Are DVC "Perks" Really DVC Perks at All?

OK. That logic holds, of course. I thought to back earlier in the thread when someone implied benefits followed the sale. Sorry for the confusion.

HaHa that was me on day 1 of the thread. Thank you to those that get it.

However, the blue card asset is probably worth more on resale-if they chose to sell.
Huh? The blue card doesnt stay with the contract, if you buy resale you dont get a blue card now period. Only way to currently get a blue card is to have at least 150 direct points.
Ummmmmmmmm.........
My point was if a resale gets the benefits (after all), like the example being discussed-wouldn't it be easier to sell the asset on the used market?
So far, the resale market hasn’t suffered because of the change to needing the blue card.

And it was strong when everyone got them. I think the only sales helped is direct and even then, not sure how much.
Fair point, but I'm simply saying selling a resale would be easier if the AP discount was allowed on that resale.

It certainly wouldn't make it harder anyway.
In my view, it just makes the direct contract more valuable at resale.
How? I missed something.

Again. Those benefits don't move with the sale. That's the whole point.
But in this case access to sorcerer's AP is moving with the resale. If some potential direct buyer decides, "we don't need direct, we can buy sorcerer's with a white card" that means there will be more demand for the resale contracts which leads to a higher price.

If enough people do that , DVC will have to come up with some other replacement perk for blue card buyers that they wouldn't have to otherwise. Especially if it turns out ticketing is the department that decided they don't care about white vs blue card and told dvc to shove off with the restriction

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I think I will try to upgrade my hopper over the phone. If I provide them my DVC # and they still offer it, they should honor it when redeeming. Though I'm not going till January so who knows!

Spend your $500 in savings and go activate now LOL!

There are ticketing rules for who is a FL resident, linked from the ticketing website. These are Ticketing's rules, not DVC's, which are on the DVC website. I still can't find a Ticketing definition of who is DVC.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/tickets/proof-florida-address/

I was specifically referring to the announcement. It did not include that as part of it.

You have to go to the website to find It. Just like you go to the DVC website to find the rules for the DVC pass.

Now, should there be reference for DVC on the regular ticketing website? I don’t think there needs to be because it’s on DVC and owners know whether they are eligible for membership magic

This issue is really a disconnect between the divisions. So either CMs for ticketing are not following the rules or ticketing has decided to ignore the DVD rules and consider the white card a valid DVC card.

As I said, it doesn’t matter to me who gets it but it should be consistent. Either it’s all DVC or blue card.

I don't know about that, it would be about the equivalent of verifying Florida residency for resident tickets.
I think DVC has created a lot of confusion with their different tiers of membership, I know I have 3 different UY, all with different member numbers, and only 1 is technically qualified. When signing up for special events, I have had some problems sometimes getting qualified for it, and other times I have no problem. So if DVC has issues figuring it out, I'm guessing that Ticketing has a lot more.

I think DVC has created a lot of confusion with their different tiers of membership, I know I have 3 different UY, all with different member numbers, and only 1 is technically qualified. When signing up for special events, I have had some problems sometimes getting qualified for it, and other times I have no problem. So if DVC has issues figuring it out, I'm guessing that Ticketing has a lot more.

I think it still boils down to CM shortages and inadequate training. Like the several different answers I got when calling ticketing about my unactivated Gold pass for a Thanksgiving trip.

CM#1...You'll be fine, you have a Gold Pass.

CM#2... Nope, your pass will not be good for all the days of your trip

CM#3... You could NOT have purchased that Gold Pass voucher this year, we weren't selling them (I purchased it only a few months ago from AP Guest recovery)

CM#4... Well, no, it won't be good but let me fix it for you...they accessed my MDE and fixed it with special recovery days.

Last edited:
Boy, Disney really has been treating you Blue Card Elite pretty badly. No Incredipass discount. Letting us plebs buy the sorcerer pass anyway.

Maybe they’ll send y’all another backpack to make you feel like those five figures were worth it.
I have a couple that you white card holders can have. I have a couple of the drawstring ones also. They are all complete trash. But, my shiny blue card is AWESOME :)

who buys DVC to get discounted passes? those could be yanked at any time and we know it. If you're going to buy DVC, do it to get the accommodations.

who buys DVC to get discounted passes? those could be yanked at any time and we know it. If you're going to buy DVC, do it to get the accommodations.

We did. The AP savings covered the annual dues.

We know it could be taken away. We can’t base our math on where to buy, who to buy from and how many points, based on policy changes, but only with what information we have.

I think you could be on to something. DVD and DVC have many levels of membership depending on when, how, and for what resort the points were purchased. Someone not very familiar with these levels could see that the white card member has some perks, like staying at the original resorts, and let them get a Sorcerer pass. Then someone sees that a DVC card is needed and sees a white card without knowing a blue card is supposed to be required and none if those issues are on the member.

I think you could be on to something. DVD and DVC have many levels of membership depending on when, how, and for what resort the points were purchased. Someone not very familiar with these levels could see that the white card member has some perks, like staying at the original resorts, and let them get a Sorcerer pass. Then someone sees that a DVC card is needed and sees a white card without knowing a blue card is supposed to be required and none if those issues are on the member.

And, to be honest, if DVC/DVD really wanted to ensure there was no confusion, they could add a line to white cards that says "Not eligible for discounts, including special APs". Pretty simple solution.

The fact that they have not is interesting, IMO.

And, to be honest, if DVC/DVD really wanted to ensure there was no confusion, they could add a line to white cards that says "Not eligible for discounts, including special APs". Pretty simple solution.

The fact that they have not is interesting, IMO.
They probably never had to do so before, while it would be a simple solution. The Gold Passes likely had a blue card notation in the ticketing system.

I actually had it happen where we sold our points due to a situation in our family, right before a cash trip a few years ago (have since rebought) and I had already purchased AP vouchers a few months prior to the sale with DVC discount. When I went to activate them on the cash trip, they asked for the card and I paid full price or had to buy Platinum Plus, can't remember exactly. I do think as others have said, when they go to activate them, they will have to upgrade to Incredi-pass and pay that price.

I actually had it happen where we sold our points due to a situation in our family, right before a cash trip a few years ago (have since rebought) and I had already purchased AP vouchers a few months prior to the sale with DVC discount. When I went to activate them on the cash trip, they asked for the card and I paid full price or had to buy Platinum Plus, can't remember exactly. I do think as others have said, when they go to activate them, they will have to upgrade to Incredi-pass and pay that price.
Majority of the reports were people buying them in person and were activated then i think?

Ahhhh, okay. I didn’t read through all the posts. Well, then they lucked out!

It may be luck or it may not be. Right now, you have two divisions who are in conflict with each other on the passes. Per Disney website, it does say valid DVC card. Per DVC, a valid card is one that entitles you to membership magic.

However, CMs at the parks, and CMs on the ticketing line are allowing people with white cards to purchase. CM's for MS are not. So, the rules, per DVC are blue card only. In reality, ticketing is ultimately the one who decides when a guest activates it if they are going to accept the white card.

At this point, I can't believe that DVD has not heard of what is happening. If it continues where white card holders are allowed to activate the pass, then I'd say the ticketing rules won.

It may be luck or it may not be. Right now, you have two divisions who are in conflict with each other on the passes. Per Disney website, it does say valid DVC card. Per DVC, a valid card is one that entitles you to membership magic.

However, CMs at the parks, and CMs on the ticketing line are allowing people with white cards to purchase. CM's for MS are not. So, the rules, per DVC are blue card only. In reality, ticketing is ultimately the one who decides when a guest activates it if they are going to accept the white card.

At this point, I can't believe that DVD has not heard of what is happening. If it continues where white card holders are allowed to activate the pass, then I'd say the ticketing rules won.

It might also be that they are on the same page, but there's a workforce/training problem. When I was there last, there were more CMs in training than I've ever seen before. People training to drive busses, ticket sales, guest relations, ride operators, etc etc.

I don't have the actual work numbers for Disney but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't get as many people back to work as anticipated and now they're rushing through to train new staff...staff that might not be completely familiar with the rules.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter