Any idea when we can buy WDW annual passes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes sense .. I am sure there are plenty of people who would buy them knowing the parks could close again .. (or they end up closing Epcot except on weekends), etc. Just feels like you need some legal "buyer beware" language.

Really though .. like John has said in the DISUnplugged podcast, Disney should sell discounted tickets to "regional" guests (those in neighboring states that would drive down) similar to the Florida discount offer right now .. or similar to what Universal is doing (Buy 2 days, get 2 days free). I am sure there are plenty of people in Georgia that would drive down a few hours if they could go for $50-60/day.

Disney just doesn't seem ready (yet) to encourage people back. And that makes sense, sorta, .. still a lot of unknowns out there, but at the same time -- if you are open and have a capacity limit set, you'd think they would try and reach that limit as much as possible.
They will gladly take you if you stay on site and buy tickets.

They will gladly take you if you stay on site and buy tickets.
I get that .. I know I could go NEXT WEEK and pay $161/night for Pop (the most I would have ever paid for a value (ever)) and pay full price $110+/day for tickets (or "waste" my saved up park-hopper tickets).

I (like many) don't feel like coming down for a reduced hours, closed attractions, no M&G, mask-wearing experience at FULL price. BUT -- I as a huge WDW fan, would gladly come down (during a pandemic), to spend a few days in the parks, spend money on food and souvenirs and enjoy some rides with little wait times for a reduced price. It's not about me "supporting" Disney during their tough times .. it's about getting the value for my dollar (especially right now).

I went to Tweetsie Railroad (a small theme park in the mountains of NC) a few weeks ago. They had their train ride and cowboy show running and their shops open, but NONE of their other amusement rides running. They were selling tickets for $10/adult and $7/child. Great value for a fun hour or two while in the mountains. While I wouldn't expect Disney to have that steep of a discount, I am surprised they haven't offered some sort of incentive (beyond the Florida resident discount) or at least start selling APs.

I get that .. I know I could go NEXT WEEK and pay $161/night for Pop (the most I would have ever paid for a value (ever)) and pay full price $110+/day for tickets (or "waste" my saved up park-hopper tickets).

I (like many) don't feel like coming down for a reduced hours, closed attractions, no M&G, mask-wearing experience at FULL price. BUT -- I as a huge WDW fan, would gladly come down (during a pandemic), to spend a few days in the parks, spend money on food and souvenirs and enjoy some rides with little wait times for a reduced price. It's not about me "supporting" Disney during their tough times .. it's about getting the value for my dollar (especially right now).

I went to Tweetsie Railroad (a small theme park in the mountains of NC) a few weeks ago. They had their train ride and cowboy show running and their shops open, but NONE of their other amusement rides running. They were selling tickets for $10/adult and $7/child. Great value for a fun hour or two while in the mountains. While I wouldn't expect Disney to have that steep of a discount, I am surprised they haven't offered some sort of incentive (beyond the Florida resident discount) or at least start selling APs.
Its the problem Disney has right now. There are 2 basic levers you can pull to increase profits, either increase revenue or decrease costs. On the revenue side they can increase revenue by increasing guest count but if they need to discount prices to increase guests it may not be a positive gain in revenue. In normal times discounting may work, bjt right now there are some non-economic factors keeping demand down. Disney has limited ability to make people want to travel. IMHO they’ve done a pretty good job of marketing the parks and controlling PR but that only goes so far. When you can’t increase revenues as much as you would want the other lever is a reduction in expense. Moth balling resorts, reduced park hours, rides and shows closed, etc. I think right now Disney is relying on the I’m going to WDW no matter what crowd. So lower revenues and bare bones experience.

Its the problem Disney has right now. There are 2 basic levers you can pull to increase profits, either increase revenue or decrease costs. On the revenue side they can increase revenue by increasing guest count but if they need to discount prices to increase guests it may not be a positive gain in revenue. In normal times discounting may work, bjt right now there are some non-economic factors keeping demand down. Disney has limited ability to make people want to travel. IMHO they’ve done a pretty good job of marketing the parks and controlling PR but that only goes so far. When you can’t increase revenues as much as you would want the other lever is a reduction in expense. Moth balling resorts, reduced park hours, rides and shows closed, etc. I think right now Disney is relying on the I’m going to WDW no matter what crowd. So lower revenues and bare bones experience.
I get that. I also get not "devaluing" your product because that can set expectations of what prices "should" be in the future.

But you bring up a good point .. it definitely seems like Disney is choosing the "cut expenses" route as opposed to "increase revenue". But how long is the "no matter what" crowd going to last? How long can that sustain the parks? Maybe they are just waiting to see what these first few months brought and re-evaluate. No major outbreaks associated with them being open, so maybe they feel there won't be as much bad PR now to start giving people financial incentive to come back.

o they may just also be waiting to see how their fall numbers start to pan out. I would gather there are a lot of people lined up to cancel their trips because things are STILL not closer to "normal" and are just waiting until the last minute (because they can).

I get that. I also get not "devaluing" your product because that can set expectations of what prices "should" be in the future.

But you bring up a good point .. it definitely seems like Disney is choosing the "cut expenses" route as opposed to "increase revenue". But how long is the "no matter what" crowd going to last? How long can that sustain the parks? Maybe they are just waiting to see what these first few months brought and re-evaluate. No major outbreaks associated with them being open, so maybe they feel there won't be as much bad PR now to start giving people financial incentive to come back.

o they may just also be waiting to see how their fall numbers start to pan out. I would gather there are a lot of people lined up to cancel their trips because things are STILL not closer to "normal" and are just waiting until the last minute (because they can).
It’s going to take a few months, if not more, for Disney to have an accurate picture of the parks. And as the last earnings call showed, a Disney is ok for the near future just with Disney+ and other entertainment ventures floating them. They’re going to want to get through the slow time of the early fall, and most likely through the holidays (when things should get more busy) before they introduce any major pricing changes (or start reselling APs). They’re going to want to get through both of those periods and see how they shake out before making changes. As I said above, they may wind up having to do something drastic, like cut certain parks operating days or something, and they’re not going to want to have to do another round of AP refunds.

And with their limited resort offerings right now, I don’t really think they have to offer any discounts, other than to a Florida residents and AP/DVC holders, as they are who is going to make up their main travelers for the next 6-12 months. Especially when one of their biggest draw areas (NY/NJ/CT) can’t realistically come as easily right now with the quarantine situation. I did like your suggestion for expanding the discounts to neighboring states, but that would be a brand new venture for Disney, so not sure if that’ll happen.

It's a shame -- because if I could buy an AP now .. I would definitely go in 2020 with the plan to get my "value" out of the pass in 2021. I live in driving distance (9 hours) away and not afraid to vacation right now.

Let the buyer beware. Sell APs and people will still buy them KNOWING they can't park hop .. it may be worth it for the discounts.

I understand offering a discount could upset current AP holders, but big deal, they've been able to get refunds due to the current situation. Lots of things in life are offered cheaper to other people. For every person who buys a sale item in a store, many bought them at "rack rate". I mean .. just think how many different prices different people are paying to stay at the same Disney resort on the same day! Some pay rack rate, some got a discount, some got an AP discount, some found a super deal on priceline, etc.

Sell APs right now .. 16 months for the price of 12. Give me 4 months "free" during these non-hopper times and I'd buy three in a heartbeat AND plan a trip for sometime this year and help Disney fill up their empty rooms and parks. Disney gets my money NOW and has me on the hook to come spend big money in the parks NEXT year (when they'll need it).

How Disney is not offering some incentives to come right now is mind-boggling.
e Florida resident discount) or at least start selling APs.
We activated our passes in January Opted to cancel for refund even though we have two trips to Orlando planned (due to kid going to college in Florida). And I’m one of those that when I get my refund I’d turn around and buy an AP certificate to use when I feel the value is back, if they were offering them right now. Universal is offering FLorida residents buy two days get rest of YEAR free with no blackout dates through Dec 24! I’m also renewing my UOR premiere AP and getting 15 months! That comes with EP after 4 (after 2 right now with reduced park hours). Disney has done ZERO to inspire loyalty with current AP holders, as they haven’t had to in the past. If I wasn’t limited to one park and only three days of reservations as offsite AP I may not have cancelled the Disney one either. The premiere also is giving me a guest park to park ticket to make up for HHN ticket that comes with the pass.
I think Disney way way overestimated their product in these times and now are scrambling to make up for it. As evidenced by the jammed phone lines of AP holders trying to call to cancel for past month, they didn’t get the APH as well.
Went to Disney Springs today and it was a ghost town! By contrast UOR and Citywalk had a lot more people on Monday. UOR also has some of their shows running.

Still think the best idea would have been to stop the clock on passes until people came back.

I’m from the northeast and my passes were set to expire in April of 2021. After having a giant chunk of the benefits ripped away, and the current state of things, I couldn’t see myself going back (after having April, June and August trips cancelled) until things change both inside and out of the parks so I asked for a refund.

Now instead of me having months in my pocket and Disney having my money in theirs, we both have nothing.

Still think the best idea would have been to stop the clock on passes until people came back.

I’m from the northeast and my passes were set to expire in April of 2021. After having a giant chunk of the benefits ripped away, and the current state of things, I couldn’t see myself going back (after having April, June and August trips cancelled) until things change both inside and out of the parks so I asked for a refund.

Now instead of me having months in my pocket and Disney having my money in theirs, we both have nothing.
Right .. sure .. if they did that .. there would have been a lot of APs that would be going for "free" until the started the clock again, but people going for "free" are still spending money AND are WELL-poised to spend FUTURE money next year when they will need it.

I think the problem is . .that whenever Disney decided to start the clock back up .. SOME people wouldn't be happy with that (they feel they still can't come due to the virus or there still would be "restrictions"), so they'd potentially have to deal with refunds at that time anyway.

Agree but I would have hung in if they let me pick when I felt it was worth it/safe enough to come back. Which would have meant hotel, and dining money that would be spent.

Now, hypothetically, I may never be back. Which is a decision that they forced me to make.

I really wish they would at least bring back 10 day tickets. We are going down last. Haft of October. 2 weeks at Vistana. DD’s fiancé in tow, who has never been. It sucks to pay price of a 10 day ticket for 7 days. Sine capacity isn’t let I don’t understand why they won’t be more flexible. We would also get APs instead in hopes of a fall trip in 2021.

Maybe Disney will just eliminate the annual passes at WDW. One of the biggest complaints the last couple of years has been the overcrowding at WDW. This would go a long way to lower crowds and might also increase revenue from ticket sales. I know they would lose out on some dinning revenue from locals but would have smaller crowds without raising regular ticket prices. They have already said they make less off of people with AP.

Maybe Disney will just eliminate the annual passes at WDW. One of the biggest complaints the last couple of years has been the overcrowding at WDW. This would go a long way to lower crowds and might also increase revenue from ticket sales. I know they would lose out on some dinning revenue from locals but would have smaller crowds without raising regular ticket prices. They have already said they make less off of people with AP.

And suddenly they don't have bloggers and social media people doing anything other than their hosted events. It wouldn't make sense. Maybe they take away the monthly payment like they did at DLR but there's no way between bloggers etc and DVC that they take away the AP. They'd lose more than they gain due to how many wouldn't do multiple trips or would skip it all together simply because they'd have to spend more overall for tickets, rooms etc and can get more bang for their buck at uso with an AP.

They’re not going to get rid of APs. They would alienate way too many people.
Plus, if they were going that route, they’d eliminate renewals as well, and I just renewed last week for another year, so they’re definitely not getting rid of them.

i don’t see then eliminating them. Just think they are waiting till they can offer more of the normal experience.

I don’t understand the logic. I would be happy to buy a Disney Platinum Plus Pass knowing the limitations. I have a trip planned for Nov (9 days) and April (11 days). Had they had AP for sale I may have made a trip this summer. If they don’t have AP by my Nov trip I will most likely cancel April.

They may not sale as many AP as normal but it would bring in cash and new passes holders would buy knowing what to expect.

I don’t understand the logic. I would be happy to buy a Disney Platinum Plus Pass knowing the limitations. I have a trip planned for Nov (9 days) and April (11 days). Had they had AP for sale I may have made a trip this summer. If they don’t have AP by my Nov trip I will most likely cancel April.

They may not sale as many AP as normal but it would bring in cash and new passes holders would buy knowing what to expect.
But they’re more concerned about then having to refund APs again should any other changes occur to their operating schedules. Even if you know what to expect, if they were to start closing certain parks on certain days or any other new changes, they would have to offer refunds again, and that’s not something they want to do right now. They’ll wait to see what happens during the fall and probably through the end of the year before selling them again.

Because for every person like you who would buy them today and be fine with any changes that could occur in the future, there are probably 5 people who would buy them and then look for a refund. And they just don’t want to deal with that.

Maybe they take away the monthly payment like they did at DLR but there's no way between bloggers etc and DVC that they take away the AP.
DL still has the monthly payment plan; it's only for California residents though.

APs will be back at some point. But I imagine that Disney would like to start selling less of these in the future. Translation- possibly a very big increase in price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter