use for. Disney on the other hand had the idea for Epic Mickey which featured Oswald... on top of the simple desire to bring back one of Walt's original creations to the family.

It was a deal where both parties had something they weren't getting much value out of, but the other party wanted for something. It was a win-win.

Now with Marvel... Universal is getting a TON of value out of it currently. It would take something HUGE to make them interested in releasing the property. Most talk so far has been the idea of it being a straight monetary payout.... But lets look at the possibility of an IP Trade.

Right now, Marvel is HUGE!! Even though Universal simply has the theme park rights, the pop culture power of the property is enough that Universal is still able to see a gain on the theme park side. There honestly aren't a lot of franchises or properties right now which are large enough that the theme park license to the property would have nearly the same Value. (Theme park rights aren't going to generate the same amount of pure profit as a successful movie series or other potential income areas might.). To be perfectly honest, the 2 other properties I can think of off the top of my head with anywhere near the same type of broad demographic mass market appeal and the same level of current pop culture relevancy/power would be Harry Potter [Universal Already Has it], and Star Wars [Disney Just Bought it, and everybody seems to want Disney to use it to counter Harry Potter at Universal].

Indiana Jones? First off, Disney is already using it in their theme parks (Stunt show in Florida, Ride in California). Secondly, It's a franchise with a lot of potential, but currently it's not high on the global pop culture radar to have nearly the same themepark pull.

Muppets? Also being used by Disney in parks currently. And the Muppets have been on the decline since Henson's death, prior to the revival Jason Seagal started with his project a few years ago. It's still uncertain if the Muppets have rebounded enough and have the same staying power going forward.

Avatar? It's not proven yet if the property will have much staying power or relevency in the years to come. Some more sequels are coming out, but we don't know if they will be enough to give the franchise the staying power like Terminator or Star Wars, or if it will quickly fade into obscurity like the Matrix Franchise.

So for just the theme park rights? I doubt Disney would be willing to make a trade. the Marvel Park rights in the grand scheme aren't going to generate enough income if controlled internally for them to likely feel comfortable giving up something strong enough to entice Universal.

There might be a better chance if Disney was willing to give complete control of a franchise, including all movie, television, and secondary income streams, in exchange for the theme park rights for Marvel. Universal would then be giving up the pulling power into their park and would need to figure out how to replace the lost park revenue or draw [not easy, but also probably not extremely difficult if they had the motivation].... but they would gain a massive upside in some of their other business units to more than offset any loss to the Universal Parks/Resorts income. But would Disney honestly be willing to give up something with that level of potential upside to just be able to say they have the Marvel Themepark rights?

Too tall...

Disney owns both the muppets and Indiana jones free and clear...

I guess I just don't compute how a trade of owned material for other owned material would make sense on any level for either end of the deal

I loved Beauty and the Beast, the first three times I saw it. I don't need to see it again. I do like shows being part of what makes DHS unique, but my family has gotten tired of the same shows every trip. There are plenty of other Disney movies to be featured.

I don't need to repeat that DHS needs something fresh. On our last trip, my DH and DS, who are not thrill ride fans, went to DHS only for the morning. We rode TSMM twice, watched Muppets 3D (the kids have discovered the Muppets), and rode Star Tours twice. Even Indiana Jones lost its appeal after we'd seen it a few times. My daughters and I spent the afternoon at Mermaid, BatB, and Disney Jr, but none of us are dying to see them again. The highlight for us was finally being there for the Osborne lights. We're actually planning to skip DHS on our next WDW visit.

What would draw my family back to DHS is an expanded Star Wars area and new shows similar to BatB. I love old movies and would like something better than the disappointing Great Movie Ride, but I'm not sure if that's a big draw for the average tourist.

This just adds to what PPs have said about it not being worth it to Disney. Universal holds the cards right now. Disney would have to pay for them to retheme the current Marvel land and pay to add Marvel to the four parks (whether it was a land, character meet n greets, a gift shop, and whatever). Then Disney has to recoupe the cost of adding Marvel to WDW and compete with a new land at Universal that they just paid for?

And people seriously think this is going to happen?

It is far more likely age will tarnish the land at Islands of Adventure, Universal will need the space for their own properties or better properties, and they will sell it back to Disney. But we are 10 to 20 years away from this at a minimum. Marvel Land has to lose its current value to Universal. Which is possible in the distant future. With Harry Potter, Simpsons, Depsicable Me, Transformers, the rumored Lord of the Rings, the rumored Smurfs, etc. It is possible another property will tempt Universal more. But Marvel would have to drop to the bottom in terms of lands that drive revenue and right now it is somewhere in the middle to high side.

Further, Disney is not going to invest in Marvel at WDW until after it sees how Marvel does in some of the other parks. Let's face it. If you can bring Marvel into DLR, why bother building in WDW first? Once DLR gets a Marvel themed land, if it blows up the turnstiles and merch flies of the shelves, then Disney will revisit it for WDW. If not, they have way too many other cheaper properties to keep them busy. They don't "need" Marvel in WDW yet. If it were to to become a staple at Disney Parks world wide that "need" might increase. But we just aren't there yet.

I agree with most of your points. Of course if a DLR Marvel land blows up the turnstiles Universal will be able to demand a "blank check".

Didn't Disney buy Marvel a few months before Comcast bought NBC/Universal? That would have been the time to buy the theme park rights to Marvel. Maybe even try to buy the Universal theme parks.
I doubt Disney would be wanting to pay the price.

True, Disney and Universal have made trades before to allow Disney to get back the rights to something they wanted..... Namely, The Al Michaels/Oswald the Lucky Rabbit trade. But that deal was ultimately beneficial for both parties.

Al Michaels was locked into a long-term contract with Disney (ABC/ESPN), but they had lost the NFL rights, so even with the sportscaster contract, the sport he was most associated with they didn't have the rights too. Universal (NBC) and Al were both interested in having Al Re-partner with his old broadcasting buddy John Madden in NBC's new Sunday Night Football package. So Disney had an asset they weren't doing anything with, and which Universal saw value in.

ABC/ESPN didn't lose the NFL rights. Monday night football went from ABC to ESPN. The premiere night time package went from abc Monday night to NBC Sunday night. The Monday night crew, including Madden, production people....moved over to NBC. Al decided to stay with ABC/ESPN. At the last minute he changed his mind. It was almost done as a joke. Al was worth a rabbit.

I must say that I love the BATB show but I would like to see something new. Disneyland recently has changed one of its shows out there and I heard from some reliable sources that Disney World dediced they wanted to go with the changing of the shows and are going to put a show telling Rapunzels story. Personally I would like to see this.

The American Idol show doesn't seem to be getting that much buzz lately. The show hasn't seem to be doing so good that I feel because it hasn't on television people don't find the attraction worth it anymore. I have seen the show maybe a handle full of times and I just never could really get into it. I wouldn't be sad to see it go honestly.

DHS needs a complete rehaul as we all know. It's poorly planned out and underused attraction-wise. There is a lot of potential there with Star Wars, Pixar, etc. but in order to make sense and incorporate the Old Hollywood aspect it would almost require and entire park rehab. We talk alot about how EPCOT needs some love with upgrades/rides/countires, but honestly DHS needs it more. When we went last time with 2 little kids we saw the Muppets (twice), Star Tours, Met Woody and Buzz and Disney Jr. That was it. And to do that we needed to walk the entire park. It occured to me that when we went as a couple pre-kids we really only went for TT and RnR and Muppets (this was pre-star tours re-do) and that was pretty much it. It hasn't been more than a half day park at best, well, ever. It's also the only park to not have "lands" or distinct areas, rather a mishmosh of attractions that fit into where ever they had space at the time. My dream would be to completely re-do the park - keep Hollywood Blvd as 30's Hollywood Glamour, culminating with a re-vamped TGMR. Have a Pixar Place celebrating Pixar and computer animation. Star Wars, or more broadly, Sci-Fi Central featuring Star Wars (to keep with Hollywood theme and leave door open for Tron or some other sci-fi features. Can also keep Sci Fi drive-in) Consolidate the Animation Courtyard into an area with the Muppets, Disney Jr, One Man's Dream, behind the scenes/animation tours. I like the idea of an Adventure movie theme for Sunset Blvd section ( could keep RR and TT in the same place - add Indy ride/show) too.

None of those will probably ever happen but I can dream!

Too tall...

Disney owns both the muppets and Indiana jones free and clear...

I guess I just don't compute how a trade of owned material for other owned material would make sense on any level for either end of the deal

It doesn't. I'm fully aware of the ownership situation of Muppets and Indy, but I was just responded to the hypothetical "What if Disney traded for the marvel Theme Park rights".

Disney owns marvel... But because of the existing contracts, they don't control the theme park rights east of the missisippi (Own them... yes.... but they are essentially on a long-term lease which means they can't use the rights since someone else holds them).

So the question was, what if Disney gave Universal something, other than cash, to convince Universal to return those rights? My Answer...... Disney basically doesn't own a property with theme park rights nearly as valuable right now which they'd be willing to give to Universal in exchange for returning the Marvel rights..... and it's HIGHLY unlikely they'd be willing to completely hand over the rights for any properties which might have a total value equal to the marvel theme park rights to Universal.

Didn't Disney buy Marvel a few months before Comcast bought NBC/Universal? That would have been the time to buy the theme park rights to Marvel. Maybe even try to buy the Universal theme parks.

Doing a quick Google Search, Disney bought Marvel in August 2009 (surprised everyone). Comcast ANNOUNCED the NBC purchase in December 2009 (rumors had been swirling of talks happening for awhile prior to the announcement).

Considering the nature of the talks, I'm not sure if there were preliminary talks going on long enough Prior to the December announcement which might have prevented Disney from being able to purchase the theme park rights, if they wanted too.

Honestly... I don't even know if Disney had any reason to think it would be a serious issue before it was "too late".

The Universal Parks had pretty much been neglected for a few years prior to that general time frame. I doubt anyone thought that Universal wouldn't be willing to "take the money and run" with the Marvel property if Disney decided to make an offer. Even though Disney bought Marvel, it would've still taken some time for them to absorb the company and weigh their options. (look how long it took for them to reaquire the rights for the Marvel films, where there is actual money.)

The situation then started to change rapidly, and not so much in Disney's favor. First... a couple months after they announce and do the Marvel Deal, Comcast shocks everyone announcing they were purchasing a controlling stake in NBCUniversal.... which included some background deals to have GE's existing co-owner sell their 20% stake in NBC Universal. I'm betting the merger approvals and the pending transactions would've made it very difficult to perform a major transaction which would change the overall portfolio....such as giving up the Marvel rights.

6months Later.... Harry Potter Phase 1 opened. Suddenly the spotlight is back on the Universal parks and their fortunes look to be changing. There are still a lot of questions though on what Comcast's interest in the theme parks will be however...

7 months later (13 months after Comcast's puchase announcement)... Comcast completes their purchase and now have control of the parks. People still aren't entirely sure however how interested in the park side of the business Comcast is however... A short time later, Blackstone announces they are exercising their right of first refusal for the sale of their half of Universal Orlando resort. Suddenly there is a $1Bil test on Comcast's commitment to the Parks. It was one thing for Comcast to run with business as usual and just collect money from the parks. It was another for them to fork over $1bil in cash to buy the other 50% of the Orlando resort after just dropping the major money to buy controlling interest in NBCUniversal.

Next thing you know, Comcast not only decides to drop the extra $1bil to buy out Blackstone and get complete ownership of the Universal Orlando resort, but they start HEAVILY investing in the resort on a level probably not seen since the overhaul that morphed Universal from a Single park to the full Resort location with the addition of the 3 new hotels, Citywalk, and IOA park. I honestly don't think ANYBODY expected Comcast to be so aggressive in their support of the Theme Park business unit of their new acquisition. Especially when they first announced the merger and all the questions surrounded the cable, content, and network television side of the transactions.

ABC/ESPN didn't lose the NFL rights. Monday night football went from ABC to ESPN. The premiere night time package went from abc Monday night to NBC Sunday night. The Monday night crew, including Madden, production people....moved over to NBC. Al decided to stay with ABC/ESPN. At the last minute he changed his mind. It was almost done as a joke. Al was worth a rabbit.

Haha... Just goes to show how much I pay attention to Football. I really just can't get into the sport.
;)

DHS needs a complete rehaul as we all know. It's poorly planned out and underused attraction-wise. There is a lot of potential there with Star Wars, Pixar, etc. but in order to make sense and incorporate the Old Hollywood aspect it would almost require and entire park rehab. We talk alot about how EPCOT needs some love with upgrades/rides/countires, but honestly DHS needs it more. When we went last time with 2 little kids we saw the Muppets (twice), Star Tours, Met Woody and Buzz and Disney Jr. That was it. And to do that we needed to walk the entire park. It occured to me that when we went as a couple pre-kids we really only went for TT and RnR and Muppets (this was pre-star tours re-do) and that was pretty much it. It hasn't been more than a half day park at best, well, ever. It's also the only park to not have "lands" or distinct areas, rather a mishmosh of attractions that fit into where ever they had space at the time. My dream would be to completely re-do the park - keep Hollywood Blvd as 30's Hollywood Glamour, culminating with a re-vamped TGMR. Have a Pixar Place celebrating Pixar and computer animation. Star Wars, or more broadly, Sci-Fi Central featuring Star Wars (to keep with Hollywood theme and leave door open for Tron or some other sci-fi features. Can also keep Sci Fi drive-in) Consolidate the Animation Courtyard into an area with the Muppets, Disney Jr, One Man's Dream, behind the scenes/animation tours. I like the idea of an Adventure movie theme for Sunset Blvd section ( could keep RR and TT in the same place - add Indy ride/show) too.

None of those will probably ever happen but I can dream!

Most of those complaints stem from the initial design of the park. Disney-MGM was built, and pretty much designed as a Studio production facility with a small area for theme park guests in the front of the park. To give you an idea, Originally you had the Echo Lake area back to Star Tours, and Hollywood Blvd to the Chinese Theater, and the "gateway" to the behind the scenes tour in what is now the Animation Courtyard. The Backstage tour boarded behind the Animation building in the area they now have meet and greets. Sunset Blvd wasn't built yet. (where it now joins Hollywood Blvd was the original Hollywood Bowl theater location). Everything else was "backstage" and not open to guest traffic....with the small exception of the area immediately around the Studio Catering Company which acted as a midway stop between the tram part of the Backstage tour, and the walking part thru the special effects area and studios.

Because of the crowds, They started to open up the backstage areas. the commissary opened to guest and they opened the Sci-Fi Drive in. (I believe it USED to be behind the scenes since there was the Soundstage Restaurant for counterservice... I may be wrong though). They added the Muppet courtyard and some of the Streets of America to pedestrians. They started building Sunset Blvd with the Tower of Terror. They even opened up the path directly between the Animation Courtyard and the Studio Catering company in front of the production soundstages (although there wasn't anything for guests to do, it gave people a way out of the midway stopping point of the tour other than taking the walking tour.).

Over the years less and less production occurred at the Studio.... and the guest areas took over more and more of the space. The result is a completely crazy park layout that gets people confused and turned around to this day.

(You can still see what the areas were originally via the layout. Hub and spoke type design for the guest areas, Tradtional block layout for the backstage.)

I remember reading somewhere that there were whispers of BATB being replaced with Rapunzel? I like BATB but it has been running forever and I think Rapunzel would be a nice change. I just hope they replace the show with another rather than getting rid of a show altogether.

atwmommy said:
The Indiana Jones ride from DL would be awesome!

I looove Indiana Jones and hate dinosaur, but I'm still pretty sure they're the same ride, so I don't think that could happen

Two more adults here who adore BATB show and would be sad to see it go. We see it every time we go to DHS. I even have the music for it on my ipod. :sad1:

Another 2 adults enjoy BATB. Our bus driver said it's just another goofy rumor. :rotfl2:

I’m so glad to hear they are taking notice of DHS and have changes in the pipeline. It has the potential to be a really great park. DHS definitely needs some cohesiveness. I hope they take their time and put together a great vision for the future of DHS.

I’m so glad to hear they are taking notice of DHS and have changes in the pipeline. It has the potential to be a really great park. DHS definitely needs some cohesiveness. I hope they take their time and put together a great vision for the future of DHS.

You are totally right! All the rumors about HS shows that a lot of fans want a major refurb for the studios.

My opinion on this specific rumor :

1) Beauty and the Beast : love the movie, like the show but it does need to close to make way for a new show or ride.

2) American Idol : not a fan of the show, never saw the ride. No impact on me!

Pretty simple for Disney if they wanted Universal to really drop all the Marvel characters.

Change all the Major character's names and trademarks to have the word Disney, and have all the logos and trademarks contain Disney's logo.

Then force Universal to comply to the new trademarks, when they refuse, the contract is gone.

Disney's Marvel
Disney's Spiderman
Disney's Avengers
Disney's Iron Man

Once the contract is gone, change all the trade marks back to how they were previously.

Done, clean and simple.

I hope Beauty and the Beast is replaced with another stage show.

When the studios first opened it was amazing. The attractions were unique and the feel of a studio was fun. Changes have not been an improvement and nothing new has been a blockbuster. I don't even see why TSM is so popular. I still love the Movie ride but wish they would do something to Backstage. It has so many possibilities but is tired. Idol the show ruined itself with its determination to have a female singer win. They chose boring males in order to have that happen and fans left. It is a half day park at best and totally skipable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter