Also...on a lighter note... We've all heard that the destruction of "beastly kingdom" was the scorned imagineers to universal... But I think that is a little more urban legend than truth in some ways.

That area was scrapped for budget and no other reason. The damn park cost too much... And chief accountants Eisner had to pull the plug.

I'm thinking and my interpretation of the story is a combination of the 2. Beastly Kingdom got cut for budget reasons..... and with the project cut because of budget, the imagineers working on that project became unneeded weight who were also cut to save even more $$$

Those imagineers then got hired by Universal, and even if they didn't intentionally scuttle Beastly Kingdom by directly porting the ideas, Because they were so heavily involved in that BK project and now were working on the Lost Continent which dealt with a similar premise of legends and myths you ended up with a lot of overlap in the design, feel, and look of the 2 projects.

It's only logical that if you've been researching and designing ideas on a subject for awhile, that those core ideas and research are going to flavor 2 different projects worked on by the same people.

You know, Australia has name recognition, cool animals, the possibility of an interesting themed ride...and seems to fit better with Africa and Asia as themed "lands".

But it doesn't fit the missing "originally intended" piece of the AK park.... The 'mythical beasts'. There is a reason a Dragon is on the official logo for the park, and one of the parking lot sections is called "Unicorn".

Space Mountain= no movie
Pirates of the Caribbean= spawned a movie based on the ride
Splash Mountain= an obscure cartoon
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad= no movie
Expedition Everest= no Movie
Kilimanjaro Safari= no movie
Haunted Mansion= spawned a movie based on the ride (a very bad movie too)
Soarin=no movie
Rockin Roller Coaster= no movie

You forgot the Country bears disaster. I wish they wouldn't mess with those rides and not make them movies. They don't need movies to advertise them or to promote their parks. Those posters that they had under Disney Railroad were fine and they have plenty of commericals online and T.V.
I have no problem with making rides out of movies, but I prefer making rides not based on movies. The rides without movies are better or without being based on movies are better in my opinion.

The point he was making is that the days of Disney creating new and unique IP for an attraction are over. Everything they are designing today has to have some sort of tie in with an existing property in order to increase it's ability to generate revenue thru merchandise sales. The majority of the attractions you listed were designed before Eisner started his push for synergy within the parks. The ones not predating Eisner are the exception and not the rule, and often have another reason or design aspect that gets them out from that requirement....

Expedition Everest= I'm going to say this one's ability to avoid the tie-in is a combination of Animal Kingdoms need for a major E-Ticket, The location within the park being already themed for Asia, and the lack of a good well known property which it could be tied in around. That being said... It's another monument to Rodhe's addiction to 'artistry', realism, and 'attention to detail' at the expense of keeping a budget intact. You could also make an arguement that it's a modern version of Disneyland's Matterhorn....complete with a Yeti encounter.

Kilimanjaro Safari= True, But it's also an Animal Safari. Not much room to theme it around a Disney Property, and it's actually lost a lot of the story it once had. It could also be said that when AK first opened they had a very minimal presence of existing Disney Properties as they were very focused on the edutainment and 'realism' within the park. [it was the drive for synergy and hopefully improving the park's draw that helped force the retheme of Countdown to Extinction to "Dinosaur"]

Soarin= Direct Clone of a California Adventure attraction which was designed to showcase the many different environments and "adventures" available within the state of California. Honestly, You could almost say that 'Soarin' is designed to be synergistic with the California Adventure park as a whole in that it's taking you on a California Adventure. (The attraction's name in California was/is 'Soarin' over California'. The film is the same in Florida and California)

Rockin Roller Coaster= No movie.... true... But it has Aerosmith as it's tie-in/draw. The synergy or existing property requirement isn't limited to a Movie. Just like the Kim Possible Adventures and now the Agent P stuff in the World Showcase are based on TV Shows, Disney can base their new attractions on any existing property and tie that in for merchandise or marketting purposes. It's that completely virgin ideas for attractions that they have an issue with these days.

Seems like a lot of people are upset on this new land. I'm actually curious about it, I myself don't care for the movie either but I think Disney will put a very impressive "Disney magic" into these attractions in this new land, that will make it appeal to us after all. But that's just my opinion. I haven't been disappointed in much of any of Disney's work, so I'm confident this land is going to be better then what some of you are expecting. I do agree there are some other safer, maybe even better and bigger routes Disney could have gone but hey, we're getting something new to experience. :)

Maybe I'm more passive and curious because I first heard this land was coming back on my 2011 trip! Seems so long ago. But anyways so this wasn't any "new" news to me when it broke out on the boards, this has been in the makes since way before any of us even had a clue. I was told in 2011 that once the final avatar film was done or close to done, so wouldn't the new land in AK. I was also told about the rides (which I know that may be totally off) but who knows maybe that source was good since its now official almost three years later. Anyways I'm curious, not against it, something new to experience folks, it's coming so why not embrace it right :)

Soarin= Direct Clone of a California Adventure attraction which was designed to showcase the many different environments and "adventures" available within the state of California. Honestly, You could almost say that 'Soarin' is designed to be synergistic with the California Adventure park as a whole in that it's taking you on a California Adventure. (The attraction's name in California was/is 'Soarin' over California'. The film is the same in Florida and California)

Don't you want your attractions to be "synergistic", you want attractions to fit together, and make sense in your lands, and parks. I think there are equal groups saying they want Disney to build attractions that aren't based on movies, as there are people who say Disney should leverage the IP they already own, and build more attractions based on that.

I could care less right now what they do, I just want them to build attractions.

I could care less right now what they do, I just want them to build attractions.

To me, Soarin is a big travelog. I wasn't terribly impressed. Now it is a big travelog in a really cool theater with cool seats, but I am hoping they will come up with a new more exciting film. It would be a lot better if it was based on a movie.

;):lmao:And I am only half kidding.

That makes no sense... Lone Ranger so old it is new? I can't believe Disney would ever say NO they will NEVER use a new property idea... I think Disney is open to whatever they think will make them money... old or new.

What I said wasn't entirely correct.

Disney is going to concentrate on franchises and take less risks on original concepts. Lone Ranger hadn't been done in a while so they didn't consider that a franchise or proven property.

Disney is going to concentrate on franchises and take less risks on original concepts.

Avatar is barely a franchise... it's one movie (granted, with more in the works, but it's not uncommon for studios to scrap a movie before it gets off the ground) that was popular when it first came out, but that no one talks about anymore... The main reason it was the biggest box office hit of all time was because 3D was still new and exciting and they charged twice the ticket price for the 3D showings.

Avatar is barely a franchise... it's one movie (granted, with more in the works, but it's not uncommon for studios to scrap a movie before it gets off the ground) that was popular when it first came out, but that no one talks about anymore... The main reason it was the biggest box office hit of all time was because 3D was still new and exciting and they charged twice the ticket price for the 3D showings.

You are 110% correct in your points...

Let the ultimately incorrect counterarguments commence

you guys done with this argument yet lol

I know I am in the minority, but I am holding out hope for some cool rides in Avatarland and am looking forward to what they come up with. I thought the movie was just average, but I think visually it was stunning and that could make for a pretty "land" to check out at AK. I will be disappointed if there isn't SOME thrill ride out of this...

I know I am in the minority, but I am holding out hope for some cool rides in Avatarland and am looking forward to what they come up with. I thought the movie was just average, but I think visually it was stunning and that could make for a pretty "land" to check out at AK. I will be disappointed if there isn't SOME thrill ride out of this...

thats just it...i dont think you re in the minority...i think there is certainly a group that hate the idea but they are smaller than you think...protesters are always the loudest

You are 110% correct in your points...

Let the ultimately incorrect counterarguments commence

:rotfl:

My biggest counter-argument/disagreement with their comments was in the line "3D was still new and exciting....."

At the time Avatar came out, 3D had been out (on this round) for a little while already and was already starting to be seen as a overpriced gimmick by many many people. 3D had also come and gone in the theaters numerous times before and never really got beyond just a cheap fad (anybody remember Jaws 3D? Friday the 13th 3d? etc).

What Avatar did was change everyone's impression of what 3D could do. Prior to this movie, the large majority of 3D films used the 3D effects for the cheap "Look! I'm floating over the audience" kind of tricks. The same type of effects used for YEARS at the Disney Parks with films like Magic Journeys, Captain EO, Honey I shrunk the Audience, and Muppet 4D. What Avatar ended up doing was using the 3D not to give us the impression of things flying over our heads or right at us, But to give the world within the movie a depth that we hadn't really seen before like that.

It was that depth, combined with the really beautiful environment which Cameron created, That truly made the movie stand out and made people think they had to see the movie in the theaters. Those floating islands just didn't have the same impact in 2D.

so yes... Avatar can credit the higher 3D priced tickets for it's status at the top of the box office records, but I think that credit really needs to be given to Cameron for creating a film that actually used the 3D technology in a way people were not used too, and creating such a beautiful vista which took advantage of the technology, that the movie going public felt that they needed to spend that extra money to go see the 3D version of the movie in the theater instead of saving money on the cheaper 2D version of the film, or just waiting for the home release.

Only when consensus is reached

Um... Are you feeling ok?

A consensus? around here?

We can't even get everybody to agree on simple things around here, you of all people should know that a consensus on a hot topic like the Pandora project is never going to happen.

lol at everyone saying they wont go there. Not only will you go there but it will likely be awesome. All they need to do is change the name to something else and people would think its awesome.

What Avatar did was change everyone's impression of what 3D could do. Prior to this movie, the large majority of 3D films used the 3D effects for the cheap "Look! I'm floating over the audience" kind of tricks. The same type of effects used for YEARS at the Disney Parks with films like Magic Journeys, Captain EO, Honey I shrunk the Audience, and Muppet 4D. What Avatar ended up doing was using the 3D not to give us the impression of things flying over our heads or right at us, But to give the world within the movie a depth that we hadn't really seen before like that.

You'll probably laugh at this comparison but here goes.

I didn't get to see Avatar in theaters but I did get to see My Bloody Valentine 3D. I remember the thing that really impressed me about the movie wasn't things popping out at me but a scene looking into a mine shaft. The 3D effect really gave it a sense of depth that I hadn't seen in a 3D film before.

You know whats funny about all of this? Here everyone is up in arms about a land being modeled after Avatar. When in actuality I think it has the potential to be quite stunning and may even provoke more interest in the movie and characters. Then you have something like Pixar that is incredibly popular and SOOOO much could be done with a land or something being themed after Pixar movies and characters and what do we have to show for that? Pixar Place?! LAME!! So much could be done with a Pixar Place, the imagineers really slacked on that one. There's ONE Pixar ride and barely any theming. Prob not comparable but I'm just saying...

I was in the crowd that thought this was a lame idea, and thought the movie was silly.

My wife and I forced ourselves to watch the film this weekend since we take so many trips to WDW, and her favorite park is AK.

After seeing the film, call us hyped. We are totally on board for this now. It totally fits the park and it's general theme and ideals. It fits the whole "circle of life" idea perfectly. For those of the mindset that this is all fine and dandy, but other movies are more deserving of their own areas, I think most that are being brought up would have a home at MK. MK is STACKED at the moment, and I think the other parks need to most attention.

Epcot is likely fine, though it has quite a bit of dead attractions/pavilions onsite that could use some attention. However, as long as the World Showcase exists, and Spaceship Earth, Test Track, and Soarin' are active...Epcot is going to be a top park as it is the most adult park Disney has to offer. Hollywood Studios is desperately in need of an update...and honestly could be bulldozed and started over and I doubt many would be that upset as long as they left TSM, TT, and RRC. They've got Star Wars in progress though, and I personally think that is enough to have it's own park, forget about its own land, so once that's done, Disney is going to have bought plenty of time to work on DHS, and will have revenue pouring in. See Wizarding World at IoA. The wife and I go there every couple trips, see Wizarding World and leave. We have no interest in anything else there, but WW in itself is worth the admission. I think it's safe to say Star Wars is more popular than Harry Potter. Animal Kingdom, however, is already a great park, and has most of the pieces in place. But I thought the same about my Washington Redskins before RG3. We were a good team, but were lacking that QB to really push us into relevancy. That's AK. They just need that one more piece to put them up there with Epcot and MK. I know I've always gotten bored by lunchtime there. My wife could go all day because she's in love with animals. Once I've road the safari, I'm over the animals. Avatar will change AK from a 1/2-3/4 day park to a full day park...or at least until closing park for me.

Pandora is gorgeous, and totally doable for Imagineers. I originally had an issue with seeing where it would fit. Animal Kingdom seems like such a reality based park...but I talked myself out of that when I remembered that Beastly Kingdom was supposed to happen. I see this as just taking the place of that land. It really fits that quite nicely.

Anyone who has not seen the film and is placing judgement on this, I highly recommend you check out the movie and give it a chance. I had no interest whatsoever in it, and now I'm glad Disney had this idea because I would have likely never seen this film.

I thought that fern gulley had a better story than Avatar, but I think that the theme and what they could produce could be amazing. I'm just glad they are adding some attractions at Animal Kingdom. They could call the land dino doodoo if they added something to make it worth spending more than 3-4 hours there:)

Now, let's talk about some new countries in Epcot...no way, ok, a girl can wish...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter