Are you considering not renewing your Annual Pass?

We are DVC. I opted to only renew my AP, not the other 5 in my family. We will be using our DVC to do RunDisney races for a while, or just Water Park trips (we still have so many Fun Days left on old non expiring tickets). I kept my pass for the Memory Maker aspect, and also because I am doing a couple RunDisney trips with friends who want to do the parks. But after this I will most likely let it go and just use the DVC as a relaxing vacation (let's pretend RunDisney is relaxing) instead of a parks vacation. My kids are all thrill seekers, so I'm thinking Universal Passes are in our future.

The only reason I ever got an AP was for the room discounts. Somewhere I've heard rumors that they are dropping that benefit and i dont see it listed as an official AP benefit on the Disney website, in which case I will definitely not renew in July. Aside from that, when I had an AP, I was never able to take advantage of the six months 0% interest on Disney packages offered when you use the Disney visa card. So I'll be watching very closely in the next few months to see if any AP discounts come out and for how much.
I was able to get an AP rate on 2 of my 4 nights in February, but none in April. They definitely had a very limited number of rooms available for the discount.

i see you are following me. i Suppose I offended you in some way by only saying MyOpinion and I am renewing my AP.

i Didn’t mean to rile anyone up by answering the question.
I don't know what you mean by following you.

I don't take offense when people have different opinions then I do.

We live in GA and are DVC as well. We have been AP holders 15 plus years. We are done with AP’s. We were in the parks last week and they have done a good job killing the Magic. Sometimes, I wonder if that was Chapek‘s job to be a hatchet man for the Board of Directors. We will not return to the parks until he is gone and there is a change to the guest experience.

i kept thinking of the 25th WDW Anniversary and the song Remember the Magic. They are supposedly celebrating 50 years and besides a bunch of ugly blue/gold merchandise you couldn’t tell there was any difference.

Disney has a lot of problems and it begins with leadership.

But after this I will most likely let it go and just use the DVC as a relaxing vacation (let's pretend RunDisney is relaxing) instead of a parks vacation. My kids are all thrill seekers, so I'm thinking Universal Passes are in our future.
I’m a realist, the parks would call just too loudly for me to ignore them so, happy enough to keep our APs going.

Have done split trips staying onsite at U since DVC raised weekend point rates long ago & kept their APs running, seasonal often in same ballpark as few day P2P tix there.

Will say, not a huge fan of being offsite there, contrary to many WDW visits. You cannot under estimate the FOTL onsite hotel perk As to contributing to the overall trip vibe there.

So we opted not to renew our Annual Passes. Today was the day I finally booked airfare for an 8 day Discovery Cove, SeaWorld, and Aquatica adventure this summer. I'm guessing we will have more down time to relax then we typically do for our Disney trips (which is ok with me, at least this summer!). I was very pleased with the pricing we found - if anyone has any tips for dining or just in general, I'd love to hear them! We are staying at the Renaissance Seaworld. My heart will miss Disney, but maybe someday they'll figure things out...

Wow I feel like I wrote the original post in this thread myself. We won’t be renewing either and likely to sell our DVC contracts as well for all of the same reasons…especially on the note of quality.

Last edited:
So we opted not to renew our Annual Passes. Today was the day I finally booked airfare for an 8 day Discovery Cove, SeaWorld, and Aquatica adventure this summer. I'm guessing we will have more down time to relax then we typically do for our Disney trips (which is ok with me, at least this summer!). I was very pleased with the pricing we found - if anyone has any tips for dining or just in general, I'd love to hear them! We are staying at the Renaissance Seaworld. My heart will miss Disney, but maybe someday they'll figure things out...
Not to drift the thread too much, but you'll be on the I-Ride Trolley line that runs up and down I-Drive. That gets you access to Icon Park, the outlets, etc.

For dining, Mias, Cafe Opa and Cafe Tutu Tango are locally owned spots that are great. There is a new pho restaurant called 20-pho hour that is crazy in design (basically 2d). And for some better local restaurants, check out Sand Lake Road on the west side of I4. That's often called Restaurant Row by the locals.

We have had APs more on than off over the past 15 years. While in the beginning it was an attempt to get two week long trips in over two summers, for the past few years (since before the pandemic) we have had APs continually. We are out of state passholders, who are also DVC members. It has been common for us to make now between 6-8 trips a year. One is our week long trip, while the others are mostly long (and sometimes longer) weekends.

For the first time in a very long time, we are considering not renewing our APs when they come due in July. What makes this decision more difficulty is knowing that we may never be able to get Annual Passes again (only renewals have been available since November of last year). I have not made that final decision yet, but I will over the next three months.

I am wondering if others are in a similar mindset.

To be honest, not all of this is on Disney. My youngest will be a senior in High School this year, and while he loves going to Disney, I am not sure he will have the same time to go next school year. But, while we would certainly consider dropping his pass (as we have with our other children in the past), my intention was to still renew the passes for my wife and me.

I also do understand that the world has changed. Worker shortages, international travel issue, domestic travel issues, the concern over Covid19, all play a part here.

However, a significant part of this is also what we have seen of Disney in the past couple of years. I know some people do not like to hear others complain about our first world problems. I get it. However, I am starting with the premise that people were always willing to pay a premium for Disney, because of the environment, the service, and the attention to detail. The sprinkling of pixie dust every once in a while also added to the premium.

Sadly, what I have seen is price increases, while also having a declining level of service. Certainly, as a stock holder of DIS, I am glad to see the demand for a Disney vacation is there.

However, it is the overall quality of service that has been bothering me the most. Disney has pushed so much that was cast interactions to a self-service app that you need running your entire vacation. I have seen a drop in things like cleaning. Look around the EPCOT monorail station, it has almost as many cobwebs as the Haunted Mansion. Look at some of the more popular rest rooms. That along with the lack of some previous services (shows, characters, shops, restaurants, parking lot trams, etc), has made me ask why I am paying for this premium vacation? I remember a time when it was odd to see a crack on a piece of cement. It seems when one started, the entire slab would be replaced overnight.

I also feel the number of deals, that extra value that you would get has been disappearing. I also remember a time when a DVC full blown (Platinum Plus) annual pass was about $100 more than a 7 day parkhopper. That is how we got started with APs in the first place.

I get the feeling that Disney World is becoming more of a set of a few amusement parks, then the immersive world that it once was. And for that, I could take a tour of Cedar Fair parks, Six Flags, or any of the other independent parks like Dollywood and Hershey.

Sorry to be venting. I guess I am just curious, am I the only one that feels this way? Are you considering not renewing your Annual Pass? If so, why?
We have been passholders since January 2002. Over 20 years. We are not renewing. Disney's far left agenda is a major reason. The decline in quality of service is another.

I have not renewed either my WDW or my DLR AP. ( I also had a SeaWorld AP in 2019 but that was because it was a small difference in cost to the ticket I bought, but since I don't visit there regularly I hadn't renewed it).

I probably won't get another AP at this point. I've decided to spread out my trips and do less Disney and plan some other destinations. I find when I have an AP I tend to default to quick short trips and honestly the cost to value ratio is not really there for me at the moment.

I still enjoy Disney but it no longer is my go to. At least for now.

We are DVC owners and have had DLR and WDW APs for years. We currently have Dream Keys at DLR and will be activating our DVC Gold/Sorcerer passes on our WDW trip this summer. This will be our first WDW trip since February 2020 and our first with 3 kids. It’s definitely concerning to see all the negative comments about the WDW experience lately, but we’re still hoping to have a fun time with our kids. They are 1, 3, and 6 and they have been loving our DLR trips, where we’ve been spending all our DVC points in the last year at VGC. Genie+ has been pretty straightforward to use at DLR and we don’t always feel the need to buy it. We’ll see how we fare with it at WDW, since it seems like a very different experience. We have 3 weeks spread across 2 WDW trips planned for this coming year, so APs still make sense for our family. With DVC we will be back often, so I imagine we will keep renewing for the foreseeable future. As the kids get a little older we’ll mix in more vacations at other destinations including international, but at this age and in current times we are happy going to Disney.

We are DVC owners and have had DLR and WDW APs for years. We currently have Dream Keys at DLR and will be activating our DVC Gold/Sorcerer passes on our WDW trip this summer. This will be our first WDW trip since February 2020 and our first with 3 kids. It’s definitely concerning to see all the negative comments about the WDW experience lately, but we’re still hoping to have a fun time with our kids. They are 1, 3, and 6 and they have been loving our DLR trips, where we’ve been spending all our DVC points in the last year at VGC. Genie+ has been pretty straightforward to use at DLR and we don’t always feel the need to buy it. We’ll see how we fare with it at WDW, since it seems like a very different experience. We have 3 weeks spread across 2 WDW trips planned for this coming year, so APs still make sense for our family. With DVC we will be back often, so I imagine we will keep renewing for the foreseeable future. As the kids get a little older we’ll mix in more vacations at other destinations including international, but at this age and in current times we are happy going to Disney.
So, I have three weeks till my APs expire. Will be heading back to WDW in a week. This is our last scheduled trip. I still have not decided about renewing or not.

We are in very different places. My youngest is now 17. Don't get me wrong, I think we all still love Disney, but it has changed, IMHO. I think if my children were younger, I would probably be renewing.

I know, first world problems...

Sold one DVC contract and all APs have expired. We still love Disney enough to go once every year or two. But for now Chapek has run us out of town. Its obvious the Disney board couldn't care less too. Dark times Harry, dark times.

So, I have three weeks till my APs expire. Will be heading back to WDW in a week. This is our last scheduled trip. I still have not decided about renewing or not.

We are in very different places. My youngest is now 17. Don't get me wrong, I think we all still love Disney, but it has changed, IMHO. I think if my children were younger, I would probably be renewing.

I know, first world problems...
We debated last renewal. But since we’re local and since new annual passes are not possible for the time being, we renewed. We did not renew our Universal AP. We continue to renew our Sea World and Busch Gardens legacy pass. Sea World really knows how to treat their annual passholders! Lots of freebies and perks throughout the year. And Sea World makes it easy to bring friends for free or $35 depending on what’s being offered.

My oldest started working at Disney Springs years ago when he was in college, so we stopped renewing his back then. Now he’s married and his wife works at Disney and he works at Universal, so they got the parks covered for themselves.

Sad to say NO we will not be renewing our Disney World passes. We are from California and when the parks were different & you were able to Park hop whenever you wanted along with getting the Premier pass...it was worth it! but now even if they do bring back the annual passes, they charge out of state people a CRAZY amount of money! we used to go for the Food and Wine festival every year but that has been so paired down it's not worth going to either. We have our last trip in September and it will be so sad for us since we've been going to DW since our honeymoon in 1980....they are losing some true fans here! Because we live in California we may go to Disneyland once or twice a year but no more passes.

Tu Tu Tengos on I-drive has been my favorite restaurant for 20 years. Highly recommend!

we didn't renew either. A little sad because we've had them for years but I felt we needed to go a lot to make them worth it and my husband was tiring of it. :rolleyes2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter