Are there Disney movies you DON'T like? Classics, even?

I dislike several and have mixed feelings about others.

Ariel annoys me in The Little Mermaid - whiny, spoiled, bratty. And Ursula terrified the heck out of me as a kid, so I've only seen the movie through once. I love some of the songs, though.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame had no redeeming features I can see. It boggles my mind someone thought that book would make an appropriate kids' movie! Lust, torture, deformity, murder, infidelity, horrific racial stereotypes... good for the 3-5 demographic?

I used to dismiss Pocahontas as awful because of its butchering of history, but I've since come to appreciate the art. The scene where John and Pocahontas first see each other through the mist is so beautifully drawn, political issues aside... And "Colors of the Wind" is undeniably catchy. :p So I don't love it, but I like it better than I used to.

Thought Hercules was very poor on the whole, but I liked Megara and LOVED "I Won't Say (I'm in Love)". Awesome song! The animation during the "gods" scenes was appalling, though. Not Disney's usual standard at all.

Most of the sequels, particularly The Lion King 1 1/2, Mulan 2 and the Aladdin sequels. Again, the animation in Aladdin 2 was embarrassingly bad. Jasmine didn't move like Jasmine (or sound like her, of course!). Pocahontas 2 made John Smith a right so-and-so, thus destroying all the romance of the previous film.

I feel terribly guilty for saying this - I used to work at an arthouse cinema and I have a degree in film, so I "should" like this - but I was underwhelmed by Ratatouille. I love Brad Bird and I'm a huge cooking geek, so I expected to be blown away by the film. But I wasn't. It didn't seem to have the heart of the other Pixars, the characters weren't strong enough and the whole film was too long. I know the critics raved about it, but... (And I really enjoyed Cars, thus cementing my position as a plebeian with no finer feelings!)

I think it's called "Darby McGill and the Little People"? It scared the ever-living daylights out of me (the banshee and such in particular) as a child.
Also, "The 3 Lives of Thomasina" I think is a Disney movie, and not my favorite.

I agree on Darby o' Gill. That banshee will live on as the one thing in a Disney movie that made me clear the room.

Bambi
The Incredibles
Cars
Cinderella
Fox and Hound

Am I one of the only big supporters of The Black Cauldron?

Why does everyone seem to hate Mulan? It's my favorite movie of all time! But anyways here are the disney movies I don't like.

Cars:One of the worst movies I've ever seen. The worst disney movie imo. Oh wait I forgot about...

Home On The Range:I've been trying to forget this movie for a long time. The songs were bad (Besides Yodle Adle Eedle Idle oo). The characters were bad (Besides Alemeda Slim). And the story was terrible.

Fantasia and Fantasia 2000:No talking and hardly any action besides the fire bird in 2000,Night on Bald Mountain and The Sorcerer's Apprentice :wizard:

The Emperors New Groove:Probably the best movie I've mentioned. Really Funny but I didn't like anything else about it.

I really don't like Dumbo. I had forgotton how much I disliked it when I played it for my 4 year old...a little variety from the usual princess movies. It is depressing and a little racist!

I don't dislike Snow White, but I was surprised at how much it underwhelmed me when I watched it on DVD for the first time. I remember liking it more as a kid.

I like the Little Mermaid sequels, but could do without the Cinderella ones

The Incredibles
Ratatouille
A Bugs Life
Finding Nemo
The Wild
Any remake of live action movies (aka The Parent Trap, Freaky Friday)

I really don't like the straight-to-video sequels not just because they are bad but because they are intentionally made without any thought or care and intentionally sold straight to video to make huge profits. This makes for a bad movie, a slightly ruined original movie and it mocks the customer.

I also don't like Cars, Up other than Dug, Pinnochio and Newsies. There are more that I cannot think of right now.

Funny how tastes are so different! I'd have to say I really don't totally dislike anything. I just might not find them my taste such as The Incredibles and Cars my DS favorite). After Finding Nemo, which I loved, I don't have any warm and fuzzies for any Pixar until Wall-E which I loved. I also find Mary Poppins waaay too long. I fast forwarded to all of the music. Love Julie and Dick, but it was really dull in spots. Lilo and Stich was just annoying though I own the soundtrack,which I love.

The only one I really don't like and won't show it again to the kids is 101 Dalmations. I guess drinking, smoking, and name-calling when it was made was acceptable family fare. It's just nothing that I wanted to show to my kids after they saw it once.
Jessica

I honestly don't like a lot of the classics, not because they're old (I love Sleeping Beauty and Sword in the Stone after all) but I'm just not that into their storyline.

I'm not a huge fan of Show White or Dumbo, and I could take or leave Cinderella. I also don't really like Fox and the Hound because it's so depressing. I loved it as a kid, but when I got older it hit me just how depressing the storyline was. No thank you, none for me! And 101 Dalmations was my first experience of having read the book and liking it more than the movie.

suprisngly I love all of the movies, but their are exceptions:

I hate the Rescuers it just a boring film for me, I enjoyed the sequel (Rescuers Down under) though because it had awsome sequences and a better plot.

I didn't like the Black Caldron, it had a cool villian but other than that it just didn't feel disney to me, I also don't like The Fox and the Hound its way too depressing for me, Oliver & Co. and the Great Mouse Decective are the better of the 4 Disney Dark age flims.

I never disliked any of the Disney Reniassance films, I actually love them all.

Home On the Range was the stinker of the 2000-2009 animated movies, they could have done better with the western cartoon plot, I didn't like Bolt it just wasn't like the fairy tale cartoon films I was missing at that time.

As for my least favorite pixar film, it would be Wall-e, its just too artsy and dull, they throw in some humor, but the film marks Pixars decent into more serious cartoons.

As for my least favorite pixar film, it would be Wall-e, its just too artsy and dull, they throw in some humor, but the film marks Pixars decent into more serious cartoons.

See, I like Wall-E, but I agree with you on one point: This was when Pixar movies started to change. It's like they're trying extra hard to yank heartstrings and make everyone cry. And as much as I enjoyed it, I don't think Wall-E is one of Pixar's stronger films.

Wall-E has a lot of sadness. Up is heartbreaking. Toy Story 3 is an emotional roller coaster that dwells on endings, goodbyes, facing death, etc.

I love nearly all of Pixar's movies, but still, I hope they don't stray too far in this direction and churn out excessively dark or drippy films. I like fun and upbeat optimism.

It’s probably bad that the main movie I don’t like is pretty popular considering I love stuff like Sword in the Stone and Black Cauldron, but here goes…

I could not for the life of me get into Tarzan. I mean, yeah, the music and the animation are good, but the storyline and the characters kind of bored me a little, and I found Terk incredibly irritating.

Also not a fan of Atlantis, Home on the Range (does anyone like this movie?), Bolt, any of the D2V sequels, or pretty much any Pixar film made after Finding Nemo (to be fair, I haven’t seen Toy Story 3)

I don't like Snow White because it just bored me and also I didn't like the song the Seven Dwaves sing. The Hunchback of Notre Dame scared me when I watched it back when it first come out. Sleeping Beauty I think put me to sleep when I watched it. I can't believe people don't like Bedknobs & Broomsticks> I love watching that movie whenever it is on television and the tape I have.

I dont really like Dumbo and i really dont like the part of the movie were there are all the dancing elephants when Dumbo is drunk :confused3

It feels good to get this out! :lmao:

I don't like Peter Pan! There, I said it.

All the female characters are witchy or twits and the male characters are jerks. I'm always confused by the Tinkerbell fans who like her because she is "sassy"....Doesn't attempted murder due to jealousy extend slightly beyond sass and into psychotic?

It feels good to get this out! :lmao:

I don't like Peter Pan! There, I said it.

All the female characters are witchy or twits and the male characters are jerks. I'm always confused by the Tinkerbell fans who like her because she is "sassy"....Doesn't attempted murder due to jealousy extend slightly beyond sass and into psychotic?

Yeah, I don't think everyone realizes or remembers that Tinkerbell is slightly evil :rotfl: I don't like that movie too much either, though I am partial to Captain Hook.

Tink's nasty streak is exactly why I think they should have invented another fairy character instead of doing a series of Tinkerbell movies. I only saw the first one, but that character is *nothing* like the original Tink. She's more like a female version of Flik.

I don't like Ratatouille. The story is good but I can't get over the rats in the kitchen. -- shudder--

That is the precise reason that my SIL has never seen it. She does have a point, but that movie does inspire me to learn to cook! I just made a delicious Italian flatbread the other day, and I'm going to be making a chocolate cake with ganache frosting sometime this week. It is so much fun cooking and baking things from scratch. For that reason alone I tend to overlook the rats in the kitchen.

Hercules is too Disneyfied for my taste. Zeus a doting dad and loving husband? LOL Go back and read the myths Disney. Pocahontas is so historically inaccurate that it is insulting to her memory and that of her husband John Rolfe. I remember seeing The Black Cauldron as a child in a movie theater and loving it, but I fell asleep watching it last night. Cool villain!

Add my anime loving brother to the list of hating The Lion King~it's a rip off from a Japanese anime tv series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimba_the_White_Lion#The_Lion_King_controversy

I don't particulary like Atlantis, Home of the Range, and all of those horrible direct-to-DVD sequals. I've never seen Treasure Planet, and I don't think that I would like it. I don't like Old Yeller which has a sad ending, but that is not why I don't like it. I hate westerns. I hate John Wayne and I hate Clint Eastwood, two of the most over-rated actors/directors in history. I hate westerns.

Beauty & the Beast could have been better if they had originally released the movie in French with English subtitles. Residents in a French provincial town speaking English, I just cannot get past that. The characters don't even speak English with thick French accents. That is not authentic Disney. Beauty & the Beast is a perfect opportunity to expose children to French at a young age. BTW, all of Belles in Disney parks worldwide should be required to be fluent in French for guests who speak that language~after all she is a French character so the actress should have the capacity to speak French fluently. But at least the Beauty DVD has an option for French if I recall.

I love Alice in Wonderland film, the Lewis Carroll books, the Disneyland ride, etc. Ironically I can't stand Tim Burton's film even though his directorial vision is much closer to Lewis Carroll's books and ideas than the animated film is. Alice, along with Don Quixote, is one of the greatest characters in all of world literature. I guess a person loves the trippy nature of Lewis Carroll books or they don't. I love WALL-E. Once you have seen Kubrick's 2001 you will see references to HAL everywhere! As for Bambi-well, he grew up to have a nice rack as I recall - enough said.

It's funny, all this dislike for the Pinocchio film because of how disturbing and weird it is. In reality, it's a bit of sweet sugary fluff compared to the ORIGINAL story. Pinocchio squashed "Jiminy," was hanged by the neck until he nearly died, bit off the cat's paw, was tricked into thinking the blue fairy had died, watched his pal Lampwick die, was nearly fried up and eaten, etc. It was so horrible, it fascinated me as a kid.

Now I'm interested in reading the original Pinocchio story. It sounds similar to the original stories of the Brothers Grimm. That does not surprise me in the least that the original story is darker. Disney has to Disney-fy everything, and it really takes the magic out of the original stories. I'm starting to understand why my brother hates Disney films.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter