• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Australian prices and itineraries are up

You're comparing different seasons. Jan here is winter. Jan there is summer there - peak season. RC and Disney prices are much higher here in the summer.
No I’m from Australia. That’s why I was comparing the prices. Same time of the year, summer and school holidays.

No I’m from Australia. That’s why I was comparing the prices. Same time of the year, summer and school holidays.
Got it. Disney prices for summer (here) are ridiculously high! For instance, a 5 night Fantasy in July is $5,776! The Aus Jan cruise - a 6 night from Sydney is $4,870. To me that's a huge difference - and you're getting an extra day on the Aus cruise.

Got it. Disney prices for summer (here) are ridiculously high! For instance, a 5 night Fantasy in July is $5,776! The Aus Jan cruise - a 6 night from Sydney is $4,870. To me that's a huge difference - and you're getting an extra day on the Aus cruise.
the prices for the Aussie ones are the "opening" prices, so that low will go up pretty quickly. I'm sure the July one was cheaper than that when booking first opened.
just go to the DCL website click "find a cruise" you can select from the Australian ports as a departure point and pricing is listed.

just go to the DCL website click "find a cruise" you can select from the Australian ports as a departure point and pricing is listed.
Oh. But, that's just the minimum price for a category of room for double occupancy. We can't see detailed pricing for >2 guests or for higher cost rooms within a category, right? And sadly, the Southern Pacific and Hawaiian cruises aren't listed. :(

Oh. But, that's just the minimum price for a category of room for double occupancy. We can't see detailed pricing for >2 guests or for higher cost rooms within a category, right? And sadly, the Southern Pacific and Hawaiian cruises aren't listed. :(
You can list the number of guests and you get the lowest price per category. I had 4 adults listed when I was checking it out.

The Hawaiian, South Pacific ones have a slightly later release, early October, so they're not listed yet.

You can list the number of guests and you get the lowest price per category. I had 4 adults listed when I was checking it out.

The Hawaiian, South Pacific ones have a slightly later release, early October, so they're not listed yet.
Oh, I see it now. You can even specify how many rooms you need. Neat.

I don't think the prices are that bad, but if you want people to fly all the way from the US you better have some longer cruises and better itineraries.

I don't think the prices are that bad, but if you want people to fly all the way from the US you better have some longer cruises and better itineraries.
Most folks have been of the opinion they don't... this is for locals to get their toes wet.

yes that's what I did, but mine was 2A 2C
I guess you won't be able to see until booking opens a full, detailed price list.

How come the Melbourne 2 night cruises are so much cheaper than the Brisbane and Sydney ones?

I find the pricing model very confusing. Some of the cruises are fairly reasonably priced, then others are out of control high,

How come the Melbourne 2 night cruises are so much cheaper than the Brisbane and Sydney ones?

I find the pricing model very confusing. Some of the cruises are fairly reasonably priced, then others are out of control high,
The one I'm looking at from Sydney for 4 nights is at the end of the season, I'm assuming that's why it is cheaper than the rest.
I don't know how they work them out but you really need to sort thru them to find what works best for you.

Most folks have been of the opinion they don't... this is for locals to get their toes wet.
On the Magic last month during the Gold\platinum event they they started asking people where they wanted Disney to Sail. Many people said Australia and Asia. The CD sort of hinted that Australia was a possibility. There are enough DCL cruisers with deep pockets that would have made the trek down under. Royal has been doing long cruises over there for years. You can add this to the long list of Disney's bad decisions they have made over the last two years.

You can add this to the long list of Disney's bad decisions they have made over the last two years.
Whether this is a bad decision depends on the goal of offering these cruises.

If the goal is to get people from North America to travel to Australia and take these cruises, then having short cruises with few stops may not meet the goal. But people in North America who want to take a Disney cruise can take other cruises, which still benefits DCL.

If the goal is to get people in Australia and surrounding areas who have or are willing to fly to North America to take Australian cruises instead, then these cruises may not meet the goal, because the cost is apparently similar to the cost of flying to the US. But people taking cruises in North America still benefits DCL.

If the goal is to get people in Australia and surrounding areas who haven't considered a Disney cruise (because of the distance or because they haven't thought about it) to take a cruise, love the experience, and be willing to take future longer cruises in North America (or in Australia or Asia or Europe), that goal could be met by these cruises. DCL would get customers in addition to those already cruising in North America and Europe, rather than instead.

Given that most of the cruises are too short to appeal to people flying in from far away or to people already familiar with DCL, it looks like the goal is to see if the Australian area has enough new customers to support more cruises in the area. If DCL decides it will, they may plan longer cruises with more stops to also draw in people from other areas. The per-guest-per-night profit is greater on shorter cruises (which is probably why the Wish is doing 3- and 4-night cruises, as the Dream did when it launched).

Whether this is a bad decision depends on the goal of offering these cruises.

If the goal is to get people from North America to travel to Australia and take these cruises, then having short cruises with few stops may not meet the goal. But people in North America who want to take a Disney cruise can take other cruises, which still benefits DCL.

If the goal is to get people in Australia and surrounding areas who have or are willing to fly to North America to take Australian cruises instead, then these cruises may not meet the goal, because the cost is apparently similar to the cost of flying to the US. But people taking cruises in North America still benefits DCL.

If the goal is to get people in Australia and surrounding areas who haven't considered a Disney cruise (because of the distance or because they haven't thought about it) to take a cruise, love the experience, and be willing to take future longer cruises in North America (or in Australia or Asia or Europe), that goal could be met by these cruises. DCL would get customers in addition to those already cruising in North America and Europe, rather than instead.

Given that most of the cruises are too short to appeal to people flying in from far away or to people already familiar with DCL, it looks like the goal is to see if the Australian area has enough new customers to support more cruises in the area. If DCL decides it will, they may plan longer cruises with more stops to also draw in people from other areas. The per-guest-per-night profit is greater on shorter cruises (which is probably why the Wish is doing 3- and 4-night cruises, as the Dream did when it launched).
I don’t think some overpriced short cruises is going to get people in Australia to North America to cruise. Certainly not in the short term. Currencies are cratering against the dollar, but that’s a whole nether problem.

I don’t think some overpriced short cruises is going to get people in Australia to North America to cruise. Certainly not in the short term. Currencies are cratering against the dollar, but that’s a whole nether problem.
You might be right about it not getting many people to then go to North America to cruise because visiting North America from here (I’m in NZ) seems to be getting more expensive by the day. But man, I am hearing people talking about and planning on going on these cruises everywhere I look - even now that the prices are out.

The Auckland ones aren’t even in the school holidays and approximately half of my 7 year old’s class are saying they are going to go on them. A similar story at my 16 month old’s daycare where a bunch of the parents are planning on going.

I‘m very hopeful that means they will do well and we will get longer cruises here in the future. We love going to North America to cruise and visit the parks, but it is becoming cost prohibitive for us to do annually like we used to. But cruises from here, even as expensive as they are, that we could do.

You might be right about it not getting many people to then go to North America to cruise because visiting North America from here (I’m in NZ) seems to be getting more expensive by the day. But man, I am hearing people talking about and planning on going on these cruises everywhere I look - even now that the prices are out.

The Auckland ones aren’t even in the school holidays and approximately half of my 7 year old’s class are saying they are going to go on them. A similar story at my 16 month old’s daycare where a bunch of the parents are planning on going.

I‘m very hopeful that means they will do well and we will get longer cruises here in the future. We love going to North America to cruise and visit the parks, but it is becoming cost prohibitive for us to do annually like we used to. But cruises from here, even as expensive as they are, that we could do.
I personally am not thrilled with the itineraries, BUT I am not the target market apparently - I have cruised Disney before, I visit the parks yearly etc.
I can say that these cruises will sell out without a doubt - people are already scrambling to make arrangements for when they can book. They will be a huge success.
I just hope that when they return - which I am almost 100% sure they will, we get better itineraries.

Sure you can throw in some short cruises with no stops, but please give us some with stops around the islands, I don't want to cruise with P&O and Carnival to go to the pacific Islands - I want to do it with Disney.

I personally am not thrilled with the itineraries, BUT I am not the target market apparently - I have cruised Disney before, I visit the parks yearly etc.
I can say that these cruises will sell out without a doubt - people are already scrambling to make arrangements for when they can book. They will be a huge success.
I just hope that when they return - which I am almost 100% sure they will, we get better itineraries.

Sure you can throw in some short cruises with no stops, but please give us some with stops around the islands, I don't want to cruise with P&O and Carnival to go to the pacific Islands - I want to do it with Disney.
Yeah I’m really hoping for pacific island stops in the future too. That would be amazing.

That's great to hear Aussies are excited about them. The dollar rising the way it is not a good sign for the global economy or ours. Hopefully, the cruises do well and they price them for Australians not Americans.

That's great to hear Aussies are excited about them. The dollar rising the way it is not a good sign for the global economy or ours. Hopefully, the cruises do well and they price them for Australians not Americans.
They are extremely expensive for Australians, more so because they are being priced in $US so until it's paid off it could very well continue to rise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter