Avatar Flight of Passage too scary for 4 year old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OffToDWD

DIS Veteran
I've been trying to get more clarity on Avatar Flight of Passage but still not very clear how the ride is. Would it be too scary for a 4 year old? Also does this ride cause motion sickness? Thank you!!

There is a 44'' height restriction. It is a simulator, with simulated swoops and steep dives and drops. It has caused motion sickness in some guests. I'm not sure I would take a 4 y/o on it, but each child is different.

Depends on the child but I've seen plenty of small children on it. It's not intense.

It can cause motion sickness but it's not like Star Tours and nowhere near mission space. Most people on here who get motion sickness have been fine on it

I think most 4 year olds could handle the intensity of the ride system itself.
There is one part that would potentially be scary to a small child where a mean dragon thing is attacking you, but it might last 10 to 15 seconds total. And it isn't all that intense.

I am get motion sickness pretty easily, but I have no problems on FOP. The dives can be intense, but it's so well done, I do not have a problem with it.

If your 4year old likes Soarin or Imax movies, I would think FOP would be ok.

I have a 4 year old who is 47" now and will be possibly taller by our October trip. She's an adrenaline junkie with carnival rides like swings and small coasters, etc. But I too wondered how scary this one would be since she won't be pressed up against a parent to burrow when scared. She enjoys movies and shows and songs the more that she sees them/memorizes them and gets comfortable with them. My plan on this one is to let her view it on youtube when we are closer to our trip. Several times if she'd like. It won't scare her if she knows what is coming. If she's only meh about it or doesn't like it, it'll be a skip. It also depends how clingy she's being that week.

My 4-year old is pretty tough when it comes to rides, but I think the challenge he would have would be being so separate from me. You're each on individual bikes and if a scene is scary or a sudden movement makes him feel like he's falling, I know he'd instinctively try to grab me and I wouldn't be right there, if that makes sense. Sadly, he's a shorty at 42 inches so he's got a while to wait before he can ride!

My 4-year old is pretty tough when it comes to rides, but I think the challenge he would have would be being so separate from me. You're each on individual bikes and if a scene is scary or a sudden movement makes him feel like he's falling, I know he'd instinctively try to grab me and I wouldn't be right there, if that makes sense. Sadly, he's a shorty at 42 inches so he's got a while to wait before he can ride!

FWIW, I was actually pretty happy with how "close" the banshee things are to each other for this very purpose. When the restraints came up I needed to reach over to sort of position DD6's arms in a better spot and I could easily do it. The separation factor is definitely a consideration depending on the child, but I did have some level of "closeness" that made me feel a bit better. Not that I could have done anything if he did truly freak out half way through! :-)

There is a 44'' height restriction. It is a simulator, with simulated swoops and steep dives and drops. It has caused motion sickness in some guests. I'm not sure I would take a 4 y/o on it, but each child is different.

How bad are the drops I did splash then I said never again due to the drop at the end and I thought space was intes as well

So hard to predict how a kid will react - I wouldn't do it with my 4 year old - she doesn't mind heights and liked Soarin and most of Star Tours, but she she doesn't like the sensation of going fast, or of being "attacked" so the sensation of speed and the other banshee that gets in your face a little would likely upset her. Also, it is such an immersive experience, it might just be overwhelming for some kids. I thought it was lovely, and fun, not scary, but not right for my LO just yet. Another kid might be fine with it at 4.

I think this ride would scare the hell out of a 4yr old. Not because it is "scary", but because it is intense. My 14yo (who never gets sick) got sick on it.

How bad are the drops I did splash then I said never again due to the drop at the end and I thought space was intes as well

If Splash was too intense for you, I'm not sure that you would enjoy FOP. There is a lot of swooping and unexpected twists and turns - it is a very exciting ride. Not intended to frighten you, but I found it was a rush similar to a roller coaster because it was unpredictable and exhilarating. If you don't like the feeling of being out of control, may not be a good idea.

If Splash was too intense for you, I'm not sure that you would enjoy FOP. There is a lot of swooping and unexpected twists and turns - it is a very exciting ride. Not intended to frighten you, but I found it was a rush similar to a roller coaster because it was unpredictable and exhilarating. If you don't like the feeling of being out of control, may not be a good idea.

Thank you

There are no drops like Splash. It's a motion simulator. You will feel like you're dropping (the 3D movie shows a "drop" and the wind will blow more intensely in your face), but you go nowhere on this ride, other than side to side a bit.

All of the swoops are simulated, though. Very different from actually dropping 50 feet like on Splash.

There are no drops like Splash. It's a motion simulator. You will feel like you're dropping (the 3D movie shows a "drop" and the wind will blow more intensely in your face), but you go nowhere on this ride, other than side to side a bit.
You do actually drop. Maybe about 8-10 feet. The whole room goes up and down while your personal seat turns from side to side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter