Anyone have a recent Orlando Informer review?

We had a great time, waited only 25 minutes for Hagrid’s. But it was this past Friday night, and don’t think it was sold out. The lines for food varied, though almost all were long. But was nice to eat whatever you want. But I feel like while we did eat and drink some, no alcohol for us, I don’t think we ate much. We tried to not eat before going, but most of what we had, we know we would not buy, as was okay tasting, and the price we would not pay if we had to purchase. Thought was nice that all the soda machines had cups near them, so you could get a drink from those machines for free. On a hot feeling night, you could drink a good amount. Was a colder feeling night, 53 degrees, so while we were dressed right, we had our winter clothes, as came with them from us being from the North, where we had left for our trip being at 25 degrees. But you didn’t want to drink much, as no one wanted to feel cold. We saw many in winter gloves and hats.

And most other rides had minimal lines, and they had characters that I did not always see in the paths during the regular hours.

So, would we go to another meet up? Maybe. Was very costly to me, for only one night, which is what we had, only that night as was leaving the following night of the event. Though my adult kid said she thinks one night was enough. Doing two nights in a row, I think she thought would be very tiring. Plus, we come every so often, and mostly stay at a hotel that includes the express pass. So while nice to enjoy park time after hours, we had the week to enjoy the rides many times, with little waits with the express pass. So maybe we may go again, if it lined up with the trip we had already booked. Also, I was late in getting the tickets, so any discount on any hotels was unavailable. I’m not sure what the rate was, as thankfully, we had already booked the hotel at an AP rate. So did I pay more? Not sure. And if you tried to book hotels for the weekend it was, many of the hotels were sold out on the Universal website if you tried to book then. If I did it again, I’d try to be the first to buy, and see how good a discount those hotel reservations are.

This was the first time we ever did the meet up. I will say, the line to get our tickets and bands was very long, when we arrived about 3:15 pm, but they run it very efficiently, and everyone we met working were nice. While we are APs, after you got your ticket, you could enter the park right then and there, and we had our tickets activated, before deciding not to enter the park then instead of entering the park, which many did. And the first time you walk to the other park, they scan your ticket before they let you walk over to that second park. While we walked back to our hotel to relax, before entering the park around 7pm, we used our APs to enter, instead of the tickets, as park was still open, and when we went to cross over to the other park during the event, whether you first entered a park with the tickets or not, we never put our name on the tickets nor marked who’s was who’s. When I pulled them out, as they scan you before allowing you to walk over. We got lucky, as the one used by me was the one I had activated before. So if you have more than one person, unless they carry their own ticket, maybe mark them. My adult kid kept all her stuff in my bag, plus since I had bought our tickets, I just kept both our tickets in my bag.

My quick thoughts.

We had a great time, waited only 25 minutes for Hagrid’s. But it was this past Friday night, and don’t think it was sold out. The lines for food varied, though almost all were long. But was nice to eat whatever you want. But I feel like while we did eat and drink some, no alcohol for us, I don’t think we ate much. We tried to not eat before going, but most of what we had, we know we would not buy, as was okay tasting, and the price we would not pay if we had to purchase. Thought was nice that all the soda machines had cups near them, so you could get a drink from those machines for free. On a hot feeling night, you could drink a good amount. Was a colder feeling night, 53 degrees, so while we were dressed right, we had our winter clothes, as came with them from us being from the North, where we had left for our trip being at 25 degrees. But you didn’t want to drink much, as no one wanted to feel cold. We saw many in winter gloves and hats.

And most other rides had minimal lines, and they had characters that I did not always see in the paths during the regular hours.

So, would we go to another meet up? Maybe. Was very costly to me, for only one night, which is what we had, only that night as was leaving the following night of the event. Though my adult kid said she thinks one night was enough. Doing two nights in a row, I think she thought would be very tiring. Plus, we come every so often, and mostly stay at a hotel that includes the express pass. So while nice to enjoy park time after hours, we had the week to enjoy the rides many times, with little waits with the express pass. So maybe we may go again, if it lined up with the trip we had already booked. Also, I was late in getting the tickets, so any discount on any hotels was unavailable. I’m not sure what the rate was, as thankfully, we had already booked the hotel at an AP rate. So did I pay more? Not sure. And if you tried to book hotels for the weekend it was, many of the hotels were sold out on the Universal website if you tried to book then. If I did it again, I’d try to be the first to buy, and see how good a discount those hotel reservations are.

This was the first time we ever did the meet up. I will say, the line to get our tickets and bands was very long, when we arrived about 3:15 pm, but they run it very efficiently, and everyone we met working were nice. While we are APs, after you got your ticket, you could enter the park right then and there, and we had our tickets activated, before deciding not to enter the park then instead of entering the park, which many did. And the first time you walk to the other park, they scan your ticket before they let you walk over to that second park. While we walked back to our hotel to relax, before entering the park around 7pm, we used our APs to enter, instead of the tickets, as park was still open, and when we went to cross over to the other park during the event, whether you first entered a park with the tickets or not, we never put our name on the tickets nor marked who’s was who’s. When I pulled them out, as they scan you before allowing you to walk over. We got lucky, as the one used by me was the one I had activated before. So if you have more than one person, unless they carry their own ticket, maybe mark them. My adult kid kept all her stuff in my bag, plus since I had bought our tickets, I just kept both our tickets in my bag.

My quick thoughts.
Thank you!!! Lots of great information!

Do you enter before it starts at either park? Part of the reason for the trip would be to ride the Hulk, but I don’t see it listed as an open ride during the event, but maybe we could go in before the park closes to regular guests.

On the OI website says you are assigned to one park to enter. We had the Studios assigned to us. I don’t know if you tried to enter the other park as not first assigned, would they let you in. And, even though we entered with our APs that night, we did enter at the Studios, as I didn’t want to find out if they would make us go back to the Studios to enter with our tickets when the parks closed.

And the path to switch parks is not open until about an hour after park close. Our parks closed at 8 pm, and while we wandered to enter the path to switch parks, they didn’t open the path until more like 10 minutes after 9 pm. We were part of a group waiting patiently to cross over, as they block both ways until they are ready to open. When we crossed back over to the Studios, they didn’t ask us to scan. Makes sense, as you only get checked once the first time you enter the path.

According to the OI website and our info could enter the parks at 5 pm. But as the checking in is at the other, only used sometimes, entrance to the studios, we saw many get their ticket scanned and enter the studios. So I guess you could really enter around 4 pm, or even earlier if you got there in line way before the opening of the check in at 3 pm. I think my info said check in could be done between 3 and 8 pm. I decided I wanted to check in early, so could go back to our hotel to relax before entering the parks later. But if you didn’t have other tickets or an AP, the OI event is a great way to enjoy the parks, even before the parks close.

Also, to help with food and drink prior to the event, at check in they give one 15 dollar food and drink gift card, per ticket holder. You can use it for food and drink at almost all restaurants and food kiosks in the parks and in City Walk. I think I heard Bubba restaurant does not honor. But we used ours at Breadbox in City Walk with no issue. Nice little gift, as since it’s a gift card, can use it whenever you want, no expiration.

I
On the OI website says you are assigned to one park to enter. We had the Studios assigned to us. I don’t know if you tried to enter the other park as not first assigned, would they let you in. And, even though we entered with our APs that night, we did enter at the Studios, as I didn’t want to find out if they would make us go back to the Studios to enter with our tickets when the parks closed.

And the path to switch parks is not open until about an hour after park close. Our parks closed at 8 pm, and while we wandered to enter the path to switch parks, they didn’t open the path until more like 10 minutes after 9 pm. We were part of a group waiting patiently to cross over, as they block both ways until they are ready to open. When we crossed back over to the Studios, they didn’t ask us to scan. Makes sense, as you only get checked once the first time you enter the path.

According to the OI website and our info could enter the parks at 5 pm. But as the checking in is at the other, only used sometimes, entrance to the studios, we saw many get their ticket scanned and enter the studios. So I guess you could really enter around 4 pm, or even earlier if you got there in line way before the opening of the check in at 3 pm. I think my info said check in could be done between 3 and 8 pm. I decided I wanted to check in early, so could go back to our hotel to relax before entering the parks later. But if you didn’t have other tickets or an AP, the OI event is a great way to enjoy the parks, even before the parks close.

Also, to help with food and drink prior to the event, at check in they give one 15 dollar food and drink gift card, per ticket holder. You can use it for food and drink at almost all restaurants and food kiosks in the parks and in City Walk. I think I heard Bubba restaurant does not honor. But we used ours at Breadbox in City Walk with no issue. Nice little gift, as since it’s a gift card, can use it whenever you want, no expiration.
Again super helpful!

I wonder if you could go from studios to islands before official park close.

We just let our APs expire as I don’t have many trips planned in the next 12 months and not sure a renewal makes sense at the moment… I may build in a day on Sunday, but she was kinda hoping to go to Hollywood studios I think… so maybe just by a pass to islands if I can’t hop before the event starts. I wonder where I get that info…. Or if someone knows..

You can only go between the parks with a park to park ticket or an AP. I think if I were you, I’d probably just go first to the Studios with your IO ticket, then just wait to go over to Islands, if your first park to enter isn’t Islands. A one day, park to park ticket is expensive. Or either that or buy the lowest AP, if you think you’d go when using it during the time you could use it, in a year. My DD has the seasonal pass, as she doesn’t go as much as me, and until this Saturday, when she could not enter the Studios, she has certainly used her pass enough to be be cheaper than if I had bought tickets each time she came in the year her AP is valid. I tend to buy her it, when we plan enough days it makes sense to buy it for her. It is nice, if I renew, the 20 percent discount for the next year, if paying in full at time of renewal.

And I do think you can get rides in most rides during the ISO night, and you are staying until close of it or near it. We felt we did all by 12:45am, with a 1:30am close, given it just got cold enough, we decided to bail. If the weather had been a lot nicer, we may have stayed until close. So potentially 5 or 6 hours of only those with tickets are in the park with you. Oh and know they do close most of the coasters by 12:30 am, and lines will end before that time, so that rides done exactly by 12:30am. Plus some food also closes early. They will give you a list of what is open and when some rides and food end earlier then the end of the night.

I guess it all depends if you want to pay for park time before the IO event, with it does also have early entry with it.

Thinking of going in June and looking for a recent review of the Orlando Informer event!

Thanks!
Long time lurker, first time poster. We attended the OI meetup this past weekend on both nights so I feel like I can add to the discussion.

We visit the parks several times per year. I've lost count of how many times we have been. This was outlr first meetup and let me say it was a very unique experience and well worth every penny.

We are APs so on Friday we got to the parks around 4pm. OI meetup check in started at 3. We waited in line maybe 15 minutes to get checked in and it was a seamless experience. We were assigned IOA for our starting point but we were able to go into Universal first with our OI ticket. Had no issues whatsoever doing that. We did receive a 15 dollar gift card for everyone in our party so we headed over to Lombards for a bite to eat, took a leisurely stroll around the park, & caught the cinematic experience show at the lagoon.

Security did a great job of ushering all the non meetup guests out of the park as efficiently as possible. We experienced no waits on any rides except for Hagrid's. The line there was around 45 minutes.

Food service moved rather quickly. The only place I really saw a line for food was the leaky cauldron but it moved constantly. I realized that most people at the meetup started in WWOHP. Those areas were relatively crowded so we opted to start at the front of the parks and work our way back and that strategy worked well for us.

The "shortcut" between the parks opened up an hour after park close and we had no issues switching between parks.

Saturday night was a repeat of Friday. No complaints whatsoever. If I had any advice to give you it would be to pace yourself. We wanted to try the Mardi Gras food on Saturday so we headed to the parks around 11am. By the end of the meetup we were exhausted, but it was well worth it.

The hotel discounts are around 30% off but you have to get them as soon as tickets go on sale. We stayed at Cabana Bay because Dockside was booked up by the time we bought the tickets.

The meetup is great for a weekend trip. Riding everything in the park is an easy task and you've got all the food you can stomach. The OI team is top notch when it comes to customer service and they absolutely have their act together. We will for sure do it again and will probably catch one of the November or December meetups this year. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

According to the OI website and our info could enter the parks at 5 pm. But as the checking in is at the other, only used sometimes, entrance to the studios, we saw many get their ticket scanned and enter the studios. So I guess you could really enter around 4 pm, or even earlier if you got there in line way before the opening of the check in at 3 pm. I think my info said check in could be done between 3 and 8 pm.
This is different from the December meetups. They used the regular, main park entrances, you were assigned to enter at IOA or US, and could not get in before 5.

This is different from the December meetups. They used the regular, main park entrances, you were assigned to enter at IOA or US, and could not get in before 5.
The check in area was beside Hard Rock next to RRR. They had ticket scanners set up towards Minion Mayhem and then another on the IOA side. This is the same pathway used for the shortcut an hour after the parks close. We never had to use the main gate.

Make sure you will have no issues attending the meetup. I came down with the stomach flu, and I was unable to travel to the meetup last week. I emailed OI and explained my situation. I had found instances online in which they had refunded guests, as well as given guest credits for future events. Since the event was not sold out, I asked for a credit since it was so close to the event and was told, in no uncertain terms, too bad so sad. You paid for it, nothing we can do. I asked if I could give the tickets to someone else and was told no. I called and said I had seen instances of tickets being transferred and was told I could not sell them and if they found out I sold them, they would be cancelled. I explained that a close friend’s daughter goes to UCF, so they said I could transfer them to her. I, personally, will not do an OI event in the future simply for how they treated me when I was no longer able to attend. Loews and Disney both 100% refunded my hotel stays on short notice, but OI wouldn’t give me a credit for a future purchase. I even suggested buying undated Universal tickets. Nope.

Long time lurker, first time poster. We attended the OI meetup this past weekend on both nights so I feel like I can add to the discussion.

We visit the parks several times per year. I've lost count of how many times we have been. This was outlr first meetup and let me say it was a very unique experience and well worth every penny.

We are APs so on Friday we got to the parks around 4pm. OI meetup check in started at 3. We waited in line maybe 15 minutes to get checked in and it was a seamless experience. We were assigned IOA for our starting point but we were able to go into Universal first with our OI ticket. Had no issues whatsoever doing that. We did receive a 15 dollar gift card for everyone in our party so we headed over to Lombards for a bite to eat, took a leisurely stroll around the park, & caught the cinematic experience show at the lagoon.

Security did a great job of ushering all the non meetup guests out of the park as efficiently as possible. We experienced no waits on any rides except for Hagrid's. The line there was around 45 minutes.

Food service moved rather quickly. The only place I really saw a line for food was the leaky cauldron but it moved constantly. I realized that most people at the meetup started in WWOHP. Those areas were relatively crowded so we opted to start at the front of the parks and work our way back and that strategy worked well for us.

The "shortcut" between the parks opened up an hour after park close and we had no issues switching between parks.

Saturday night was a repeat of Friday. No complaints whatsoever. If I had any advice to give you it would be to pace yourself. We wanted to try the Mardi Gras food on Saturday so we headed to the parks around 11am. By the end of the meetup we were exhausted, but it was well worth it.

The hotel discounts are around 30% off but you have to get them as soon as tickets go on sale. We stayed at Cabana Bay because Dockside was booked up by the time we bought the tickets.

The meetup is great for a weekend trip. Riding everything in the park is an easy task and you've got all the food you can stomach. The OI team is top notch when it comes to customer service and they absolutely have their act together. We will for sure do it again and will probably catch one of the November or December meetups this year. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
This is very helpful! I appreciate the time you took to reply! I did book a hotel today with the discount, strangely cabana bay, as I’ve wanted to check it out for a while! We would only be able to do Saturday as I wouldn’t miss school for my daughter Friday, we would leave after that, relax Saturday morning pool maybe, head to the parks whatever the recommend check in time is.

Thank you! Could you hope before park close? It had to stay in the park you were assigned?

Make sure you will have no issues attending the meetup. I came down with the stomach flu, and I was unable to travel to the meetup last week. I emailed OI and explained my situation. I had found instances online in which they had refunded guests, as well as given guest credits for future events. Since the event was not sold out, I asked for a credit since it was so close to the event and was told, in no uncertain terms, too bad so sad. You paid for it, nothing we can do. I asked if I could give the tickets to someone else and was told no. I called and said I had seen instances of tickets being transferred and was told I could not sell them and if they found out I sold them, they would be cancelled. I explained that a close friend’s daughter goes to UCF, so they said I could transfer them to her. I, personally, will not do an OI event in the future simply for how they treated me when I was no longer able to attend. Loews and Disney both 100% refunded my hotel stays on short notice, but OI wouldn’t give me a credit for a future purchase. I even suggested buying undated Universal tickets. Nope.
Good to know! Thank you, and it’s not a small amount of money!!

You can only go between the parks with a park to park ticket or an AP. I think if I were you, I’d probably just go first to the Studios with your IO ticket, then just wait to go over to Islands, if your first park to enter isn’t Islands. A one day, park to park ticket is expensive. Or either that or buy the lowest AP, if you think you’d go when using it during the time you could use it, in a year. My DD has the seasonal pass, as she doesn’t go as much as me, and until this Saturday, when she could not enter the Studios, she has certainly used her pass enough to be be cheaper than if I had bought tickets each time she came in the year her AP is valid. I tend to buy her it, when we plan enough days it makes sense to buy it for her. It is nice, if I renew, the 20 percent discount for the next year, if paying in full at time of renewal.

And I do think you can get rides in most rides during the ISO night, and you are staying until close of it or near it. We felt we did all by 12:45am, with a 1:30am close, given it just got cold enough, we decided to bail. If the weather had been a lot nicer, we may have stayed until close. So potentially 5 or 6 hours of only those with tickets are in the park with you. Oh and know they do close most of the coasters by 12:30 am, and lines will end before that time, so that rides done exactly by 12:30am. Plus some food also closes early. They will give you a list of what is open and when some rides and food end earlier then the end of the night.

I guess it all depends if you want to pay for park time before the IO event, with it does also have early entry with it.
Again very helpful!

My daughter is only 8, I doubt she will make it till 130, but you never know. She made it at the Disney Christmas party till close and I didn’t think she would do that!

It will be June so def warmer than this past weekend! I think based on the feedback here i’m going to jump on this!

The check in area was beside Hard Rock next to RRR. They had ticket scanners set up towards Minion Mayhem and then another on the IOA side. This is the same pathway used for the shortcut an hour after the parks close. We never had to use the main gate.
Yes, and I am saying it is not always like that. Because it was there in Feb does not mean June will be the same. In December my checkin location was IOA.

Thank you! Could you hope before park close? It had to stay in the park you were assigned?
I don't remember, and I can't find the email in my history with the checkin information for 2022. However I did find it for 2021. (I have an AP so it didn't matter to me).

Switching parks at our Orlando Informer Meetup
On Friday, December 3, Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios Florida will close to daytime guests at 7:00 pm. On Saturday, December 4, Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios Florida will close to daytime guests at 8:00 pm. Please make sure your credential is visible.

Our Orlando Informer Meetup will conclude at 12:30 am on Friday and 1:30 am on Saturday.

Should you wish to switch parks prior to 8:00 pm on Friday and 9:00 pm on Saturday, please use the normal park exit and walk through Universal CityWalk or take the Hogwarts™ Express. One hour after the parks close to daytime guests, you may also use the crossover pathway located next to Circus McGurkus Cafe Stoo-pendous™ and Despicable Me Minion Mayhem.

Had a similar experience in 2020, bought December meetup tickets in late spring when I had to cancel my May 2020 trip (Covid). Decided I couldn't go in Dec because pandemic was still raging, and although they refunded Canadians' tickets because they couldn't come, not US residents.

Last edited:
I don't remember, and I can't find the email in my history with the checkin information for 2022. I did find it for 2021. I have an AP so it didn't matter to me.

Switching parks at our Orlando Informer Meetup
On Friday, December 3, Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios Florida will close to daytime guests at 7:00 pm. On Saturday, December 4, Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios Florida will close to daytime guests at 8:00 pm. Please make sure your credential is visible.

Our Orlando Informer Meetup will conclude at 12:30 am on Friday and 1:30 am on Saturday.

Should you wish to switch parks prior to 8:00 pm on Friday and 9:00 pm on Saturday, please use the normal park exit and walk through Universal CityWalk or take the Hogwarts™ Express. One hour after the parks close to daytime guests, you may also use the crossover pathway located next to Circus McGurkus Cafe Stoo-pendous™ and Despicable Me Minion Mayhem.
Thank you! Again super helpful!!

I’m going to plan on attending in June! If you have any other tips I’m open to them!!

Thank you! Again super helpful!!

I’m going to plan on attending in June! If you have any other tips I’m open to them!!
They run a lottery to get a spot on Pteranodon Flyers, there will be an email to sign up for it if you are interested. I have never managed to ride that one yet.

The menus will come out ahead of time, you can check them out to see where you want to eat. Mel's Brisket Burger slider was popular (go right when it opens for quickest line), as is Thunder Falls terrace key lime cheesecake. Grab some Cinnabon toward the end of the night for breakfast the next day (they will run out by the end of the night). The butterbeer ice cream in Diagon Alley is a favorite of mine, they had it all dished up to just grab and go.

Some of the lines close early due to noise ordinances. I never bother to ride Minions anymore without EP but there was no line toward the end of the night for that.

Nice review southern_breeze, glad you had such a lovely visit .

And I would 100% agree with the OI customer service, they are excellent.

We had tickets for the Dec 2020 event, but covid happened so we weren`t allowed to fly, we`re from the UK. I contacted them and they happily told us they would honour them for anytime in the future. In 2021 we were going back when they had another event on, I got back in touch with them and Rebecca was brilliant, issued us new tickets for the nights we wanted and we absolutely loved it. Yes, it`s not an amount of money you want to lose.

I`m sorry to hear though they weren`t as good with SkyGuy and georgina. No idea why they wouldn`t be as accommodating.

Big OI fan here, we've been to three prior meetups (June 2021, Nov 2021, June 2022) and will go again June 2023! It's a great time, if you search the threads here, you'll find some links from previous meetup conversations, event happenings, special things, etc. You've already got a lot of great info here, but we LOVE the meetup events. The lack of lines (basically just about everything is walk on), the food options, free butterbeer, etc. We can get more done in 2 nights there than several days.

Very happy to have found this thread. We're hoping to attend the December meetup and already have a reservation at Endless Summer in a family suite. Got that one early since they seem to be excluded from the discounts.

Any ideas on when tickets will go on sale? I'm thinking after the June meetup.

Very happy to have found this thread. We're hoping to attend the December meetup and already have a reservation at Endless Summer in a family suite. Got that one early since they seem to be excluded from the discounts.

Any ideas on when tickets will go on sale? I'm thinking after the June meetup.
They have done it both ways. I'm inclined to guess it will be after the June meetup so that those who attend in June can be given first option to purchase the winter tickets, but we'll see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter