Back to the West 2014

When did Peter Pan get a FP? Very nice!

It didn't. The fastpasses we used that night were the ones they gave us in guest relations for all the trouble the night before upgrading to APs. The only thing better than having a FP is having a FP on a ride that doesn't offer FP! Matterhorn doesn't have FP either, and our second one was there. :)

Fun! Those fries look yummy. You are making me miss paper FP ;)

Heck, I'm making ME miss paper FP! :cool1::rotfl2:

The park was really packed that night, so it was great to have some fastpasses to help things along. We got SO much done on that day. And with Candlelight Processional scheduled that night (it only happens 2 nights each year at DL) the park was crazy busy.

The decorations in NOS are so pretty!

So great that you got to do so much on a busy night.

THOSE BATHROOMS! Around where in Fantasyland is that? I need to see those!

That last castle shot is gorgeous!

seeing that food is making me soooo hungry right now. If we ever get there we will have to do a lunch for gumbo and fries. Better check the menu to see if Claire will eat anything besides fries there. LOL.

No FP for Peter Pan at DLR.

........ unless they mess up your AP upgrade! :cool1:

The decorations in NOS are so pretty!

So great that you got to do so much on a busy night.

THOSE BATHROOMS! Around where in Fantasyland is that? I need to see those!

That last castle shot is gorgeous!

Those are back deep in Fantasyland past Alice on the way to the Matterhorn. Aren't they awesome! Who knew the bathrooms were such an attraction!

seeing that food is making me soooo hungry right now. If we ever get there we will have to do a lunch for gumbo and fries. Better check the menu to see if Claire will eat anything besides fries there. LOL.

Well YOU are the one who made me get those fries! Gumbo and fries were the perfect dinner. And if Claire can't find anything, stop at a hotdog cart when you're done! :P

Which begs the question....... are you planning on getting there or something? :joker:

Oh, so you got a "magic FP+" Sounds like you got a lot of bonuses for your trouble. When they messed up at WDW all I got was 2 anytime FP's. :crazy2:

DLR showed me the customer service that WDW used to offer. They left me wishing they'd mess up again for us every day. :)

Honestly, I think they just have too many fires to put out at WDW these days to give this same level of guest recovery.

I definitely felt very well taken care of.

I suspect an f/1.4 lens is required for Peter Pan!

I'm really wanting to go back to DLR with Christmas decorations up. I seem to be visiting Disney when the Halloween decorations are up lately and it would be nice to see Christmas for a change.

I suspect an f/1.4 lens is required for Peter Pan!

I'm really wanting to go back to DLR with Christmas decorations up. I seem to be visiting Disney when the Halloween decorations are up lately and it would be nice to see Christmas for a change.

I was using a 1.4 lens for PP. That's the sad part! LOL. I went aperture priority at 1.4 and set the ISO to 12800 and was getting shutter speeds of 1/13 and 1/20. That was early in the trip though and I was still getting used to the camera. Next time I'll set auto ISO or just go with 25,600 and see what happens. Even then my shutter speeds are going to be crazy slow.

I'm sure I'll like Halloweentime, but I'm afraid I'm really going to miss all the decorations. At least if we stick with October, the castle will have the diamond decorations so I won't be subjected to a completely naked castle!

A very nice update from your trip. I always enjoy going in NOS to see the decorations. The decorations at NOS has changed over the years and it can be sad to see something replaced with something new. Almost every year, NOS changes some type of decorations. If you pay attention closely, you can tell what has changed and the same. You can ask @Sherry E about that which she has a great memory of what has changed.

The f/1.4 lens is a must for any dark rides especially with PP. I will have to try the f/1.4 one day which I have enjoyed using the f/1.8.

Janet --

I think you'll enjoy Halloween Time, but as the main person who has been championing Halloween Time visits to people on this forum for the last several years, I am being honest in saying that it is nowhere close to being on the same level as the holiday season, in terms of immersion and all-around decor. Halloween Time is fun in its own way, but I am always a bit surprised that Disney manages to stretch it out for 6 or 7 weeks when the offerings are on the 'thin' side.

I think it all comes down to perception, and which holiday one prefers more. If you are more of a Halloween person, then what Disneyland has to offer will be delightful. You won't notice what's there or not there. If you are more of a Holiday season person -- now that you have experienced DLR for the holidays for 2 years in a row -- you might notice all of the spots around DLR that are not decorated for Halloween as they would be for the holidays. The contrast becomes more striking.

I remember reading someone's review on Yelp that said that "all of the rides" at DL get Halloween makeovers... which is unequivocally untrue. TWO rides get Halloween overlays -- and one of those rides shares its overlay with the Holidays, as we know! But, in this Yelp person's mind, his perception was apparently that there was so much Halloween fun to be had that "all of the rides" had Halloween overlays! It's a nice, optimistic way to view Halloween Time at DLR, but it's just not true!

As Bret said, there always seem to be small (and sometimes large) changes to the holiday décor every year. With each new Halloween Time and new holiday season I am anxious -- and a bit afraid -- to see what has been added, gone missing or been moved or changed in some way. Even the Winter Castle has looked different over the last couple of years than it did in the past.

About watermarking -- it's certainly not a bad idea for your stunning photos, but I will say that Internet thieves will steal photos and claim them as their own even if the photos are not of the caliber and quality of yours! It has happened to me. Someone stole photos of mine (not Disneyland photos), put their OWN watermark on them -- :lmao: -- and posted them on other sites. And these photos were taken with ancient, crummy cameras back in the '80s. People think that they own whatever they see on the Internet because it's on the Internet, and have no idea or concern that they are incorrect.

The other day I was rounding up some photos that I was using in... a project... (more on that soon, hopefully) and I batch processed them to save myself some time in resizing. While I was using the feature I almost, almost slapped a tiny watermark on them and then changed my mind. If I make it too tiny and put it in the bottom right or left corner, someone could just crop it out anyway. And if I put a giant watermark in the center of the photos, it would not be good for "the project." So I was stumped and then gave up on the idea.

By the way -- off-topic, but I wonder if PrincessInOz realizes that I mentioned her in the Catalina Island-related podcast I did last month (with the DIS Unplugged folks)??

Enjoying it! Sorry you had trouble, but it looks like they really helped you out! I doubt I'll ever ride Peter Pan in the evening, because I'm not willing to wait in that crazy line!

I was using a 1.4 lens for PP. That's the sad part! LOL. I went aperture priority at 1.4 and set the ISO to 12800 and was getting shutter speeds of 1/13 and 1/20. That was early in the trip though and I was still getting used to the camera. Next time I'll set auto ISO or just go with 25,600 and see what happens. Even then my shutter speeds are going to be crazy slow.

I'm sure I'll like Halloweentime, but I'm afraid I'm really going to miss all the decorations. At least if we stick with October, the castle will have the diamond decorations so I won't be subjected to a completely naked castle!

Wow! I didn't realise you had a 1.4 in that ride. I have no hope then.

Out of curiosity, which 1.4 is it? I've been $$$$alivating over the Canon one.

Wow! I didn't realise you had a 1.4 in that ride. I have no hope then.

Out of curiosity, which 1.4 is it? I've been $$$$alivating over the Canon one.

It's the Sigma 35mm ART lens. It's really a great lens. All I can do at this point is try a higher ISO. Or a flash.

KIDDING! :rotfl2:

By the way -- off-topic, but I wonder if PrincessInOz realizes that I mentioned her in the Catalina Island-related podcast I did last month (with the DIS Unplugged folks)??

You did?

I didn't know! Thanks for the mention. I need to go find that podcast then.....:)

Joining late but I am loving your camera and TR. My dh, ds and I where there the weekend of the processional, and looking at your pics probably a section over in the WOC show! Boy was it a mad house but I was happy to finally see all the great Christmas decoration.

Found your newest TR today and caught myself up. Loving it so far! You really got some nice shots of the Christmas Parade!

Hey Janet! Haunted Mansion had FP?? I don't think they offered it in 2013. It was the one ride we never got on because of the line.

Glad you get to stop at WDW. Have you done your FP+ yet?

And I didn't know about the playing card bathroom either! Might have to check it out in August.

Lovely photos as always!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter