Arizona & Utah: Cowboys & Canyons (formerly Southwest Splendors) Meets Thread

We did just that being renting a car at Grand Junction and driving into Utah to do the "Big 5" National Parks. The rental was not too expensive and we went back to Grand Junction and flew to Chicago and then home to Vt. It was our original plan to rent in Grand Junction and drop off at Las Vegas but none of the rental companies would allow that plan. I guess it casts too much to get the cars back to G.J..

We did just that being renting a car at Grand Junction and driving into Utah to do the "Big 5" National Parks. The rental was not too expensive and we went back to Grand Junction and flew to Chicago and then home to Vt. It was our original plan to rent in Grand Junction and drop off at Las Vegas but none of the rental companies would allow that plan. I guess it casts too much to get the cars back to G.J..
It may also have been because you were going to return it in a different State. I've found car rental companies are not happy about it when it comes to you dropping your car (and sometimes, even driving them!) in another State. I've had them charge me extra to drive into another State.

Sayhello

It may also have been because you were going to return it in a different State. I've found car rental companies are not happy about it when it comes to you dropping your car (and sometimes, even driving them!) in another State. I've had them charge me extra to drive into another State.

Sayhello

The rentals at the airport flatly denied us any option of returning in Las Vegas. One person told me that all their cars ended up in Las Vegas and it was too costly to drive them back. We drove in Co., Utah and Arizona when we traveled but we couldn't return in Las Vegas. Good thing really because I am REALLY unlucky in any of those gambling games...lol....I would have "lost my shirt".

Does anyone have advice on flying home? I see they say book a flight out of Grand Junction at the end of trip. Those flights are few and far between. Has anyone figured out a way to drive to Denver or Salt Lake City to fly out of a major airport? The difficulty in getting home may be a deal breaker for us.
We are planning on renting a car in a Grand Junction and enjoying the drive to Denver. Flights out of Denver are about a third of the price for us flying back into Florida than a flight from Grand Junction.

Well, I finally got my flights worked out on two different airlines so that I can fly out of GJT. Meantime, my flight into Phoenix was scheduled to land at 12:26 when I booked it. ABD says flights must arrive by 12:30. Just heard from AA that flight time is now changed to land at 12:56. ABD is basically telling me they will leave without me and I am responsible to get to first hotel and miss first excursion. Either that or I should fly in the day before and incur the cost of a pre-night airport hotel stay.

Well, I finally got my flights worked out on two different airlines so that I can fly out of GJT. Meantime, my flight into Phoenix was scheduled to land at 12:26 when I booked it. ABD says flights must arrive by 12:30. Just heard from AA that flight time is now changed to land at 12:56. ABD is basically telling me they will leave without me and I am responsible to get to first hotel and miss first excursion. Either that or I should fly in the day before and incur the cost of a pre-night airport hotel stay.
I highly recommend going the day before and staying at the Drury Hotel. They have a free shuttle to and from the airport. It's close and they have free breakfast. Then I found out that the ABD tour guides stay there the night before also. If you opt to go to the Enchantment Resort on your own you will miss a lot as they stop on the way and won't get in till evening. You will be rested and refreshed and not stressed about arriving on time. It was advice given to me and I would never fly to join the group the day of the tour. It was good sound advice and worth the extra $$. Booked through Travelocity. I am so jealous. It was our best vacation ever

I posted this on another thread but going to ask here too. Do you think we could make a 1:40 flight out of Denver on departure day? Frontier is having an excellent sale right now and straight through to our home is only 69.00. I am concerned we wouldn't make it to Denver on time. GJ is triple the cost and triple the time to get home.

BTW we are booked for the July 5th departure date. It will be me, DH, DS 15 and DS 13. I have been looking forward to this trip for a very long time. It's our first ABD.

We are signed up for the June 12 trip. It's our first ABD and I am very excited. It will be my husband, my 7 year old son, my 70 year old father-in-law and myself. Anyone else on this trip? I would love to meet some families on here that are going, especially if they have young children.

We are booked for May 24 - pretty sure are ours are the only kids (8 and 6) booked for this small group.. at least the last time I checked!

Make your reservations for El Tovar for dining at the Canyon as soon as possible if you want a fine dining experience on your own time. The spots fill up quickly and ABD has a limited number. Really good food in my experience.

Make your reservations for El Tovar for dining at the Canyon as soon as possible if you want a fine dining experience on your own time. The spots fill up quickly and ABD has a limited number. Really good food in my experience.

Is it appropriate for 15 and 13 year old boys who are picky and don't like dressing up? LOL

It is a sit down , white napkin type of dinner. There is a large dining hall that has multiple "stations" that serve sandwiches, pasta, salads, cheeseburgers etc. located next to the canyon cafeteria style which is very casual. The food was pretty good when we were there. Probably a good choice for the kids. There is a great ice cream shop that is located close to the hotel that is a blessing when the sun and heat beats you all day.\

If you are staying at the Maswik Lodge as we did last May, the cafeteria-style eatery is located there. We had our dinner there instead of El Tovar. The ice cream shop is on the rim. Best chocolate ice cream I have ever had.

If you are staying at the Maswik Lodge as we did last May, the cafeteria-style eatery is located there. We had our dinner there instead of El Tovar. The ice cream shop is on the rim. Best chocolate ice cream I have ever had.
There's also a cafeteria-style restaurant at the Bright Angel Lodge, which is not very far from the El Tovar and the Thunderbird Lodge on the Rim. Comfort food, very casual.

Sayhello

Can anyone who has done this trip before tell me what time you arrived at the airport in Grand Junction? We are renting a car there and are just trying to figure out what time we can get on the road.

Can anyone who has done this trip before tell me what time you arrived at the airport in Grand Junction? We are renting a car there and are just trying to figure out what time we can get on the road.

we got there just before 10:00

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter