Beach Club Villas Renovations, some good, some disappointing

I heard early on that they didn't put in alarm clocks in the new BCV rooms. Is this actually true, or did they end up adding them? I will bring my own if they haven't.

It has been confirmed that alarm clocks and DVD players are being removed from the DVC rooms.

:earsboy: Bill

I heard early on that they didn't put in alarm clocks in the new BCV rooms. Is this actually true, or did they end up adding them? I will bring my own if they haven't.

Bill is correct. There was no clock next to the bed nor was there a pen and paper pad next to the phone which annoyed me when I got a few messages and had no pen to write down the number. Never saw a DVD player below the new TVs. And the Disney Classic cartoons are anything but. And to another comment, the fold out couch mattress is pretty weak.

Stayed at BCV for a few days over the weekend to celebrate DS 21 birthday while he was working in Central Florida as an Intern. We were in a 1BR room 546 facing the woods.

The Pros

1. Huge new TVs on the walls, look between 55 & 60 inches.
2. New kitchen appliances - stainless steel
3. New safe with electronic keyboard - no more key to deal with.
4. A more modern look to the place.
5. Bathrooms all redone, very nice new shower with huge 4 foot tiles on the walls. Had no idea they came that big.

The Cons (at least to me)

1. They took away the ceiling fans!
2. They took away the jacuzzi tub. Now just a regular tub.
3. New flooring in the living room simulating dark wood grain but it felt very hard as if it were concrete.
4. Outside balcony was losing paint in a number of places overhead. Figured they would have painted that.
5. Working on 3rd, 4th and 5th floors at the same time. We had to walk to the other end of the building to get an elevator up to the 5th floor and then walk half way back.
6. Refrig I believe is smaller than the original one. Big gap between the top of the frig and the bottom of the cabinet above.
7. Definitely lost the beachy feeling.

Still it was clean and the cleaning service brought towels practically every day, 8 on one day for the three of us as well as chocolates on the bed at night. They also brought us chocolate covered strawberries when we checked in. Son loved them.

I tried to order a birthday cake through Disney. A six inch cake was $56. Yikes! Then called Garden Grocer. An 8 inch cake was $27 and when it arrived, it was personalized and beautifully decorated. Yeah I know still expensive but he only turns 21 once.

Your thoughts?
$56 for a six inch cake??....is their a packet of cocaine being smuggled in it??....thats outrageous

I also think Disney is going generic and loosing the theme of each resort. My thinking is they got a deal on all this generic crap so it can be used in more than one resort at a time. I saw a mock up of the BCV rooms about a year ago here on the DIS and the thread jest was as I just stated, new but hardly BCV anymore...smjj
I think this is the nail on the head here....as the DVC resorts have grown in number, it has lost its individual appeal of say maybe 10 years ago...things seem to be more standard across the board...thats not to say I still do not enjoy the themeing in each resort, because i do....One really only needs to look at what they did in the gurgling suitcase at OKW. They took all the spontaneous patches and pictures stapled to the wall over the years at the Original DVC, and turned it into another homogenized Disney-fied creation that really sucked the soul out of the place

There's a lot of talk about cost savings but it all comes from members and is based on reserves. Nothing for Disney to gain by going cheap and I'd think BCV reserves should have been some of the highest out there since they hadn't had anything done. Where BWV's and OKW's are coming from after having their refurbs a few years ago I have no idea, but if they could get two during the time BCV gets one then something is a little off.
I think there is something to gain for Disney.. There's no doubt it's easier to sell new product when you can show low annual mtc fees.

MG

I think there is something to gain for Disney.. There's no doubt it's easier to sell new product when you can show low annual mtc fees.

MG

I don't think that DVC has what is considered to be low annual dues, do they?

And with the number of points at each resort we're referencing pennies differences towards capital expenditures.

I don't think that DVC has what is considered to be low annual dues, do they?

And with the number of points at each resort we're referencing pennies differences towards capital expenditures.
Well, they're not low, but they're certainly lower than what they would be if they did everything high end.

MG

Well, they're not low, but they're certainly lower than what they would be if they did everything high end.

MG

As I mentioned, with the cost for a high end faucet vs a lower cost, or a ceiling fan etc spread out over the number of points for each of these units we're speaking of pennies - or probably a percent of a penny.

As I mentioned, with the cost for a high end faucet vs a lower cost, or a ceiling fan etc spread out over the number of points for each of these units we're speaking of pennies - or probably a percent of a penny.
If that's the case than why are they getting rid of alarm clocks and DVD players??

But I'm not just talking faucets and ceiling fans. I'm talking about the entire themed decor during the refurb, including high end appliances.

If all this together is a fraction of a penny, than I would suggest having words with DVC about severely downgrading the rooms just to save a fraction of a penny. That would be poor management.

MG

I have read all these many replies back and forth and many good points on these matters. Having said that I really do not care about that. All I am concerned about is I just do not understand why the themming now stops at the door to the room. Beach club villas are great and then you step in the new refrub'ed room and its like a different resort. VWL again different inside than the wonderful theme outside. I do not even think the new stuff is all that bad but it just does not go with the theme of the resort(s) anymore. I guess that is one of the pitfalls of having been a member so long now, I remember the way it use to be. New members just have nothing to compare to and that is a shame. Heck I am still upset they did away with the chicken fried steak they use to make and serve at OKW about the same time they started the DDP to make all meals pretty much the same bill of fare all over the resorts ...smjj

What a bunch of conspiracy theorist negative Nancy's. I personally like the rehab. Here now. In a studio. The only complaint is lack of drawer space.... But that's a trade off for the pull down bed... Which in my opinion is better for us. My kids get separate beds.... And anyone with 3 kids can now book a studio.

The new carpet in the hallways is definitely "beach themed"... The tile in the shower looks like sand on the beach". There are areas where there is still old carpet and the new is much better "themed" in my opinion. Some people just aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.

On a side note.... My only real complaint about ownership was when they switched to paper plates/plasticwear..... But I just call down and ask for some silverware. They bring it up.

When did they replace the service ware with plastic? Is this for the kitchen area?? We were there last June and all was still regular plates and silverware....smj

What a bunch of conspiracy theorist negative Nancy's. I personally like the rehab. Here now. In a studio. The only complaint is lack of drawer space.... But that's a trade off for the pull down bed... Which in my opinion is better for us. My kids get separate beds.... And anyone with 3 kids can now book a studio.

The new carpet in the hallways is definitely "beach themed"... The tile in the shower looks like sand on the beach". There are areas where there is still old carpet and the new is much better "themed" in my opinion. Some people just aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.

On a side note.... My only real complaint about ownership was when they switched to paper plates/plasticwear..... But I just call down and ask for some silverware. They bring it up.

Negative yes, we have a difference of opinion, I don't spend our money of a Disney vacation to stay in a chain hotel room. The room and resort is important to us, we spend more time there than in the parks. The theming, detail, and quality is what made Disney different. Now it seems that they just want to process the masses, collect their money, get them in and out.

This isn't just my opinion, it's the opinion of many long time Disney lovers and Disney employees.

Oh, that? New industry standards. :rolleyes: And probably lots of member requests.

Of course. Everything they do is "based on member feedback". We all know that. :upsidedow

Don't forget, removing member perks for resale buyers was a "very positive step", too.

Just remember, they "look forward to welcoming you home again soon."

We stayed at Boardwalk in March this year, refurbed, still had a ceiling fan.

Do not understand why they would ever be removed, totally saves on AC cost and would need to bring a fan from home if ever gone.

This was our 2nd time in a 2 bedroom refurbed, and my comment would be it's awkward to open the sofa bed in the living area, as the couch rolls forward being that it's on laminate when trying to open.

Negative yes, we have a difference of opinion, I don't spend our money of a Disney vacation to stay in a chain hotel room. The room and resort is important to us, we spend more time there than in the parks. The theming, detail, and quality is what made Disney different. Now it seems that they just want to process the masses, collect their money, get them in and out.

This isn't just my opinion, it's the opinion of many long time Disney lovers and Disney employees.

Agreed. And when it's GFV turn for a refurb I bet they keep the theming the same there. We know why and it won't be fair. Can't wait to see what happens for GFV first refurb. Maybe that will turn the tide back towards theming for refurbs at all the DVC resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter