AP upgrade and Memory Maker question

Ariel620

DIS Veteran
I plan to upgrade my 8D PH tickets to a DVC member AP (Gold) in Dec. I do not want to upgrade early since some of the days we are going in Dec are blacked out for Gold pass. I like to have memory maker during the trip (not just after), so.... if I buy memory maker now, will I get credit for that in addition to the credit for the 8D PH when I upgrade? If I don't get the MM credit, I will just wait until I upgrade since it will be included for free, but I'm hoping I would get credit, since I would like to download pictures during the trip, not just after we leave.

Another thing that might help... if the above MM credit doesn't work out, here is another question. When does my current memory maker end? I had a AP that expired in June. I assume I won't be able to use that MM in Dec, but it doesn't seem to be disconnected yet. I can still download pictures today (a few weeks since my AP expired).

Any thoughts?

I plan to upgrade my 8D PH tickets to a DVC member AP (Gold) in Dec. I do not want to upgrade early since some of the days we are going in Dec are blacked out for Gold pass. I like to have memory maker during the trip (not just after), so.... if I buy memory maker now, will I get credit for that in addition to the credit for the 8D PH when I upgrade? If I don't get the MM credit, I will just wait until I upgrade since it will be included for free, but I'm hoping I would get credit, since I would like to download pictures during the trip, not just after we leave.
It doesn't matter if you don't order MM in advance.
You'll get ALL of your photos included whenever you do the AP upgrade.
But, if you want to buy MM before the trip, you can, and you will get that "refunded"
during the AP upgrade (remember to ask for it.)

Another thing that might help... if the above MM credit doesn't work out, here is another question. When does my current memory maker end? I had a AP that expired in June. I assume I won't be able to use that MM in Dec, but it doesn't seem to be disconnected yet. I can still download pictures today (a few weeks since my AP expired).
I have no idea.
It could work today and not work tomorrow or next week or... who knows?\
But, there's no need to worry about the MM refund "not working out."

Last edited:
I'm not sure you can upgrade to Gold if you enter the park on blackout dates. I believe they will make you upgrade to at least platinum. I know if you have a park hopper plus and go into a water park before you upgrade they will make you upgrade to a platinum plus.

I'm not sure you can upgrade to Gold if you enter the park on blackout dates. I believe they will make you upgrade to at least platinum. I know if you have a park hopper plus and go into a water park before you upgrade they will make you upgrade to a platinum plus.
Not the same "rules" covering these two kind of situations.

Not the same "rules" covering these two kind of situations.
That's a good little trick if you are going during a blacked out time and want to upgrade after you enter the parks on those days. Maybe we shouldn't say it too loud.

It doesn't matter if you don't order MM in advance.
You'll get ALL of your photos included whenever you do the AP upgrade.
But, if you want to buy MM before the trip, you can, and you will get that "refunded"
during the AP upgrade (remember to ask for it.)

I have no idea.
It could work today and not work tomorrow or next week or... who knows?\
But, there's no need to worry about the MM refund "not working out."

I'm sorry that I'm tagging along into this conversation, please confirm that we don't have to get the MM before we upgrade to the Gold AP and that we can take pictures during the days before and they would be included in the MM once we updgrade. We always had the AP's expect for this time, but I was not aware that you can still use your Magic bands and load pictures even if you don't have MM.
thank you for you help!

I'm sorry that I'm tagging along into this conversation,
1. please confirm that we don't have to get the MM before we upgrade to the Gold AP
2. and that we can take pictures during the days before and they would be included in the MM once we updgrade. We always had the AP's expect for this time,
3. but I was not aware that you can still use your Magic bands and load pictures even if you don't have MM.
1. You don't need to.
2. The photos taken when your card/MB is scanned all go into your MDX account.
You only need to concern your self with "paying for them."
And, once you secure the MM by getting an AP, the photos will all be available to you.
3. The photographers take the photos, you scan your card or MB and the images are immediately sent to your MDX file.

I have had some issue with guest services refunding me my MM cost after we used it. I got them to do it but they weren't happy about it and said it wasn't normal. I'd avoid paying for it and just wait until you get your AP to download photos.
Going to try the ticket to AP upgrade this Christmas too. Hopefully won't have an issue.

You do NOT have to get MM before you upgrade to an AP. Anyone can have photo pass pictures taken at any time, whether you have an AP, MM or not. Normal PP photos will show up on your account for 30 days after the photo was taken. The same goes for MM. The only difference is that with MM you can download all your photos at no additional cost. Note that after 30 days, your pictures ARE NOT DELETED. Your access to them is just "closed". It is unclear when, or even "if" Disney ever deletes photos (storage is cheap - generally cheaper that the effort required to delete stuff)

With an AP, you do not get MM. You get access to all your photos for a rolling 365 day window. So if you activate an AP today (Sept 26, 2019), you will have access to any photos in your account from Sept 26, 2018 through today. That will include photos taken back in Feb that haven't shown in your account for 6 months. That window will roll forward every day for the year your AP is valid. Each photo taken during the active AP time frame will remain available to you for 365 days - even those taken on the last date the AP was valid.

What that all means is that photos taken before the AP is activated, but were taken within the previous year, will all magically reappear in your account once the AP is activated. I've personally seen it happen on a couple of occasions.

What you get with an AP is significantly better than "just" MM.

Steve

I have had some issue with guest services refunding me my MM cost after we used it. I got them to do it but they weren't happy about it and said it wasn't normal. I'd avoid paying for it and just wait until you get your AP to download photos.
Going to try the ticket to AP upgrade this Christmas too. Hopefully won't have an issue.
What you had trouble with was a CM.
Some of them get it in their heads to "save the company money."

Sorry that happened to you.

I'm sorry that I'm tagging along into this conversation, please confirm that we don't have to get the MM before we upgrade to the Gold AP and that we can take pictures during the days before and they would be included in the MM once we updgrade. We always had the AP's expect for this time, but I was not aware that you can still use your Magic bands and load pictures even if you don't have MM.
thank you for you help!

Thank you !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter