Are you averse to the 'new' 5-day pass only? Please read and comment...

I know it is not the person replying back who is responding, but rather, Disney, and what THEY have told each and every single Cast Member how to respond to us.

Maybe when Disney tires of us all, they will change things back to the way they used to be. :goodvibes

I love it. History has shown that invading countries can be pushed back by a consistent and annoying stand by the locals. Of course, sometimes the Native Americans are forced onto reservations. In this story, I hope we are not the Native Americans.

I love it. History has shown that invading countries can be pushed back by a consistent and annoying stand by the locals. Of course, sometimes the Native Americans are forced onto reservations. In this story, I hope we are not the Native Americans.

You always have interesting posts! :) Maybe we can be the Mouseketeers, cheering for good (longer than 5-day Park Hoppers) to prevail. :earsboy::earsgirl::earsboy::earsgirl: (plus many many more DISboard members who are rooting for this to happen!)

I have always felt that Disney World had the right idea when they set up their present Parkhopper tickets. I like the fact that you only pay for what you use. You can pay for up to 10 days. You can add the no- expiration features. I wish Disneyland had the same type of tickets. I also understand the reasons behind why they don't. However, it doesn't stop me from wishing that they would.

I just wish they would compromise at selling at least a 7 day parkhopper, despite the fact that many people think they don't sell enough of those types of tickets. It seems to me that with the opening of the new stuff in DCA they just might be surprised.

I have always felt that Disney World had the right idea when they set up their present Parkhopper tickets. I like the fact that you only pay for what you use. You can pay for up to 10 days. You can add the no- expiration features. I wish Disneyland had the same type of tickets. I also understand the reasons behind why they don't. However, it doesn't stop me from wishing that they would.

I just wish they would compromise at selling at least a 7 day parkhopper, despite the fact that many people think they don't sell enough of those types of tickets. It seems to me that with the opening of the new stuff in DCA they just might be surprised.

Right now for 2/3/4/5/6 day PH passes, they cost $200/$250/$275/$290/$415.

The funny thing is, this thread wouldn't exist if they cost $200/$270/$320/$370/$415.

Don't know if it will help, but I sent the following ...

We are arriving in October for a seven-night stay at the Grand Californian (theme park view, concierge level) and currently have six-day park hopper passes (purchased before the change). We were planning/hoping to add an additional day or two to our tickets to spend a portion of our arrival and departure days at the parks, where we would be eating, shopping and riding. But, now Disney is saying they will no longer extend guests park hopper tickets beyond five days, and our only option would be to buy annual passes (we live 2,000 miles away) or additional ticket sets (the cost for additional two-day park hoppers for my family would be outrageous on top of what we're already spending).

We are coming for a one-week vacation. You have sold us rooms for seven nights and eight days, in your most expensive hotel at the highest level, no less, yet you won't sell us tickets to your parks to match that number? How ridiculous and short-sighted is that?

At the same time executives are saying in press releases that Disneyland, with the addition of the new Carsland and revamped California Adventure park, is now a "Vacation Destination," Disneyland ceases selling tickets that actually allow people to take a week-long vacation there. It makes no sense what-so-ever! Does one arm of the company even know what the other is doing?

We are very disappointed in this new guest-unfriendly policy and hope that Disney rethinks it.

Great email! I sent one, although it was much less impressive. :)

WE also like to make a week of it, coming from Alaska....... 5 days last time was not enough time.

It would be ideal if they would not have them expire, and to be able to save money for buying more days at a time. A 7 day Park Hopper would be purchased by so many, now with Cars Land, and the advertisements saying that they are a Resort.

Right now for 2/3/4/5/6 day PH passes, they cost $200/$250/$275/$290/$415.

The funny thing is, this thread wouldn't exist if they cost $200/$270/$320/$370/$415.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying. (Duh, Jory. ;) ) Are you comparing prices to Disney World?

Great email! I sent one, although it was much less impressive. :)

I bet it had good points, too, and it all adds up, and will all count in the end. Thanks for writing in!!

I love the part in coopersmom's letter:

We are coming for a one-week vacation. You have sold us rooms for seven nights and eight days, in your most expensive hotel at the highest level, no less, yet you won't sell us tickets to your parks to match that number? How ridiculous and short-sighted is that?

At the same time executives are saying in press releases that Disneyland, with the addition of the new Carsland and revamped California Adventure park, is now a "Vacation Destination," Disneyland ceases selling tickets that actually allow people to take a week-long vacation there. It makes no sense what-so-ever! Does one arm of the company even know what the other is doing?

We are very disappointed in this new guest-unfriendly policy and hope that Disney rethinks it.

Great job, coopersmom!

Piglet99645 said:
WE also like to make a week of it, coming from Alaska....... 5 days last time was not enough time.

Distance, Distance, Distance, Disney. :moped: It just doesn't work for so many of your Park Guests to be limited to only 5 days in the Parks.

To be fair, I was quoting coopersmom's letter.

Mine was much more boring. :)

P.

Thanks, I had just caught that when I was viewing the quotes, etc... sometimes multi-quoting makes me :faint:. LOL!

I just appreciate that you also got your points across to them. Every single one of these letters is very personalized, that are being sent in to Disney, and it really is upsetting that there is not any acknowledgement whatsoever on Disney's part, in response to anything personal anyone is saying. Please do post your reply from them here if you feel comfortable doing so, thanks! Same to coopersmom, it would be good if you are able to post the reply you get from them.

I also fixed your quote in the posting above, Piglet99645, that I posted earlier and also goofed up on, about Alaska. :)

Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying. (Duh, Jory. ;) ) Are you comparing prices to Disney World?

No, just Disneyland. Currently, at DLR, a 2 day PH pass costs $200 ($100 per day), a 3 day pass costs $250 ($83.33/day), 4 day is $275 ($68.75/day), 5 day is $290 ($58/day), and 6 days in the park is $290+$125=$415 ($69.20/day). The reason for this thread is there is a huge leap to go from a 5 to a 6 day pass, both in overall cost and in per day cost. Why should a 6 day pass cost so much more per day than a 5 day pass?

Using my hypothetical, if Disneyland would have set their costs at 2 day PH = $200 ($100/day), 3 day at $270 ($90/day), 4 day at $320 ($80/day), 5 day at $370 ($74/day), and a newly offered 6-day pass at $415 ($69.20) per day, then our arguments are gone. Each additional day you buy, your per day cost decreases. It rewards guests for staying longer. You can't complain about the cost of a 6-day pass anymore, even though it's the same as the current actual cost.

The reason I thought it was funny was that I think we all are glad the actual pricing menu is used and not the hypothetical, even though the latter addresses all the concerns of this thread. This is because at least with the current system, the 3, 4, and 5 day passes are so much cheaper than in the hypothetical. In summary, our beef is less with the cost of 6 days in DLR than it is with the difference between the 5 day and the 6 day cost.

I find this thread interesting. We have 5 day tickets for 7 nights/8 days and for us, that is perfect. We can go to Knott's Berry farm, Universal, San Diego Zoo, Hollywood Bowl for a concert/musical or even to the beach.

I love Disney I really do, but there is so much to do in SoCal!

No, just Disneyland. Currently, at DLR, a 2 day PH pass costs $200 ($100 per day), a 3 day pass costs $250 ($83.33/day), 4 day is $275 ($68.75/day), 5 day is $290 ($58/day), and 6 days in the park is $290+$125=$415 ($69.20/day). The reason for this thread is there is a huge leap to go from a 5 to a 6 day pass, both in overall cost and in per day cost. Why should a 6 day pass cost so much more per day than a 5 day pass?

Using my hypothetical, if Disneyland would have set their costs at 2 day PH = $200 ($100/day), 3 day at $270 ($90/day), 4 day at $320 ($80/day), 5 day at $370 ($74/day), and a newly offered 6-day pass at $415 ($69.20) per day, then our arguments are gone. Each additional day you buy, your per day cost decreases. It rewards guests for staying longer. You can't complain about the cost of a 6-day pass anymore, even though it's the same as the current actual cost.

The reason I thought it was funny was that I think we all are glad the actual pricing menu is used and not the hypothetical, even though the latter addresses all the concerns of this thread. This is because at least with the current system, the 3, 4, and 5 day passes are so much cheaper than in the hypothetical. In summary, our beef is less with the cost of 6 days in DLR than it is with the difference between the 5 day and the 6 day cost.

You are giving this so much thought and effort, ValpoCory!! Awesome. My only beef with if they did go with your hypothetical pricing is that the ticket prices have already increased twice in the past year - this effectively literally makes yet a third increase if using your hypothetical pricing. We just can't afford that (in my family, and probably so many others.) We certainly can not justify that much of a cost increase just for having one new 'land.' Or a new street in California Adventure Park. For years we have put up with the renovations, the walls, the walls, without complaint. Had we known of the enormous price increases, I suspect many of us would have asked them to stop. Disney has touted this as a 6 day or more Resort, as well, for Canadians, who have openly been previously offered the 6, 7, and 8 day Park Hoppers (and for other countries, other options, such as 14) , and just thinking back earlier to those who said that 'it never WAS openly offered to guests, it was sort of a secret, to go and ask at the ticket center, and only random Cast Members might or might not do this for you....) - here's the thing. It WAS offered to those from other countries, and furthermore, should most certainly be offered to everyone from other countries AND in the USA because 1.) USA is HUGE and so many people have to fly in from the mid-East coast, etc. easily at a higher cost than some in Canada on the West Coast, for example. 2.) Disneyland is now mentioned as Resort where 6 or more days is great. 3.) It is offered at Walt Disney World RESORT is it not? 4.) I would think that Sophia Grace and Rosie who like to appear on the Ellen show also wouldn't like only being able to stay for 5 days IF whoever was buying their ticket decided it's not worth it to pay more per day for each day you go past 5 days? Maybe they would have something to say about that! I can't speak for them, but we know how much they love Disneyland. :goodvibes

My point is - something good was offered, and something good is being taken away. NO response is being offered to myself personally, as I am still waiting to hear from Disney, and they know I started the thread. I suspect they are waiting to see WHAT kind of a response this thread gives, so LET'S RAISE THIS UP A NOTCH, fellow DISboard members, and state on this board and with emails and phone calls to Disney to let them know how we feel about this. (I am positive they are watching this thread.) For those lurking, please do come in and comment, you will be valued and very much appreciated. Even if just a short sentence or blurb, it is enough. Some of my friends have written in without posting on this board, but I notice a pattern with Disney now - those who personally write in are getting NOT ONE COMMENT about anything that they write... Blah blah blah is the reply back.. Please also reply on this board if you have written to Disney.

Again - I firmly believe Disney is following this thread, and trying to figure out how to best approach this. I can assure you I personally will not give up, and I doubt any of us who have posted here will.

Fellow DISboard members, if you know of some friends here on the DISBoards who may feel like posting, please let them know about this thread if they haven't yet found it, so they can post.

With over 13,000 views, this is not going to go away. Looking forward to getting an email or phone call from Disney soon.

Disney, personally, we, as a family LOVE your parks. We love everything Disney. Missed Disneyland so much I bought some Method brand hand soap (cute Mickey and Minnie containers!!) to be able to enjoy SOMEthing Disney. We enjoy our Mickey and Minnie Salt and Pepper shakers daily, and our Mickey spoon rest. DAILY we think/dream of Disneyland.

So my question is to Disney, do you think of your guests in terms of people, with real stories and personal points of view, or do you just think of us in terms of $$$$? The replies you are giving show nothing to do with even having read or comprehended what any one individual has stated to you. :faint:

Thanks to all of you DISboard members who are part of this, it is so much appreciated by all of my family, as well as to all DISboard members who are hoping to be able to buy 'longer-than-5-day' Park Hopper tickets.

I find this thread interesting. We have 5 day tickets for 7 nights/8 days and for us, that is perfect. We can go to Knott's Berry farm, Universal, San Diego Zoo, Hollywood Bowl for a concert/musical or even to the beach.

I love Disney I really do, but there is so much to do in SoCal!

There is for sure - but for so many reasons, Disneyland has such great appeal. :worship: It is good for others to know though, that there are all of those options available.

Finally got a reply to my email. Less than impressive:

Dear Ms. :

Thank you for your e-mail to the DISNEYLAND® Resort.

We apologize for the disappointment you mentioned in your e-mail regarding our current, available ticket offers. For those Guests wishing to visit for 6 days or greater, they may wish to consider a combination of our available multi-day DISNEYLAND® Resort PARK HOPPER® Tickets that would best meet their needs. Additionally, a DISNEYLAND® Resort Annual Passport, and its additional benefits, may be a viable option.

Any change in our ticket offers is made after thorough research based on Guest feedback, as well as the quality and price of our product versus that of the local market. Please be assured that our Guests’
impressions are important to us and your comments will receive careful consideration during our ongoing pricing reviews.

If you would like any further information on our available ticket offerings, we invite you to contact us online at disneyland.com or call
(714) 781-4565.

Again, thank you for contacting us. Comments such as yours are welcomed in that they assist us in evaluating our operation and our success in generating happiness for our Guests. We hope you will have the opportunity to visit the DISNEYLAND® Resort soon and that our attractions and entertainment will delight you in every way.

Sincerely,

Terry Sampson
DISNEYLAND® Resort
Guest Experience Services

Finally got a reply to my email. Less than impressive:

Dear Ms. :

Thank you for your e-mail to the DISNEYLAND® Resort.

We apologize for the disappointment you mentioned in your e-mail regarding our current, available ticket offers. For those Guests wishing to visit for 6 days or greater, they may wish to consider a combination of our available multi-day DISNEYLAND® Resort PARK HOPPER® Tickets that would best meet their needs. Additionally, a DISNEYLAND® Resort Annual Passport, and its additional benefits, may be a viable option.

Any change in our ticket offers is made after thorough research based on Guest feedback, as well as the quality and price of our product versus that of the local market. Please be assured that our Guests’
impressions are important to us and your comments will receive careful consideration during our ongoing pricing reviews.

If you would like any further information on our available ticket offerings, we invite you to contact us online at disneyland.com or call
(714) 781-4565.

Again, thank you for contacting us. Comments such as yours are welcomed in that they assist us in evaluating our operation and our success in generating happiness for our Guests. We hope you will have the opportunity to visit the DISNEYLAND® Resort soon and that our attractions and entertainment will delight you in every way.

Sincerely,

Terry Sampson
DISNEYLAND® Resort
Guest Experience Services

Wow, I can see why you are not impressed. Blah blah, blah dee blah blah blah is what I am hearing. Well, at least they will be 'carefully considering' your impressions during their ongoing price reviews, this is something new being added in... is it possible they will consider it now??

Would you feel comfortable sharing the email with us on the board that you sent them? If not, that's understandable - so many of our emails WERE very personal... my point being, since they are not acknowledging personally ANYONE'S personal situation, this just lets us know even more that they are maybe more about the money than they are about understanding and helping their guest. Not THE guest, but THEIR guest, and yet they will not personally add in ANYTHING to make their (again, not the, but their) guest feel comfortable?

Thank you for sharing this with us, I feel this could be hopeful in some ways. :hyper:

My email back was just as generic as the above.
Kerri

Thanks, lurpee, and sorry you also (as most all of us did) get a generic email reply. IS it possible, do you guys think, that they will start to look at this?

The one line in their reply makes me hope, hope, hope! ("Please be assured that our Guests’ impressions are important to us and your comments will receive careful consideration during our ongoing pricing reviews.")

pixiedust:

I am still rather perplexed as to why this is so difficult for Disney to manage.

Talking them at their word that the 6-day PH were not selling or popular, then wouldn't it make sense to simply develop a "Create Your Own Park Hopper Pass" where the data is loaded onto the ticket at the time of purchase?

You simply scale the costs over each day including the discounts and let people walk up or order how ever many days it works for them.

I noted in another thread that Disney could easily limit the fraud by issuing PH on a hard card, like a Costco or Sam's Card, and emboss the person's name and photo on the card. Charge $5.00 for the card but say that the $5.00 will be waived if the person brings back the card to load up future PH.

The cynic in me says Disney is taking this tact simply to increase revenue by discontinuing anything past 5 days and requiring a new ticket at full cost.

I fully believe that they got rid of the longer parkhopper passes simply to increase revenue. The other reasons they've given are too easy to fix to be valid. If they were valid reasons, they would simply put procedures they have at WDW into play at DLR.

We go once a year and have done so for the past 12 years. We have no children, so it's just DH and I and we only do 3 or 4 days. So really, this whole thing doesn't affect DH and I. BUT, I think it stinks because I can absolutely see how people can easily spend more than 5 days in the parks. Disneyland is putting a Disney vacation out of reach for more and more families.

It actually kind of disgusts me because they have now proven that it's ALL about the almighty dollar.

I am still rather perplexed as to why this is so difficult for Disney to manage.

Talking them at their word that the 6-day PH were not selling or popular, then wouldn't it make sense to simply develop a "Create Your Own Park Hopper Pass" where the data is loaded onto the ticket at the time of purchase?

You simply scale the costs over each day including the discounts and let people walk up or order how ever many days it works for them.

I noted in another thread that Disney could easily limit the fraud by issuing PH on a hard card, like a Costco or Sam's Card, and emboss the person's name and photo on the card. Charge $5.00 for the card but say that the $5.00 will be waived if the person brings back the card to load up future PH.

The cynic in me says Disney is taking this tact simply to increase revenue by discontinuing anything past 5 days and requiring a new ticket at full cost.

I think you should be doing the research for Disneyland, you have come up with some very wise ideas, that would be good for them to implement, I think. Thanks for posting in this thread, this is an excellent post! :goodvibes For the scaling of the tickets, I still would appreciate an increasing discount per day for number of days spent in the Park, total. That is perhaps what you were speaking of when you mentioned the scaled costs. I LOVE the $5 card similar to Costco or Sam's!!! The cynic in me wonders why Disney has still not budged on this matter. We may be what they think is a 'drop in the bucket' now, but as we continue on with this thread, we will literally be getting the ball rolling. Soon the ball will be as big as the one in the Indiana Jones ride, and maybe Disneyland won't really find it in their best ($$$$ AND business-wise in regards to customer relations) interests to ignore our pleas.

I think you should be doing the research for Disneyland, you have come up with some very wise ideas, that would be good for them to implement, I think. Thanks for posting in this thread, this is an excellent post! :goodvibes For the scaling of the tickets, I still would appreciate an increasing discount per day for number of days spent in the Park, total. That is perhaps what you were speaking of when you mentioned the scaled costs. I LOVE the $5 card similar to Costco or Sam's!!! The cynic in me wonders why Disney has still not budged on this matter. We may be what they think is a 'drop in the bucket' now, but as we continue on with this thread, we will literally be getting the ball rolling. Soon the ball will be as big as the one in the Indiana Jones ride, and maybe Disneyland won't really find it in their best ($$$$ AND business-wise in regards to customer relations) interests to ignore our pleas.

Yes, the scaling was regarding a decreasing cost for each day that is added, much like it is now with the 3, 4, or 5 day PH. I apologize I was unclear on that point.

As for the $5.00 charge for the card, that is a huge windfall for DL/DCA. Once the system is up and running, the initial costs are mitigated by the revenue generated by that $5.00 charge. We buy those magnetic strip cards in bulk where I work as we use them for security badges. We pay approximately $0.50 per card (yes... 50 cents) which includes are company overlay artwork and logo. That's a $4.50 profit that can go directly to pay off the initial cost of the set up and programming and to pay for upgrades to the software and hardware. If people reuse their own cards to reload their tickets, DL/DCA is out very little, but, many people won't reuse them, so - cha-ching - another $4.50 in the Disney coffers.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to Disney until Sep. but have sold these tickets for a few years and we have not ever had a request for tickets longer than 5 days and I'm only the receptionist, but the agents in my southern alberta office say the same thing. It sounds like many of the same people keep complaining over and over and it sort of takes away of the excitement of going when the "regulars" are so indignanat and negative. Just go for 5 days or pay the money to go for an extra day. We are only there for 4 days and wouldlnt consider going for more when there is so much more to see around LA and beaches, etc. I am going with my aunt's two kids and even they aren't complaining about only 4 days there. IT just seems a little excessive to whine and complain when Disney has done their research ( and don't kid yourselves that Disney probably has some of the best researchers in the wordl) and you guys that are complaining are in the minority. Stop this and let this forum go back to planning things and being exciting and quit making people who have just joined and want to learn about Disney feel like we are all involved in some kind of protest. Jeez, we know that compaines do wlhat they need to do to profit themselves.

I understand your position, but by the same token, the profit exists because the customer spends his or her money at the parks. If you diminish the customer experience, then your profits drop. Disney is certainly iconic, but it isn't infallible. There is no downside to keeping a scaled ticket available to anyone who wants to purchase X number of days other than Disney wants to force consumers into purchasing a non-scaled ticket after five days. Even if Days 6/7/8/9/10 or whatever other number is set at, say, an extra $15, Disney is reaping profits from the money spent inside the park. Ice cream, churros, corn dogs, turkey legs, sodas, and candy are not loss leaders at DL or DCA.

With this new policy, however, Disney is now putting off those customers who won't be buying a full-fare ticket for days 6 and 7, and, they are losing the revenue generated inside the park from those lost customers. Does this only affect a few people? Perhaps. But why not side with the customer on this one. I can't imagine anyone saying, "I am so excited that I won't be getting a discount on Day 6 or 7 anymore!!!!"

Thank you for sharing this with us, this is very disheartening from the most recent response we had heard. This one gives no hope.

They stated:
Unfortunately, due to the frequent misuse of the 6-Day PARK HOPPER® ticket, we no longer provide this as a multi-day ticket option at the Box Office or through our website.

BUT they can still offer a 5 day Park Hopper?!? Seriously, what's the difference to them?

They also stated:
All of our theme park tickets are nontransferable, meaning the same individual must use all available days. Additionally, all of our ticket media is not for resale, may not be bartered, or exchanged for goods, services, and benefits.

I guess this is supposed to be an explanation as to how others were fraudulently abusing the tickets, but it still doesn't explain why a 5 day Park Hopper is ok but a 6 day one is not.

They stated:
You may be interested to know that there are various travel companies that will provide multi-day tickets for more than 5 days, however, they are usually restricted to Guests who are visiting from out of the country.

This is not true at this point AFAIK, unless NZ or Australia is still offering this, but I think they took all options away for Canadians who are visiting from out of the country.

They stated:
We can assure you that we try to meet the diverse needs of our Guests by offering a wide variety of ticket types.

How are they assuring you? You can choose from a 1 through 5 day option, but nothing longer than that, or pay through the nose per day by buying additional passes.

They stated:
In addition to our multi-day tickets, our Annual Passports are an affordable way for Guests to make multiple visits and experience all our Parks have to offer.

I am thinking... so many guests do not live close enough to merit multiple visits in a year.

So... what I am hearing in the reply that they sent you is...

So sad, too bad. :mad:

This would be the one time I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have Alaska considered a foreign country.
Yes, I do live in the United States. No, I do not make multiple trips to SoCal within a year.
Yes, I DO go to SoCal with Disneyland as my specific destination.
No, an annual pass is NOT a reasonable suggestion.

Yes, I do save for years to be able to afford a trip!

Yes, I have written via the email link, and received the same canned response.

VERY disappointed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter