August W.I.S.H.Thread: Awesome August

Oneanne

DIS Veteran

Hello August - how can we make it an awesome month?

We're here to support each other with kindness as we each work on becoming or staying healthy during these trying times. Everyone is invited, and we're looking forward to catching up with regulars and welcoming newcomers! So hop aboard and post your personal goals.

We have weekly volunteer hosts, and typically follow a Monday-Sunday format:

Motivation Monday,
Topic Tuesday,
WOOHOO Wednesday,
Thankful Thursday,
Free For All Friday,
Social Saturday &
Self-Care Sunday.

HOSTs:

August 2 - 8 --- Oneanne
August 9 - 15 --- MicckeyMon76
August 16 - 22 --- Summer2018

August 23 - 29 --- PollyannaMon

Finally July has drawn to a close. It felt like it lasted forever, as has summer.. and we have another month of summer yet to go. I ended up dropping -9 pounds in July and this morning was down another, so that is already -1 for my month goal of -5. That will put me at my -15 pre-WDW-vacation goal, but it's a mute point now since I'm moving the trip to March. I am still going to take time off, but stay local and will move it up a week to piggyback onto Labor Day.

Other than continuing to lose weight, I just want to feel better which will mean more movement and better nutritional balance.

I’m Cristin…44…kindergarten teacher from PA, married mother of teen twins & a black lab. This month is always a challenge for me. I start out in “summer mode” and end in “school mode”.
Mental/emotional health is something I will try to focus on controlling this month. I want to try to go back to my mindset when I first starting teaching, when I was just excited for the school year and didn’t know if all the extra stress it brought with it. I’m always excited to meet my new students and their families. And I want to focus on that and not worry about the other stressors.

Physical health will still also be a focus, as I’d like to continue to lose the vacation weight I’ve gained this summer. So I’ll focus on trying to lose 5 pounds by exercising daily, moving more/sitting less, eating better, drinking more water and getting 7-8 hours of sleep each night.

I'm Linda from the Pacific Northwest. Truly an empty nester finally. DS2 starts his final year of college in the fall and DS1 is getting married in a few weeks. We no longer have single digit aged twins living with us. WHEW!!!!

This month I want to focus on actually doing everything I say I'm going to do! Like my short weight lifting routine and yoga. I often forget to do the weights and yoga has been skipped because we're in a heatwave and it's just too hot. My summer vacation ends Wednesday so I'm coming up with a plan to do some of that in the morning! Sorry DH, my alarm will be going off early! I also need to rethink cooking and meals.

MOTIVATION MONDAY

View attachment 593905

What are your healthy living goals for this month?
What will you focus on this week to start the month off right?
How can you make it an awesome month?
Intro:
Summer, 56, in Connecticut, one hour outside NYC
Living with...DH, 62, DD, 23
Working as...a Kindergarten Teacher in an inner city public school...making the most of a couple more weeks off!
Favorite place...seashore
Hobbies...Art, swimming, singing, reading
August Goals:
Reset following vacation weight gain; get remotivated; walk daily; high protein, low carb; keep my eye on the prize; HAVE FUN!

View attachment 593906

Finally July has drawn to a close. It felt like it lasted forever, as has summer.. and we have another month of summer yet to go. I ended up dropping -9 pounds in July and this morning was down another, so that is already -1 for my month goal of -5. That will put me at my -15 pre-WDW-vacation goal, but it's a mute point now since I'm moving the trip to March. I am still going to take time off, but stay local and will move it up a week to piggyback onto Labor Day.

Other than continuing to lose weight, I just want to feel better which will mean more movement and better nutritional balance.
CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss!!!

It's nice to be back with all of you. It is taking me some time to adjust to being home from vacation. I'm really glad that I don't have to jump right back into work. Saturday was laundry...which continued into Sunday. We did some errands this morning including ordering the cake for DD's grad/business launch party next week. It is so just weird to be back in reality. Where are the palm🌴🌴trees? Why is it only in the 70's?

Our routine on vacation was a sunrise swim in the ocean; breakfast; at the pool by 8:00 AM; first cocktail at 11:00 AM; lunch & second cocktail at the pool; back to room by 3:00 PM once the pool got too rowdy; dinner & cocktails at 6:00 PM; bed by 9:00 PM; rinse and repeat.

We went from swimming in very warm ocean and even warmer pool water with outside temps in the 90's. I am forcing myself to go in our freezing cold pool today because I can no longer hide out in the house. I've got to get back on my treadmill today.

I gained quite a bit unfortunately even though I doubled my steps and swam a lot. I guess all of that rich food and fruity cocktails was more than my body could handle. I have eaten much healthier today, so I know that I can do this. Hopefully most of this weight is water weight.

What are your healthy living goals for this month?
What will you focus on this week to start the month off right?
How can you make it an awesome month?

Intro: Nicole, 50, in southeastern Massachusetts, with DH, DS(20) and 2 cats

Goals: the normal drink enough water and limit sweets, but this month in particular, I want to focus on decluttering - "healthy space, heathy mindset"

Starting Off: We're coming off a very stressful month here, so I'm focused this week on creating positive routines moving forward.

Awesomeness Bonus: I'd like to try three new recipes and go over my goal in the exercise thread.

TOPIC TUESDAY

Have you ever noticed that certain foods affect your mood? Are there foods that you know will bring you down and/or are there foods you reach for if you need a lift? Do you think the effect these foods have on you is due to nutritional value or is it purely an emotional response?

Bonus question: Last week I heard the term "food heritage" for the first time. Is there a family food heritage that influences your food choices?

Are there foods that you know will bring you down and/or are there foods you reach for if you need a lift? Do you think the effect these foods have on you is due to nutritional value or is it purely an emotional response?

Great question! I absolutely feel like food effects mood, and my example is almonds. - I feel more balanced and calm when I regularly snack on them, and I think it's the magnesium.

It's nice to be back with all of you. It is taking me some time to adjust to being home from vacation. I'm really glad that I don't have to jump right back into work. Saturday was laundry...which continued into Sunday. We did some errands this morning including ordering the cake for DD's grad/business launch party next week. It is so just weird to be back in reality. Where are the palm🌴🌴trees? Why is it only in the 70's?

Our routine on vacation was a sunrise swim in the ocean; breakfast; at the pool by 8:00 AM; first cocktail at 11:00 AM; lunch & second cocktail at the pool; back to room by 3:00 PM once the pool got too rowdy; dinner & cocktails at 6:00 PM; bed by 9:00 PM; rinse and repeat.

We went from swimming in very warm ocean and even warmer pool water with outside temps in the 90's. I am forcing myself to go in our freezing cold pool today because I can no longer hide out in the house. I've got to get back on my treadmill today.

I gained quite a bit unfortunately even though I doubled my steps and swam a lot. I guess all of that rich food and fruity cocktails was more than my body could handle. I have eaten much healthier today, so I know that I can do this. Hopefully most of this weight is water weight.
Sounds like you had a wonderfully relaxing trip! So happy for you to have that time with your family, wonderful weather and gorgeous views!

TOPIC TUESDAY

View attachment 594259

Have you ever noticed that certain foods affect your mood? Are there foods that you know will bring you down and/or are there foods you reach for if you need a lift? Do you think the effect these foods have on you is due to nutritional value or is it purely an emotional response?

Bonus question: Last week I heard the term "food heritage" for the first time. Is there a family food heritage that influences your food choices?
I’ve never been a coffee drinker. But I will reach for a Diet Coke or Coke Zero (my favorite is Cherry Coke Zero). I know soda is not good for you. But for me, it gives me that little pick me up that I need around mid afternoon and can keep me feeling full until dinner time.

I will also reach for a Beachbar (protein bar made by Beachbody) if I need an afternoon snack. These are delicious and make me feel happy and like I’m eating something I shouldn’t. But they are actually a good choice!

TOPIC TUESDAY

View attachment 594259

There's a lot to unpack here...lot's of food for thought...pardon the pun!

Mood/Food: Fatty fast food weighs me down. I never eat McDonald's or Burger King...if we have burgers & fries, we try for higher quality fast food like Wayback Burgers or the local small business hamburger/hot dog stand, and even that is a rare occasion. Ultimately, they all make me feel bloated, so instead I make my own burgers using 90% lean ground beef or ground sirloin and homemade or Alexia French Fries which are much healthier. Sugar is a favorite of mine, but I am very careful to balance it with something high in protein. My morning cup of coffee, aka, the nectar of the gods, is essential for me. If I have more than one cup though, the second cup is decaf. I cannot injest caffeine past noon or I will get jittery. I try very hard to prepare whole foods rather than make anything instant or from a box. All of those preservatives, salt, and added chemicals make me feel crummy.

Food Heritage: I am not sure that I truly understand the definition, but I will give it a go. Food was definitely a love language in my home. The foods that my Mother prepared that give me comfort, I share with my family. Unfortunately, there are some recipes that she didn't share before she died, and I will always miss. I was never a fan of vegetables, which frustrated my Mother to no end. I spent too many nights at the dinner table until 8:00 PM staring down at my unfinished vegetables. I tried swallowing them like pills with milk; hiding them in my napkin; trying to convince my dog, Snoopy, to eat them out of my hand; and filling up my mouth then slipping away from the dinner table to spit them out in the toilet. To this day, I am not a fan. Unfortunately, DD is just as bad as I was, although I never forced her to clean her plate with the threat of children starving in Africa. I just asked her to try a bite of everything on her plate, period. DH, of course, has a savory palette; has no empathy for our plight; and blames me for her inferior taste buds. Thank God for our Nutribullet which helps us get in our 5 a day! My Grandmother (diabetic in old age), Mother, Brother, and I were/are all chocoholics. Grandma and I both had/have a sweet tooth. I am trying to avoid ending up like her, but it is definitely a daily struggle.

I’ve never been a coffee drinker. But I will reach for a Diet Coke or Coke Zero (my favorite is Cherry Coke Zero). I know soda is not good for you. But for me, it gives me that little pick me up that I need around mid afternoon and can keep me feeling full until dinner time.

I will also reach for a Beachbar (protein bar made by Beachbody) if I need an afternoon snack. These are delicious and make me feel happy and like I’m eating something I shouldn’t. But they are actually a good choice!
My Aloha protein bars and Iconic protein shakes are the same for me.

My morning cup of coffee, aka, the nectar of the gods, is essential for me. If I have more than one cup though, the second cup is decaf. I cannot injest caffeine past noon or I will get jittery.

i'm the opposite - a natural morning person. I need my noon cup in order to function in the evening like other people. My morning cup is decaf, because that one's all about the ritual.

I've been trying to figure out if there are specific foods that trigger mood swings. Last Friday was the first day in a long time when I've been outright crabby and over the weekend I slipped back into an old thought pattern that hasn't happened since the ADHD diagnosis, but I haven't been able to connect anything specifically to food. If I can get more protein in me, that would be more of the foods on the happy side of the face and might make a difference.

I usually think of my family food heritage as being carb heavy, but when I really think about the meals my Mom prepared they were pretty balanced per what was thought of nutrition at the time. There was a protein (fried chicken, salmon patties), some sort of veggie (that frozen veggie mix where everything is cut into small square pieces), a carb (white bread or mashed potatoes) and there was usually dessert (cookies, cake). Now granted, one of our regular "treats" was a slice of white bread with butter and sugar sprinkled on it and another was having our cereal over ice cream instead of with milk, so there was sugar in the house as well. We really don't have any family recipes carried forward, altho I used to make tuna noodle casserole now and then, and can make a pretty good meatloaf. And a couple years ago I made an excellent pineapple upside-down cake... all of these were stables my Mom made on a regular basis.

Yesterday I finally pulled the plug and re-booked my WDW vacation for early March. The airfare was +$100, but the resort ended up being a little less, and if they have a spring room discount that will bring it down even more. If I had gone in Sept I would have had about $120 in Disney Rewards but by March it will be around $370, so that is going to cover a lot more meals. I'm sad about it, and frustrated, but I know it was the right choice for me. For September I have a couple nights booked at my favorite hotel in Long Beach and a couple nights at my favorite place in Port Townsend. I've never made the drive from Long Beach to Port Townsend, which is up the peninsula, so that will be something new.

I've avoided the food heritage part of the question because I didn't want to sound judge-y*, but it's definitely one of the big differences between how DH and I were raised. My house was far from a "sweets-free" zone, but dessert was not part of every dinner, either. (Salad usually was, though, on top of whatever other veggie we having.) DH came from a "food is love" house, and he battles to keep his sweet tooth in check to this day. So I definitely think our food heritage shapes our adult preferences and struggles.

I also think it shapes our expectations in areas like independence and gender roles. In DH's house, meals were kind of seen as an act of service, and very much his mom's domain. In my house (except for big weekend brunches) breakfast was a serve-yourself affair as soon as you could be trusted to use the toaster. :rotfl2: I learned how to start dinner in upper elementary school, simply because I was the first one home, and it was a team effort, with my dad cooking at least as often as my mom. My brother and I were both encouraged to experiment with recipes as well.

Over the years, DH and I have merged our food heritages into something in the middle.

* I really don't believe that some parents are perfect and some make mistakes - we just all make different mistakes!

Last edited:
I've avoided the food heritage part of the question because I didn't want to sound judge-y*, but it's definitely one of the big differences between how DH and I were raised. My house was far from a "sweets-free" zone, but dessert was not part of every dinner, either. (Salad usually was, though, on top of whatever other veggie we having.) DH came from a "food is love" house, and he battles to keep his sweet tooth in check to this day. So I definitely think our food heritage shapes our adult preferences and struggles.

I also think it shapes our expectations in areas like independence and gender roles. In DH's house, meals were kind of seen as an act of service, and very much his mom's domain. In my house (except for big weekend brunches) breakfast was a serve-yourself affair as soon as you could be trusted to use the toaster. :rotfl2: I learned how to start dinner in upper elementary school, simply because I was the first one home, and it was a team effort, with my dad cooking at least as often as my mom. My brother and I were both encouraged to experiment with recipes as well.

Over the years, DH and I have merged our food heritages into something in the middle.

* I really don't believe that some parents are perfect and some make mistakes - we just all make different mistakes!
This is exactly the context in which the reference came up - a husband talking about the different food heritages he and his wife brought to their marriage, and how they blended them. My Mom also considered cooking her domain, and didn't teach any of us kids how to cook, I think so she could keep control of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!