As someone that's over weight I can only imagine how she felt

When I was a pre-school teacher for 11 years, I had parents that didn't want to put their children in a classroom that the teacher wasn't bilingual. I didn't really care about that, didn't hurt my feelings, but this is just down right rude.

Tink, I never look at what people wear or look like. I am very over weight. I can't worry about what people think. I do know I don't feel comfortable about my weight. But if someone is taking care of kids and doing their job, is all that matters. The mother is teaching their own kids that being over weight is a problem. Not a good thing to teach your children.

Tink you don't look over weight. I wish I could be about your size. How how wonderful it would feel.

Good grief! :sad2: And then to read she has struggled with weight herself. I do hope she kept herself away from small children during that time since she believes that children being around overweight adults is such a bad example. Lol And what is she going to do if a friend or relative becomes overweight? Sorry honey you can't see grandma anymore because she has put on a few pounds. I feel very sorry for her daughter whose whole self esteem is going to come from a number on a scale.

Being obese does affect one's ability to do their job to the best of their ability in many cases. While it may be insensitive or offensive to some, I don't have an issue with the decision the parent made. If I were looking for a daycare for my child, I wouldn't choose one with all obese people if I was concerned about their ability to keep up with the children. There is nothing wrong with that.

I do not believe in fat shaming (or skinny shaming, or other kinds of public shaming) people. I also do not believe it is okay to glamorize it or pretend there isn't an obesity epidemic. If someone who is obese feels comfortable with the way they are, that is fine, but I would not teach my child that being obese is healthy. It's possible to teach kids about being healthy without body shaming but it's also important they learn what is unhealthy.

Being obese does affect one's ability to do their job to the best of their ability in many cases. While it may be insensitive or offensive to some, I don't have an issue with the decision the parent made. If I were looking for a daycare for my child, I wouldn't choose one with all obese people if I was concerned about their ability to keep up with the children. There is nothing wrong with that.

I do not believe in fat shaming (or skinny shaming, or other kinds of public shaming) people. I also do not believe it is okay to glamorize it or pretend there isn't an obesity epidemic. If someone who is obese feels comfortable with the way they are, that is fine, but I would not teach my child that being obese is healthy. It's possible to teach kids about being healthy without body shaming but it's also important they learn what is unhealthy.

I hear you but I have to believe from personal experience parents don't know what habits staff members are trying to break so they can loss weight or new habits they are trying to acquire

Me I am working in steps to drink water only but it takes steps in my case what I am doing

Is going from soda to flavor water hopefully it well be non flavored soon

And now that my energy is back I am working on going back to the gym

Point I try to only advertise good habits in front of the kids and indulge at home

I also agree with the article. When I was pregnant with my children, my Dr.s all had me watch my weight and told me various possible consequences if I didn't. Now, my Dr. rarely mentions the weight issue at all because they're so afraid of offending (or being politically correct).

I have always had a weight issue and have been conscious of my weight as I'm only 5' 1/2". Dh & I have been retired many years, but we both still exercise. I do structured exercise 45min 2-3 times a week and keep my calorie intake about 1,200-1,500 (which, trust me, is not all I'd like). I 'will' not be obese no matter the cost. It pays off with healthy heart, sugar, BP & cholesterol in correct measurements. A few years ago let myself gain 30lbs. Nothing about me was healthy (I was even borderline obese even with that gain), so I know how hard losing weight is.

So, no, I don't consider this being fat shamming at all. Yes, she wrote the article, 'but' she did not call names, not make a big deal out of changing her daughter's nursery school, or teach her daughter disrespect in any way - she is wanting positive roll models for her, and that is something I can admire. She's not teaching her daughter a thing about shaming obese people - she's a toddler, after all.

People do not have to 'agree' with different points of view, but we can at least respect other's decisions and not take it personally. Being healthy as possible is my #1 directive.

I also agree with the article. When I was pregnant with my children, my Dr.s all had me watch my weight and told me various possible consequences if I didn't. Now, my Dr. rarely mentions the weight issue at all because they're so afraid of offending (or being politically correct).

I have always had a weight issue and have been conscious of my weight as I'm only 5' 1/2". Dh & I have been retired many years, but we both still exercise. I do structured exercise 45min 2-3 times a week and keep my calorie intake about 1,200-1,500 (which, trust me, is not all I'd like). I 'will' not be obese no matter the cost. It pays off with healthy heart, sugar, BP & cholesterol in correct measurements. A few years ago let myself gain 30lbs. Nothing about me was healthy (I was even borderline obese even with that gain), so I know how hard losing weight is.

So, no, I don't consider this being fat shamming at all. Yes, she wrote the article, 'but' she did not call names, not make a big deal out of changing her daughter's nursery school, or teach her daughter disrespect in any way - she is wanting positive roll models for her, and that is something I can admire. She's not teaching her daughter a thing about shaming obese people - she's a toddler, after all.

People do not have to 'agree' with different points of view, but we can at least respect other's decisions and not take it personally. Being healthy as possible is my #1 directive.

I hear you

And I well repeat what I said earlier kids mimic teachers heck I was guilty of doing it as a kid and it does not take a parent to relize that is one reason to keep only positive role models in a kids life

I'm sorry I don't believe being skinny or overweight affects your ability to care for a child.

She's entitled to her opinion and choice in caregivers (I don't know why she felt she had to share it, except that now she's getting all the attention she craves).

The problem I have is that she, and so many others, are quick to judge the health of overweight people but not anyone else. Will she do background checks or quiz slender caregivers to be certain they eat healthy, don't drink, don't smoke, and get regular exercise? Those poor habits aren't as apparent to others as being overweight is. A concern for "health" only when someone is fat more about visual appeal.

This entire article just makes me cringe.

Here's what matters to me most as a parent, looking for a caregiver for my child:

"The nursery assistant was clearly a lovely woman: kind and great with children."

This could actually be a legitimate concern for me:

"She moved slowly and breathlessly, her face flushed."

But, I'd want to spend more time observing, as - to me - "kind and great with children" is SO incredibly important, that I can easily see embracing a caregiver with all sorts of physical disabilities, especially if other caregivers are there to prevent the children from leaping out the windows.

And, even if I did decide that the caregivers, as a group, weren't physically capable of riding herd on my unusually suicidal little maniac, I'd still never write a huge long, "let's talk about obesity" article about it. Because in doing so, I'd have all but named and shamed that woman I just called "lovely". I may have even put her job in jeopardy. I've implied that parents who care about their children, won't let fat people look after them.

In writing a piece like that, I'd be outright stating that "normal weight" is FAR more important than "kind and great with children".

And I just don't think that's true.

My earliest memory of a daycare provider is of a very, very fat woman. As far as I ever knew, her name was "Miss", and I adored her. She had the most remarkably enormous rear end, which I can remember clearly even to this day. Any chance I got, I'd follow her from room to room, while she pushed a trolley of craft supplies.

I'm in my 40's now. I am thin and healthy (as I have always been), and as far as I know, the only thing she ever inspired in me was a passionate love for craft supplies.

:hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter