August 2017 Disneyland Check-In & Chat!

My daughters and I will be staying at BWPPI and in the parks August 12-21, 10 full days of play. Can't wait for Guardians of the Galaxy, Fantasmic, and the Railroad.

Yes, fairly certain people will race to get these :) we want the second show, so will probably try to pull ours after 9am
This is our plan as well. My husband and I discussed it, and we just can't rationalize the cost for five people for the dining packages. It's not just the cost of the food, then there is tax and tip as well. Ouch!

This is our plan as well. My husband and I discussed it, and we just can't rationalize the cost for five people for the dining packages. It's not just the cost of the food, then there is tax and tip as well. Ouch!

Bingo. The most we've paid for a meal is around $350...we don't drink and this was the best meal, top dining...not monte cristo fried sandwich...plus...we prefer the rides to the shows...nice for a break, but not why we go to the parks :)

Bingo. The most we've paid for a meal is around $350...we don't drink and this was the best meal, top dining...not monte cristo fried sandwich...plus...we prefer the rides to the shows...nice for a break, but not why we go to the parks :)

::yes:: A few weeks ago -- likely due to reading threads like this -- I booked the WOC dessert package for the 5 of us. $400. And then I thought about it, read some poor reviews (food), and within a few days cancelled. We're plain people and those fancy desserts would be wasted on us. So $400 for just seats? No. For that price, I figured, we could do a night at the DLH and the kids would enjoy that a whoooole lot more. Ended up booking two nights there because it was actually cheaper than my original plan, which was a beach day, which required renting a car and parking fees. I know DLH is expensive as all heck, but the kids are going to love the pool.

I agree that you have to weigh the pros and cons for your family. I normally wouldn't splurge, but I do think that the shows may be a highlight for my family, as long as we can avoid waiting in a giant crush of people for a long time and can actually see (the tallest in my party is 5'5''' and only one of my kids is light enough to be lifted up). Since we live in EST, I also don't want to risk being unable to snag FP for the first showing. But if I hear that the dining viewing area is not a great experience, we will cancel.

I agree that you have to weigh the pros and cons for your family. I normally wouldn't splurge, but I do think that the shows may be a highlight for my family, as long as we can avoid waiting in a giant crush of people for a long time and can actually see (the tallest in my party is 5'5''' and only one of my kids is light enough to be lifted up). Since we live in EST, I also don't want to risk being unable to snag FP for the first showing. But if I hear that the dining viewing area is not a great experience, we will cancel.
This is pretty much our situation, though I find it very unlikely we will cancel. This will be the one meal that we splurge on during the trip. We may not ever get back to Disneyland, and my husband dearly loves Fantasmic (the WDW version- we've never seen the California one). I'd like to eat at the Blue Bayou anyway. It looks lovely, and from the food blogs, they have had some very nice food choices on the package menus in the past (I hope to order the surf and turf! :))

Also, from our two trips to WDW, I have about had it with waiting for the fireworks and nighttime spectaculars. My annoyance builds as people encroach upon the space I've carved out for my family, and I halfway enjoy the shows while gritting my teeth and taking calming breaths. We're planning on watching the new show on the second night that AP holders can see it (I think), and without a package or FP, it's unlikely to be worth the misery for me.

This is pretty much our situation, though I find it very unlikely we will cancel. This will be the one meal that we splurge on during the trip. We may not ever get back to Disneyland, and my husband dearly loves Fantasmic (the WDW version- we've never seen the California one). I'd like to eat at the Blue Bayou anyway. It looks lovely, and from the food blogs, they have had some very nice food choices on the package menus in the past (I hope to order the surf and turf! :))

Also, from our two trips to WDW, I have about had it with waiting for the fireworks and nighttime spectaculars. My annoyance builds as people encroach upon the space I've carved out for my family, and I halfway enjoy the shows while gritting my teeth and taking calming breaths. We're planning on watching the new show on the second night that AP holders can see it (I think), and without a package or FP, it's unlikely to be worth the misery for me.

This may also be our only DL trip -- definitely the only trip with my teen. He loved Fantasmic at WDW and his siblings were either too young to remember or have never seen it. He cannot handle standing in a tight crowd for a long time, and I also tend to feel trapped and anxious. Not to mention annoyed when much taller people decide to stand directly in front of us. We're going to save money by getting most of our dinners out of the park, from McD and nearby pizza places.

Anyone know how Fantasmic FP viewing is (or was before it closed for reburb)? We selected the dining package for WOC over Fantasmic just because we haven't seen WOC before. Thus, relying on the FP for Fantasmic. So are the seats ok? Also hopoing they don't sell out the first half our of park opening. We will start our day at DL and plan to be there near opening, but probably won't do rope drop as the day before was our early MM morning.

Are you able to pull other Fastpasses while holding one for Fantasmic? We have seen it at WDW and would love to see the DL version. Thanks!

The last time we saw Fantasmic was in 2015. You could hold a fast pass for it and it was disconnected from the other rides. It was a little bit of a zoo being herded into the areas to watch the show. We had to stand to watch. I'm not sure if that was true in all the areas. Certainly if you paid for a dining package at Blue Bayou you were able to sit. You even got a cushion! Not sure about RBT. But I do think all the other areas were standing. There are others with a lot more experience than I that can probably give you a lot more information. I'm expecting a madhouse, just because it's newly reopened and it's an amazing show.

Anyone know how Fantasmic FP viewing is (or was before it closed for reburb)? We selected the dining package for WOC over Fantasmic just because we haven't seen WOC before. Thus, relying on the FP for Fantasmic. So are the seats ok? Also hopoing they don't sell out the first half our of park opening. We will start our day at DL and plan to be there near opening, but probably won't do rope drop as the day before was our early MM morning.

I don't think there are any seats for Fantasmic at DL, unless you are disabled, VIP, or call to purchase the premium dining package at River Belle Terrace. There is mixed info about whether the regular dining packages will be standing or sitting on the ground. From what I've read, in the past the FP were for different areas depending on when you pull them. I think no one knows how fast the FP will go because Fantasmic is returning after such a long break and with changes, but it will help if there are two shows on your night and you don't mind the later show.

so this morning I booked all 3 packages for F! -- i am going to see what we end up doing based on the reviews that come in....we may keep one or cancel all three!
$$$$ is a factor for us as well, we are from Canada and have to add about 30% to the cost of everything for the exchange rate so $100 US for dinner = $130 CAD for us!!!

According to touring plans the week of 8/13 are 4's for crowds. Here's hoping they are right!

I do wonder how accurate Touring Plans is. For our Thurs Aug 31 date, Touring Plans has it as a 1. RHM Travel has it as a 2.8. Then on the other side.....Disney Tourist Blog marks it as a RED. The Its Packed site marks it as "Yep It's Packed". So what to believe?

so this morning I booked all 3 packages for F! -- i am going to see what we end up doing based on the reviews that come in....we may keep one or cancel all three!
$$$$ is a factor for us as well, we are from Canada and have to add about 30% to the cost of everything for the exchange rate so $100 US for dinner = $130 CAD for us!!!

Another Canadian here and I hear you. At least the dollar is slowly getting better. When we went away back in April it was at 1.34...so 1.30 seems relatively better.

I need to see what August 21 is going to be... That's a definite date we'd be going to DCA.

I'm really warming up to the 9am opening time now. It means we will most likely be able to stay later, probably till closing, where before we probably would have been too tired to get up for 8:00 opening and stay till midnight. (We do take afternoon hotel breaks)

I've used the is it packed website as a crowd predictor. It said ghost town for our January trip, and maybe it was, comparatively, but it sure didn't feel like it. It felt about the same to us as when we had gone in June in the past.

I do wonder how accurate Touring Plans is. For our Thurs Aug 31 date, Touring Plans has it as a 1. RHM Travel has it as a 2.8. Then on the other side.....Disney Tourist Blog marks it as a RED. The Its Packed site marks it as "Yep It's Packed". So what to believe?

Another Canadian here and I hear you. At least the dollar is slowly getting better. When we went away back in April it was at 1.34...so 1.30 seems relatively better.

I have never had an issue with TP, but I have never used it for DLR, so I am not sure. I hope Its Packed and TOurist Blog are WRONG. SL and SC passes are still on block out so that hopefully will help with numbers.

I need to see what August 21 is going to be... That's a definite date we'd be going to DCA.

According to Touring Plans both parks are 6's for the day - There are no pass blockouts, so that will probably make for larger crowds.

I am late to the party but here I am!

Going to Disneyland/CA Aug 12-19 with myself, husband, DD age 5, DS age 4, grandma, grandpa, and my sister! My kids' first trip to Disney World was last July and they keep asking to go back. Hoping DL/CA is just as fun! Super excited for Cars Land!!

We booked a 2 bed suite at Staybridge at the Park which just opened recently. Mixed reviews on whether the walk to Downtown Disney to ride the tram to the park is "long." The kids will have strollers. The other option is Staybridge Anaheim Resort area which requires the use of ART or a rental car. ART itself gets some bad reviews but hotel reviews on using ART seem more favorable. I know sometimes the walk just inside the parking lot can be a haul too. Right now I lean towards the Park location but I'd love to hear what others think (this may not be the best thread to ask!).

I just booked dining reservations at Plaza Inn for 10:30am. They had 10:40 available... didn't want to push it too late. The cast member did assure me the characters will stay around till 11:30 and there will be plenty of food.

Can't believe this is coming up so quickly and happy to share my excitement (and planning) with every one!

I am late to the party but here I am!

Going to Disneyland/CA Aug 12-19 with myself, husband, DD age 5, DS age 4, grandma, grandpa, and my sister! My kids' first trip to Disney World was last July and they keep asking to go back. Hoping DL/CA is just as fun! Super excited for Cars Land!!

We booked a 2 bed suite at Staybridge at the Park which just opened recently. Mixed reviews on whether the walk to Downtown Disney to ride the tram to the park is "long." The kids will have strollers. The other option is Staybridge Anaheim Resort area which requires the use of ART or a rental car. ART itself gets some bad reviews but hotel reviews on using ART seem more favorable. I know sometimes the walk just inside the parking lot can be a haul too. Right now I lean towards the Park location but I'd love to hear what others think (this may not be the best thread to ask!).

I just booked dining reservations at Plaza Inn for 10:30am. They had 10:40 available... didn't want to push it too late. The cast member did assure me the characters will stay around till 11:30 and there will be plenty of food.

Can't believe this is coming up so quickly and happy to share my excitement (and planning) with every one!

Mine is at 10:40. We've done that time before and it was great. We met Tafiki, Chip and Dale, Fairy Godmother, Pooh, Tiger, Eeyore and more. I feel like they were able to spend more time with us since there wasn't a lot of people after us. Minnie & Friends is the best character dining <3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter