• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beach Club Villas Renovations, some good, some disappointing

Agreed. And when it's GFV turn for a refurb I bet they keep the theming the same there. We know why and it won't be fair. Can't wait to see what happens for GFV first refurb. Maybe that will turn the tide back towards theming for refurbs at all the DVC resorts.

VGF will turn into a Hilton Garden Inn, an upgrade from the Hampton Inn located where BCV once stood.

I vaguely remember a huge letter writing campaign to get DVC to remove the clock from the room. It's just unimaginable they would put an alarm clock in a bedroom.

MG

I wonder how much of the changes in renovations are due to the changes in DVCMC management? Seems like we can track the other policy changes that occurred as the management changed.

:earsboy: Bill

Negative yes, we have a difference of opinion, I don't spend our money of a Disney vacation to stay in a chain hotel room. The room and resort is important to us, we spend more time there than in the parks. The theming, detail, and quality is what made Disney different. Now it seems that they just want to process the masses, collect their money, get them in and out.

This isn't just my opinion, it's the opinion of many long time Disney lovers and Disney employees.

I hear you Bill... But what you speak of is not exclusive to DVC. Corporations used to value a customer experience... And capitalism was based on the fact that the consumer dollar spoke to the quality of service provided. That's not really the case. Corporate CEO salaries used to be 20:1 to the average employee.... Now they hit 301:1 or more. It's about $ plain and simple and each passing day it gets worse. This is a corporate America issue.

As to the dissatisfaction to the rehab...of course there is a business element to it. But If rehabs come from dues reserves, how can anyone complain about rising dues costs... And then complain about rehabs? You can't play both sides of the fence.

Another common complaint is the care (or lack thereof) of the resorts by many guests. I know personally many dvc members who treat it as a hotel rather than a timeshare. They don't care. They leave it a mess....abuse the place. I'm sure on top of economic issue, durability is a factor. And while many complain of "plastic" floors... Composite materials hold up to abuse over the long haul far better than carpet. In my house I try to make people take off their shoes. Dirt on your shoes in the carpet is like sandpaper to the fibers. Carpet will wear out quick. That's why industrial carpet is so thin.... Less room for dirt to fit... But the effect is the same.

Many seem to hold Disney to a higher standard than other corporations. In the end, I don't see a difference in the theming of beach club resort. It's my favorite resort and while I don't own here.... From the first time I set foot on the property I felt like I was back with my grandparents on Cape Cod. I still feel that way the beach is my happy place.... And I feel like I'm at a beach resort.

The 1 bone I will throw everyone is the fan thing. That I don't understand. Just from an energy use perspective a fan makes it feel cooler without having to turn down the AC.

There's a lot of talk about cost savings but it all comes from members and is based on reserves. Nothing for Disney to gain by going cheap...

yep, no win situation for disney. if they put $6000 fridges in the BCV and raised annual dues, people would complain that disney is just trying to increase their management fee by overspending on the refurb...

yep, no win situation for disney. if they put $6000 fridges in the BCV and raised annual dues, people would complain that disney is just trying to increase their management fee by overspending on the refurb...
No there is a HUGE win according to Kat...
It would be only a fraction of one penny to refurb it properly. Certainly nothing for the member, yet would be a huge selling point for new buyers.

Now I understand there are few buyers purchasing the refurbed resorts, but don't we all know the numero uno selling point is word of mouth??? And that includes these boards.
A bad reputation can be achieved almost overnight.
To gain it back can take years.

MG

I vaguely remember a huge letter writing campaign to get DVC to remove the clock from the room. It's just unimaginable they would put an alarm clock in a bedroom.

MG

What, a letter writing campaign? I'm confused. Why? Call me old fashioned, but when I roll over at night I don't want to have to grab an iPhone, and press a button to get the time of night. I want a light up clock and go back to sleep. Why would they think that the majority of people like to grab their phones in the pitch dark to find out the time?

What, a letter writing campaign? I'm confused. Why? Call me old fashioned, but when I roll over at night I don't want to have to grab an iPhone, and press a button to get the time of night. I want a light up clock and go back to sleep. Why would they think that the majority of people like to grab their phones in the pitch dark to find out the time?
Sorry... I was being facetious. It was a joke to show how ridiculous it was to remove the clocks.

MG

You know, I might have to eat some crow here. I just was looking at some of the photos on Facebook of the refrub at BCV and for the life of me they seem different than the mock-up I was looking at about a year ago. They really do not look that bad. Could they have modified them? All I know is I was pleasantly surprised, still have a concern though with the new flooring, looks good but feedback says it is noisy and slippery??...smjj

No there is a HUGE win according to Kat...
It would be only a fraction of one penny to refurb it properly. Certainly nothing for the member, yet would be a huge selling point for new buyers.

Now I understand there are few buyers purchasing the refurbed resorts, but don't we all know the numero uno selling point is word of mouth??? And that includes these boards.
A bad reputation can be achieved almost overnight.
To gain it back can take years.

MG

As I post often, Disney has their reasons and their plan makes them money some how. Maybe they don't care about owners after the sale, maybe they want the new direct selling resorts/room to look better than the older resale resorts, maybe most direct buyers don't check the internet prior to buying and since they canceled the referral program, maybe word of mouth is non existent.

What I don't understand is why minimal refurbs until now and why the rush to do them all now? Is it just due to Potrock being in charge or is there another reason?

You know, I might have to eat some crow here. I just was looking at some of the photos on Facebook of the refrub at BCV and for the life of me they seem different than the mock-up I was looking at about a year ago. They really do not look that bad. Could they have modified them? All I know is I was pleasantly surprised, still have a concern though with the new flooring, looks good but feedback says it is noisy and slippery??...smjj

Mousekeeping hates the new floors. First they sweep them then for some reason, the steam them. The floors are already showing scratches

As I post often, Disney has their reasons and their plan makes them money some how. Maybe they don't care about owners after the sale, maybe they want the new direct selling resorts/room to look better than the older resale resorts, maybe most direct buyers don't check the internet prior to buying and since they canceled the referral program, maybe word of mouth is non existent.

What I don't understand is why minimal refurbs until now and why the rush to do them all now? Is it just due to Potrock being in charge or is there another reason?

Is it possible that they are palnning multiple cheaper generic refurbs in the same time they would have done one expensive more elaborate refurb? That might keep things looking newer for longer?

Is it possible that they are palnning multiple cheaper generic refurbs in the same time they would have done one expensive more elaborate refurb? That might keep things looking newer for longer?

Maybe but IMO they should consider the negative affect of taking so many rooms from different resorts out of service at the same time.

Do you have a link for pictures?

Do you have a link for pictures?

You can probably google for it, it was about 1 year ago and I can't remember. We were getting ready to stay at BCV and the refrub was suppose to start the same time we were there so there was a lot of stuff on it then. As you know it was delayed several times and I think has been ongoing now for only a few weeks after these many delays. The refrub of the BC was in full swing then. Here is the Facebook group that had the current photos taken 7/7/2016
DVC - Disney Vacation Club(hope it is OK to post this here)...smjj

Thanks for all the info! We just booked 3 studios for Feb for a family trip with the ILs. Assuming the refirbs will be done by then - the murphy bed will be a wonderful addition for my family (DS11 & DD8) so DH and I can have the bed and not spend the vacation each sharing with a kid!

So.. With the refurbs going on the laundry in DVC is not available... You can get a card from the front desk to use the beach club laundry... By the quiet pool closest to Epcot... Or the right corner when looking at the building from the bc quiet pool.

Since I had to go that way.... Has anyone noticed the refurbs they've done at the beach club resort itself? Same carpet as dvc unit. In one of the rooms I notices similar flooring as the DVC studio.

Could it be possible that the refurbs decisions are not made entirely by dvc management... But by Disney resorts as a whole?

I'm not being condescending at all to anyone... Just posing a philosophical question. It is possible we look too deeply I to all of this? Many have complained about things like a conspiracy against dvc... When it could be a Disney resorts in general and not a specific dvc thing?

Many here have been around longer than I and know more about certain aspects.... But that doesn't mean they are all correct. Sometimes the simplest explainations or reasons are the best. Options are like buttholes.... And everyone has one... But some you have to take with a grain of salt.

Could it be possible that the refurbs decisions are not made entirely by dvc management... But by Disney resorts as a whole?

Some, but it's primarily to save money. It's always cheaper per unit of anything when you buy a larger amount. Cheaper to do one order for twice the amount of the same carpet, for instance. And the same bathroom and shower tile, and same cheap photocopied pictures.

None of that covers the decision to remove amenities like jetted tubs and ceiling fans, the shutters, DVD players, alarm clocks, etc. The BC rooms still have ceiling fans, for instance. Also, the hotel rooms are generally refurbed every 5 years, so they'll likely look different 5 years from now, including the hallway carpet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter