Anyone getting an iPad?

I happened to be at the mall today and noticed a line coming out of the Apple store. They actually had two lines. One for pre-orders and one for walk-ins. The store was packed, so I just had to go in and check it out. ;)

I have to say it is pretty cool. It is fast and fun, but I don't see it in my future anytime soon.

Have you tried downloading any photos to the iPad yet. Did you buy the attachment?

I loaded my photos from my computer. Haven't tried from my camera yet. I have the iPod adapter that allows me to do so, but not for sure that it will work with the iPad. I'm loving this. The iPad is just a wonderful piece of technology.

Have you tried downloading any photos to the iPad yet. Did you buy the attachment?

I loaded my photos from my computer. Haven't tried from my camera yet. I have the iPod adapter that allows me to do so, but not for sure that it will work with the iPad. I'm loving this. The iPad is just a wonderful piece of technology.

We have the iPhone Collective already. With today being the release of Apple's iPad, I was curious if anyone was going to get one? Personally, I was really disappointed when I finally heard what the iPad will be. To me it seems like a jumbo iPhone without the phone. I think its biggest limitation is lack of multitasking. Rumor is that will be coming to the iPad and iPhone with the iPhone 4.0 OS release this summer. But in its current form I don't see it being that useful without it. What does everyone here think of it? Will you be rushing out to get one today? Will you get one when they add multitasking?

Ah, but that's because you haven't used one. Unfortunately, many people will not "get" the device, usually from a lack of use. people keep trying to compare it to a smartphone or laptop and it's neither. Its a media consumption device. It's designed to be simplistic. But it is not just a big ipod touch. Even looking at some of the apps out now, you can begin to see the transformation.

As for multi-tasking. I have it on my jail-broken iPhone. Honestly, its really not as a big of a deal as people think. It's nice for certain apps... Pandora. and for apps that don't save your place if you leave. But on an Iphone it would kill the battery very fast. It's feasible on an ipad with it's 10 hour battery time.

I picked up mine today. Awesome device. I've loaded pdfs, textbooks, comics, video, etc. It's fantastic. Easier to surf the web and read than a laptop. Uber fast.

Best Buy got it today and I was thinking about. It's too much money for what I would use it for.

Make sure you see the episode of "Modern Family" that was on this week. It explains the "madness" to have it and it's a very funny show.

Although one has to question why a man who wanted one so bad didn't pre-order?

I laughed so hard on the early adopters line (Next week? That's like torture to an early adopter) and the I love you to the ipad line on the couch.

Nah. I already have a MacBook and an iPhone. I really don't see the need to get an iPad.

So do I. Trust me. There are things it does much better than a macbook or an iphone. I'd recommend one especially if the price drops. $300 would be a good sweet spot.

I don't think the attachment is out yet. I couldn't find it at the Apple store or best buy and I know a lot of accessories got delayed.

I did upload some from my itunes. Awesome. It's like a big 9.7" electronic Picture frame.

Not today.

I've gone back and forth over it. At this point, I've decided against it because it kind of bothers me that they want me to pay for their data plan for the iPhone AND for the iPad. I'm not paying for the same data plan twice.

That's where I stand today. Ask me tomorrow or next week and there may be a different answer.

Um... The ones on sale today are Wifi only. They have no data plan.

As for the playing twice... no Data company has an all inclusive device plan. You have a data plan on Sprint for a smartphone, they will charge you if you add 3G modem for your laptop. Honestly, you have a better chance of Disney cutting ticket prices than the cell companies not charging you for every device.

I'm not getting one. They seem too expensive for what they are. My Macbook was $1000, but it has SOOOOO much more functionality (not to mention, hard drive space) than the iPad.

Apples and Oranges though. This is not a laptop and is a much different experience.

Apples and Oranges though. This is not a laptop and is a much different experience.

I totally agree. This is somewhere in-between. It's more relaxing to use than a laptop and more easier on the eye than iPhone. Just a super enjoyable experience.

But...when one has limited finances, as I'm sure Simon does (sorry for speaking for you Simon) the redundancy of the iPad makes it an unnecessary luxury whether it's apples and oranges or iPads and Mac Books.

Simon's Mac Book does much more than an iPad currently will and no matter how different the experience, there are times when substance wins over style.

I have an iPhone. I have an iMac. I don't need a hybrid of the two that doesn't do enough to replace either or even replace a netbook or laptop. The iPad is too much of one thing and not enough of another to be overly useful in its current form. Too big to be portable, not powerful enough to replace a laptop.

I could see it replacing my laptop for what I use it for most, surfing the net in bed. If I need to do more I have my desktop. But still like the ability to do more if I wanted.

Ah, but that's because you haven't used one. Unfortunately, many people will not "get" the device, usually from a lack of use. people keep trying to compare it to a smartphone or laptop and it's neither. Its a media consumption device. It's designed to be simplistic. But it is not just a big ipod touch. Even looking at some of the apps out now, you can begin to see the transformation.

As for multi-tasking. I have it on my jail-broken iPhone. Honestly, its really not as a big of a deal as people think. It's nice for certain apps... Pandora. and for apps that don't save your place if you leave. But on an Iphone it would kill the battery very fast. It's feasible on an ipad with it's 10 hour battery time.

I picked up mine today. Awesome device. I've loaded pdfs, textbooks, comics, video, etc. It's fantastic. Easier to surf the web and read than a laptop. Uber fast.

I'm glad you're enjoying yours. For me, it would be a novelty. I would use it and love it for a month or two, then the novelty would wear off. I'm sorry to say I don't use my iPhone for nearly as much as I could. When I first got it I was installing and trying all sorts of apps. Now it's mostly just an iPod that I get my email on. I have started to use it more for apps. If the iPhone and iPad were out when I was in college I'm sure it'd be a different story and I'd get more use out of them.

Yes, definitely!! I'm waiting for the 3G model. I travel a lot for my work, so I'm also carrying around my laptop, powercord, external mouse etc. It all adds up to 10 lbs. Airports, shuttle busses, car rentals, etc. Add to that my book for reading, my calendar, etc...

My doctor told me I had to get rid of all the extra weight. So, the iPad is PERFECT for me.

I need to be able to check my email, take notes in meetings, project presentations, surf the internet. I'll have the kindle app so I can read my book, have my calendar all on something that is not so heavy, or on a tiny little screen on a smartphone.( not realistic for daily, heavy use - at least for me).

I couldn't see spending money on a netbook. They are way to slow and not powerful enough for a laptop. I just couldn't justify spending the money. Plus you are still at 4-5 pounds once you add the powercord.

So, for me - with weight of device plus usability being the primary issues - it's perfect. Bonus with not having to sign a contract with AT&T ( the sole reason I didn't get an iPhone).

My doctor and I are jumping for joy!! :yay::yay::yay:

Agreed. Just like the iPhone. I waited until the iPhone 3G to get mine. I just finished going through Engadget's review. It seems to be in line with my impressions. I like the concept and Apple has done some great things. But they've also done things that make me scratch my head! :confused3 Now I'm not an Apple fanboy. I have an iPhone and iPod, that's it. One thing I don't like about Apple is their "my way or the highway" attitude. How long did we have to wait for copy/paste on the iPhone? We see the same with the iPad and its lack of Flash support. Jobs says surfing the internet on the iPad will be the best browsing experience you've ever had. Only if you don't visit sites that use Flash or don't mind a broken page.

I remember at the iPad announcement Jobs sid they were looking for a product that fit the niche between smartphone and laptop. He stated the netbook tried doing that but it can't do anything really well. Perhaps. But they can do many things well, and at the same time. Add multitasking, a USB port or two, memory card slots, Flash support, and a webcam and then we'll have something.

I'm curious to see what HP's Slate will be and how it will stack up to the iPad.

I actually give kudo's to Apple for not supporting Flash. In the coding/programming world - Flash is old technology, and is very frustrating to support. The newest standard on how to write code for web pages is HTML5. HTML5 has the ability to show video without a plugin - ie - without Flash. This makes the browser faster and less prone to crashing.

Granted Apple's penchant for being on the bleeding edge is painful at the beginning. They did it with the floppies, firewire, and now HTML 5. But, in the end everyone will be on HTML5 (and then HTML6 etc..), and you won't have to download all of those plug-ins just to view a videos on a web-page.

Painful now, because everyone has to code their pages to the standard- but in the end better. We've all had to do this before when HTML stopped using using frames and starting using CSS stylesheets, now it's dealing with getting rid of having to rely on plug-ins for video.

Here is a link for more info - this link also has the added ability to serve as a sleep aid - guaranteed to be asleep within 5 minutes of reading it! :rotfl:
http://dev.w3.org/html5/html4-differences/

I CANT WAIT TO GET MY 3G IPAD! I spent about an hr with one yesterday and almost bought a wifi to keep at the house because I didnt want to wait for the 3g. The main feature that I wish it had that is missing is multi tasking. However, you cant say that it is a 'missing' feature because that is advertised before you buy it. It does exactly what it is said to do. The web browsing experience on the iPad is superior to surfing on my 13 macbook. Because of the ease to zoom in and out of columns and pictures in websites(double tap just like on iphone) you actually get a better(easier to read) view of the websites. It just feels right when you start using it. It really makes a mouse pointer seem as an antiquated device.

Why it will be great for me.....I dont use my laptop for much content creation, I use my iMac for that. The iPad will be more than enough for basic office production. It will completely replace 80-90% of my laptop time which is content consumption(netflix, streaming from abc or nbc, iTunes...) and I think that it will make me a gamer again(this may be a bad thing).

disclaimer: I am an apple fanboy. However, I dont think that being a fanboy is why I love this device. The fact that Im a fanboy let me look past the whole "It's just a big ipod" complaint.

One last thing: discrediting the iPad because it's just a 'big iPod' doesnt make much sense to me. I have never heard the complaint that a 65inch HDTV is just a large 19inch (non HD) TV when it fact IT IS JUST A LARGE '19INCH TV'. iPods are awesome and a 'big ipod' is even better.

Something just occurred to me. These things would be great in an educational setting. Since my job is providing IT support in an educational center, I think my work should buy me one! Maybe I'll put it on my wishlist for at the end of the fiscal year when we have to use up our budget.

I look forward to when HTML5 is the standard. But for now, Flash is the standard. So the fact remains that the iPad can't properly render 90% of websites out there today. It'd be like buying a 65" tv that can't display HD content.

While I can't wait to buy one I would say I don't think it is a Kindle killer. It is just a little to heavy to hold comfortably in one hand for prolonged periods (the LCD vs e-ink issue aside). When I read my Kindle it disappears into my hand. I did not have the feeling the iPad will do the same.

My iPad was delivered yesterday and it works great.
Graphics are clear and crisp even if older iPod apps are stretched to fill the screen. The DIS works like you would expect it to.

Can't wait to try it out in Hawaii next month and on the Magic's transatlantic cruise in September. Itmaybe worth paying the high wifi rates on the ship.

got mine yesterday, unexpectedly got the day off and decided to run othe apple store and see if I can snag one. Got there a little before 9 am and at around 9:45 walked out with a 64GB ipad :yay:

I havent had much time to play with it yet. As far as ibooks vs kindle/nook, there is no question in my mind the ipad is the superior device. My mom has the nook and I cant stand the look of the screen, not enjoyable to read from that. I've seen the kindle but not really used it. But what is excellent about the ipad is there are apps that let you use your kindle books as well as nook books on it.

The screen is beautiful and the video playback is fantastic.

I have little doubt I will basically use it for watching videos and the occasional book (tho giving up the feel of a real book wil be hard). So did I really need to drop almost 800 bucks yesterday?? heck no...but that didnt stop me :rolleyes1 My unexpected day off certainly hit my wallet. :rotfl:

du-sidebar-show-notes

ORLANDO SHOW

UNIVERSAL SHOW

CONNECTING WITH WALT

DREAMS SHOW

DISNEYLAND SHOW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter