• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Anyone creating their own backstory to interact with CMs?

BadPinkTink

Republic of Ireland is not part of UK
Im from Ireland, and a small island of our south coast called Skellig Michael was used as the location for the planet Ahch-To.

Side pieces of trivia
  1. Everything you see on Skellig Michael is real, all those ruins date are real and were built in the 9th or 10th century so are over 1000 years old.
  2. The Porgs in Star Wars were created because Skellig Michael is home to multiple colonies of puffins. When they did the filming for Star Wars they couldnt get a clear shot, the puffins were everywhere. So instead of digitally removing them, they created The Porgs.
The Latin name for Ireland is Hibernia, so when I visit Batuu, Im going to tell the CM's that Im from the Planet Hibernia, which is in the same galaxy as Ahch-To . I might even go to a tourist shop here in Dublin and see if I can get some postcards of Skellig Michael.

Im from Ireland, and a small island of our south coast called Skellig Michael was used as the location for the planet Ahch-To.

Side pieces of trivia
  1. Everything you see on Skellig Michael is real, all those ruins date are real and were built in the 9th or 10th century so are over 1000 years old.
  2. The Porgs in Star Wars were created because Skellig Michael is home to multiple colonies of puffins. When they did the filming for Star Wars they couldnt get a clear shot, the puffins were everywhere. So instead of digitally removing them, they created The Porgs.
The Latin name for Ireland is Hibernia, so when I visit Batuu, Im going to tell the CM's that Im from the Planet Hibernia, which is in the same galaxy as Ahch-To . I might even go to a tourist shop here in Dublin and see if I can get some postcards of Skellig Michael.
love it. I hope that the CM continue their training and consistency to stick to the story and embrace it coming from guests. The only way this will happen is if they cast SW fans for these roles that go above and beyond their regular training

love it. I hope that the CM continue their training and consistency to stick to the story and embrace it coming from guests. The only way this will happen is if they cast SW fans for these roles that go above and beyond their regular training
I posted a twitter thread from Star Wars creative Matt Martin. It’s a ton of awesome CM interactions on Batuu.

I posted a twitter thread from Star Wars creative Matt Martin. It’s a ton of awesome CM interactions on Batuu.
hope it continues. It was like that when Diagon Alley opened and now we see it less and less

Oh where are you from? I’m from Kildare but I live in Toronto now for the past 9 yeara.

I have been trying to think of ways to make my hot climate clothes fit in more with the land. Hadn’t thought of making up a back story though. My kids would love this too. They went to a May the Fourth party dressed as Rey and Anakin and they really enjoyed interacting with the cosplayers in character.

I get that it adds to the atmosphere of the land but how much is too much like for example the interaction that was talked about on the podcast that started with a stormtrooper asking to see a data pad (ie a phone). Personly I think that goes ab it too far whats next asking to see a guest ID? Also what happens if a guest doesn't want to play along with the CM's or the guest feels threatened by it.

Oh where are you from? I’m from Kildare but I live in Toronto now for the past 9 yeara.

I have been trying to think of ways to make my hot climate clothes fit in more with the land. Hadn’t thought of making up a back story though. My kids would love this too. They went to a May the Fourth party dressed as Rey and Anakin and they really enjoyed interacting with the cosplayers in character.

Im from Dublin. If you Google search Disney bounding you will find lots of ideas for clothes inspired by Star Wars :)

I get that it adds to the atmosphere of the land but how much is too much like for example the interaction that was talked about on the podcast that started with a stormtrooper asking to see a data pad (ie a phone). Personly I think that goes ab it too far whats next asking to see a guest ID? Also what happens if a guest doesn't want to play along with the CM's or the guest feels threatened by it.

oh for goodness sakes, this is just the adult version of the kids meeting Snow White for example and asking her about the dwarves or telling Sleeping Beauty to watch out for Maleficent. And Storm Troopers have been doing similar in Tomorrowland for years. People dont have a problem with the kids meeting characters and pretending and role playing, so why cant adults???

hope it continues. It was like that when Diagon Alley opened and now we see it less and less

Those interactions go down for many reasons. The CMs get worn out, from having to be on stage all the time; the guests prove to be....difficult, let's say; word comes down from corporate to 'calm down the antics' (as we have seen at WDW, at several restaurants)...

SWGE has only been open to the public for what...a week now? DD had 3 shows, the day before yesterday, where people talked through her spiel, loudly...not just excited whispers, but flat out talking, and one guy loudly said "hurry up, we don't care, we just want to build the d*** thing". Killed her mood, and while she did bounce back to finish her shift, she cried on the way home. She has been yelled at by adults because the spots are all filled; told she is not very good at her job (by the 2nd guy I'll talk about in the next paragraph); had someone try to hand off their baby, without a word, then get mad because she wouldn't (why not hand the baby to the adult that came in with the builder? Oh, because then that person couldn't record the builder for their instagram/snapchat/twitter glory). She had some lady yell at her during the show because they were all done and wanted to finish and move on, but there were a couple of other people in the show who were taking pictures/video of every single thing in the show (including every piece in the kits), and they were delaying things.

