Assistance from CMs....Am I a crazy person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just going to take your post at face value but are you really suggesting that the OP have EMT's and/or an ambulance called. Because they are the only mobile medical staff on property.

But OP I think you got some good advise if this happens again.

I read it as more of a "take a stand" and make it an issue of the CM seems to not be taking things seriously enough.

And yes, if a guest feels immediate medical[/] attention is needed, asking for it is appropriate. EMS is the responding unit as they are best equipped for medical emergencies. It doesn't mean they will haul you to a hospital or that a hospital is needed. But it helps to document the incident as well as get the medical assistance needed since the general thought is that the CMs were I'll equipped and improperly trained to meet the guest's needs.

I did have a random thought--Mission Space does indeed see a lot of vomiters. Do they have a custodian assigned there just for that or do CMs receive special training? I would think OSHA would have something to say about training to clean up a biohazard. Just wondering how it might be different at that attraction and whether maybe the CMs have more "compassion" training over there to readily provide appropriate (however one might define that) assistance to guests.

here's my .02.... OP I think you expected too much. that ride cm suddenly had a biohazard to quarantine/get clean/reroute guests from the line issues to deal with at that moment. So maybe you caught them in an off moment there...you think?
Also, you and your dh spent a lot of time just being upset about the fact that this happened,rather than just taking yourselves to the nearest quiet spot and cleaning up. At that point, after the initial clean up, the offer of a bunch of napkins would be the only useful thing to have.
:confused3And side point if I were standing in a ladies room line, and you were behind me, in the state you describe with a sick baby, I would help you by handing you as many paper towels as I could, and directing you to go straight in,not waiting in a line,as you had an emergency cleanup happening.(I wouldn't want to hold the baby,sorry, but I would try to be helpful)Not sure why no one felt moved to help out, but anyway..:confused3
Then you could have either gone to the big store and spent money on the clothes they had there (yes, it happens) and they have just about everything in there,maybe not my personal faves, but wearable- -OR- gone straight back to your room,showered,and possibly come back later when you assessed the situation.( over the years,I've done both)
I'm not sure how it was anyone else's issue to have you traipsing all over WS covered in vomit looking sad,asking for...? what could anyone do?
I am just trying to provide a different viewpoint of events.... to a cm, they need to clean up what happened, and protect other guests from having to deal with it. That's their main job.
I realize that sympathy might have been nice but in reality there was nothing more they could do. Unless you hit up first aid,and asked for some pedialyte,or some such thing. I hope your next trip goes smoother, I know what it feels like to have this stuff happen! :wizard:

Just a caution, we had an emergency situation while in the parks. My son overheated, and had what we now know is a type of seizure (it basically looked like a bad meltdown, but it wasn't). My mother and I asked seven different CM to call 911 or the EMTs. All we got were directions to First Aid. We couldn't get reception at that time to call ourselves, and truthfully we too panicked to really think through how to get help.

I'd don't know that insisting would have gotten you help. We pretty much learned that we are on our own in the case of emergency and to have a plan.

THIS, however, is far far worse. I'm so sorry, and this absolutely is awful. I'm actually floored that this happened to you.

oh, I know all about the clothing options at WDW when you are desperate....:rotfl2: I once paid 12.00 for a pair of socks.....:scared1:

1. I read it as more of a "take a stand" and make it an issue of the CM seems to not be taking things seriously enough.

2. And yes, if a guest feels immediate medical[/] attention is needed, asking for it is appropriate. EMS is the responding unit as they are best equipped for medical emergencies. It doesn't mean they will haul you to a hospital or that a hospital is needed. But it helps to document the incident as well as get the medical assistance needed since the general thought is that the CMs were I'll equipped and improperly trained to meet the guest's needs.

3. I did have a random thought--Mission Space does indeed see a lot of vomiters. Do they have a custodian assigned there just for that or do CMs receive special training? I would think OSHA would have something to say about training to clean up a biohazard. Just wondering how it might be different at that attraction and whether maybe the CMs have more "compassion" training over there to readily provide appropriate (however one might define that) assistance to guests.

1. I didn't want to label the post as to maybe take this thread off on a different direction, though I think it already has.

2. Yes I would expect if you tell a CM that if you need an ambulance or medical assistance they should call the "Lead" and get them there. I'm not quite sure this situation called for that.

3. At DTD I once saw 3 CMs, that appeared to be management, with rubber gloves on next to a plastic tote that had a label on it that I don't remember the exact wording but I knew it was for a "protein spill" or other such "issues".

Our company used to transport people back and forth to the hospital for various treatments, some with ports. We had one mechanic that was the only one allowed to handle the situation but this was not for vomit.

I am not surprised, but not in a negative way.

No way for CMs to know anything other than this is a biohazard. No, the ride person isn't going to stop and clean it up--they will call some one to do that.

I don't think Disney should catch flack for not being quite as helpful as you think they should. It is not their duty to have clothing for sale conveniently in the off chance of your experience.

That said--first aid is where you can go next time. They will be helpful. They have folks trained for this sort if thing. I had a child that was repeatedly vomiting once. It was evident we needed to leave by the time I got to first aid to get her out of the crowds. They offered to get us a van and take us back to our resort. I had a real concern for my child and for other guests and we agreed that busses would be a very bad idea. So we had a free direct door to door ride back to our room. (Felt bad for the barber shop guests that day--this was our motion sickness puker. Once didn't make us flinch and we began dealing and I went to go buy her a replacement shirt. But the repeats sent us to first aid.)

It sounds like much time was wasted in hoping Disney would help you. In 6 hours, we would have opted to return to our room to finish cleaning up and assess if returning to the parks was a good idea. But again--with the resident puker (since she was 17 months old-all typically motion sickness)--we have gotten quite adept at managing the puke even when ill prepared to do so. That day was due to illness though, so all bets were off. But I didn't expect much from Disney. I don't expect much from anyone. So we headed to first aid where I expect medical assessment and opinion for triaging the situation.

It sounds like, aside from your hygiene issue, that you didn't think the vomiting was a medical issue when it essentially is--even if just a temporary hiccup in the day. I don't want a CM who is NOT custodial staff messing with the protein spill at all. I would prefer they treat it as a medical event and when the guest gives no indication assistance is needed, I don't expect them to insist you have it. By redirecting you to a different exit and keeping guests away from the vomit, they are doing their diligence of keeping other guests safe.

And in reality--once you were in the bathroom, I don't know what you expected fellow guests to do if you were not actively having a medical emergency. You said other guests didn't offer to help you? If you were where water, soap, and paper towels were available, what was your expectation of fellow guests? You say you had none but then commented on the customer service. I guess I am confused.

I'm not understanding what anyone could have done...

Your kid puked - clean them off and change their clothes. They directed you to a store and bathroom. YOU just didn't want to spend the $ on the items they had. Why not just return to your resort and change?

Did you expect them to give you free shorts and fastpasses?

here's my .02.... OP I think you expected too much. that ride cm suddenly had a biohazard to quarantine/get clean/reroute guests from the line issues to deal with at that moment. So maybe you caught them in an off moment there...you think?
Also, you and your dh spent a lot of time just being upset about the fact that this happened,rather than just taking yourselves to the nearest quiet spot and cleaning up. At that point, after the initial clean up, the offer of a bunch of napkins would be the only useful thing to have.
:confused3And side point if I were standing in a ladies room line, and you were behind me, in the state you describe with a sick baby, I would help you by handing you as many paper towels as I could, and directing you to go straight in,not waiting in a line,as you had an emergency cleanup happening.(I wouldn't want to hold the baby,sorry, but I would try to be helpful)Not sure why no one felt moved to help out, but anyway..:confused3
Then you could have either gone to the big store and spent money on the clothes they had there (yes, it happens) and they have just about everything in there,maybe not my personal faves, but wearable- -OR- gone straight back to your room,showered,and possibly come back later when you assessed the situation.( over the years,I've done both)
I'm not sure how it was anyone else's issue to have you traipsing all over WS covered in vomit looking sad,asking for...? what could anyone do?
I am just trying to provide a different viewpoint of events.... to a cm, they need to clean up what happened, and protect other guests from having to deal with it. That's their main job.
I realize that sympathy might have been nice but in reality there was nothing more they could do. Unless you hit up first aid,and asked for some pedialyte,or some such thing. I hope your next trip goes smoother, I know what it feels like to have this stuff happen! :wizard:

I agree completely with the PPs above who suggested that you should have simply returned to your resort to shower & change. If I were you, this would have been my intitial reaction, knowing that I didn't have a change of clothes with me and that clothing in the parks is ridiculously expensive. Traipsing around WS, MouseGear, the IG, to BW area would not have even crossed my mind. My thought process would have been: wipe off most of the mess from me & baby with napkins and/or wet paper towels, bus to my resort, bathe baby & change into new clothes, shower while DH monitors baby's symptoms in case it's something serious like food poisoning or the flu. Only after keeping an eye on my kid's sickness for a little while to ensure he's ok to return to the park would I feel comfortable going back to Epcot after this type of event.

I get wanting to get the most park time out of your vacation, but not at the sacrifice of your kid's well-being, your sanity, and the ick factor of walking around for 6 hours in puke-covered clothes. I mean, really, you need to weigh your options - would it really have been that much worse to actually just go back to your resort?

I haven't read all these posts, so sorry if you've already covered this one: Why not just go back to the room so your kid can rest for a bit? If he vomited that much, I'd be concerned that he was sick and not up to touring theme parks. There's no way I would have continued to go around the parks with my kid that threw up that much. You could have changed your clothes at your room rather than going around in them for 6 hours.

Did you ask ask any CMs for any specific help? I assume they would have needed to call in for janitorial help. Helping to clean off bodily fluids isn't really the safest thing to do without proper gear.

I think the only thing the CMs did wrong was not to sound sympathetic enough. The best you can do when puke or pee happens is to clean it up as best you can, and buy new clothes. A trek to the one First Aid station in the park would probably have been over-kill. And going to the nearest Companion Restroom may have not worked either, because odds are it would be occupied, and then you would be standing there for a while, covered in vomit.:scared: But I do understand being upset and flustered in the moment.

This is a lovely story (the response....not the initial event!), and I'm so glad that your DIL had this experience - which I would consider truly magical, in that situation!

To those who seemingly would have done something different in my situation, and feel the need to tell me exactly how, I don't feel terribly obligated to justify my feelings on how I was treated or how I should have been, more than I already have. That said, I'm certain some of you didn't actually read the whole thread, because I answered many of your questions ("What were you expecting from them?" and "Why didn't you return to your resort", for example) and concerns already.

However, as an additional example....

Lisa, I absolutely was not complaining about my fellow guests in the bathroom. If you go back and read the thread, I was responding to another poster who was questioning my avoiding eye contact with other guests when I got off the ride (because, it's embarassing to get puked on in public). That poster suggested that had I perhaps made eye contact with other guests, they would have been helpful and maybe even "offered to hold the baby". My response to that poster was that there's no way anyone would have - or should have - offered to hold my vomit-covered baby, and as an example of that, I gave the numerous other guests in the bathroom who were aware of the situation. My comment to "customer service" is that it's not the job of the other guests to provide excellent customer service - the Disney company, however, prides and markets itself on excellent customer service at its theme parks, so I would have expected more of that from CMs - NOT from other guests.

Read the thread, folks.

To those who asked about his sickness (I didn't respond to this one yet), and why I didn't take him out of the parks - he seemed otherwise completely fine and was acting normal. Given that he was eating a lot of weird things on vacation that he doesn't normally eat, I figured it was something he ate.

To the sympathetic posters, thank you for your sincere support and kind responses!

(To the comment about baby wipes....I'd love to know what kind of baby wipes you used. Indeed, I had them. And used them. Lots of them. But my kind of baby wipes do not get vomit stuck in zippers and seams and pockets very well. I apparently have been using the wrong kind of baby wipes all along....)

Thank you for highlighting my response as an example and actually clarifying what you meant. I was confused. That happens sometimes. And that is okay and not in need of an admonishment.:goodvibes

I do still stand by my own personal experience with a serial vomiter. I guess I just don't expect much except facilities and that any messes that require proper clean up by staff are indeed cleaned up SAFELY. We has a vomit in a food court. As helpful as a CM tried to be, he was clearly not trained in biohazard sanitation. I expect more mechanical responses to properly contain and remedy the dnsger to other guests. I was horrified when he proceeded to throw towels down and cleanup without even any gloves. A manager rushed over and immediately stopped him.

Should you have been scowled at? No. That is never appropriate. Crap happens and while I don't expect CMs to toss a pixie dust smile in such instances, reacting as though an involuntary act of a vomiting child was somehow my personal master plan of ruining their day won't ever be acceptable.

But I still stand by my puzzlement as to some of your own reactions--doesn't mean I am grumpy or unsympathetic--it just seemed that simply taking charge with what you had immediately available would have gone a long way towards what your overall experience would have been that day. Face it--vomiting is an inconvenient nuisance no matter what.

For example: why was an ordinary bathroom insufficient and why your husband didn't take your son freeing you to clean yourself up. I do think that is a legitimate question in that doesn't expect you to justify your feelings of how you were treated--but rather addresses a missed opportunity to a quicker remedy.

And being stuck wearing puke clothing--sounds like you had park hopping plans anyway--I would have just said forget it and headed back to the RV

But again, lots of experience with vomiting kids, courtesy of the child with the weak vestibular system. I was first puked on on a transatlantic flight to London. That was lots of fun. Not. But I don't condemn British Airways for handling it without pixie dust. They got me what I asked for--but beyond that, very little they could do a few miles above the Atlantic. I guess I have low expectations of employees of any company of any customer service level. I find it my respsonsibility unless there is incapacitation involved and then I expect appropriate and immediate medical assistance.

It wasn't that I felt a need to share-but having walking many miles in your shoes including specifically at Disney World, I felt I could contribute to the conversation.

You asked if you were crazy.

So folks will respond with maybe what they would have thought in your shoes and those responses may not be to your liking.

And, it seems, all posters were kind enough to not actually offer an answer for that question as most assume of was facetious. But it did invite an opportunity to look at your situation through a different set of lenses.

I don't think you were crazy. I do think that you could have reacted better and more efficiently despite any short comings you experienced from the staff.

I was also puked on by my then 8 month old back in 2006. We were waiting at the doors just before you enter Honey I Shrunk the Audience with a sea of people behind us. I caught it all on me and a blanket huddled under us to limit any mess (nothing on the floor, but my hair and shirt were drenched. The doors were still closed with no CM in sight so I had to excuse my way out through the crowd. Excuse me baby puked followed by an "ah" and then "ew" once they saw us. It was like the parting of the Red Sea.

My issue is when I finally got out was approaching 3 CMs who were chatting with each other. I politely interrupted and asked the location of the closest restroom. They didn't even make eye contact, they just kept and said no. Really? I'm covered in puke here. They just continued to talk and I finally found a non-CM to ask.

I did not expect clothes but some eye contact would have been nice. It was moms that came to my rescue in the bathroom, including a mom who went and bought me a shirt and disappeared before I could pay her.

Anyways, clothing you cannot expect everyone to have knowledge on or if they do that its in a price range that you would be happy with. I'm sorry for your inconvenience and feeling of not being assisted but I would have gone back to my hotel or paid the high price if that was to inconvenient.

and break in conversation would have been nice.

:thumbsup2
Thank you for highlighting my response as an example and actually clarifying what you meant. I was confused. That happens sometimes. And that is okay and not in need of an admonishment.:goodvibes

I do still stand by my own personal experience with a serial vomiter. I guess I just don't expect much except facilities and that any messes that require proper clean up by staff are indeed cleaned up SAFELY. We has a vomit in a food court. As helpful as a CM tried to be, he was clearly not trained in biohazard sanitation. I expect more mechanical responses to properly contain and remedy the dnsger to other guests. I was horrified when he proceeded to throw towels down and cleanup without even any gloves. A manager rushed over and immediately stopped him.

Should you have been scowled at? No. That is never appropriate. Crap happens and while I don't expect CMs to toss a pixie dust smile in such instances, reacting as though an involuntary act of a vomiting child was somehow my personal master plan of ruining their day won't ever be acceptable.

But I still stand by my puzzlement as to some of your own reactions--doesn't mean I am grumpy or unsympathetic--it just seemed that simply taking charge with what you had immediately available would have gone a long way towards what your overall experience would have been that day. Face it--vomiting is an inconvenient nuisance no matter what.

For example: why was an ordinary bathroom insufficient and why your husband didn't take your son freeing you to clean yourself up. I do think that is a legitimate question in that doesn't expect you to justify your feelings of how you were treated--but rather addresses a missed opportunity to a quicker remedy.

And being stuck wearing puke clothing--sounds like you had park hopping plans anyway--I would have just said forget it and headed back to the RV

But again, lots of experience with vomiting kids, courtesy of the child with the weak vestibular system. I was first puked on on a transatlantic flight to London. That was lots of fun. Not. But I don't condemn British Airways for handling it without pixie dust. They got me what I asked for--but behind they, very little they could do a few miles above the Atlantic. I guess I have low expectations of employees of any company of any customer service level. I find it my respsonsibility unless there is incapacitation involved and then I expect appropriate and immediate medical assistance.

It wasn't that I felt a need to share-but having walking many miles in your shoes including specifically at Disney World, I felt I could contribute to the conversation.

You asked if you were crazy.

So folks will respond with maybe what they would have thought in your shoes and those responses may not be to your liking.

And, it seems, all posters were kind enough to not actually offer an answer for that question as most assume of was facetious. But it did invite an opportunity to look at your situation through a different set of lenses.

I don't think you were crazy. I do think that you could have reacted better and more efficiently despite any short comings you experienced from the staff.

I totally understand losing all rational thought and problem solving skills in the midst of a bodily fluid crisis. I think it has happened to all parents. :-)

However, I also know that in the heat of the moment your expectations of the CM's might be unrealistic. It sounds like you were expecting an escort to a private restroom and a free change of clothes and to have CM's falling all over you. With as crowded as the parks are today and the number of guests expecting/demanding pixie dust, as well as the number of sue-happy guests that will go after Disney for stupid reasons, CM's just can't give that level of individualized attention to each guest that has an issue. Sad, but true.

I agree completely with the PPs above who suggested that you should have simply returned to your resort to shower & change. If I were you, this would have been my intitial reaction, knowing that I didn't have a change of clothes with me and that clothing in the parks is ridiculously expensive. Traipsing around WS, MouseGear, the IG, to BW area would not have even crossed my mind. My thought process would have been: wipe off most of the mess from me & baby with napkins and/or wet paper towels, bus to my resort, bathe baby & change into new clothes, shower while DH monitors baby's symptoms in case it's something serious like food poisoning or the flu. Only after keeping an eye on my kid's sickness for a little while to ensure he's ok to return to the park would I feel comfortable going back to Epcot after this type of event.

I get wanting to get the most park time out of your vacation, but not at the sacrifice of your kid's well-being, your sanity, and the ick factor of walking around for 6 hours in puke-covered clothes. I mean, really, you need to weigh your options - would it really have been that much worse to actually just go back to your resort?

I agree with all of the above. OP chose not to purchase new clothes, all of which were available to her, she just didn't like the price and chose not to go back to the resort to shower, change clothes and clean up the baby.

Just a caution, we had an emergency situation while in the parks. My son overheated, and had what we now know is a type of seizure (it basically looked like a bad meltdown, but it wasn't). My mother and I asked seven different CM to call 911 or the EMTs. All we got were directions to First Aid. We couldn't get reception at that time to call ourselves, and truthfully we too panicked to really think through how to get help.

I'd don't know that insisting would have gotten you help. We pretty much learned that we are on our own in the case of emergency and to have a plan.

Yeah, that is bad. Very bad.

OP, it really does sound like your own reaction and response to this event was a bit dramatic. Yes, it sucks when your kid pukes on you. Yes, it's gross. However, you had plenty of resources available to you and it seems like you expected a response team to swoop in and magically fix everything for you. You are the parent and it was your own kid that did this. Now, if someone ELSE's kid puked on you, I might expect a bit more in terms of CMs being of assistance.

My potty trained 4 year old once finished a CS lunch at a Disney resort, stood up on his chair, and straight up peed himself. I had a small amount of wipes on me, NO extra clothes or anything. I ended up spending $95 in the resort gift shop on a pack of underwear, socks, a t shirt and pants. Yes, he managed to get pee on his shirt. Don't ask me how. I ALMOST bought him new sneakers, but I stopped short of that and he had to endure the next hour in pee soaked shoes. It sucked, but it was a lesson learned.

Frankly, if that had happened to me, I would have paid a king's ransom for clean clothes. I wouldn't have even looked at the prices. Get me out of the vomit covered clothes a.s.a.p. I would have gone to mouse gear, bought the first set of clothing that might come close to fitting, changed in the fitting room, and taken the tags to the register with the clothes on my back. And then I would have gone back to my resort and really cleaned up, with a shower.

And I also would have apologized profusely to the CM at the Land Boat ride. I would have felt terrible.

OP you weren't crazy...you were overwhelmed. Sure, we have all heard the stories of how a CM whisked someone away to a nice private A/C spot with washcloths and a sink and music playing, and then presents the person with a shiny new set of clothes and a stuffed animal for the kid...but that isn't the norm.

You were freaked out, and not thinking clearly (otherwise you would have either hopped a bus back to the resort immediately or plunked down the money on new clothes). The CM's told you where the bathrooms were and offered napkins. That's about the extent of what they are supposed to do. I do agree they could have presented themselves to be more sympathetic, as that would have gone a long way towards ameliorating your personal situation.

Lesson learned...always be packing extra clothes!

Not a vomit story but a poop story, the first time we went our son was one and for some reason would move his bowels at dinner time. One night at 50s Primetime, he really let loose, so I took him to the bathroom to get cleaned up and found out he went right through his diaper and jeans and all over his socks. Luckily it was January and alittle cold so I took off my extra shirt and wrapped it around him. I told my husband I was going to find him a pair of pants. I thought this can't be hard we are in HS there are a ton of stores and he is little, they have to have baby pants. First store we went in I asked a CM do you have pants for little kids, you would have thought I asked her for her first born. The look on her face but they did have sweatpants, problem solved. I am sorry for your situation, alittle compassion goes along way.

OP you weren't crazy...you were overwhelmed. Sure, we have all heard the stories of how a CM whisked someone away to a nice private A/C spot with washcloths and a sink and music playing, and then presents the person with a shiny new set of clothes and a stuffed animal for the kid...but that isn't the norm.

You were freaked out, and not thinking clearly (otherwise you would have either hopped a bus back to the resort immediately or plunked down the money on new clothes). The CM's told you where the bathrooms were and offered napkins. That's about the extent of what they are supposed to do. I do agree they could have presented themselves to be more sympathetic, as that would have gone a long way towards ameliorating your personal situation.

Lesson learned...always be packing extra clothes!

This ^

And of course hind sight is always 20/20 on these kinds of threads. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter