August 2024 Refurbs..Haunted Mansion Holiday opens July 29th! Space Mountain and Disneyland Railroad start August 5. Monorail starts August 12.

I'm surprised that these closures are starting on August 5 (the Monday before D23) and not on August 12. With so many fans at the convention, maybe they expect the parks to be slower that week. :confused3

Railroad makes sense and I really hope they do more then just build the station. I really hope the Splash cave gets some upgrades and the Q for this station is given more shade and more theming

Space being down is interesting...if we get Ghost Galaxy back then its worth it...if its just down because not a fan because of everything else is down but....hoping for the best

I’m confused…did Disney say HMH is opening 8/23? I thought they left it kinda open ended, just saying it would be in fall season? Maybe I missed the date in the announcement? 🤔

I’m confused…did Disney say HMH is opening 8/23? I thought they left it kinda open ended, just saying it would be in fall season? Maybe I missed the date in the announcement? 🤔
Sorta. Disney was trying to smudge it a bit - they said that the Halloween season would start on 8/23 and that HMH would be part of it. The reporting so far has indicated that 8/23 is the "drop dead day", ie, the latest that HMH is supposed to open. But there could be unforeseen setbacks, etc - there's no guarantee that it actually will.

However, that same reporting (including from Scott Gustin) has said that the ride will likely open earlier than 8/23 (with the VQ).

Sorta. Disney was trying to smudge it a bit - they said that the Halloween season would start on 8/23 and that HMH would be part of it. The reporting so far has indicated that 8/23 is the "drop dead day", ie, the latest that HMH is supposed to open. But there could be unforeseen setbacks, etc - there's no guarantee that it actually will.

However, that same reporting (including from Scott Gustin) has said that the ride will likely open earlier than 8/23 (with the VQ).
Thank you!

Ugh I'm so sad about the railroad :sad:! My kids are also going to be really bummed about Space Mountain as we've heard the DL version is better than WDW. We arrive on 8/13 but I'm sure these closures are going to be longer than a week 😞.

Ugh I'm so sad about the railroad :sad:! My kids are also going to be really bummed about Space Mountain as we've heard the DL version is better than WDW. We arrive on 8/13 but I'm sure these closures are going to be longer than a week 😞.
We arrive then too. We're celebrating my milestone birthday on the 14th. I am pretty disappointed to see how much is closed. We expected not to ride Tiana's but Haunted Mansion plus Space Mountain AND the railroad is a bummer.

At the moment, we only know of the one day for Space Mountain - we'll see what happens as the calendar extends. But if there's hope at all - it was down for an extended refurb (five weeks) last fall, so I'm not sure it'd be due for something more long-term. (Off the top of my head - I vaguely recall it being down for a day or two a couple of months ago.) Hopefully, it'll just be a couple of days thing.

Do they take it down to change it from hyperspace mountain back to the regular space mountain? I don’t know which one it is now, but curious if it could be as simple as that? And if so, does that take long?

Do they take it down to change it from hyperspace mountain back to the regular space mountain? I don’t know which one it is now, but curious if it could be as simple as that? And if so, does that take long?
They do - but that's already been done for this year. (I think it's like a two-day closure when that happens.) Some people saw this and were quietly hoping for a return of Ghost Galaxy, but I'd be surprised if it was anything like that.

After the last major refurb, there was some light scuttle that they didn't finish the lift hill effects (towards the bottom), so it might be something like that. But I'd bet it's something to do with whatever it was that caused that short closure earlier this year - just something that needs attention. (They usually stick a note on the ride page for longer downtimes, but not always.)

Man Space better not bleed into October… I really missed it last year when I went early October!

I’m *not* happy about the virtual queue… HM is soul crushing with its line during the holidays, BUT, I alway have the option to just wait it out. A virtual queue can just flat out close, and if it’s closed for the day by 10am or something, I’m just out of luck. So basically any park hop day where I start at DCA, HM is likely going to be impossible. That might cut my options by 50% right there. Then if I’m driving over from Universal one day and show up at 1030 or 11, it’s probably a no go that day. That might drop me down to like 2 chances from a 5 or 6 day Disney trip…

It just feels more frustrating when it’s essentially the same as being closed. I hate pay to play, but I prefer that option or long as heck line to “you weren’t up at 6am to rope drop and mash buttons on your phone ASAP.”

Or change the queue so it’ll only book spots out 90-120 minutes or something so you have 5 or 6 “waves” of trying to join a queue. (IE if at 8am it’s booked to 11:30 the app says “return here at 11am to try and join the queue!” and that will be for 11:30-1:30pm windows, repeat)

I wonder if the railroad is closing so they can update soundtrack from Splash to Tiana??

Fingers crossed Space opens quickly, I missed it last year!

*shakes fist*

NEW: Space Mountain at Disneyland Park will close for refurbishment on Aug. 5. The closure is expected to last about a month while Disney updates lighting throughout the ride, including in the attraction's tunnel. Work will also be done to flooring inside the attraction. (Scott Gustin / X)

Last edited:
Just before D23. Doesn't seem like a smart move. Animation Academy is something we always do and we arrive on the 5th. Bummer.

Kinda suprised they don't do the Monorail right now

Just a heads up, if the weather is like above 80s in the afternoon most days it will shut down for hours anyway because of the heat...so assume thats why its going down now because mot days until after Halloween it will be shut down most the day anyway

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest