Are DVC folks still using the TIW cards? I see they are 150 now..

From the TiW website:
  • Tables in Wonderland is valid for one year from date of purchase.
My questions still stands: why have some members had the card issued for exactly one year from date of purchase, while other get the "13 month" extension?...and is there any trick to insuring that you get the longer expiration date?

I've already answered that question. See above, contact TIW if you have questions.
Then? Do as you see fit.

I've already answered that question. See above, contact TIW if you have questions.
Then? Do as you see fit.

Dean: Thanks for your very detailed answer, but you must be a seasoned politician, as it is an answer to a question I did not ask. Let me distill this down to the essence of the matter: Why did some of the posters buy a TiW card and have it issued for exactly one year from the date of purchase? I understand how to make it work so you can fit in multiple visits under one card, which I also want to, but my concern is why some get the "end of the next month" expiration and others get "exactly one year from purchase date"...and I think it probably has little to do with a rogue CM who is extending the computer generated dates. Is there any actual "policy" regarding this or is it up to the whim of the CM issuing the TiW card?

Dean: Thanks for your very detailed answer, but you must be a seasoned politician, as it is an answer to a question I did not ask. Let me distill this down to the essence of the matter: Why did some of the posters buy a TiW card and have it issued for exactly one year from the date of purchase? I understand how to make it work so you can fit in multiple visits under one card, which I also want to, but my concern is why some get the "end of the next month" expiration and others get "exactly one year from purchase date"...and I think it probably has little to do with a rogue CM who is extending the computer generated dates. Is there any actual "policy" regarding this or is it up to the whim of the CM issuing the TiW card?
Perhaps my explanation wasn't clear, because you interpreted it backwards. The rogue CM is cutting the expiration date short. The system-generated date is the end of the 13th month.

If you want certainty, you need to go somewhere other than Disney. Policy frequently varies from implementation.

I crunch the numbers based on our plans for each trip. We typically have 6-7 TS meals for an 8 day trip, plus QS at AK (which also offers discounts), and like to enjoy a few cocktails throughout our stay. The TIW has always saved us money, especially because we can often use it for 2 trips within 13 months. We only got one trip out of our last TIW, though it was a 10 day trip and we had a couple of expensive TS restaurants in the mix. We didn't save a ton on money, but it still worked out in our favor.

The expanded AP discounts change the ballgame, though we won't be back until November 2017 when 20 percent food discounts are gone. We'll crunch the numbers again as we get closer. If we at least break even, I'll probably get the TIW.

I am comparing TIW & 20% AP discount. Do you think it matter if only 2 of the 4 diners have APs? We have the APs & will be paying for DS & DDIL's dinners, so 20% should apply?

I am comparing TIW & 20% AP discount. Do you think it matter if only 2 of the 4 diners have APs? We have the APs & will be paying for DS & DDIL's dinners, so 20% should apply?

Yes the 20% will apply. From what I've read the AP discount applies to up to 4 people in your party.

Can anyone clarify how the length of the TiW is determined? Every time I have purchased in the past they were typically good for about another month, yielding 13 months. I now see some in this thread saying they received an expiration date exactly one year from their purchase date. We typically are at WDW once/year (using more points at Aulani these days) and go the weekend before Thanksgiving to the weekend after Thanksgiving. The 13 months length allows us to use the TiW card for two trips. If issued for exactly 365 days, that would limit to ONE trip--a big difference in how the math on the purchase works out.

Any clarification? If the CM issues the card at 365, can I whine and complain, or just plain sulk, to get them to extend?

Our new TIW card that we bought on Sept. 17th is valid until Oct. 31st next year. So still good for 13 months.

If you want certainty, you need to go somewhere other than Disney. Policy frequently varies from implementation.

Ain't that the truth. And it almost always errs in their favor, too.

I was able to order TIW over the phone despite what the web site says. The CM actually set up the order to automatically process on the 1st of the following month so we got the card in time for the next trip and was good for 13 months. They got even with me, though, by coming out with the 13 month AP a couple of weeks after I bought ours. Really nice.

Ain't that the truth. And it almost always errs in their favor, too.

I was able to order TIW over the phone despite what the web site says. The CM actually set up the order to automatically process on the 1st of the following month so we got the card in time for the next trip and was good for 13 months. They got even with me, though, by coming out with the 13 month AP a couple of weeks after I bought ours. Really nice.

GOOD for you :). You READ the data, WORKED WITH those excellent TIW folks... and won big time :). 13 month AP? Sadly, not their department :). But they did their BEST to get you a good solid 13 month TIW :).

We stopped using it. In order to reap the benefits, we'd have to spend more than $750 (break even point). Unless we travel with a group more than once the 12 month period, it no longer works for us. So we're out...

Bought on July 2 and it expires on July 2....but...
I just called again, and explained that I spoke to friends who had the different experience. This new CM told me that I probably had gotten a new CM originally who made a mistake. I will be receiving a new card with an expiration date of August 31, 2017!

Thank you Disboard folks, for helping me get what I should!!

Bobbi:)

My new card came today!

Bobbi:)

Can anyone clarify how the length of the TiW is determined? Every time I have purchased in the past they were typically good for about another month, yielding 13 months. I now see some in this thread saying they received an expiration date exactly one year from their purchase date. We typically are at WDW once/year (using more points at Aulani these days) and go the weekend before Thanksgiving to the weekend after Thanksgiving. The 13 months length allows us to use the TiW card for two trips. If issued for exactly 365 days, that would limit to ONE trip--a big difference in how the math on the purchase works out.

Any clarification? If the CM issues the card at 365, can I whine and complain, or just plain sulk, to get them to extend?

From the TiW website:
  • Tables in Wonderland is valid for one year from date of purchase.
My questions still stands: why have some members had the card issued for exactly one year from date of purchase, while other get the "13 month" extension?...and is there any trick to insuring that you get the longer expiration date?

If you read my earlier posts, I had gotten a card that expired 1 year from the date of purchase. After reading this thread I called and waited to speak with someone who told me that I had gotten an inexperienced CM who issued the card. Today I received a card that is valid for the 13 months as they had been valid previously.

If you get a card that expires too soon, call them!

Bobbi

We stopped getting the TiW just this past year. We did get it for about 6 years in a row prior to that. It is no longer the value that it was.

We've got two trips planned and at least one we will not have a kitchen so I am thinking it will make sense for us this year, especially because of the added restaurants that we love or want to love (Skippers, Spice Road, Jock Lindseys, Tiffins, Nomad...) We pretty much reevaluate each year.

If you read my earlier posts, I had gotten a card that expired 1 year from the date of purchase. After reading this thread I called and waited to speak with someone who told me that I had gotten an inexperienced CM who issued the card. Today I received a card that is valid for the 13 months as they had been valid previously.

Bobbi

Thanks for the clarification. It appears that, contrary to what it says on the TiW website (Tables in Wonderland is valid for one year from date of purchase) the default policy is actually to issue the card for the 13 month period. That's good news.

Bobbi

GOOD for you! Really, the TIW folks are WONDERFUL - they WILL work with you to get that extra month :).

Someone told me a while back on the restaurant board that the extra month was to allow for processing & mailing time.

Mine expired on Sept 30 but I renewed on October 1. So, my card is actually good for 14 months.

MG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter