Anyone have recipes for using pie filling but not in pies!

okay, these recipes sound soooo good that i am adding pie filling to my grocery list! thanks for sharing :)

tarheelmjfan said:
blanq,
I definitely want to make the lemon bars, but I don't think I have a jelly roll pan. Unless, it's in there & just hasn't been used in a very long time. :blush: Is there anything else I can use? TIA :)

Hi tarheelmjfan! We haven't run into each other in awhile, since we corresponded a bit last summer before our Alaska cruises. If you have some time, PM me, as I would love to hear how you liked your cruise!

Making this recipe without a jelly roll pan should not be a problem. I would just substitute a 9"x13" pan. Obviously this will mean that the bars are thicker, and you'll need to cook them a bit longer, but they should turn our fine. I can't tell you how long to bake, but I would just bake until the center is done (check with a toothpick).

bhoffman said:
Here is an awesome one. Brown 4 - 5 pork chops in skillet. Place them in a baking dish (I put 4 in a 8X8 pyrex pan). Put one can of apple pie filling on top. Then, prepare Stove top stuffing, put on top of the apples and pork chops. Heat in a 350 oven for 50 minutes. Enjoy. It is INCREDIBLE!! Let me know if you make it and if you enjoy it! :thumbsup2
I made this last night. :thumbsup2

I had a recipe without the apple pie filling, in which you brown the pork chops & set them aside. Then deglaze the pan using apple juice. (Deglazing is scraping & stirring up the browned bits of meat & drippings in the pan with a liquid, to be used for a gravy.) Add enough apple juice (in place of water) to make the stuffing mix. Then add the pork chops back in, cover the skillet and heat gently until the chops are done.

The apple juice a & drippings really add flavor & zing to the stuffing and unify all the flavors. However, I never thought to add the apple pie filling, which it really needs. :cool1: It definitely put the recipe over the top last night! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

It is definitely a keeper. :love: I added cinnamon to the apple filling & next time will add some re-plumped up raisins & maybe chopped walnuts. Yum! :) However, I will continue to keep the stuffing on the bottom so the juices from the pork chops, as they continue to cook, will keep flavoring the stuffing. :cheer2: (I also added a couple of tablespoons of the pie filling directly into the stuffing mix while preparing it, also to unify the flavors while cooking.)

I'm sure the pie filling, stuffing & pork chops can be adapted for chicken instead, too. I think I will try that next. Maybe use peach pie filling and orange juice with chicken.:cheer2:

OP, thanks for this thread. I've been looking for jarred/canned apples to make a quick & easy, warm compote or apple crisp, but didn't know where to look. I kept looking in the jams/preserves section & in the canned fruit section, but there just wasn't any canned apples :confused3 other than apple sauce. I didn't know I should be looking for apple pie filling.

After a while, pork chops with apple sauce just doesn't hit the spot when I wanted actual chunks of apples. Peeling, cutting, coring& cooking and apple to make a small compote or crisp was too much work. Now I can just open a can and add the extras! :cool1:

We also use Cherry for Dump Cake. My recipe is a little different.

Cherry Pie filling
Crushed Pineapple undrained
Yellow cake mix
3/4 cup butter chopped
1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped pecans

Place in the order listed in large greased pan. Bake at 325 for 1 hour.

YUM!

I found a few more variations of dump cakes:

Large can of pears, with the juice, and dump it into a greased cake pan. Sprinkle a package of blueberry muffin mix over the top. Slice up 3 - 4 Tbsp of butter and dot top of cake mix and bake at about 400 until it's bubbly and the top is browned. SOOOO delicious. (This first one was published in Taste of Home's Quick Cooking a while back.)

Variations:
Pour One large can of peach pie filling in a 9x13 cake pan, sprinkle one spice cake mix over the top, dot with butter and bake.

OR:
2 cans Apple Pie Filling
1 (18 oz) Duncan Hines Caramel Cake Mix
1 stick of butter or margarine (cut into pats or melted)

Dump pie filling into a 9"x13" baking pan. Dump cake mix evenly over pie filling. Dot top with pats of butter or pour melted butter over mix. Place in 350 degree oven and bake 35 or so minutes. The top will be golden brown and bubbly.

OR:
This is a WW recipe. Mix a 15 oz-ish can of pumpkin and a box of spice cake mix and an egg or two egg whites if you want to cut the fat even more. The egg/egg white helps it rise like a normal cake. Put in greased non-stick muffin pan, bake according to cake package. Yummy!

Sarah'sMomfrom PA said:
A friend of mine gave me lots of individual pouches of pie filling in various flavors and I was looking for a recipe for anything but pies that I could use this in (I will also post on the recipe board) so as not to waste it...always try to be budget conscious and I have learned so much on these boards...thanks in advance!

I have never seen "packets" of pie filling--only cans. I wonder if packets are a regional thing...

Great thread, BTW!

I used to make a recipe that my mom had handed down to me but I hadn't been able to find the recipe in years....uses pie filling...I was cleaning out a box on my patio this weekend and I found the recipe! So here it is!

Cherry Easy Time Squares

1 1/2 cups sugar
2 sticks (1 cup) margarine
4 eggs
2 cups flour
1 Tbls. lemon extract (or use your favorite)
1 can of favorite pie filling

Beat sugar and margarine. Add eggs one at a time. Add flour and flavoring.

Spread into a greased 13 x 9 pan. Make an indentation on the top of the mixture to make 20 squares and put a spoonful of the pie filling in the middle of each square.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar over the entire top. The pie filling actually sinks in the middle of the square.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter