Bad renters list

kcmyluv

Mouseketeer
Joined
May 27, 2003
Has anyone ever thought of starting list of renters that were bad? Maybe they didn't pay, so you had to cancel, they did something bad at the resort (does that affect us?). Won't it be neat if their was a list like that, kind of like what they have at stores that say, "don't take a check from these people." Just an idea.
 

realpatt

Mouseketeer
Joined
Jul 17, 2000
I avoid the payment issue by having them pay at the time I make the reservation. I have rented points 3 times through these boards and all 3 times the people just paid me up-front and then everything was taken care of. I should also note that these reservations were made at 11 months out. I rented points from someone else (because I rented out too many of my own) and just paid up-front.
 

kcmyluv

Mouseketeer
Joined
May 27, 2003
Sorry. I just keep having people cancel on me, and I am asking for a deposit, just tired of having them waste my time. Sorry again.
 

WebmasterDoc

Administrator
Administrator
Joined
Aug 14, 1998
Perhaps you should just wait to make the reservation until you receive the deposit. In this case, the people you are referring to are not renters - they are simply following the guidelines you have established for your rental. I'll bet they wouldn't be so quick to cancel if they were going to lose their deposit. Of course, they might not ask for the reservation either, but they wouldn't be wasting your time.

Just something to consider.
 

Dean

DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis
Joined
Aug 19, 1999
One of the two people I had welch out is a member on this BBS. Honestly, I prefer to deal with non members than members on the rare occasions I now rent. They are usually less demanding and far more appreciative. But in general, most people I've dealt with over the years have been very nice both members and non members alike. You can protect yourself if you make good choices and are clear about your expectations.
 

mmmcq

<img src="http://www.wdwinfo.com/images/platinum.j
Joined
Aug 3, 2002
I am in the process of renting a lot of points.....and I feel like I'm going against the grain by not offering long payment plans. But honestly I'm not a credit card company. If I put the reservation in their name I lose the use of the points and I want full payment. If it's not their cup of tea they can go elsewhere....and they have.

The folks that I've made reservations for and who have paid upfront are great, are grateful and "get it". So I agree with the "set the expectations" rule and don't worry if they don't want your terms. Find someone else. If you've been burned......ask for full payment by paypal. You have to absorb a small transaction fee, but you can transfer the payment into your bank account as soon as you get notification.

That's how it's done on ebay...you make a purchase...you have to make payment based on seller's rules. You don't want to follow them....then the seller moves on. It took me about 2 hours to get over the guilt of not accepting their terms........ :rolleyes:
 

drakethib

DIS Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2004
mmmcq said:
I am in the process of renting a lot of points.....and I feel like I'm going against the grain by not offering long payment plans. But honestly I'm not a credit card company. If I put the reservation in their name I lose the use of the points and I want full payment. If it's not their cup of tea they can go elsewhere....and they have.

The folks that I've made reservations for and who have paid upfront are great, are grateful and "get it". So I agree with the "set the expectations" rule and don't worry if they don't want your terms. Find someone else. If you've been burned......ask for full payment by paypal. You have to absorb a small transaction fee, but you can transfer the payment into your bank account as soon as you get notification.

That's how it's done on ebay...you make a purchase...you have to make payment based on seller's rules. You don't want to follow them....then the seller moves on. It took me about 2 hours to get over the guilt of not accepting their terms........ :rolleyes:


I never have rented to anyone but if I did it would be a "pay now" kind of deal.

Offering payment plans, while very nice, could seem like it could cause a lot of problems.

Personally I like the idea of transfering point more then renting. When its done its done.
 

Dean

DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis
Joined
Aug 19, 1999
drakethib said:
I never have rented to anyone but if I did it would be a "pay now" kind of deal.

Offering payment plans, while very nice, could seem like it could cause a lot of problems.

Personally I like the idea of transfering point more then renting. When its done its done.
There are ways to make all happy. If you only deal in current years points and rent in the first half of your use year, your risk is minimal if you ask for a reasonable deposit and payment at an appropriate time. When I do rent, I usually request 25% up front and the rest at 120 days out. I used to do 90 days out but I also occasionally rent non DVC (more than DVC now days) and the 4 months is much better in that situation. For transfers, banked or borrowed points, last minute and the like; I'd want payment in full up front. I like to reduce the renters risk as much as possible while making mine nearly nonexistent.
 

DVCconvert

DIS Veteran
Joined
Aug 3, 2004
I am in the process of renting a lot of points.....and I feel like I'm going against the grain by not offering long payment plans. But honestly I'm not a credit card company.

Having been a 'renter' todate, I agree this approach is reasonable! :)

I Do wish that the DIS offered some sort of 'thumbs up'/'thumbs down' rating....like the feed-back you see on ebay though. Even if it were only DIS members saying I rented to "X" and it went well, while not pointing out the rare rent deal that goes 'south'...those member/renters could simply say that had no comment on renter "X".
 

bongo59

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
we have rented out points and every time we do it we make them pay everything up front before the ressie is done..........and you wont have any problems...........because their money is at risk...........i always have the same group of folks come back to me for points.........they know i am reliable and most post here..............payment plans are just a way for those to back out to back out.............if you want to go pay to play.............the deal is too good on renting compared to paying Disney direct.
 

mmmcq

<img src="http://www.wdwinfo.com/images/platinum.j
Joined
Aug 3, 2002
Having made my terms clear yesterday it seems that I may actually be a wimp .....I backed down in two cases today for reservations in Sept and February. I hope I don't regret it. I allowed a 50% deposit and a 30% deposit for Sept with agreed upon payment dates right in the pay pal statement.

But it would be nice to have a rating system similar to the one they use on ebay where for every transaction there is feedback. Most folks keep it civil when there is a problem.

Maybe someday.
 

siouxi31

DIS Veteran
Joined
Aug 30, 2000
Speaking as someone who would like to rent points, I would be pleased as punch to agree to pay upfront.
The thought of renting points was scary though and a list of good renters/rentees would be more reassuring.
 

WebmasterDoc

Administrator
Administrator
Joined
Aug 14, 1998
mmmcq said:
...
But it would be nice to have a rating system similar to the one they use on ebay where for every transaction there is feedback. Most folks keep it civil when there is a problem.
Maybe someday.

A few years ago, the DIS proposed going to an eBay-type system for the Rent/Trade and the negative feedback and threats were overwhelming. I can't recall any comments in favor of the idea at that time.

Unlike eBay, since the DIS receives nothing from those who use the Rent/Trade Board (few are even site-sponsors) there is little incentive to provide any additional resources - like a feedback system.

I can count the number of negative reports about Rent/Trade transactions on two fingers since it's inception - hardly strong enough reason to devote other resources at this time.
 

zurgswife

WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is bett
Joined
Jan 9, 2000
I'm glad that not all renting points stick hard and fast to a payment first rule. I needed points on short notice and there really wasn't much availablity left. The DVC member renting the points booked the ressie and waited on my money. I would have liked to do a transfer but because I didn't have the flexiblity of time the person made the ressie themselves.

I do understand that it makes sense to get the payment up front, I'm just glad that some people renting can be flexible.
 

DVCconvert

DIS Veteran
Joined
Aug 3, 2004
A few years ago, the DIS proposed going to an eBay-type system for the Rent/Trade and the negative feedback and threats were overwhelming. I can't recall any comments in favor of the idea at that time.

Doc,
a) I hope it's "ok" even to be 'talking' about such things, as I'm worried it violates a board policy about not talking about board policies.
b) you've been around long enough to have no doubt seen the ebb and flow of prevailing opionion. I wonder how that same suggestion would be seen today?



Zurgswife,
I hear you, and agree, that no 'hard and fast' rules can always be applied! :)
 

WebmasterDoc

Administrator
Administrator
Joined
Aug 14, 1998
zurgswife said:
I'm glad that not all renting points stick hard and fast to a payment first rule. I needed points on short notice and there really wasn't much availablity left. The DVC member renting the points booked the ressie and waited on my money. I would have liked to do a transfer but because I didn't have the flexiblity of time the person made the ressie themselves.

I do understand that it makes sense to get the payment up front, I'm just glad that some people renting can be flexible.

I certainly can't speak to the specifics in this case, but I might expect that renting to someone like zurgswife would reassure the member about the stability of the transaction and make allowance for greater flexibility in the rental policy. Because of the DIS, post counts and the ability to research posts by usernames - members (and renters) do have access to a lot of information about potential transactions. I would think that renting to , or from, a known personality from the DIS might be as good or better than a rating system.
 

CharlesTD

Lovin the Mouse since 96
Joined
Mar 16, 2005
We require 50% up front then the rest 4 months before travel if booked that far in advance.
 

WebmasterDoc

Administrator
Administrator
Joined
Aug 14, 1998
DVCconvert said:
Doc,
a) I hope it's "ok" even to be 'talking' about such things, as I'm worried it violates a board policy about not talking about board policies.
b) you've been around long enough to have no doubt seen the ebb and flow of prevailing opionion. I wonder how that same suggestion would be seen today?

It's fine to discuss this - it's not a board policy.

Judging from how few site sponsors participate on the Rent/Trade, I wouldn't expect any different response today. It's not likely to be offered again anyway.
 

k_k_100

Mouseketeer
Joined
Oct 4, 2003
I guess I have been very lucky & found some great owners. I appreciate the flexibility they have offered. The first transaction I paid all up-front. I was taking over a cancelled reservation in June for a trip Dec. 1. This year I found a new owner who was willing to make my reservation at the 11 mo. mark. (I was more organized this year) I paid $100 up front – then $100/month till it’s paid off (end of June!) The renter will still be paid in full 4 months prior to the reservation. I pay via. PayPal & pay the PayPal cost for using a credit card. It was SO much easier paying $100 a month – it just REALLY helped me budget.

My Mom rented from the same owner this year (that we used last) and he accepted the $100/mo. terms from her. Since I’ve rented in the past I guess our “credit” was good.

:goodvibes I am truly grateful for 2 great DVC owners. :goodvibes I would LOVE to own – but it just isn’t right for now. For now I’ll be a happy renter. :cool1:

It really is a win/win situation for everybody when it runs smoothly.
 










DVC RENTALS: Rent, Book & Save!

The DVC Rental Store is the largest and fastest-growing service for DVC Rentals in the United States.

CLICK HERE




Top