One of her leads is already talking about transferring, and this is a person who has been with the company for many years and was a lead already when they transferred in, because they got into trouble with their bosses because of guest complaints. One person built their lightsaber, came back the next day, and threw a hissy fit and wanted a refund because it was 'so expensive', 'not worth the cost' and 'didn't work like a real lightsaber'. The person wouldn't stop, even when told they had to go to a specific person to deal with the situation (not in SWGE, but at GS), that the lead finally gave in and gave them the refund. Some guy let loose on DD and then this lead, because there were no more spots...they were completely full. He ended up at GS, and the lead got a call and had to add an entire show for this guy, causing the CMs to have to stay late, to accommodate him. When the guy got back, they had more people there (because, if you're going to have to do another show, might as well sell all 14 spots) and the guy called and complained about that!

People seem to forget, not just at DL or WDW, but in all sorts of places, like Walmart or McDonald's, that the people working there are...people. And they have zero control over the price you pay, the size of the item you get, the spiel they have to do...they get treated like crap and they shouldn't.

wow, that turned into a rant. Sorry!

but yes, please, add your own backstory. Most of the CMs will really get into RP with you! If you do the lightsaber build, and are into Porgs (or dislike them!), and you get a CM A***, talk to her about her Porg sanctuary.

Those interactions go down for many reasons. The CMs get worn out, from having to be on stage all the time; the guests prove to be....difficult, let's say; word comes down from corporate to 'calm down the antics' (as we have seen at WDW, at several restaurants)...

SWGE has only been open to the public for what...a week now? DD had 3 shows, the day before yesterday, where people talked through her spiel, loudly...not just excited whispers, but flat out talking, and one guy loudly said "hurry up, we don't care, we just want to build the d*** thing". Killed her mood, and while she did bounce back to finish her shift, she cried on the way home. She has been yelled at by adults because the spots are all filled; told she is not very good at her job (by the 2nd guy I'll talk about in the next paragraph); had someone try to hand off their baby, without a word, then get mad because she wouldn't (why not hand the baby to the adult that came in with the builder? Oh, because then that person couldn't record the builder for their instagram/snapchat/twitter glory). She had some lady yell at her during the show because they were all done and wanted to finish and move on, but there were a couple of other people in the show who were taking pictures/video of every single thing in the show (including every piece in the kits), and they were delaying things.

One of her leads is already talking about transferring, and this is a person who has been with the company for many years and was a lead already when they transferred in, because they got into trouble with their bosses because of guest complaints. One person built their lightsaber, came back the next day, and threw a hissy fit and wanted a refund because it was 'so expensive', 'not worth the cost' and 'didn't work like a real lightsaber'. The person wouldn't stop, even when told they had to go to a specific person to deal with the situation (not in SWGE, but at GS), that the lead finally gave in and gave them the refund. Some guy let loose on DD and then this lead, because there were no more spots...they were completely full. He ended up at GS, and the lead got a call and had to add an entire show for this guy, causing the CMs to have to stay late, to accommodate him. When the guy got back, they had more people there (because, if you're going to have to do another show, might as well sell all 14 spots) and the guy called and complained about that!

People seem to forget, not just at DL or WDW, but in all sorts of places, like Walmart or McDonald's, that the people working there are...people. And they have zero control over the price you pay, the size of the item you get, the spiel they have to do...they get treated like crap and they shouldn't.

wow, that turned into a rant. Sorry!

but yes, please, add your own backstory. Most of the CMs will really get into RP with you! If you do the lightsaber build, and are into Porgs (or dislike them!), and you get a CM A***, talk to her about her Porg sanctuary.
That seriously sucks, some people are idiots. I've worked retail during busy season here in Orlando and I know how people behave, my son also works in entertainment and is now getting used to people heckling or booing or screaming at him. I have a friend who is a train conductor who got spat on the other day when she told a guest that the train was closed . All CM go through this every day
I really hope they continue full interactions and not just give up, the show must go on and all that.
Tell your daughter we, as in full on star wars fans, appreciate what she's doing in bringing the full savi experience to life

Last edited:
oh for goodness sakes, this is just the adult version of the kids meeting Snow White for example and asking her about the dwarves or telling Sleeping Beauty to watch out for Maleficent. And Storm Troopers have been doing similar in Tomorrowland for years. People dont have a problem with the kids meeting characters and pretending and role playing, so why cant adults???
Role playing and and asking to see someone's phone are completely different as that has possible legal implications to it. If you listen to the podcast where they talked about it the host felt uncomfortable with being asked to show a storm trooper there phone and ended up having a less than desirable experience on both sides. Also not everyone that goes to a Disney park wants to role play or they may be caught off guard by it especially if they don't speak English well or understand that it is just role play.

I think if a guest feels threatened by it, a CM would probably pick up on that, since they're essentially doing improve. If the other person in an improve doesn't place along, there's not much to do with it. They're not going to actually force someone to give them their phone.

(Which isn't to say that the generic interactions are always failsafe. I was deeply uncomfortable being called "princess" and being offered a character's arm, which happened every single time, and my buddy and I started saying we were siblings just so CM interactions would stop assuming we were a couple. But, eh, what can you do.)

Oh man. That is horrible.

I've dealt with some awful, make-you-cry-and-have-a-panic-attack patrons before, but my mind just boggles at the idea of someone lucky enough to get into the BRAND NEW experience ruining it for other people like that. But...of course they do. Of course they complain and demand things for free.

Nothing quite as frustrating as the higher ups giving in to badly behaving patrons and making you accommodate their tantrums.

Role playing and and asking to see someone's phone are completely different as that has possible legal implications to it. If you listen to the podcast where they talked about it the host felt uncomfortable with being asked to show a storm trooper there phone and ended up having a less than desirable experience on both sides. Also not everyone that goes to a Disney park wants to role play or they may be caught off guard by it especially if they don't speak English well or understand that it is just role play.
I don’t believe the stormtrooper would’ve actually taken the phone. I’ve seen several videos of interaction similar to that and they’ve never taken anything from someone.

That seriously sucks, some people are idiots. I've worked retail during busy season here in Orlando and I know how people behave, my son also works in entertainment and is now getting used to people heckling or booing or screaming at him. I have a friend who is a train conductor who got spat on the other day when she told a guest that the train was closed . All CM go through this every day
I really hope they continue full interactions and not just give up, the show must go on and all that.
Tell your daughter we, as in full on star wars fans, appreciate what she's doing in bringing the full savi experience to life

Savi's already had to cut their spiel down, by over half. Like, it was going to be much more immersive but with the crowds, they just don't have the time to be able to do it the way it was originally planned. She would hop on Facetime with me and practice, so she could get feedback on her facial expressions, etc, while she was training, and let's just say the whole thing....I got goosebumps clear across the country from just her talking.

I'll let her know, thanks! I have been searching here, Twitter, Reddit and FB everyday (she does Instagram and Snapchat and??? whatever the cool kids are on now) for reviews. Not just hers, the whole thing at Savi's. There have been many good, some bad, and a few in between, but those are rare. There was someone here on disb that was criticizing the CMs at Savi's, calling them mediocre...and they hadn't even been there. That annoyed the heck out of me. She didn't break character when the guy yelled at her to hurry up, she just gave him her 'mom stare' and commented her Porgs were better behaved than some humans she knows. :lmao:

Sorry, OP, got a bit of a rant going. again. :cutie:

Savi's already had to cut their spiel down, by over half. Like, it was going to be much more immersive but with the crowds, they just don't have the time to be able to do it the way it was originally planned. She would hop on Facetime with me and practice, so she could get feedback on her facial expressions, etc, while she was training, and let's just say the whole thing....I got goosebumps clear across the country from just her talking.

I'll let her know, thanks! I have been searching here, Twitter, Reddit and FB everyday (she does Instagram and Snapchat and??? whatever the cool kids are on now) for reviews. Not just hers, the whole thing at Savi's. There have been many good, some bad, and a few in between, but those are rare. There was someone here on disb that was criticizing the CMs at Savi's, calling them mediocre...and they hadn't even been there. That annoyed the heck out of me. She didn't break character when the guy yelled at her to hurry up, she just gave him her 'mom stare' and commented her Porgs were better behaved than some humans she knows. :lmao:

Sorry, OP, got a bit of a rant going. again. :cutie:
As a mom of performer kids you have to create a thick skin, there will always be people that are mean, not just critical but vicious. Just know she's doing her best and creating magical experiences for those willing to partake in the magic

Yeah, that's what really shocks me. Like, if all you want is a custom saber, you can probably get that for $200 or even a little less elsewhere. The $200 price tag isn't just for the physical item you have at the end of it, it's for the experience of building a lightsaber, and feeling like a Jedi, dangit.

I would be furious if some dude did that during an experience that I paid $200 for.

I'd love to create a character with a backstory for whenever I get to Batuu, but my guess is you can't do actual cosplay, correct? So actually dressing/acting like the character is out.

I may have a few tee shirt designs for my family's "on planet" business. I know tee shirts don't really seem authentic but it is the best I could do. (Who knew googling "Star Wars fonts" would produce so many hits.) I haven't worked up a whole back story, well maybe just a little one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter