Avatarland is a horrible fit for Disney. Scrap it. Here's what I would do instead. Build "Journey to the center of the Earth" ride. Either at Animal Kingdom or Disney Studios. For Epcot, I would build a Horizons II dark ride.

:cool1:

I thought of something much too late to market it, but I once remembered the pet rock thing and pondered the concept of selling Y2K compliant rocks, complete with a letter of guarantee.

That would have been great.

It would make more sense to have a Donald Duck in Mathland ride though I believe Disney will put more roller coasters hopefully in Avatarland. Riding those dragons might be thriling.

goodlife247 said:
why avatarland. so many other better films / worlds to chose from

I had lunch with the Imagineer on the project and asked the question. I was told it fit with the conservation philisophy of Disney/ AK. Could not share anything about Avatarland other then it should b great.

Any word on when construction will begin and where it will be located? The common belief is it will be at Camp mini-Mickey but per google something is happening beyond Asia. I have concerns about Avatar and probably not the same ones as many. I agree with the assessment that Avatar does not have the staying power of say Star Wars but if done right it will still work. My concerns are more will it happen in a timely manner and if so will Cameron be so difficult to deal with, will Disney not just drop the whole thing and lose valuable time in upgrading AK. If the area behind Asia is not the construction then Disney is already behond schedule. The original plan had the park section to begin opening late 2015 but I dont see that happening. 2017 is the earliest maybe even later. We are looking 5+ years out and the initial news would have started in 2011. Seriously that is a lot of time for a Park needing a little extra punch to get the needed punch. Is it costs or is Cameron (who is a known perfectionist) so difficult to deal with that Disney is pushing things farther back? Either case my gut is telling me Disney is almost looking for a way out of this deal before they go too deep in plans. This has to be a thought especially coupled with the DHS plans being tossed around. Both would be lots of money but both really needed for both parks. Look I am not Disney's CEO nor do I pretend to be but it begs the differ that with 2 parks being what many consider half day parks was the Fantasyland expansion really needed. I doubt many would consider MK being anything less than a full day park without the New Fantasyland whereas the need to me appeared to be at two other parks and Disney is years away from upgrading either.

Any word on when construction will begin and where it will be located? The common belief is it will be at Camp mini-Mickey but per google something is happening beyond Asia. I have concerns about Avatar and probably not the same ones as many. I agree with the assessment that Avatar does not have the staying power of say Star Wars but if done right it will still work. My concerns are more will it happen in a timely manner and if so will Cameron be so difficult to deal with, will Disney not just drop the whole thing and lose valuable time in upgrading AK. If the area behind Asia is not the construction then Disney is already behond schedule. The original plan had the park section to begin opening late 2015 but I dont see that happening. 2017 is the earliest maybe even later. We are looking 5+ years out and the initial news would have started in 2011. Seriously that is a lot of time for a Park needing a little extra punch to get the needed punch. Is it costs or is Cameron (who is a known perfectionist) so difficult to deal with that Disney is pushing things farther back? Either case my gut is telling me Disney is almost looking for a way out of this deal before they go too deep in plans. This has to be a thought especially coupled with the DHS plans being tossed around. Both would be lots of money but both really needed for both parks. Look I am not Disney's CEO nor do I pretend to be but it begs the differ that with 2 parks being what many consider half day parks was the Fantasyland expansion really needed. I doubt many would consider MK being anything less than a full day park without the New Fantasyland whereas the need to me appeared to be at two other parks and Disney is years away from upgrading either.

Can you specify where you see activity outside Asia? I don't see anything in google sat view. I think the evidence of clearing out Camp MM and relocating the Lion King theater makes it pretty clear.

Any word on when construction will begin and where it will be located? The common belief is it will be at Camp mini-Mickey but per google something is happening beyond Asia. ....

The area behind Asia has looked basically like that since the park was built. They seem to use it for storage and staging for other projects. There is nothing in the Google Maps that would lead me to believe they are going to build there any time soon.

All indications are that it is going in the CMM area.

There was a picture recently over at Orlando Theme Parks News showing a survey marker in the CMM area. Can't say for sure it is for Avatar, but it's an interesting sign.

Evidence of actual construction, no matter where they build it, will likely surface first as a permit to the South Florida Water Management District. This would proceed construction by at least a month or two.

announced in 2011 and always stated construction would not begin until 2013....everything i ve read seems to have it complete by 2016/2017

Not a wizard with attaching but there is between Asia and Conservation Station a big area that looks cleared out. Looks like it has a couple of buildings located there. It may have been there for years or it may have some purpose of keeping some animals (doubt it as most are between Africa and Conservation Station). I do believe it will eventually go at Camp Mini-Mickey. However that said it does go to my point that construction start is delayed. Originally they said 2013. Unless moving Lion King counts then they are behind construction.

I was just there a few days ago and there are walls up and what may be some construction beginning. I could not get a good look at what was going on, and I don't know what those buildings were.

I was just there a few days ago and there are walls up and what may be some construction beginning. I could not get a good look at what was going on, and I don't know what those buildings were.

im assuming you saw the walls up behind tusker house where fotlk is going in preparation for avatar

Maggie7313 said:
I still have hopes for Avatarland. I absolutely HATED the movie but Pandora was truly beautiful. I think it could be a lovely, sparkly place to wander through.

This is my opinion too. I love the concept of conservation the beauty of Pandora can offer this in a mythical, enjoyable way.

The area behind Asia has looked basically like that since the park was built. They seem to use it for storage and staging for other projects. There is nothing in the Google Maps that would lead me to believe they are going to build there any time soon.

All indications are that it is going in the CMM area.

There was a picture recently over at Orlando Theme Parks News showing a survey marker in the CMM area. Can't say for sure it is for Avatar, but it's an interesting sign.

Evidence of actual construction, no matter where they build it, will likely surface first as a permit to the South Florida Water Management District. This would proceed construction by at least a month or two.

Got it. Just believe that area looks out of place. Kind of like from the beginning they planned to do something with it but it never happened.

announced in 2011 and always stated construction would not begin until 2013....everything i ve read seems to have it complete by 2016/2017

Agree and that is what I have read all along but ut us mid-September 2013. Maybe they considered moving the Festival of the Lion King as part of the Construction. Otherwise they have a little over 3 months to begin or they are behind. To me this would not be a big deal except this park has needed an upgrade for years. EE was a great addition in mid 2000s but it really needs a couple more items.

Got it. Just believe that area looks out of place. Kind of like from the beginning they planned to do something with it but it never happened.

I have always speculated that they are holding on to that area for possible future animal attractions. It's more suited to this since it's a very large space and already close to the existing animal care facilities.

I have always speculated that they are holding on to that area for possible future animal attractions. It's more suited to this since it's a very large space and already close to the existing animal care facilities.

Who knows with Convservation Station maybe a Farm Animal Trail or maybe a North America Wild animal trail. We do have bear (black and brown), Racoons, possums, Mountain Lions, Wolves etc.
They could actually even go another direction with a South of the Equator trail with South America and/or Australia Animals.

I still have hopes for Avatarland. I absolutely HATED the movie but Pandora was truly beautiful. I think it could be a lovely, sparkly place to wander through.

My thoughts as well... I didn't HATE the movie, though, I thought it was just OK. But I imagine Pandora as absolutely beautiful. I think they could make a beautiful, sparkly Pandora without it necessarily having to be Avatarland...

The biggest problem I have it the theme. DAK is about animals and humans living together through culture and conservation. A movie about aliens doesn't really fit that

Having said that, I do trust Joe Rohde

The biggest problem I have it the theme. DAK is about animals and humans living together through culture and conservation. A movie about aliens doesn't really fit that

Having said that, I do trust Joe Rohde

Dances With Aliens was all about animals and humans living together through culture and conservation. In that regard it was a perfect fit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter