Are you averse to the 'new' 5-day pass only? Please read and comment...

Cyclenut- I think the issue here is that Disney essentially increased ticket prices once for everyone, and basically a second time for anyone wanting to stay more than 5 days. There is a blatant unfairness in penalizing customers who want more of your product.

For me, 5 days will probably be plenty in the future, as a party of 4 with no disabilities or strollers and naps slowing us down.

But last time we went as a party of 6 with a stroller and one napper. Five days was not quite enough time to do everything and feel "done" and ready to go home. The same is probably true for the party bringing grandma in her wheelchair. Grandmacan probably only do a few hours a day in the park, and she doesn't want to go to the beach. So Disney IS the vacation.

I think that's a big chunk of the disappointment.

The same was true for anyone who wanted to stay 8 days. So my guess is there is some demographic that uses those 6-7 day passes that they don't mind losing. But I don't know enough about it to hazard a guess.

Oh, I'm here. Don't you worry! And I'm sure Mary Jo is out there somewhere too - because this thread has been reported. So I am now in the process of going through it and deleting posts so that it doesn't have to be closed.

I must have missed something. Why would this thread have to be closed?

We are all upset about price increases, but the number of people buying the long hoppers wasn't very high. If everyone who bought them decided to never again return, it wouldn't be more than a blip on the attendance radar. If I am taking a week long vacation and I live far enough away I can make it out once a year or less, I am likely traveling for two of those 7 days, making a 5 day hopper just about perfect. That is how it seems Disney is looking at this anyway.

On the contrary, Disney says the purpose of Cars Land is to make DLR a 6 day vacation.

I fully believe that they got rid of the longer parkhopper passes simply to increase revenue. The other reasons they've given are too easy to fix to be valid. If they were valid reasons, they would simply put procedures they have at WDW into play at DLR..

It would costs millions to change all the things necessary to bring the WDW ticketing system to DLR.

One CM said it was to curtail fraud. I email another and she acknowledged that reason.

ValpoCory said:
On the contrary, Disney says the purpose of Cars Land is to make DLR a 6 day vacation.

I have never heard that stated. If that is true, it would make no sense for them to not offer a six day pass.

ValpoCory said:
2 3-day hoppers costs $500 ($250x2).
A 5-day and a 1-day hopper costs $415 ($290+$125).

Any combination is cheaper if you buy a 5 day and build on top of that.

Yes. I corrected myself later. In fact, if it were me, the sixth day would be a one park only ticket. No need to make that extra day a hopper.

Disney executives have definitively and repeatedly stated recently that their goal with Carsland is to turn Disneyland into a "vacation destination." The weeklong term has also been mentioned, albeit less often and not as specifically.

They have also confirmed, repeatedly and for years, that TOURISTS have a much greater (double, maybe more) daily spending average than local or day guests. So, Disney desperately wants to attract tourists to maximize profit.

Which is why eliminating ticket lengths makes very little sense, financially, for Disney and I'm guessing, it was something done in one of Disney's myriad of separately controlled departments, to solve a problem within their purview, without adequately determining the full cost effectiveness.

Disney World also reaches a ticket price point where additional days come at a very small increased cost. I haven't gone to study the current prices, but I know on our December 2010 trip, we could have purchased five day tickets but, if we upgraded to six, in order to go on our arrival night, it was only $5 more per person. Therefore, it was a total no brainer to do so.

Disney does that, not because they're kind and generous and want to spread some pixie dust, but because they know you're going to say, as we did, "it's only $5," and then go into the parks and buy food and merchandise during your "bonus" time there. And they're right, because we did both: buy the extra day because it was so cheap AND spend additional money in the parks--money we wouldn't have spent any other time, I might add.

If we had, instead, been told that for that extra day we had to buy a whole new ticket, we wouldn't even have considered going, therefore taking ourselves, and our wallets, elsewhere, which is the LAST thing Disney wants. And with the exception of a teeny tiny percentage of Disney diehards, which are wildly over-represented on the Dis Boards, no one is going to buy another $90 ticket, or spend $200 to upgrade to an annual pass, to increase their time in the parks by one, two or even three days. It makes zero financial sense and Disney knows that, which is why they previously allowed easy, and inexpensive, upgrades beyond five days.

You go into the park on your departure day and have a character breakfast before leaving for the airport, and that's money in Disney's pocket. You're happy because you got an extra bit of Disney for a reasonable cost--say, $30 bucks to upgrade your whole family--and Disney's happy because you just dropped $200 on a character meal you wouldn't otherwise have partaken in. It's a win-win.

Instead, you've now got peeved guests, many of whom will have zero idea they can't upgrade until they arrive for their, say, week-long vacation, and the double whammy of a loss of that all important merchandise and dining revenue.

It just makes sense that you need a middle ground between 5 days and 315, which is the amount of days you can enter the park with a Deluxe Annual Pass, the lowest level an out-of-state guest can acquire.
Florida is very successful with the "don't let 'em get off property and see what else is out there" strategy--whisking guests from the airport to the parks and hoping they never stray--and Disneyland has long wanted to emulate that model ... Which only makes this decision even more baffling.

Disney doesn't "lose" money by offering a decreasing per day cost on longer tickets. Not by a long shot.

The option to add a 1 day hopper ticket to a new 5 day hopper would bring the total 6 day cost to $415, a 65% increase over the old 6 day price. This is a $656 increase for a family of 4. Buying a pair of separate 3 day tickets would cost $500 each.

A 65% increase is double that of APs, for tickets that still can only be used for 6 days, and is getting close to a deluxe AP price at $469 (which gives potential 300+ days access, but of course has weekend black out dates during the summer - not much use when travelling several thousand miles across the ocean).

It really is insane :worried:. Although here on the Dis I have read of many who spent a week visiting before CL and the BVS additions to DCA now I am sure there are many more who want to stay longer. Myself included. Flying in from Sweden I'll have 4 weeks in CA visiting friends, and I also want my dose of Disney. I checked back to this thread simply to see if a solution had been announced yet. I'm sure it will because it's just bad buisness but I'm hoping it's sooner rather than later! I'll be visiting in April/May but am holding out on buying my airfare until I here things have changed.

Disney has definitely recently publicly stated, fairly frequently, that their goal with Carsland is to turn Disneyland into a "vacation destination." The weeklong term has also been mentioned, albeit less often and not as specifically.

They have also confirmed, repeatedly and for years, that TOURISTS have a much greater (double, maybe more) daily spending average than local day guests. So, Disney wants limited stay tourists to maximize profit.

Which is why eliminating ticket lengths makes zero sense financially for Disney and I'm guessing, based on previous decisions, it was something done in one department, without adequately consulting all the others.

DisneyWorld also reaches a ticket point where additional days are a very small cost. I haven't gone to study the current prices, but I know on our 2010 trip, we could have 5 days for this price and if we upgraded to 6 to go on our arrival night, it was only $5 more per person. So a total no brainer to do so.

Disney does that, not because they're kind and generous but because they know you're going to say, as we did, "it's only $5," and then go into the parks and buy food and merchandise during that extra time. Which we also did.

If we were told that for that extra day we had to buy a whole new ticket, we would have said no way and taken ourselves, and our wallets, elsewhere, which is the LAST thing Disney wants. Florida is very successful with the "don't let 'em get off property and see what else is out there" strategy and Disneyland has long wanted to emulate that ... Which only makes this decision even more baffling.

Disney doesn't "lose" money by offering decreasing per day on longer tickets. Not by a long shot.

Well now I'm really baffled. Very curious to hear now this all turns out. Today I am off to the Alaska state fair ..... Not a good substitute... Lol

I have never heard that stated. If that is true, it would make no sense for them to not offer a six day pass.

The quote came from Disneyland President Jon Storbeck. It was also discussed on the DISBoards podcast on 8/16.

"Q: Where are you at in the process of turning this into the 4 and 5 day resort?
JON: Wow. I think we’re always looking for an opportunity to bring guests into the resort and give them an opportunity to stay another day, and I certainly think we’ve done that here with what you see with Cars Land. I think what we’ve done here…what the Imagineers have done…is just give the guests a reason when they come to Southern California to stay one more day here, whether they’re on a three day vacation and they want to stay a fourth or a five day vacation and they want to stay a sixth, so it’s just a great environment for them. "

The elimination of the 6 day pass is completely against what Jon is saying.

Disney has definitely recently publicly stated, fairly frequently, that their goal with Carsland is to turn Disneyland into a "vacation destination." The weeklong term has also been mentioned, albeit less often and not as specifically.

They have also confirmed, repeatedly and for years, that TOURISTS have a much greater (double, maybe more) daily spending average than local day guests. So, Disney wants limited stay tourists to maximize profit.

Which is why eliminating ticket lengths makes zero sense financially for Disney and I'm guessing, based on previous decisions, it was something done in one department, without adequately consulting all the others.

DisneyWorld also reaches a ticket point where additional days are a very small cost. I haven't gone to study the current prices, but I know on our 2010 trip, we could have 5 days for this price and if we upgraded to 6 to go on our arrival night, it was only $5 more per person. So a total no brainer to do so.

Disney does that, not because they're kind and generous but because they know you're going to say, as we did, "it's only $5," and then go into the parks and buy food and merchandise during that extra time. Which we also did.

If we were told that for that extra day we had to buy a whole new ticket, we would have said no way and taken ourselves, and our wallets, elsewhere, which is the LAST thing Disney wants. Florida is very successful with the "don't let 'em get off property and see what else is out there" strategy and Disneyland has long wanted to emulate that ... Which only makes this decision even more baffling.

Disney doesn't "lose" money by offering decreasing per day on longer tickets. Not by a long shot.

Excellent post. I agree with everything you said. And a small update ... the price to upgrade WDW tickets past 5 days is now closer to $10 per day.

I have highlighted two very salient quotes here.

My guess is that this was not thought through with a complete analysis. The department that came up with this change thought through only to the point where they could muster more revenue by making Day 6 a full fare day with no discount for admission. What they didn't do, it seems, it look at any sort of actuarial plan of what happens to revenues with people who would normally stay on for Day 6 under the old plan are no longer willing to pay full fare and don't participate in the new plan.

No modest fare money from Day 6 + no revenue from park sales = loss of revenue.

I would very hard pressed to believe that someone thinks, particularly with the current economy, everyone would be fine with paying full fare on Day 6.

I enjoy Disney greatly. I enjoy getting more bang for the buck in my vacation budget even more.

Oh, I'm here. Don't you worry! And I'm sure Mary Jo is out there somewhere too - because this thread has been reported. So I am now in the process of going through it and deleting posts so that it doesn't have to be closed.

With all due respect, if I may ask, why would this thread offend anyone? We're all just expressing our displeasure and disappointment at Disney's latest move, and providing information to each other while trying to figure out why this is being done. This new policy of theirs costs our families hundred to thousands more, and while we don't like it, no one is cussing, bashing, or doing anything disrespectful or against the rules. So please let us know what exactly was done so we can avoid it and keep the thread open. :goodvibes

To those who have been asking -

This thread does not have to be closed now as long as it stays respectful and non-argumentative. However, it was at one point headed in a direction that was not good - and others noticed it as well because it was reported to us behind the scenes. We handled it, and it's in the past.:goodvibes

Thanks all for helping me understand your perspective. Since I live close and hold an annual pass, I don't see things the same way. I understand now how steep the increase is and how that affects planning. I also see the conflict with executive statements and the duration of stay that seems to be Disney's current target.

I do wonder though what folks think the fair price is for the average daily per person admission cost to DLR.

KBF is $57 for a two day pass.
Universal is $80 for a single day, but you get a year for that price too.
Legoland is $95 for two days.
Sea world is $78 for a single day ticket
Magic Mountain is $40 for a three day pass.

All of these also have different promotions, options for kids or annual passes or even to combine visits across multiple locations.

If the DLR average daily ticket price for your visit is around $60 for a park hopper, is that too much? What is the right number?

has anyone seen the other threads that someone was able to add another day to their 5-day hoppers for only $5 this past friday...?

maybe there is hope...

has anyone seen the other threads that someone was able to add another day to their 5-day hoppers for only $5 this past friday...?

maybe there is hope...

But I think they had purchased their original tickets before the rules changed.

Thanks all for helping me understand your perspective. Since I live close and hold an annual pass, I don't see things the same way. I understand now how steep the increase is and how that affects planning. I also see the conflict with executive statements and the duration of stay that seems to be Disney's current target.

I do wonder though what folks think the fair price is for the average daily per person admission cost to DLR.

KBF is $57 for a two day pass.
Universal is $80 for a single day, but you get a year for that price too.
Legoland is $95 for two days.
Sea world is $78 for a single day ticket
Magic Mountain is $40 for a three day pass.

All of these also have different promotions, options for kids or annual passes or even to combine visits across multiple locations.

If the DLR average daily ticket price for your visit is around $60 for a park hopper, is that too much? What is the right number?

Thanks for this breakdown. I'll make use of it in my vacation planning!

I do love how civilized the Dis boards are, acknowledging different perspectives on things.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter