• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone have Gallbladder surgery????!

Krischaser

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
I have found out I have gallstones and they are talking about gallbladder surgery. Is there any way to push the stone out and not have the gallbladder removed? If you had one removed what can I expect and do you feel better. I keep reading horror stories online and am freaking out.

I had my gallbladder removed but not because of stones so I can't comment on passing the stone, etc.
There recovery really wasn't too bad. I stayed overnight and by about day 3-4, I was sore but not feeling too bad. My was done laparoscopically so there are only 3 tiny incisions. I am completely "cured" since having it removed. My was not functioning at all so I would get frequent attacks that were quite painful and always included vomiting.
The only problem I had/have was some diarrhea r/t too much bile in the GI track, which occurs because you don't have the gallbladder anymore to store it. Anyways my MD prescribed a medication that I now only take occasionally called Welchol which takes care of that problem
For me, it was a good decision to have it removed and I feel so much better.

Hope this helps!

I had my gallbladder out, but it was not optional (even though I really tried to see if it was). Unbeknownst to me (until about 5 1/2 months post partum) my gallbladder had stopped working during a pre-eclamptic pregnancy and at 6 months post-partum, I had a blocked bile duct, acute pancreatitis, and jaundice, to go along with gallstone attacks every meal - I was in bad shape and what started as an elective schedule became an emergency schedule when the docs realized how bad I was (aka - they realized the pancreatitis)...

Since I had the other issues, it was a rough recovery, compounded by only getting 10 days before I had to go back to being a mom, homeschooling, and having a life. I will say it took me a good 6 months to feel mostly like myself again...and I have had some long term effects (this was 5 years ago). I always tell people that some people after surgery will never be thin again (I'm one - but you can maintain weight without gaining - it just takes a LOT more work) and that you may always have some issues with digestion (especially the end of the process and ensuring nutrition). Oh, and stomach viruses destroy me now (with that excess bile problem when you have no food in your system - I cannot function until they pass now, thankfully in 12-24 hours, but they are a BAD 12-24 hours). But some people have no issues, so don't take my results as gospel. But would I do it again? In a heartbeat, but that's b/c I was in a life-threatening situation and didn't have a choice.

I have 2 friends who each have only 1 gallstone and they have been able to keep their organ and they are doing well. So, you can live with a gall bladder if you develop a stone or two.

My advice - if you can't live with the attacks you are having, you should take it out. If you have 10s to 100s of gallstones (so it's stopped working completely, like mine), you should take it out. If you get a life threatening complication, like a blocked bile duct or acute pancreatitis, you should take it out. If you are a borderline case who gets an attack once a year at most and has 1-2 gallstones, you can probably put it off.

I had mine taken out in 2009, by laproscopic surgery, and went home the same day. The worst part was the gas that they pump you up with in order to do the laproscopic surgery, it causes some major gas pains. Walking around is the best way to naturally "release" the gas.

I was only supposed to be off work (office job) for a week. However, I had MAJOR problems with diarrhea after the surgery, and ended up being off for almost a month. I learned through trial and error that my body couldn't process any fatty food. (Even skinless baked chicken breast bothered me. I lived for about 3 months on mostly protein shakes.) That side effect gradually went away over the next several months though.

I'm definitely glad that I had it done, although I wish I'd figured out sooner about the effect that fatty food caused me. I had one major attack, and was literally rolling on the floor in pain. I had a HIDA scan done, which showed the efficiency at which the organ was working. I can't remember the exact number now, but my doctor basically told me that I would continue having attacks until it was removed.

My whole stomach hurts. Pain on my sides and a lot under ribs. There was a large stone on the ultrasound but my pain moves all over except for left side. Is that what usually is felt. I don't want to have a unnecessary surgery. It came on suddenly on Sat. And just started to feel better before the ultrasound and her pushing on everything.

I had my gallbladder removed about a year ago. It was completely blocked by a gallstone. I'd get attacks every time I ate something heavy. I had the laparoscopic surgery. The surgery wasn't bad at all- the worst part was that the gas that they use to inflate your abdominal cavity stays inside of you and releases slowly over time. The gas would move up into my shoulder area and the pain was sharp, stabbing, horrible. The nurses gave me morphine and it got better. My advice to you: walk around the hospital as soon as possible post-op. The nurses told me it would help with healing and releasing of the gas and it was the only thing that helped me out besides the pain meds.

Also- PPs have stated they have had other problems post-surgery. I haven't had any. I guess it just depends on the person. I've actually been able to lose 23 pounds since the surgery, and I also feel MUCH better in general now.

Good luck! :hug:

Do you usually have attacks after eating? Because I can eat just fine. It's just confusing.... I guess ultrasounds can't lie and where she was pushing and hanging out was getting painful. Ugh!! Can you just have the large stone removed. This has been my only attack but it has lasted days. Ultrasound pressure also hurt my kidneys

I had mine removed last July. The doctor used some sort of robotic arm to do the laproscopic surgery (outpatient). All I have now are 4 small scars about the size of a pencil eraser. I was pretty sore after surgery for about a week. But my husband made me get up and walk frequently so I think that helped a lot. The most painful thing was getting in and out of bed.

I had symptoms for longer than I realized. They would come every few months, then got more frequent to the point that I had to talk to my doctor about it. The ultrasound showed stones, but they were free moving, so my doctor said I would need it removed but it wasn't an emergency type thing. I met with the doctor he set me up with and scheduled my surgery for about a month later. By the time I had surgery, my attacks were coming 2-3 times a week and were much more painful. In the month's time from being told I needed to have it removed to having the surgery, my gallbladder had become necrotic according to my surgeon. My surgery went an hour and a half longer than expected for that reason.

I haven't really had the side effects that people complain about. I do have to go to the bathroom much sooner after eating a meal than I had before, but because my gallbladder wasn't really working for a while, I had experienced that for a month or two before surgery. I know people that have had bad side effects and those that haven't. My acid reflux is better, but not gone completely. I haven't changed my diet at all since the surgery.

I wouldn't hesitate to have the surgery if I had it to do over. I feel so much better.

I had laproscopic surgery 4 years ago to remove my gallbladder. It was a quick surgery and I was on my way home 4 hours after surgery. The attacks I had before surgery were horrible so I was very happy to have gotten the surgery done!

Stones won't go away and can't be removed. My mom, DH, MIL, FIL, SIL, and BIL have all had theirs removed. They all felt better afterwards. DH will sometimes have diarrhea if he eats something greasy or too much dairy (he's lactose intolerant too), but generally he's fine. DH's family is from Chile. For some reason, a lot of Chileans have bad gallbladders and get them removed at an early age. DH wasn't even 30 yet.

I had mine out in 2000. It was super easy. I had been having attacks for six months prior during my pregnancy. They had me in tears. No problems after the surgery and no problems since.

I had mine taken out a couple years ago. I had hyperemesis with my last pregnancy and that seems to be where my troubles began because I was also having gallbladder problems, but the symptoms were masked by the hyperemesis. I was put in the hospital when it progressed to pancreatitis and after doing a bunch of tests in the hospital my doctor decided it needed to come out right then, so there was no choice for me. Some people are able to deal with gall stones for years, but if you start to have complications the doctor will want to take the gallbladder.

Have you tried eliminating all fat from your diet? Has anyone told you that if you lay on your left side you can relieve the pain from an attack?

My mom used to be a sonographer, she told me that they used to use sonograms to break up the stones so that they could be passed. I've also heard that there is a "gallbladder cleanse" that you can do that will help you pass stones. But my doctor told me that if a gallbladder has started to cause problems there is no way to get it to work right again. So passing the stones is just a temporary fix because more stones will form. Oh, and apparently pregnancy causes gallbladder problems, which is why so many more women than men end up having their gallbladders surgically removed. Another thing I can blame on my kids, along with causing my feet to grow one shoe size with each pregnancy, and giving me these gray hairs : )

The recovery from the surgery was not horrible--I had laproscopic surgery and I was getting around normally within 2 weeks post-op. The first week was the worst for pain, but even that first week I never had to take any pain meds (they make me sick so I don't take them unless the pain is unbearable). The worst complication was that I pulled a muscle in my stomach a couple days after my surgery, I guess I was trying to do too much physically.

The worst part of the whole experience was leaving my kids, I spent 4 days total in the hospital, and before the surgery I had never left my youngest overnight, or really at all--I'm a SAHM and she nursed until she was 18 months old so we were used to being very close to one another. She wasn't quite 2 when I had the surgery. When I came home she sat on my lap and just hugged me for hours. I still tear up thinking about it, it was so sad.

I know the thought of having an organ cut out is scary, but as long as your surgery progresses normally the recovery is relatively short and not too painful, and it's wonderful to be able to indulge in yummy comfort foods again without experiencing any pain.

The stones can and do get stuck in a duct which is what causes a lot of pain. My DH had his gall bladder out about 7 years ago. He was having some minor pain and while he didnt' have stones, he did have "sludge". No adult has a 100% functioning gall bladder. It's just a fact. DH's surgery was outpatient and laproscopic (which most are now) done around 8 am and he was home by lunchtime. He does great with anesthesia so he ate lunch and had me make tacos for dinner (not recommended for everyone) with no issues. He's never had any of the ghosting problems or any of the other things people reoprt online. Even my mom who had hers out when she was in her early 60s only spent one night in the hospital and that's because of nausea from anesthesia because hers was supposed to be outpatient. I haven't met anyone in years who spent more than overnight and most only spend hours and go home the same day.

My nephew had his removed when he was 17. He had stones and an attack, so age is not necessarily a factor.

I had gall bladder surgery about 3 months after giving birth to my son. My gall bladder was FULL of stones. They were able to do mine laparascopic (however you spell it). I really don't remember much but it was outpatient surgery. The gas afterward was a little uncomfortable, and I wasn't able to pick up anything heavy afterward for about a week. It wasn't bad at all. The gas and not being able to pick up much when my son was so young were the worst parts in my opinion.

I had my gallbladder removed via laparoscopy last year. I was having very painful attacks (several times a year) for 5 years. First ultrasound showed sludge and second showed many small stones. I also had an endoscopy to rule out other causes of the pain. I stayed overnight after the surgery and was only mildly sore for a few days. I do still have symptoms of diarrhea but would rather deal with that than the pain from a gallbladder attack.

OP is it the surgery itself you are frightened of? Or side effects afterword? The surgery was a piece of cake, three tiny incisions, a couple hours in recovery and then home. As PP mentioned the worst part was the gas they used but that's minor. I personally have not had side effects and my understanding is for most people they clear up in time.

Having my gallbladder removed was to this day one of best things I ever did. You may just have a stone now and it seems bearable but once you start having attacks it's another ball game all together. It literally brings you to your knees. By the time I had surgery I could barely even eat soup and then throwing up whatever I managed to get down. Once your gallbladder starts going bad, it just does not get better. You also run the risk of it going septic if you leave it too long.

As to weight loss, I did not have an issue. I lost 69lbs and have managed to keep it off.

My sister had her gallbladder taken out laparoscopically and 2 weeks later she went for a week long trip to the beach (swimming, etc) with no problems. Sometimes she has to go to the bathroom soon after she eats but so do people with ibs and other issues.

I've always heard that if you eat a greasy meal such as long John silver's and then you have an attack, that's when u know you have a gallbladder problem.

I had a CT for kidney stones and it showed I had gallbladder stones, too, but they are causing me absolutely no pain or issues and the gastroenterologist said not to worry about it a bit if I have no symptoms. Lots of people have the stones.

If you are overweight I just read on a random website that losing weight could help you pass the stones and as a Pp said there are cleanses.

I had mine out in 2004. I too had gallbladder issues during my 1st pregnancy- in which I had severe hyperemesis. Regarding the surgery- I had it post pregnancy- about 1 year and 5 months after- when I was having symptoms again.

I had it out laprscopically- one day surgery- 3 small incisions. No overnight stay. I had it out on a Thursday and by Monday I was caring for a toddler on my own again and easily able to lift her with little discomfort- (She was small though- under 25 pounds). I had more issues with the gas & had a post operative migraine from it- which was way more painful than the small cuts on my belly!

Long term I have had little side effects- although I will say I do maintain a lower fat diet rich in fruits and veggies, and I am gluten free as well- which controls an autoimmune I have.

I am super glad I did it- the attacks were horrid and I feel SO much better!

Best surgery ever! :lmao: I took me about a week to fully recover. (twins were just 2 months old and had been out of the NICU for 3 days) That was 15 years ago and I have had no problems since.
Good luck!

I got mine taken out 2 1/2 weeks ago. I had my first attack in December, and then about once a month since then, but the pain went away after an hour or so. I had a horrible one in July that sent me to the ER, so I figured it was time to get checked out. The ultrasound showed that I had 'quite a few' stones, and they set up my surgery. I had never had a major surgery, so I was definitely freaked out. I read online about the cleanses and everything, but those were all shown to be fake. I read that they don't try to break up the stones anymore to pass because the risk that one blocks the duct when passing is too high. Also, if you have them now, they will probably just continue to reoccur.

I was also terrified of the stories I read online about not being able to eat anything without running to the bathroom immediately after. I don't think I am the norm, but I had my surgery on a Wednesday, and I was back to work and eating normally by Monday. The gas pain in my shoulder for the first couple of days, and obviously soreness was the worst part. Hopefully yours will also be that easy! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter