Are DVC "Perks" Really DVC Perks at All?

WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran
It is being widely reported today that so-called "white card" members are being allowed to purchase Sorcerer's Passes at the FL resident discount price. Honestly, this doesn't surprise me in the least. As I posted on a FB group...

I'm not sure why everybody is so excited and confused by this. P&R are two completely separate entities. Parks can do whatever they want. They don't have to ask DVC's 'permission.' Everybody has assumed for years that this was a "DVC" perk. That may have never been the case at all.

Further, the 'perks' we receive may have nothing to do with DVC at all. There may not be any "negotiations" with P&R. There may have never been any. At all. For all we know, Parks is giving these perks to us on their own. Certainly most of the so-called 'perks' are park related, and they certainly benefit Parks and not DVC.

Have I had a true epiphany? Could we have been wrong all along, and have we been giving DVC far more credit than they deserved?

DPEP is and always has been in charge of whether DVC owners get included in FL passes or discounts,

But, from my information, once membership perks went into play, it was part of the negotiations with DVD on to who would be eligible.

I have a feeling you have CMs doing it because they don’t understand it. We have seen that with people getting DVC discounts before.

We shall see if we continue to get reports. One instance right now IMO is just pixie dust.

Could be. We shall see. I have always heard the same thing, but always from the ones it benefited most indirectly: DVC. I'm just not sure anymore. The more I think about it, the more my theory makes sense. It also makes a lot of other things make a lot more sense to me also.

The original announcement graphic made no distinguishment on types of DVC membership. Ticket personnel are some of the best trained team members there are. They have always known about the so-called 'blue card' ticket pricing model. They didn't magically forget that overnight. I think there's more afoot here. It's not beyond the realm of possibilities that Parks, and more specifically ticketing; heard so many complaints about DVC's establishment of a class system, that they just got tired of it and decided to give it to all members. After all, it's their gig. DVC is the one that turned it into a class system.

Last edited:
But when DPEP puts out announcements, they don't include all the little details of who qualifies. They did not for FL passes and if you read the new information on that, it no longer says being a FL resident, but proof of having a FL residence. Many, many property owners who are snowbirds have been getting these passes for years now with no issue.

Having said that, now that there is no additional discount for the Increi pass like Platinum, maybe so. We won't know until we get more reports of owners without a blue card being given the pass.

I would be surprised to find out that DPEP just decided based on DVC owners complaints and a class system. They themselves are the same way in terms of the things they do.

The original graphic I reposted in another thread made no distinguishment between types of DVC members. It simply said FL residents and DVC members. That was from announcement day.

I am a resale owner out of OH. When I go online, the only pass available to me is the Incredipass. Even though I could technically get around the system and buy FL/Resale Pass, don't you have to show proof to use of residency or blue card to use it? Or are these people at Disney World already and activated today? I don't know that those in a different state should attempt this without expecting to pay the total price upon arrival.

Is it possible that - although white card owners have reported being able to purchase Sorcerer AP vouchers - when they go to GS to exchange for real passes - they’ll be turned down…I’ve always had to present ID and my blue card at GS.

I expect it has more to do with 1) recently hired employees not knowing the policy and 2) there have already been massive complaints regarding the new structure and prices of the annual prices and at some point cast members are just trying to get through the day.

I'm sure it's mass chaos in that department at the moment. As for they're well trained, well that may be true before, but Disney laid off all these workers.

I don't believe it's any good will gesture from parks to white card DVC holders or a change in policy. Nothing out of Disney in the last few months has been because of good will. Look at the what they did today with third-party workers, it's all about increasing revenue and lowering expenses.

They'll be a memo from management in the coming days clarifying ticketing policies. But I say hey if you can get the discount, get it. Months back when ShopDisney offered a substantial discount off merchandise, some resale owners got the discount. That's what happens when you create two separate classes of DVC members.

It is being widely reported today that so-called "white card" members are being allowed to purchase Sorcerer's Passes at the FL resident discount price. Honestly, this doesn't surprise me in the least. As I posted on a FB group...
These are either poorly trained cast members or poorly designed IT that are letting these transactions go through. The policy is clear.

"To purchase the Disney Sorcerer Pass, Disney Vacation Club Members must be eligible for Membership Extras."

It doesn't get much more black and white than that.

These are either poorly trained cast members or poorly designed IT that are letting these transactions go through. The policy is clear.

"To purchase the Disney Sorcerer Pass, Disney Vacation Club Members must be eligible for Membership Extras."

It doesn't get much more black and white than that.

View attachment 603469
Thanks for posting this. It is odd that DVC makes it pretty clear but then the actual pass announcement doesn’t. Definitely seems like there is a disconnect between DVC and DPEP.

Definitely interested in how this plays out. Potentially a lot of angry blue card peeps and some very happy white card peeps 😀

I am a resale owner out of OH. When I go online, the only pass available to me is the Incredipass. Even though I could technically get around the system and buy FL/Resale Pass, don't you have to show proof to use of residency or blue card to use it? Or are these people at Disney World already and activated today? I don't know that those in a different state should attempt this without expecting to pay the total price upon arrival.

Right - I've always had to show my blue card when activating my AP

Potentially a lot of angry blue card peeps and some very happy white card peeps 😀

I haven’t seen DVC “class” warfare between members, but I’m new to ownership.

To me, a DVC member is DVC member no matter how they purchased. We all pay the same maintenance fees to the Mouse!

I’m happy if all DVC members can purchase Sorcerer APs. So many things have gone up in cost at Disney, for all of us, it’s good we all can get this pass.

However, this all may be a temporary oversight on the part of Disney. So, take advantage of it while you can!

Definitely an issue of CM not knowing what they are doing since this is happening only in person.

More power to brazzle not being upset if a white card pleb member got a pass discount, but I'd put money that the majority of The Blue Card Elite would be super pissed at having spent all that extra money for no reason if their main objective was to be able to get discounted passes.

View attachment 603470

So says the DVC site. I'm simply pointing out that Parks seems to make no distinguishment between the two. Even on announcement day. That's a pretty big screw up if somebody just 'forgot' to include it.
On the old Annual Pass page I don't believe it distinguished either. Gold pass just said Florida Residents or DVC members without mention of being a qualified/blue card member. That distinction was made on the DVC site just as it is now.

Definitely an issue of CM not knowing what they are doing since this is happening only in person.

More power to brazzle not being upset if a white card pleb member got a pass discount, but I'd put money that the majority of The Blue Card Elite would be super pissed at having spent all that extra money for no reason if their main objective was to be able to get discounted passes.

However, the blue card asset is probably worth more on resale-if they chose to sell.

We're about as "blue card elite" (Your words.) as it gets, and it doesn't upset me at all. I think any membership paying dues that holds a deed should be entitled to any benefit anyone else gets. If it upsets a class that DVD created explicitly for the sole purpose of selling more points direct, maybe those upset should re-evaluate their entitlement.

On the old Annual Pass page I don't believe it distinguished either. Gold pass just said Florida Residents or DVC members without mention of being a qualified/blue card member. That distinction was made on the DVC site just as it is now.

Kinda back full circle to my original assertion. DVC isn't the tail that wags the dog. Parks are. It isn't even a race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter