Anyone have Gallbladder surgery????!

I had mine out in 2005. There was a long waiting list for the surgery here and each attack got progressively worse. I was in the E.R. repeatedly for pain management. It was awful. The last attack it was so swollen it protruded from my abdomen and the shot of morphine didn't do anything for my pain. I was in agony and they did Emergency surgery. Because of that I always suggest to anyone to get it out before it gets to that point. The surgery itself was nothing compared to the months of attacks and E.R. visits. I was laid up on the couch after surgery for a few days, back at work by Monday and haven't had any problems since.:)

ETA) I've had to be more careful of what I eat since then. Very fatty or greasy foods upset my stomach so I avoid them, but that's not really a bad thing to be honest.

I had mine removed last July. The doctor used some sort of robotic arm to do the laproscopic surgery (outpatient). All I have now are 4 small scars about the size of a pencil eraser. I was pretty sore after surgery for about a week. But my husband made me get up and walk frequently so I think that helped a lot. The most painful thing was getting in and out of bed.

Sleep in a recliner. I remember my first night at home after surgery. I was OK till it tried to get into, move around in, or tried to get out of bed. You don't realize how many abdominal muscles you use doing those movements. I sat in a recliner and noticed how easy it was to get in and out of it - you are just using your arm and leg muscles for those movements. That's where I slept the rest of my recovery, and everyone I've suggested this too since then that has had GB surgery has commented on how much it helped them.

I had mine taken out a couple years ago. I had hyperemesis with my last pregnancy and that seems to be where my troubles began because I was also having gallbladder problems, but the symptoms were masked by the hyperemesis. I was put in the hospital when it progressed to pancreatitis and after doing a bunch of tests in the hospital my doctor decided it needed to come out right then, so there was no choice for me. Some people are able to deal with gall stones for years, but if you start to have complications the doctor will want to take the gallbladder.

The worst complication was that I pulled a muscle in my stomach a couple days after my surgery, I guess I was trying to do too much physically.

This is me almost exactly when I was pregnant with DS. I was diagnosed with hyperemesis at 11 1/2 weeks and then the gall stones at 16 weeks. Thankfully mine did not progress to pancreatitis! I was able to modify my diet to stop most of the attacks until after I delivered my son. I have the laparascopic cholesystectomy when he was 7 weeks old, but mine was day surgery so I went home a few hours later. I also pulled a muscle near the stomach incision so I was in a lot of paid from that but no more gallstones! 8 years later, I only have some issues (diarrhea) if I eat really fatty foods.

I never realized until it happened to me, that this is a common issue in pregnancy!

I have found out I have gallstones and they are talking about gallbladder surgery. Is there any way to push the stone out and not have the gallbladder removed? If you had one removed what can I expect and do you feel better. I keep reading horror stories online and am freaking out.

Can certainly sympathize with you! Had my gallbladder out 7 months ago - not because of acute attacks - but from continual soreness/achy side of tummy - ultrasound showed a large one plus smaller ones.

Tried to get out of it, but surgeon assured me that a severe attack could be in my future with the larger one blocking the bile duct, then all hopes of having a laproscopy procedure would be out. Said emergency surgeries are far more serious.

Was outpatient, and everything went well. Very sore for first week, then great improvement every day. Watched my diet (especially fats) the first few weeks then gradually added them back.

All was fine until around the 6 month post op, I started developing diarrhea out of the blue - no rhyme or reason - and it was 'very' urgent. Still having the problem 1-2 times a week and is very frustrating with little warning. Still hoping it will pass.

Most people have no lasting symptoms, as few 'always' have digestive issues, and was told 'some' have to take something for it with no end in site - hoping I can soon get past it - doesn't seem to matter 'what' I eat when it happens.

A very good luck to you! I understand your nervousness as I, too, was freaking out about it. :flower3:

My 20DD had her gallbladder removed 2 weeks ago. 1 small incision thru her bellybutton. Can't even tell anymore. She was sore for about 4 days and and has had a few problems processing fats - but she has a double whammy of having Acid Reflux Disease too - so that has compounded her problems. Right now the doctors think she has a problem with how her esophagus connects to her stomach. Thankfully, she is now back in college and in her normal routine to keep her mind off her health issues.

Including my mother, a nurse.

It is a very routine surgery, generally very simple with an easy recovery. It is almost always done laproscopically outpatient. And most who have it done feel remarkably better after. The gall bladder is an unnecessary organ.

Get the surgery--yes, it is surgery, which does entail risks, and there is a brief uncomfortable recovery but the long term benefits far outweigh the short term discomfort.

Can certainly sympathize with you! Had my gallbladder out 7 months ago - not because of acute attacks - but from continual soreness/achy side of tummy - ultrasound showed a large one plus smaller ones.

Tried to get out of it, but surgeon assured me that a severe attack could be in my future with the larger one blocking the bile duct, then all hopes of having a laproscopy procedure would be out. Said emergency surgeries are far more serious.

Was outpatient, and everything went well. Very sore for first week, then great improvement every day. Watched my diet (especially fats) the first few weeks then gradually added them back.

All was fine until around the 6 month post op, I started developing diarrhea out of the blue - no rhyme or reason - and it was 'very' urgent. Still having the problem 1-2 times a week and is very frustrating with little warning. Still hoping it will pass.

Most people have no lasting symptoms, as few 'always' have digestive issues, and was told 'some' have to take something for it with no end in site - hoping I can soon get past it - doesn't seem to matter 'what' I eat when it happens.

A very good luck to you! I understand your nervousness as I, too, was freaking out about it. :flower3:

This diarrhea could have absolutely nothing to do with your surgery...

But do keep a record of your diet--those with no gall bladders often note problems if they eat meals with too high of fats

Could also be a wheat and/or gluten or lactose issue.

Only elimination of these items then re-introducing them will tell you if it is them..

Could also be IBS.

I passed a gallstone while at WDW. they had to take me off the monorail on a stretcher. You do not want to pass a gallstone. Get it out, if they can do it laparoscopically it's not a big deal.

DH had his out several years ago. He was having attacks more and more frequently and had a large build-up of small stones. He said he wanted to try something else before surgery so doctor recommended a cleanse. That did work temporarily, but his gall bladder just made more not too long after. Ended up getting the surgery, was out of the hospital the same day, on a plane the week after and has been perfectly fine since. So not worth the pain when the solution is relatively easy.

I had mine out in 2000. It was super easy. I had been having attacks for six months prior during my pregnancy. They had me in tears. No problems after the surgery and no problems since.
Similar story, though I'm male. I remember crying in pain in the waiting room of radiologist's office. Was sent straight to a GI doc from there. GI doc sent me to the ER to have it out immediately because it was swollen and in danger of rupturing.

I had attacks for several months which were misdiagnosed as lots of different GI issues...I was lead to believe I was an unusual case, being a normal weight 24 year old male, so they weren't looking for gall stones.

I had to be in the hospital two nights following the surgery. I think my procedure was more invasive than normal, since it was an emergency.

No problems other than the extra time for recovery. I'm very happy with the outcome and eat pretty much anything now. When I have something really bad/fatty, I sometimes get indigestion, but who's to say I wouldn't have that anyway?

The gall bladder is an unnecessary organ.

Totally disagree! The gall bladder is a 'very' useful organ. It stores bile made by the liver and releases it as needed into the intestines. Otherwise the liver just dumps the bile as it is made, and trust me that doesn't always work real well! Can we survive without it? Totally, and most people have no problems, but that doesn't mean it is an 'unnecessary' organ by no means!

This diarrhea could have absolutely nothing to do with your surgery...

But do keep a record of your diet--those with no gall bladders often note problems if they eat meals with too high of fats

Could also be a wheat and/or gluten or lactose issue.

Only elimination of these items then re-introducing them will tell you if it is them..

Could also be IBS.

Totally understand what you are saying, but in my case these factors seem to have nothing to do with that. I have been closely tested - My Dr. says some people just get these issues no matter how they eat after surgery. I'm just thankful mine is not every day, but once or twice a week - large meal, small, fats, little fats - totally random.

Well I got my report that says gallstones and now I read that I have two cysts on my liver. The smallest one being complex--whatever that means. This all came on so fast... I make an appointment with GI next :(

I had mine removed at the beginning of May. I knew I had gallstones, but I didn't want to go to the doctor and have it confirmed. :rolleyes1 One day I had to leave work, threw up every few miles on the hour drive home and ended up at the urgent care. They sent me to the hospital for a scan and I was talking to a surgeon within a week. I'm not sure how many stones I had, but in one of the pictures post-op you can count 14.

My surgery was Monday at 7:30. We went to the hospital at 6am and I was home (an hour away) by noon. Anesthesia makes me vomit uncontrollably so that's including an extra hour of hospital time for the phenergan. Honestly, I thought I'd be right as rain in a day or two. I was wrong. DH had to leave town on Wednesday for work so after that it was just me and DD. Monday I don't really remember, Tuesday and Wednesday hurt (a lot). Hydrocodone also makes me vomit I learned so I was only able to use ibuprofen for pain relief. Thursday I was able to spend the day on my couch and Friday I spent the day on a friend's couch. By the next Monday I was pretty much back to normal, albeit moving a bit slower than usual.

I didn't have the gas pain others described, and overall I do feel much better. I learned that my heartburn is almost entirely due to caffeine so I've cut waaaay back on those types of drinks. My gallbladder attacks used to start at 11pm and go until 4-5am so my quality of life is much better. I haven't lost any weight, but honestly, I haven't tried either. My scars are tiny, just a little circle around my belly button. I now have the world's ugliest belly button but other than that, you can't really tell I had surgery. I don't take Welchol (my surgeon wasn't keen on that idea) but I do have to take a stool softener for 90 days post-op. This may be TMI, but before, I'd get sick before I need to use the rest room and it was explosive. Now, everything's pretty much normal although there's a 30 minute window after I eat a fatty meal where I generally stay near a rest room.

I just had my annual and my PCP told me how glad she was that I had the surgery. She had a patient earlier in the year who also had multiple stones but they wanted to wait it out. They ended up with pancreatitis and in the ICU for 2 months when they became septic. Also, from a money standpoint it was much cheaper to have it removed now than as an emergency surgery when things went really wrong. I'm glad I had it done, although I wish I had been able to plan for it a bit better; our out-of-pocket expenses were definitely a hit to the emergency fund.

Sleep in a recliner. I remember my first night at home after surgery. I was OK till it tried to get into, move around in, or tried to get out of bed. You don't realize how many abdominal muscles you use doing those movements. I sat in a recliner and noticed how easy it was to get in and out of it - you are just using your arm and leg muscles for those movements. That's where I slept the rest of my recovery, and everyone I've suggested this too since then that has had GB surgery has commented on how much it helped them.

I wish I had talked to you beforehand. I still curse the doctor that told me I would be fine the next day and could even go back to work. I had a DS was only a few weeks old and I remember I could barely get out of bed when he cried to take care of him.

I have had no problems after the surgery at all. My only problem was worrying before the surgery and they could not put a line in my arm. My dad had gallstones and had pancreatic attack that landed him in the hospital for almost 2 months.

I had mine out about 2.5 years ago. I had gall stones, and it was taking over daily life. Mine were causing a lot of pain in my right side and radiated around to my back. Plus I had incredible nausea and reflux. And as soon as I was stressed, it was 1000x worse. I had the laprascopic surgery with the robot. 4 small incisions in my abdomen. And I was home the same day.

I am happy I had it done. The pain and most of the reflux are gone. And considering the stress I have had of late at work, I would be having major issues if I had not had it out. And in hindsight, I know I had a bunch more attacks before that I took as other things at the time. Like others, I still have some issues with food. And a new and strong urgency for the bathroom. It has gotten better over time and I know what to expect, but it does still exist on some level.

Totally understand what you are saying, but in my case these factors seem to have nothing to do with that. I have been closely tested - My Dr. says some people just get these issues no matter how they eat after surgery. I'm just thankful mine is not every day, but once or twice a week - large meal, small, fats, little fats - totally random.

My intestinal troubles are also random, but pretty much daily. My doctor said that some people's intestines get irritated by the constant bile passing through. Fasting (including overnight) can make it worse. Welchol has been so helpful. I have also had postcholecystectomy syndrome and needed to have some additional procedures and occasionally I need an anti-spasmotic. That all sounds scary, but living with gallbladder pain was intolerable. I really had no choice but to get it out.

I believe that they ca go through your mouth and remove stones endoscopically. But my docs told me that was worse than getting the whole gallbladder removed. It's generally for people who can't have surgery for whatever reason. I was borderline with pancreatitis and they were debating surgery for a few days before they actually took it out.

I only had one attack but it was bad enough that I spend 4 days in the hospital before I actually had it out. With a 9 week old at home.

I'm on my iPad so can't see signatures but have you had a baby recently? If so, I would put $ on it being gall bladder related. Growing those darn kids seems to break gall ladders!

I had a stone get stuck and cause pancreatitis, I was in the hospital for 4 days, with morphine shots every 6 hours I think it was. Horrible. They did the endoscope thing to remove the stone that was stuck but it had already moved so didn't get anything. I had surgery a month later to have the gallbladder out. Best thing. Recovery wasn't bad at all, I was back at work within a week. And I don't have to worry about the debilitating attacks I had before. I had a few attacks before the one that sent me to hospital, but kept thinking I could fix it on my own.

And I was also told I have a "fatty liver" the doctor who told me said it was because you know, I'm fat. He didn't have the best bed side manner :) But the gallbladder issues caused stress on the liver as well which caused other issues. So the two can be related.

And I was also told I have a "fatty liver" the doctor who told me said it was because you know, I'm fat. He didn't have the best bed side manner :) But the gallbladder issues caused stress on the liver as well which caused other issues. So the two can be related.

Yes, some doctors really have 'great' bedside manner - not! ;)

I have a very good friend that has been told she had a fatty liver for years now and she is not over weight. Think your doc may be off base - think there are causes they do not fully know yet!

I also have the "random" explosive attacks that have nothing to do with what I eat (greasy/fatty/healthy as all get out/whatevs - one amusing one was after sushi - just rice and fish:)...I've found the attacks normally occur post lunch and they come and go - sometimes 4-5 days in a row and then nothing for months...and they tend to happen if I fast too long (the overnight period), if I don't eat a breakfast that "sticks" with me (good ones for me seem to be raisin bran, oatmeal, and greek yogurt - I have to have a good breakfast and if I skip it, that's baaaddd), if I'm traveling, or if I have been sick in the weeks before (takes a while for my system to "reset"). I'm just one of the unlucky ones, but lucky I'm still alive, so still a win-win on the removal...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter