Beaches?

Thanks again for all the replies. Never thought about splitting time between WDW and Vero Beach - good idea. How far of a drive is it?

Someone asked... yes, there was a time when swimming was allowed in both Seven Seas Lagoon (Poly & GF) and Bay Lake (Contemp, WL & FW). I remember when they started having temporary bans on swimming and posted them at the beaches. It was seasonal for a while and the CM's had said they tested the water regularly and if season bacteria bounts were too high, they banned swimming. Eventually, swimming was eliminated at the lakes. They may have decided it was too much liability to test and ban repeatedly. The same thing happened at the (name?) lake at Caribbean Resort. I don't recall Crescent Lake (BW & BC/YC) ever permitting swimming - too much boat traffic perhaps?

Bay Lake is the only natural lake of all these. It is fed from an area away from the canal to Seven Seas Lagoon (which was created when MK was built above ground level, above the tunnel system). River Country's lake water circulates out to Bay Lake. I don't know what filtration system they use or not. I've read that they do have netting in place to limit creatures in River Country's water. The water slides empty into lake water and children play in it all day. Also, water skiing is offered on Bay Lake.

I don't think you are taking any risk by letting closely supervised children wade into Bay Lake (VWL beach) to get water for sand castles. And the beach at VWL is modest but nice, with plenty of lounge chairs and a few cabanas. It's not far from the boat marina for rentals and the main pool's bar/grill is only a bit further.

Another vote here for the beach at the Beach Club, though, for someone who just enjoys a water (not a pool) view while sunbathing. Among the DVC options, that beach is pleasant, barely used, and quietly overlooks all the lake activity, boats, BoardWalk, etc. OKW's sandy area is a well-used children's play area, poolside. So is BWV's. VWL has the beach, but Beach Club's is bigger and, I think, nicer. Hope that helps.

Latest posts

facebook twitter