Avoiding the $10 cancellation charge

LydiaRodarte-Quayle

Earning My Ears
I read in the terms and conditions of one of my dining confirmations that modifications to ADRs can be made 20 minutes in advance.

Does this mean I can modify the date an hour or so in advance, change the date to say 2 days away and then cancel to avoid the $10 charge?

I read in the terms and conditions of one of my dining confirmations that modifications to ADRs can be made 20 minutes in advance.

Does this mean I can modify the date an hour or so in advance, change the date to say 2 days away and then cancel to avoid the $10 charge?

Which ADR?

Another question. If you are seated at a table service restaurant do you have to use up a point? There are four of us but we don't have huge appetites. We'd love to be able to sometimes share hence using 2 points amongst us. It's that allowed? We'd waste food otherwise.

Another question. If you are seated at a table service restaurant do you have to use up a point? There are four of us but we don't have huge appetites. We'd love to be able to sometimes share hence using 2 points amongst us. It's that allowed? We'd waste food otherwise.
Anywhere that is not a buffet/ show/ aycte/ prix fixe meal you can order 2 entrees to split among 4 people.

All of the ADR's I've booked state "reservation must be cancelled at least one day prior" and they all say that in two places. I've never seen one that says 20 minutes, and none of them say anything about modification, only cancellation.

That's not to say there wasn't an error or glitch somewhere, so if you do have one that says that I'd find the confirmation e-mail for it if you plan to try changing it same-day to avoid the fee. Like anything else at Disney it's a YMMV situation, subject to CM discretion, and there's no guarantee.

For what it is worth, I've never had to pay the fee when I have moved the ADR to a new day and then cancelled. I've done it twice that I can recall.

Were you able to move it on the same day (after the midnight cancellation deadline)? Did you have to call or did the app let you move it?

Asking only because I had a disaster of a time with an ADR once (cruise ship was late getting in/ clearing customs, so we were not going to make our early dinner reservation) and the app said I had to call. I called and they could only move it to another time on that day (when there were NO more times on that day), called back and got the same answer. No more arrival day ADR's for me after that! I kept hoping they'd change it but maybe they already have.

Anywhere that is not a buffet/ show/ aycte/ prix fixe meal you can order 2 entrees to split among 4 people.

All of the ADR's I've booked state "reservation must be cancelled at least one day prior" and they all say that in two places. I've never seen one that says 20 minutes, and none of them say anything about modification, only cancellation.

That's not to say there wasn't an error or glitch somewhere, so if you do have one that says that I'd find the confirmation e-mail for it if you plan to try changing it same-day to avoid the fee. Like anything else at Disney it's a YMMV situation, subject to CM discretion, and there's no guarantee.
Thank you.
This is very helpful

Were you able to move it on the same day (after the midnight cancellation deadline)? Did you have to call or did the app let you move it?

Asking only because I had a disaster of a time with an ADR once (cruise ship was late getting in/ clearing customs, so we were not going to make our early dinner reservation) and the app said I had to call. I called and they could only move it to another time on that day (when there were NO more times on that day), called back and got the same answer. No more arrival day ADR's for me after that! I kept hoping they'd change it but maybe they already have.
That has happened to us only once, (learned the lesson!), I called and they cancelled for me and waived the fee...
We had a Chef Mickey's 3 pm ADR, this past visit (last week) and we KNEW that DGS was toast and was not going to be able to do it. (Late night before, too much stimulation, take your pick) and life would not be worth living if we attempted it. It was a non park day and we were staying at CR. I modified at 9 am to the next day for a better time. Later that afternoon we decided NOT to leave the park and I cancelled that next day ADR entirely. My intent was not to game the system, however, it did work in our favor. I believe that you could probably do that with any of the ones that can be modified, although I've noticed that now even 24 hours in advance you have to call. I hate using the phone system, it just takes so long and is such a pain! I much prefer using online technology.

I don't know. You used to be able to do so,but I have no idea how it works now. The concierge moved one for us and then canceled it when we ate way too much lunch on a screaming hot day, and then needed a nap to recover. The thought of dinner was way more than I coudl handle.

I don't know. You used to be able to do so,but I have no idea how it works now. The concierge moved one for us and then canceled it when we ate way too much lunch on a screaming hot day, and then needed a nap to recover. The thought of dinner was way more than I coudl handle.
LOL!
This is exactly what I'm worried about.. Being too full or too tired.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!