Anyone have recipes for using pie filling but not in pies!

crisi said:
That was a Pillsbury bake off winner (or runner up) years ago. Add a little almond extract if you have it.

My Pillsbury bake-off recipe calls for a cake mix, instead of a brownie mix. This is my DH's favorite cake. I have tried making this with a brownie mix and the texture was very odd. Well, here's my recipe, along with a couple more:

Chocolate Cherry Fudge Brownies
1 pkg devil's food cake mix
21 oz can cherry pie filling
1 tsp. almond extract
2 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9 x 13" pan. Combine ingredients in large bowl. Stir by hand until well mixed. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

For the frosting: While cake cools, in a small saucepan melt 1 C. sugar, 5 T. butter and 1/2 C milk; bring to a boil and boil rapindly for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add 1/2 of a 12 oz. pkg of chocolate chips to the boiling mixture and stir until smooth. Pour hot frosting over cake and spread.

Cherry Rhubarb Freezer Jam
7 C. cut-up rhubarb
4 C sugar (note: I have used 3 C with success)
1 can cherry pie filling
2 3oz. pkgs cherry jello

Combine rhubarb and sugar; let stand for 4 hours or overnight. Boil for 10 minutes. Add cherry pie filling and boil for 1 more minute. Stir in jello until dissolved. Cool slightly. Process small batches in the blender, until smooth. Transfer to jars. Let cool to room temperature. Put lids on. Freeze.

You can use this basic recipe and mix up the pie filling and jello flavors. For example: blueberry pie filling and black raspberry jello, or peach pie filling and peach jello.

Cherry Macaroon Parfaits
1 small box instant vanilla pudding
3 C. cold milk
1 can cherry pie filling
1/4 tsp. almond extract
6 macaroon cookies, crumbled
Whipped cream

Prepare pudding with milk. Combine pie filling with almond extract. Alternate layers of pudding, cookies, and pie filling in 6'' parfait glasses (clear plastic cups work well too). Top with whipped cream.

Oh, if you have any lemon pie filling, here is one more easy recipe:

Lemon Bars
1 pkg. lemon cake mix
3 eggs
1 can lemon pie filling

Mix all of the ingredients together and bake in a jelly roll pan at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Frost with cream cheese frosting.

My Mom makes a great fruit salad. All you need to do is combine whatever fruit you want - we usually use grapes, strawberries, blueberries, etc - then mix all the fruit with a can of peach pie filling. The pie filling puts a light glaze over all the fruit, and it is really good. This recipe is easy, and great for these hot summer days.

Shagley said:
My Mom makes a great fruit salad. All you need to do is combine whatever fruit you want - we usually use grapes, strawberries, blueberries, etc - then mix all the fruit with a can of peach pie filling. The pie filling puts a light glaze over all the fruit, and it is really good. This recipe is easy, and great for these hot summer days.

Oh, this brings back childhood memories for me! My grandmother used to make this, but with apricot pie filling. It is so good! I haven't had this for years, and you have inspired me to make this. I will try it with peach pie filling as you suggest.

hezreck said:
DUMP CAKE A little different than other one

1 can apple pie filling
1 can crushed pineapple (drained)
1 box yellow cake mix
1 stick margarine

In a 9x13 pan pour pie filling and pineapple, spread evenly.
Pour cake mix on top, spread evenly
Cut stick of butter into 20 slices and lay evnely spaced on cake mix.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until slightly browned.

This is a recipe I make alot...easy and good!

You could always use some Puff Pastry to make several different types of things.

Cherry (or Apple) Glop

1 Package Pie Filling in bottom of 8x8 pan.

Mix 1 white cake mix with 1 stick melted butter. It will end up as crumbles. Top pie filling with with cake mix.

Bake at 350 until top is browned.

It is very good (even though the name sounds yucky).

hezreck said:
DUMP CAKE A little different than other one

1 can apple pie filling
1 can crushed pineapple (drained)
1 box yellow cake mix
1 stick margarine

In a 9x13 pan pour pie filling and pineapple, spread evenly.
Pour cake mix on top, spread evenly
Cut stick of butter into 20 slices and lay evnely spaced on cake mix.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until slightly browned.

Try cherry pie filling instead of apple with the pineapple. I dislike cherries but love this! People are impressed that even "LISA" can bake something (then they realize how incredibly easy it is) I also add some chopped walnuts to the top and melt the butter and drizzle it on rather than using slices.

We make a fruit salad similiar to the one above...

1 container of frozen strawberries, thawed
1 can peach pie filling
1 can chunk pineapple
2 bananas

Mix first three. Then right before serving, slice the bananas and stir in. So good with that Christmas ham!!

Kate

This is my aunt's recipe and it is sooooooo goooood!!!

1 c. Margarine or oleo
3/4 c. sugar
2.5 c. crushed pretzels
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese softened
1.5 c. powdered sugar
2 pkg Cool Whip
1 can cherry pie filling

Heat and stir margarine and sugar until blended. Add 2.5 cups crushed pretzels and press into 9X13 inch pan, reserving 3/4 cup. Blend cream cheese and p. sugar. Fold in Cool Whip. Spread half over crust. Carefully spoon on pie filling, spread remaining Cool Whip mix. Sprinkle with remaining pretzels. Refridgerate at least 4 hours.

merekc said:
This is my aunt's recipe and it is sooooooo goooood!!!

1 c. Margarine or oleo
3/4 c. sugar
2.5 c. crushed pretzels
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese softened
1.5 c. powdered sugar
2 pkg Cool Whip
1 can cherry pie filling

Heat and stir margarine and sugar until blended. Add 2.5 cups crushed pretzels and press into 9X13 inch pan, reserving 3/4 cup. Blend cream cheese and p. sugar. Fold in Cool Whip. Spread half over crust. Carefully spoon on pie filling, spread remaining Cool Whip mix. Sprinkle with remaining pretzels. Refridgerate at least 4 hours.

Wow! This is the first variation on Strawberry Pretzel Dessert that I have ever seen. Usually the top is strawberry jello made with frozen strawberries and is a favorite at our house. This sounds great too! ::yes:: More like a cheesecake with a pretzel crust. Yummy. :)

I'm definitely going to try the pork chop recipe. Now, I just need to decide whether to use apple or cherry pie filling. :scratchin

The tortilla dessert has found it's way onto this week's menu also. :teeth: I'm making quesadillas tomorrow night, & they will be perfect for dessert.

The different varieties of dump cake sound good as well. Does anyone put frosting on them? I'm not sure my family would eat a cake w/o frosting. I can give it a try though.

blanq,
I definitely want to make the lemon bars, but I don't think I have a jelly roll pan. Unless, it's in there & just hasn't been used in a very long time. :blush: Is there anything else I can use? TIA :)

tarheelmjfan said:
The different varieties of dump cake sound good as well. Does anyone put frosting on them? I'm not sure my family would eat a cake w/o frosting. I can give it a try though.

This cake bakes up kind of like a coffee cake, so I don't think that frosting would work well on this. A dollop of Cool Whip might work though. :)

We use it on waffles (heated).

We also have a little sandwich maker. If you buy white bread, lightly butter it, fill with pie filling, grill (and it will seal shut) and then put a little powdered sugar on top.....it is just like a turnover! Very easy, cheap and the kids love it.

Dawn

DawnM said:
We also have a little sandwich maker. If you buy white bread, lightly butter it, fill with pie filling, grill (and it will seal shut) and then put a little powdered sugar on top.....it is just like a turnover! Very easy, cheap and the kids love it.

Dawn

Mountain Pies!!! A Girl Scout camp staple! Great suggestion! :)

luvsgrumpy said:
Try cherry pie filling instead of apple with the pineapple. I dislike cherries but love this! People are impressed that even "LISA" can bake something (then they realize how incredibly easy it is) I also add some chopped walnuts to the top and melt the butter and drizzle it on rather than using slices.

I always make it with cherries, too. And nuts on top are a must. Served warm with vanilla ice cream, it is amazing.

tarheelmjfan said:
I'm definitely going to try the pork chop recipe. Now, I just need to decide whether to use apple or cherry pie filling. :scratchin

The tortilla dessert has found it's way onto this week's menu also. :teeth: I'm making quesadillas tomorrow night, & they will be perfect for dessert.

blanq,
I definitely want to make the lemon bars, but I don't think I have a jelly roll pan. Unless, it's in there & just hasn't been used in a very long time. :blush: Is there anything else I can use? TIA :)

No frosting needed! It isn't really a cake, it is more like a cobbler. The cake mix turns into something like a crumb topping. IMPORTANT TO REMIND EVERYONE THAT THE CAKE MIX GOES ON DRY--STRAIGHT FROM THE BOX! This is why it is called DUMP cake--you just open and dump all the ingredients in (except for the butter--I don't like margarine--you melt that first.)

BethR said:
Wow! This is the first variation on Strawberry Pretzel Dessert that I have ever seen. Usually the top is strawberry jello made with frozen strawberries and is a favorite at our house. This sounds great too! ::yes:: More like a cheesecake with a pretzel crust. Yummy. :)

this sound great anyone try it out yet????

Here's 2 more...

1) I have a quesadilla maker and the recipe book it came with suggested filling with apple pie filling before grilling - yum! (and easy!) <edit> Let me clarify, ONLY pie filling goes in the tortillas (not chicken and cheese - yuk for dessert!) :lmao:

2) On Semi-Homemade (cooking channel show), Sandy filled a store-bought angel food cake center with pie filling, and then frosting the entire thing with cool-whip topping. I've made this several times - SO EASY and people love it! :cloud9:

Since I'm from NE and I love apple picking time I usually use apple pie filling with walnuts, but I suppose any pie filling would work.

Simply make french toast, top with pie filling (perhaps add nut of your choice) bake for about 10 mins. Yummy! Now I can't wait for Apple picking season to begin. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter