Aulani Trip Reports PLEASE!!

I put together a travel channel style review: An Inside Look at Aulani. (Also has some excursions covered.)

http://vimeo.com/29434941

Awesome video - I LOVE it! I was just thinking today that I wished the travel channel would play something on Aulani, and then I saw your link to your video and it provided just what I wanted, thanks so much for sharing!

That's a wonderful video! It made me decide I will try for a week at Aulani at the 7 month window for part of our 2013 Hawaii trip. I wasn't thrilled about it being on Oahu, but our DD needs to be on Oahu for a conference, so we are going to try Aulani before we go to one of the other islands.

Question for those of you who have stayed there already.... If it difficult to find lounge chairs and umbrellas by the pool? One of my biggest pet pieves is that many hotels (lookin at you Grand Californian) don't seem to have enough chairs and umbrellas. Am going to Aulani for a quick weekend jaunt soon and am wondering if I'll need to rent a cabanna.

Question for those of you who have stayed there already.... If it difficult to find lounge chairs and umbrellas by the pool? One of my biggest pet pieves is that many hotels (lookin at you Grand Californian) don't seem to have enough chairs and umbrellas. Am going to Aulani for a quick weekend jaunt soon and am wondering if I'll need to rent a cabanna.

We were there opening week and only saw two spots that had umbrellas which each had two rght next to each other. The first day we were able to sit in the one area with two umbrellas (there are 6 of us) which was available in the afternoon. I thought it was the perfect spot since it was close to the pool, the beach and the DVC building. The next few days the same family reserved these EARLY (before 7:30) every morning. One day they did not even show up to these reserved seats until about 3 PM. Annoying! Anyway, the lack of umbrellas or shade was a downside of Aulani. Hopefully it gets better.

Awesome video - I LOVE it! I was just thinking today that I wished the travel channel would play something on Aulani, and then I saw your link to your video and it provided just what I wanted, thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks, I've gotten some nice feedback so far, and a lot of views of the video.

I was just there. At 8am, you could have your pick of umbrellas and chairs. Buy 11am on Saturday, those were goners. But mid-week the resort was pretty quiet and you could grab a table w chairs and an umbrella or get loungers w umbrellas by the Menehune Bridge. If you decide that you want a cabana, no need to pre-reserve yet... We only saw 2 MAX in use our whole week.

Hi there. Just got back from 5 nights at Aulani. It is a beautiful resort. I did notice the weekends were much more crowded at the resort in general and umbrella seating would probably need to be secured by 10 am or so on those days. During the week, it really felt like we had the place all to our selves. There are some great umbrellas by the menehune bridge with additional shade provided by the trees there but they do not afford you an ocean view. We were partial to the umbrellas by the stingray pool and the row of cabanas. Previous posters are right though, the resort is in need of a few more umbrellas or shade, especially at the main area of the pool. There seems to be plenty of loungers, just not enough shade.

Agreeing there are not enough umbrellas. We were there this weekend, and we usually sit in the menehune area under an umbrella. I do think once the resort is fully open it's going to be slim pickings for seats. We always went down to the pool by 815am or so. Hubby would go down with our toddler, sit or play in the menehune area, and I'd come down with breakfast and the 2 older kids. We did only take 2 seats/1 umbrella but there were larger groups there with like 6 loungers, tables w/umbrellas,etc. By about 1030 I'd see people walking the pool area looking for chairs.

I did notice a few changes from this weekend vs opening weekend (we went then too)...the refillable mug is $18.99 now vs 32.99. Also, they are slowly fixing all the pavement edging in the pool area. It's downright dangerous and I tripped/stubbed my toe probably 5 times the 1st time we went. This time I paid attention, plus a server (from Off the Hook) showed me how they are blasting the edging off and then putting flat rock/stone pavers in their place. Still looks nice, minus the crazy edging of the walkways.
I also did not see mention of the $99 deal at the snorkeling lagoon but I didn't ask about it either.

They also are making note on paper when you get your wrist bands for the pool. You have to show your resort ID, plus they mark down how many adults,etc have already gotten a band in your reservation. We had a mix up on one day, my reservation was A4C1 (4 adults, 1 child, 1 infant but the infant is not noted on the card, though she had her own card)...so one of the "adults" is my petite 10 yr old...so when she got her wrist band, they marked her as a child, so when my 8 yr old went to get his, it showed the "child" was taken, plus they also wouldn't give one for my toddler (infant)...I had to explain the infant is not coded on the keys (though did have a key, I showed them, it says infant!) so she's not a "child" in the "child" count... The girl who gave my 10 yr old her band realized her mistake (didn't look at the "adult" part on her card close enough, just the name and the paper to verify) and they also got it that my infant is not coded on the key though is on the reservation. They were always very friendly during our misunderstanding LOL!!

I did purchase a few of the exclusive DVC pins in the gift shop, a few gold looking ones with the Aulani symbol and a turtle and one with Mickey surfing.

The Daily Iwa is available in several locations. The bell desk, the Community Hall, the tours/travel desk, the teen lounge, and Auntie's house. Probably more locations, but that's where I've grabbed them.

Someone asked about the DVC parking on rented points, or reservation not in the members name. As far as I've read, you will not get free parking. It's only if you are the DVC member staying on a reservation. You show your parking lot ticket, DVC member card, and room key to the Bell Desk, they validate it. You then pull your car out of the lot, and insert the paper ticket into the machine to get the gate to raise.

The $99 offer has been discontinued for several weeks. No word if the price is being adjusted, or they've done away with it permanently.

Last night (10/10/11) the sign at the Rainbow Reef showed this change on the snorkel experience.

The sign no longer has any info on the chair/umbrella/beach equipment.

c4cc5d7b.jpg

Just want to clarify...

The Rainbow Reef snorkel gear and life vest is only for use in the salt water pool. You can't take the gear over to the beach lagoon.

If you don't own snorkel gear, stop by at Kmart, Walmart, Sports Authority, or Costco in town on the way to the resort. Buy something that fits your budget, use it, and either mail it home, leave it, or donate it to another guest. You can probably find complete sets in the $25-$40 range.

I'll check what the sign now reads out at the beach rental shack this weekend (staycationing again). Last time I did look, the $99 deal was taped over.

Correction to my last post about the snorkel gear.

I just checked with the rental booth. Best way to do this is pay for the Rainbow Reef, either day or length of stay pass. You CAN use the snorkel gear at the beach cove. BUT, stop by the beach shack to pick up flippers, which are not offered in the Rainbow Reef.

If you only rent at the beach shack, you get the gear, but not the Rainbow Reef experience.

Rental chairs on the beach cove (I'm not sure of the prices now).

78eb0596.jpg

The put two mattresses on here for comfort, and the back part comes up for shade.

92569665.jpg

Free chairs on the beach cove, first come first served for Aulani hotel guests.

d10faaab.jpg

b8fca25a.jpg

Free beach umbrellas on the beach between Aulani and Ihilani hotels. About 8 of them, chairs NOT INCLUDED.

05dc5107.jpg

5b0164fe.jpg

Free pool chairs, first come first served.

1fdbac06.jpg

Paid day cabanas.

1b609434.jpg

By the Menehune Bridge pool section, there are 9 umbrellas, first come first served.

f221732c.jpg

4a02f1f0.jpg

Near the Shave Ice Stand/Lava Shack store there about 7 more at tables, not lounge chairs.

1b1a632d.jpg

There are ZERO umbrellas near the "main" pool. Only cabanas (paid), or lounge chairs (free).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter