Anyone else been stung on The Knot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nycegrrl

"Who you callin a Disney nut? Oh. Well..yeah, duh.
Ouch! I just found out that due to a family member's extreme allergy I won't be able to have live flowers at my wedding. It was really disappointing but I did some research and found some (I thought) beautiful feather bouquets on emplume.com. I posted the idea to my Month board and the ladies responded with "dark", "scary" and even "ugly". I literally cried. Why would you do that to someone who is already trying to make the best of a heartbreak? (Okay so maybe no flowers isn't exactly tragic, but it's still a heck of blow to the picture in the head)

I just wanted to say that looking at their website, those bouquets are gorgeous! If I wasn't already set in a very particular style, I would love to use one of those. They seem like they'd photograph beautifully with all the texture and color varieties. Personally, it seems like a great alternative to real flowers. They don't really follow the "normal" wedding style, but I think that's a good thing!

Well, I'm not trying to make things worse and I really don't intend to sound rude but.... unless it was one of my parents I would never not have flowers at my wedding due to someone else's allergy. You get one shot and I think I would forever be slightly resentful of that person. That being said I would never tell a bride what they have chosen is ugly even if I thought it, that is just plain hurtful. GL with whatever you decide and don't let them change your mind! :goodvibes

I think those bouquets are gorgeous! The red and black on in their gallery is exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for...so thank you so much for sharing the site. :goodvibes

That being said...easier said than done, but try not to let what others think influence what you decide to do. No one else can tell you what's right for you. We can suggest, we can agree, we can disagree...but be it flowers, feathers, dresses, tuxes or anything else...all that matters in the grand scheme of things is that you (and ok maybe your DF :rolleyes:) are happy, and think they're perfect.

It's YOUR day! Try not to forget for too long. Hope that helps and good luck!

When you post things on a public board and ask for opinions that's what you should expect to get. Not everyone has the same taste as you do.

I'm a knot/nest regular. If someone asks for an honest opinion I'm going to give them mine.

club and local boards are usually pretty nice so I am surprised you got such a negative response.

in the end you need to do what is best for yourself and what you want.

I'm not a fan of the Knot message boards myself. I've heard many complaints of rudeness, especially to Disney brides.

That's too bad! Even if you are expecting a person's opinion, there is no reason to be insulting. I think that sometimes so many girls get a very specific idea of "The PERFECT WEDDING" in their head that anything that doesnt fit into their wedding is no good. The best part of any wedding is making it your own! Dont worry about them!!!

SIDEBAR-I know you girls know- What are the websites to those fake flowers? They are so pretty, and realistic, plus you can save them forever!

I've found theknot.com to not be very friendly. I asked a question about destination save the dates and all the responces I got were why would you have a Disney wedding. It's for kids...and all that.
I've found the fourms at projectwedding.com to be much nicer as well as their photos are also better. Less ads and fluff.

Another way to go if you choose not to go with fresh flowers is custom designed button bouquets by Princess Laserton. They are so unique and IMHO a beautiful option.

Rubyprincess:

nycegrrl,

I love the feather bouquets! Thank you for the link. I had seashells in my wedding flowers.

The Knot boards can get very snarky. I tried them when I was getting married and quickly found that it was much better if I lurked and didn't post, unless I had a question.

Whatever you decide for your wedding flowers, please post them! Best wishes for a beautiful wedding and a very happy ever after!

-- Susan
still living the happily ever after

i think you should do whatever you want for your flowers.... if the person with an allergy is very important to you, then there are always alternatives to flowers... you can always talk to your florist and have her do the flowers in silks... i did that for my wedding and not only did i love having my bouquet for years to come, my bridesmaids love having a keepsake.... All of them have vases to display them in their homes for after wedding... that is always an option... i did not look at the website for the feathers things... so i can't offer an opinion on them, but if you are happy with them, then that is all that matters :)

I'm sorry that you won't be able to have live flowers:sad1:. Not sure if you saw these as you were exploring your options, but there are some beautiful clay bouquets out there that look very realistic. If you search "claycraft bouquet" on Etsy you'll get a bunch of hits to give you ideas. :goodvibes

I'm sorry to hear about that. I have heard that the Knot boards are a bit brutal.

The designs from that website are gorgeous, so different.

I just got a quote from http://www.sharonnagassardesigns.com/ they use "real touch" flowers, if still want the real flower look. Just as another suggestion for you.

First off, I think it is very nice of you to want to accommodate a family member like that. It speaks well.

With regards to the people on The Knot's message boards, you know what? It's your wedding. Not theirs. I am very much a people pleaser, and my family knows that, but when it comes to my and DF’s wedding, it is about us and what we like and want. I think some of those bouquet ideas are beautiful and unique, and if some people can’t see outside the box, well then so be it.

BTW, nice wedding date! :thumbsup2

I'm pretty sure it's the brides from the Knot that give all brides the bad reputation they have for being self centered jerks. The one time on there I mentioned I was getting married at Disney, several of the brides told me I'm "idiotically immature and shouldn't bother getting married", "tacky", and "pathetic". No joke.

Those people don't understand the concept of happily ever after. If they did, they would be far happier and not yelling on the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter