Are you sending your kids to school next month?

My school district states it as "Covid symptoms that are not usual for you", thereby exempting seasonal allergies. That's not an impossible bridge to cross.

My school district states it as "Covid symptoms that are not usual for you", thereby exempting seasonal allergies. That's not an impossible bridge to cross.
That works well for you. However it is not how it’s working for many of us in regards to work/school.

No there shouldn't. If you open unsafely and cause people to get ill or die you should be held at the very least civilly liable if not criminal. It is unsafe to have in-person business, including learning, in many industries and places. If (general) you ignore that danger and push through with opening for in-person business you deserve to be sued and lose.

It’s a virus. They are NEVER going to be able to make every public building completely free from a virus. It’s an impossible standard and they should be immune from liability.

That works well for you. However it is not how it’s working for many of us in regards to work/school.
It can work for many other districts, too.

I'm not telling people who want their kids to stay home to send them to school. I'm saying that having school open for those who want & need in-person learning is vital, and possible.

Those who want the schools to stay completely closed for everyone keep arguing that it's impossible, and coming up with more and more reasons why they think it won't work.

It's sad, really. There are plenty of ways to make reopening school a much safer and doable situation. But some posters are so set on keeping the schools closed, they won't seriously consider workable options that would help so many children that need it.

It can work for many other districts, too.

I'm not telling people who want their kids to stay home to send them to school. I'm saying that having school open for those who want & need in-person learning is vital, and possible.

Those who want the schools to stay completely closed for everyone keep arguing that it's impossible, and coming up with more and more reasons why they think it won't work.

It's sad, really. There are plenty of ways to make reopening school a much safer and doable situation. But some posters are so set on keeping the schools closed, they won't seriously consider workable options that would help so many children that need it.
Unless you’re in an area that’s surging and then it’s not safe. It’s not a matter of wanting schools to stay open or closed because I think all of us want schools open. Some of us just want it done safely. And we all have a different opinion of safe.

But since I live in an area with rapidly growing cases and test results taking 6-10 days making contact tracing a joke, there is nothing that makes me feel it’s safe to go back NOW.

So instead of blanket statements that it’s totally safe to go back or it’s not safe at all, we start acknowledging that the situation may be different in different areas of the country.

But the whole conversation about requirements to go back to school after an illness was about practicality and not about whether it was safe to return.

Here's a little story for the day. Our Girl Scout troop leader is hosting a pool party today with another Scout mom. The pool is very small, the troop is 7 girls and siblings and they want to serve pizza and cupcakes. It's a sweet gesture and another time I would have no problem sending my kid.

But 2 of the moms have just traveled, one by plane with friends and the other by car with family. They have not quarantined. The host mom got back YESTERDAY via airplane and now wants to have a party with kids at her house.

I had already said no, but now I am really glad I said no.

I simply don't trust the people in my community enough to put my kid in a room with theirs. The school district 4 miles from my house is virtual only until after Labor Day. It's insane that ours isn't.

We were initially a two-parent income family. We both have advanced degrees and stable careers. It lasted 18 months. We do not have a support system in our city (no family that can help with childcare when kids are sick). The amount of time we both had to miss work with our oldest DS those first 18 months was insane. And we worked in corporate jobs with great time-off policies. We never ran out of time, that’s how good the policies were. HOWEVER, there is an expectation in Corporate America that one should not use that time off “too much.” It was frowned upon, and comments were made to both of us about missing too much work. The fact is, little kids in daycare get sick a lot. And we always kept our DS home when he was sick - as such, we missed a ton. Both our careers were suffering. My boss specifically was very unhappy with me - she was childless. There were other people with children on our team, but they either had a parent who stayed home, or grandparents to help when their children were sick. When I became pregnant with our twins, we threw in the towel on two full-time working parents. I moved to a very part-time job, and we adjusted our lifestyle.

Many people are able to make the two working parents thing work, and many more have to make it work. We couldn’t do it.

Here's a little story for the day. Our Girl Scout troop leader is hosting a pool party today with another Scout mom. The pool is very small, the troop is 7 girls and siblings and they want to serve pizza and cupcakes. It's a sweet gesture and another time I would have no problem sending my kid.

But 2 of the moms have just traveled, one by plane with friends and the other by car with family. They have not quarantined. The host mom got back YESTERDAY via airplane and now wants to have a party with kids at her house.

I had already said no, but now I am really glad I said no.

I simply don't trust the people in my community enough to put my kid in a room with theirs. The school district 4 miles from my house is virtual only until after Labor Day. It's insane that ours isn't.
Very true! Social media has been eye opening on how others are treating the virus and their actions. It definitely plays into my opinion of things being safe or not.

Very true! Social media has been eye opening on how others are treating the virus and their actions. It definitely plays into my opinion of things being safe or not.

I would never have known about them taking trips if they had not friended me on Facebook for the troop group. They have also posted strange videos about tyranny and mask usage, YouTube "doctors" discussing the virus, etc. :sad2:

We are sending our kiddo back. Our classroom size will be somewhere between 8-10 students with in person instruction twice a week. The other 3 days will be online instruction. Face coverings, safety measures and health checks will be implemented. We’ll see how it goes. If everyone plays the game correctly and follows the rules, I know that’s a big IF, we should be successful. Down side is we will have to stay away from grandparents again. Our cases in our area are stable at the time. Positivity rate is below 5%.

A school system in our neighboring county is one of the first to got back—they were featured on the Today Show last week. They started Wednesday—masks, temp screens, staggered schedule, etc. On Friday a middle schooler tested positive. They had to contact trace and people were told they would receive a call within 24 hours if they had contact with the student and had to quarantine for two weeks. So the school lasted a grand total of 2 days opening before the first case...obviously the student didn’t contract the virus at school given the time frame but now people are in a 2 week quarantine already.

A school system in our neighboring county is one of the first to got back—they were featured on the Today Show last week. They started Wednesday—masks, temp screens, staggered schedule, etc. On Friday a middle schooler tested positive. They had to contact trace and people were told they would receive a call within 24 hours if they had contact with the student and had to quarantine for two weeks. So the school lasted a grand total of 2 days opening before the first case...obviously the student didn’t contract the virus at school given the time frame but now people are in a 2 week quarantine already.
Think we will start to hear this quite a bit more as schools reopen. Can’t win either way. It is an impossible situation.

I’m so not surprised - a grand total of 2 days! Thank you for posting this real world story. In person learning is going to be futile I’m afraid.

Our district is only “recommending” masks. If they were required I would feel a bit more comfortable. My son is doing virtual school. My niece is going back hybrid. We will have one last dinner with them next Sunday and then we won’t be able to be together until school closes and she quarantines for 14 days or we all have a vaccine.

That's what is going to happen nation wide, I guarantee it.

I waver back and forth on sending DS back, college 2nd year.

It looks like all his classes will be online. The college is around 80 minutes from our house. He will have a private bedroom dorm there (cause we are already under contract for it).
40,000 undergrads 10,000 grad students attend.

Our Two local facilities had at one time, the highest covid rates for our area. And they are still on lockdown with visitors. I would not want to send my parent there willingly. This makes me reason with myself why would I send my kid a dorm with 500.

So I run many scenarios though my head. Him - just there Monday thru Thursday; allowing questions in person to the TAs
Him - just stay here.
Him - just going till oct; again only Monday thru Thurs then here for flu season. And seeing what happens in January.

I think I have already said on this thread. DS is willing to stay here. DD will stay where she is and take classes online.

Aside from the mess of distance learning, children can and do die from COVID. A little girl with no underlying conditions died in Florida just this past week.

I agree, it frightening but sadly children die every year of the flu too. Right now, less children have died from covid but who knows if that will change when/if schools are back in session.

It’s a virus. They are NEVER going to be able to make every public building completely free from a virus. It’s an impossible standard and they should be immune from liability.
Not if they’re insisting on opening & endangering their staff & students. I would maybe agree if it can be proved that the school followed cdc guidelines. However, opening a large school district in the middle of a hotspot like what is happening in my district is NOT following cdc guidelines.

That's what is going to happen nation wide, I guarantee it.
Exactly & then those kids will be more behind their peers. At least if most or all schools are out, it’s more of an even playing field. Ppl keep talking about the kids who are more vulnerable & need school more than others. I agree it sucks. But I also think they’re often the ones who will be even more affected by the virus. Essential workers need kids to go to school so they can work but if their kids get sick & get them sick then they can’t work anyway plus all the other problems that come with having it. A lot of our most vulnerable kids here live in houses with multiple family members including a lot of grandparents. Imo, getting the virus for these kids would be worse than the disadvantages they would face by not having school for a few more months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter