Anyone else have a tall/skinny teen boy?????

I know all about tall skinny boys, since I have a close to 6'3" 147 lb beanpole who wears a size 13 shoe. Yes, finding clothing is difficult, but I have found luck with American Eagle online. They carry more jeans sizes, and also "T" (tall) for their shirts. My DS has long legs but also a long torso and arms, so those tall shirts have been a godsend.

I know these posts are almost a year old but I am so glad that I am not alone. I thought it was difficult when 1st DS grew to 6'1" and needed 29x34 but then we found AE. I thought it was more difficult when DD grew to 5'10" but then found talls at Penneys and Eddie Bauer (althought she still wants to shop in AE but no talls for girls in shirts). Now 2nd DS is pushing 6'3", is only 14 and is ALL LEG. He really needs a 29x36 and is very picky about how things fit. He will wear jeans but loves cargos which are too short anywhere. I am taking all of your suggestions and spending the day on line.

Now can one of those really tall basketball players who make all that money please start a clothing line for tall skinny kids that include sweatpants (both boys and girls)! :worship:

Pacsun has three different brands of skinny jeans: it is pretty simple, skinny, skinnier and skinniest. The regular "skinny" was too baggy for my son if that helps any.

they have all types of colors and if you can catch a sale (I did back in October!) it really isn't that bad. I think I paid about $25 a pair.

Ditto on PacSun! The brand name is Bullhead jeans...You can find waist sizes as low as 28 inches and they come in different styles so that you can find the right fit. When they run them on sale here, I get two pairs for $55 and I will tell you that they last a long time. My son has yet to wear a pair out!

Believe it or not...it works for short people too! I am short in stature and these are the only jeans that I can wear comfortably and not have them be six inches too long! :goodvibes

They come in girl and guy styles! And they are worth every penny...

Have you tried Levi's?? They have a tendency to fit the slim guys a lot better than others.

Try Wranglers or Lee. That's what my Dh wears. He needs a 29x36 or so. And if anyone needs dress pants/suits try Nordstrom Rack or Joesph A Banks (unhemmed) on clearance. I hit a great sale a while back and bought DH multiple pairs of dress pants for about $20 each...Italian wool, lined, they are great.

Oh, I buy the jeans at Boot Barn. They usually have Levi's in stock in his size as well.

Wrangler.com usually has a fairly large selection of skinny and tall. My younger brother used to be a 28X36 and that was the only place he could find jeans that fit. I just checked and they even have a pair available in 29X44, LOL! Before the internet was around, my mom would actually call the jean companies directly and they would hunt down jeans for him from different areas of the country.

I have a tall, beanpole DS (8)and DD (11) myself. I know how hard it is to find clothes for them. When I find slims that are super, super, slim, with waist adjusters, I stock up. However, my bigger problem is finding sweatpants for them.

Do any of you with older stringbeans have any suggestions on where to find sweatpants? Any that I find fall right to their ankles! At least my DD can wear leggings for gym if she folds the top over a few times so they stay up. However, my DS is very active in sports and I absolutely can't find any sweats that will stay up on him.

My 13 y/o is 5'7 and has a 32-33" inseam and a 24 inch waist :scared1:

The smallest waist size I can find is a 29 and it just doesn't look right to use a belt on 5 inches of material.

I was getting pants from Lands End because they had the adjustable waist and they could hem the length. I called this year and the representative told me he has worked there for 8 years and I am the first person he has had to turn down because they couldn't find a size that would work. The boys pants just don't come that long and the men's pants have waists that are way too big.

I found two pair of wind pants at Target with a drawstring waist. They are the right length and they have a 28" waist. They are so baggy in his butt. Because of the material, it looks like he has two balloons stuffed down the back of them. We call them his MC Hammer pants. :lmao: Poor kid.

I, too, find it difficult. When will retailers understand that boys are generally thinner than men and can be quite gangly. My 14 year old son is 6'5" and 165. His waist is a 30, inseam 36-37. Its been a struggle finding pants that we can afford and that fit him also. We have purchase some jeans at aeropostale online. I need dress pants now though...

My son is very tall and skinny too. I had luck buying his jeans from levis.com. They had smaller waists than in the stores.

Thanks ladies. I think I might be in this place in a few years, DS is currently 9 and only 60lbs but eats everything in sight:worried: I am so glad to know now where to look.

Since this thread is 5 years old I wouldn't count on the information to be that accurate. Styles have changed in 5 years so just because it was accurate then it may not be now. And I have a DS who was a tall skinny kid 5 years ago and I wouldn't assume the jeans he worn then would be the same style now.

I don't know what I'm going to do! My DS14 is outgrowing the length of his jeans. Right now, he's wearing 29x32. The waist is huge, and his pants fall off him, even with a belt, but that's the smallest waist size I can find in that length. The 32's are getting too short though! I can't find jeans in a 29x34, so I thought I'd have to buy 30x34 and he'd have to deal. I just did a search on-line, and I don't think I'll be able to find 30x34 either!! OH NO!!!

His current jeans are from American Eagle and Aeropostale...I don't mind paying $30 a pair, but I absolutely draw the line at $60+....

Can anyone lead me in the direction of jeans for tall skinny boys???:confused3
My 14 yr old DS is the same. He's wearing 27- and 28x32 with a belt. Jeans have been easier to find than dress pants. We also ended up buying some American Eagle bc they carry smaller waist sizes. I ended up ordering him some khakis from Lands End last year bc they do the 27 waist, and they will hem to what you specify. Going to have to do that again this year bc 27 is getting snug and 32 isn't going to last long, he's going to need a 33 or even a 34 soon. Not cheap, but he can't go naked....lol.

Ok, just read this is old....never mind.

My 13 year old son is 6'5" and 190 lbs. Kids his age don't wear jeans, more athletic pants. We have a heck of a time finding him pants he can wear and all his jeans/slacks have to be at least 36" inseam. Old Navy (online) is great for some of the long/skinny sizes. Most stores will not carry them, so we have to order most of them and return what does not work.

Now my daughter is another story. She just turned 10 and is 5'4" and all legs. Aero has a size 000 that will fit her, but most anything that is long enough for her is built for a woman's body, which at 10 years old, she does not have. She wears a lot of yoga pants, as these do fit in most instances. My wife is 6' tall, and yes she still struggles to find "longs" which are actually long enough.

How do these tall, college basketball players find clothes?

Banana Republic has dark, skinny, 29 x 32 jeans, but they are expensive. You can put in your size and it will narrow down the choices. I have had good luck keeping watch and getting things on sale. BR prices everything high but once you are on their mailing list you will always get 40% offers, as well as 50 and 60% off sales. Their quality is usually very good.

American Eagle carries 28 x 34 and 29 x 34 online. We used to order them for my son when he was in high school. Now he is up to a 31 waist.

Another skinny tall boy here. My son also doesn't like to wear jeans. He only likes athletic pants which of course are either to short or to big in the waist.

Gap online sells tons of 29 / 34s online and has a huge selection of choices. I just did a search by putting in size and seeing what they have.

Their origins and name Gap was to fill a void in sizes. My son just outgrew his 18 slims going into men's sizes and needed a 28/28 (hard to find size most places). Gap online had a fantastic selection for him and I just bought five pairs for him.

They have been my go to place for slim and long. And I see that they cover your very slim long size in men's very nicely.

Last edited:
I don't know what I'm going to do! My DS14 is outgrowing the length of his jeans. Right now, he's wearing 29x32. The waist is huge, and his pants fall off him, even with a belt, but that's the smallest waist size I can find in that length. The 32's are getting too short though! I can't find jeans in a 29x34, so I thought I'd have to buy 30x34 and he'd have to deal. I just did a search on-line, and I don't think I'll be able to find 30x34 either!! OH NO!!!

His current jeans are from American Eagle and Aeropostale...I don't mind paying $30 a pair, but I absolutely draw the line at $60+....

Can anyone lead me in the direction of jeans for tall skinny boys???:confused3

My 23 year old is a 29x32. I haven't had any problems finding pants or jeans for him. We do shop at the mall stores like Tilly's, American Eagle, PacSun, etc. We can find this size at Target as well. Maybe your search is about pants in this size under $30? I don't mind paying for quality clothes that are going to last through washes and wear. Cheap clothing are a waste of money for me. My son skateboards still so he is rough on clothes. I can often find deals at the mall for buy one get one half, etc. Try Abercrombie super skinny jeans if you need longer jeans that are skinny. Gap women runs very tall so maybe the mens run tall as well?

It always amazed me that it was so hard to find pants to fit a thin teenage boy. There's lots of them. Oldest DS was 5'10" as a SR in HS and weighed maybe 125. He was always tall and thin for his age. I remember putting darts in his size 7 slim pants when he was in kindergarten. He's now 31 and 6'1" and finally is a normal weight (175). He hit his current height in college and weighed about 135 when he was 20. Younger DS is 29 and while not tall, he's thin. At 16 he was 5'1" and less than 90 lbs. He's now 5'8" and about 130 lbs. I had a hard time finding pants to fit both of them. When oldest DS was a 29/34, that was painful. Youngest was 28/32, but still an issue at times. Oldest DS is now 32/34 and youngest is about 30/32. I have to dig through to find the pants that fit them when I buy Christmas presents. Otherwise, it's their issue and youngest DS wife's problem. Heck, DH wears 38/29 which can also be a problem. Both boys got their inseam length from my side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter