Arizona/Utah May 2016 Trip Report: Completed 5/26/17

We could not have asked for nicer weather during our week last year. If there is a heat sensitivity concern, I would recommend going early in the season. This does not guarantee there won't be a weird heatwave as we had temps in the 90s here for two days last week preceded and followed by temps in the 60s and 70s.

we are booked for the may 16 departure. There are a few trips before then, but not adults only. As two adults with no children, we tend to gravitate towards adult trips. I am hoping the heat won't be unmanageable that week in may. I tend to do ok until high 80s, then I have a trouble cooling off.

Day 5 - continued

It was another 3 hours from Monument Valley to Moab. I loved the opportunity to sit back, relax, and watch all of the beautiful scenery. If we weren't playing a game with Casey, most of us were pretty quiet, enjoying this down time.

We arrived at the Red Cliffs Lodge, got our room assignments, and headed off in our respective directions. The parents, triplets, and mother-daughter duo had rooms on the corral side; the grandparents and my husband and I had rooms on the river side. Here are photos from outside the back of our room:

Red Cliffs 1.JPG

Red Cliffs 2.JPG

Red Cliffs 3.JPG

Again, pictures do not do this location justice.

For our first night, we had another southwestern themed buffet dinner. Food was very good and filling. Casey took a few minutes to acknowledge that the grandparents were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and gave them special pins to commemorate. The grandmother was also celebrating her birthday on this trip. Such sweet people, and we were glad to be sharing these occasions with them.

After dinner, Casey had cooked up a surprise with the daughter from the duo. The daughter is a line dancer, and the two of them had us get up and do some dancing.

Line Dancing.jpg

Once dinner was finished, we took our dirty laundry to the laundry room, which is located near the swimming pool. It was inexpensive to do wash, but we found the dryers to be weak (even after cleaning the filters). We had to hang/drape our damp clothes all around our room.

Speaking of our room, we loved the layout (no photos for some reason, but sayhello has them in her trip report). When you walked in, the closet and bathroom were on the right. Just past that was a king-sized bed and a TV on a swivel stand. There was also a bench and plenty of room to store things. To the left of the bed was a desk area, and past the desk were a couple of steps down to a sitting/kitchen area. Off of that was our patio, which had those amazing views above. We finished laundry pretty late and had an early start the next day for our trip into Arches National Park. Time to get some zzzZZZzzzs.

Last edited:
I forgot to ask about the level of activity for the hikes. How long were the hikes typically?

The hike in Sedona at the Enchantment is pretty easy. It's all dirt, but it's a well-defined path. The incline is gradual and a nice way to build up to the next two hikes. I think we were out for around 90 minutes with the hike up, taking photos, and the hike back.

Bright Angel Trail in the Grand Canyon is the same trail used by the mules. It is also all dirt, but there are rocks and ledge-type steps that you navigate. We all wore athletic shoes for it. You spent a lot of time looking at the path so that you don't accidentally trip. You will take some rest breaks going down and coming back up. This one was a bit steeper than Sedona, and we added the extra part on our own.

The hike to Delicate Arch is coming up, but it is a combination of rock and dirt. There are level points on the way up so you don't feel like you are constantly going up. We also found ourselves climbing over larger rocks.

we are booked for the may 16 departure. There are a few trips before then, but not adults only. As two adults with no children, we tend to gravitate towards adult trips. I am hoping the heat won't be unmanageable that week in may. I tend to do ok until high 80s, then I have a trouble cooling off.

The fluctuating temps I mentioned earlier took place here in the NY/NJ area. When we were on this trip, we had cool mornings and evenings in Sedona and the Grand Canyon, comfortable temperatures there in the afternoon, warmer in Monument Valley, and back to comfortable in Moab. Mid-May should be fine.

The hike in Sedona at the Enchantment is pretty easy. It's all dirt, but it's a well-defined path. The incline is gradual and a nice way to build up to the next two hikes. I think we were out for around 90 minutes with the hike up, taking photos, and the hike back.

Bright Angel Trail in the Grand Canyon is the same trail used by the mules. It is also all dirt, but there are rocks and ledge-type steps that you navigate. We all wore athletic shoes for it. You spent a lot of time looking at the path so that you don't accidentally trip. You will take some rest breaks going down and coming back up. This one was a bit steeper than Sedona, and we added the extra part on our own.

The hike to Delicate Arch is coming up, but it is a combination of rock and dirt. There are level points on the way up so you don't feel like you are constantly going up. We also found ourselves climbing over larger rocks.

The fluctuating temps I mentioned earlier took place here in the NY/NJ area. When we were on this trip, we had cool mornings and evenings in Sedona and the Grand Canyon, comfortable temperatures there in the afternoon, warmer in Monument Valley, and back to comfortable in Moab. Mid-May should be fine.

Thank you. Feeling better about my decision already. Now just have to wait 12 months. Ugh, the worst part. Keep the t/r coming, that helps pass the time. And thanks.

Day 6 - Moab/Arches National Park

Did you ever have a time when you didn't know you really wanted something until you actually experienced it? Well, I think that was the consensus for our group on this day.

We got up early and had breakfast at the restaurant at the Red Cliffs Lodge. It was served buffet style, and there was a good selection of food options. I mistakenly set myself up for round 2 of digestive issues.

After eating we jumped on the bus and headed out. We picked up Preston, our step-on guide, along the way. Casey set us up for the worst "prank" on Preston. Yeah, like he hadn't been through that joke a bunch of times prior. Preston was awesome. He had so much knowledge, told us a funny story about the filming of Thelma and Louise, and made sure we had plenty of water to drink. Loved his sense of humor!

Once we got to Arches National Park, our group split. The grandparents and the mother from the duo stayed on the bus with Preston, and they did a tour through the park. The rest of us went with Casey to hike to Delicate Arch. Now I was getting excited because it was at this point I realized how much I wanted to do this. Time for me to share another personal story. Fifteen months prior to this trip I was the heaviest weight I had ever been in my life (spent most of my life overweight/obese). I worked with a dietician and stepped up my workouts and lost over 120 lbs. in a year. I was in good physical shape now, and I was ready for this hike.

We made it up the first incline, and my body just said No. I could not believe it was happening. The effect of breakfast plus the sudden change in temperature from an air-conditioned bus to the warm temperature outside got to me. I stopped and told my husband I had to go back to use the restroom (aka long drop--a fancy brick outhouse). Casey got concerned that I needed medical attention, but I reassured her this was a normal thing for me. My husband wanted to go with me, and I told him that he had to keep going for both of us. I headed back down the path to wait on the long line for the restroom (boy, that was brutal) while they began their ascent.

When I finally finished, I thought about how much I wanted to do this hike. Then I got mad. And that drove me to do the hike on my own. I had a bottle of water in each hand and took off. I asked a few people on the path whether there was more than one way to come back down because I didn't want to miss my group in case they finished before I met up with them. I kept moving forward. I took one quick break to have some water, I followed a family on the path that had us going the wrong way (had to climb down rocks to get back on path), and I kept going. The path is pretty well defined, and there are signs along the way so you really cannot get lost.

When I reached the top and came around the bend, there was my group! I noticed my husband first because he was wearing his bright blue DVC hat. I casually walked up and surprised them. Casey asked me if I had run uphill because they had only arrived there shortly before I did. Before I got there, she had them pose for some pictures. She had my husband try and imitate the arch (I thought he was doing the downward dog pose):

Dan as the Arch.jpg

Your determined hiker:

Me after hike.jpg

Both of us under the Delicate Arch. (Note that there is a drop off on your right as you are walking to stand under the arch--it's a bowl formation. My husband, the one afraid of heights, was fine with this.)

Under Delicate Arch.jpg

We hiked back as a group to meet up with the grandparents, the mother, Preston, and Courtney. There is a small path that leads to some Native carvings:

Arches Indian Carvings.JPG

Once back on the bus, we headed to the place where we would have lunch and take a jet boat ride. Neither of us can recall the name of the place, but I believe there was also a small hotel on the premises.

Casey told us that this place served the best French fries and cookies. We'll give her a half point for that statement. Those fries were the best we've ever had, but the cookies were not. They were GOOD, but not the BEST.

After lunch we headed out the back of the restaurant to the dock where we were met by Andrew (different than Grand Canyon Andrew). He was our jet boat captain, and he had as much of a warped sense of humor as we do. The guy played the theme to Deliverance as we were riding along. His narration of the area was factual, but his sense of humor was incorporated as needed. Here are some of the photos from that ride:

Jet Boat Group.jpg

Jet Boat Ride1.JPG

(More arches from the boat)
Jet Boat Ride2.JPG

Jet Boat Ride3.JPG Jet Boat Ride4.JPG

Jet Boat Ride5.JPG

This was not the end of our day. Casey had a surprise for us after our jet boat ride. She had given a couple of us a heads up right after our Delicate Arch hike. The male triplet had been asking about dinosaurs pretty much from the start of the adventure, and he was about to get a treat.

Last edited:
Day 6 - continued

After boarding the bus, Casey dropped her surprise. We were going to a relatively new park called Moab Giants, and it was all about dinosaurs. We had about 90 minutes here so we went through the dino trail pretty quickly, but we had time for some fun photos. I loved this place. I'm the one who thinks the Jurassic Park movies are holiday films.

Moab Giants1.jpg Moab Giants2.jpg

Moab Giants3.JPG

Moab Giants4.JPG

Moab Giants5.JPG

We made a quick stop in the town of Moab. Got our magnet from the visitor's center. Casey had recommended a store for water shoes. My husband, triplets' mom, and I walked over there as he thought he might get a pair and she had family members who needed them. Well, apparently the stores there do not work like the stores here. It was closed for Memorial Day. My husband would have to make due with a pair of sneakers and no socks for rafting.

This concludes our day 6 adventures. Dinner that night was at the Red Cliffs Lodge restaurant. The mother-daughter duo joined us, and then we invited them to check the view from our room after dinner. (Our damp clothes had already dried and been packed away.) Tomorrow would be another full day of activities and our last full adventure day.

Last edited:

I'm very much enjoying your trip report. The views from Red Cliffs Lodge look stunning! I definitely want to do this trip one day. I'm a big John Wayne fan as well, and to see Monument Valley would be incredible.

I'm very much enjoying your trip report. The views from Red Cliffs Lodge look stunning! I definitely want to do this trip one day. I'm a big John Wayne fan as well, and to see Monument Valley would be incredible.

Thanks! I noticed that the 2018 itinerary has changed. Instead of the 3 hour-Monument Valley stop-3 hour-Moab day, they are now spending a night in Monument Valley. However, this means they are sacrificing one night in Moab. I mentioned this to my husband, and we both agreed that we would have loved an overnight in Monument Valley without giving up the third night at the Red Cliffs Lodge.

Thank you for the update. Yeah for you doing the hike! That had to be the best feeling. I do have a question can you request your room to face the river? I really want this view so I don't know if I should request this or talk to guide when we meet. Thank you.

Thanks! I noticed that the 2018 itinerary has changed. Instead of the 3 hour-Monument Valley stop-3 hour-Moab day, they are now spending a night in Monument Valley. However, this means they are sacrificing one night in Moab. I mentioned this to my husband, and we both agreed that we would have loved an overnight in Monument Valley without giving up the third night at the Red Cliffs Lodge.

That just sounds amazing. Sounds like maybe the way to do it now is add a post night in Moab.

Thank you for the update. Yeah for you doing the hike! That had to be the best feeling. I do have a question can you request your room to face the river? I really want this view so I don't know if I should request this or talk to guide when we meet. Thank you.

How many are in your travel party? It seems like singles and those who are couples get the river view (king beds) while families and groups who need more than one bed are on the corral side. I'm sure you could make the request if you only need a king-sized bed. We did not know this going into the trip so it was a great surprise to see that view of the Colorado River.

Also, your rafting trip takes you right past here so at times you will see people floating by in their rafts. There are companies that do half-day and whole day trips that stop at the Red Cliffs Lodge for lunch. I will be writing about that in day 7.

That just sounds amazing. Sounds like maybe the way to do it now is add a post night in Moab.

This ABD departs Moab as a group so you would need to have some other type of transportation to get you to Grand Junction (about 90 minutes away) or do the drive to Denver or Salt Lake City (and allow the time for it). Might make for a nice road trip, but check rental car clauses because you'll be picking up in UT and possibly dropping off out of state.

How many are in your travel party? It seems like singles and those who are couples get the river view (king beds) while families and groups who need more than one bed are on the corral side. I'm sure you could make the request if you only need a king-sized bed. We did not know this going into the trip so it was a great surprise to see that view of the Colorado River.

Also, your rafting trip takes you right past here so at times you will see people floating by in their rafts. There are companies that do half-day and whole day trips that stop at the Red Cliffs Lodge for lunch. I will be writing about that in day 7.

We are a family of 4 in 1 room. Shoot I was hoping for this view but since we have 4 I doubt we get this. That is ok but just a bummer.

We are a family of 4 in 1 room. Shoot I was hoping for this view but since we have 4 I doubt we get this. That is ok but just a bummer.

This area is open to the whole resort so you can walk back there, and the restaurant has outdoor tables that also overlook the river. You have a few opportunities to enjoy the view. We never made it to the corral side to see the horses, but the kids absolutely loved being over there and giving them apples.

When we did this trip the only time we were in the room was to shower and sleep. Beautiful views from many spots on the property. Love your pictures Chirple.

While the corral view is not as spectacular as the river view, it is pretty & peaceful.

This was my first trip of this type. I was a little sad not to have a river view like almost everyone else - except for a family of 3 and the Guides. When I expressed my dismay, the Guides were all "Do you want us to see if we can get you moved?" and I didn't want to trouble them. (Hey, I said I was new at this. The only other group trip I'd taken was tent camping!) And I didn't want to act like it wasn't good enough for me since the Guides were staying there, too. (Hey, newbie! ;) ) I did enjoy the room, and had multiple times I went over to the river side to wander or have a wine party...

That said, if I was to do it again, I'd say "Yes, please, see if you can get me moved!" I think the Red Cliffs Lodge thought I was a man traveling by himself who wouldn't care. :)

P1030244_zpss2pdw00u.jpg

Sayhello

I heard from Casey today. She said that someone on one of her adventures mentioned that they had heard about her on the Disboards, and she said it sounded like it came from my husband and me. (It was all complimentary.) Did we really help someone?

My 8 year old would love to go to that dinosaur park! It sounds like it was a deviation from the itinerary. Is it something that could be done during on your own time if the adventure guide doesn't include it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter