Antics of the Orange Banded Monkeys: Heartbreaking News June 2017

An Uber-Scary Ride: The Wildest Ride from the Wilderness (Lodge)

A I mentioned in the previous update, around 4 pm, Nannette had requested an Uber ride to bring us from the Wilderness Lodge back to the Beach Club.

One of the really neat things about the Uber app is that you can watch the progress of the car you have hired as it travels on its way. So we watched the car, which was 4 minutes away. Then, we watched it make a U-turn and head in the opposite direction!

7 minutes away.

Another U-turn.

4 minutes again.

Finally, our ride arrived.

It was “Nannette’s” ride so she sat in the front seat while Rebecca and I got into the back.

We were off.

Course.

Shortly after leaving the Wilderness Lodge, the driver made a wrong turn and headed in the opposite direction of where we needed to go.

We got to an intersection where we could turn around, which the driver proceeded to do.

Against the light and in front of cars coming the other way!

:scared1:

From that moment on, for the rest of the ride, the driver’s GPS continued to blurt out “Head North on World Drive” every 3 seconds.

Which was not the way we needed to go, so Nannette navigated and gave our driver the correct directions as we proceeded.

My phone dinged with a text:

Nannette (4:26 pm): I am going to die in this car.

Rebecca: I think that is possible.

Dee: LOL. But not really LOL!

~Ninja (from the safety of the Beach Club): Why?

Rebecca: We have a directionally challenged Uber driver that I am not sure if she has an actual driver’s license.

Nannette: LOL!

~Ninja: Should I send out search and rescue?

Rebecca: Not yet, but maybe.

Nannette: Help!!

Rebecca: I see the Dolphin!! We can make it!

~Ninja: LOL!!!

Nannette (4:47 pm): OK, we have arrived at BC safely.

PHEW!

After your ride, you are asked to rate your driver. Nannette did so honestly and received a pretty prompt apology from Uber as well as a code for a free ride that we would be using later.

Next Up: Marinated Monkey Meet

Last edited:
That sounds scary, but I love the texting during the death ride :)
And the selfie of you & Mark LOVE it :hug:

Your selfie from 1981 is cute! It's quite obvious who each of your kids favor. Strong genes there.

I'm not a suspicious person, but the thought of getting in a car with a random person scares me to death. I know many who have used Uber with no issues, but I don't see myself getting over this fear for awhile. Glad you guys made it back in one piece!

I don't know anyone personally who has used uber but I do know a lot of people do use it especially on vacation. Many people like it. At least you got a free ride out of the situation. Uber seems to be pretty accommodating.

Yikes! :scared1:

But a free ride!

Not sure if the free ride was worth the terror, but we certainly did use it.

::yes::

That sounds scary, but I love the texting during the death ride :)
And the selfie of you & Mark LOVE it :hug:

Thanks! I like that picture too.

A scary ride, but I was laughing so hard I was crying as I was reading the texts.

:laughing:

Your selfie from 1981 is cute! It's quite obvious who each of your kids favor. Strong genes there.

I'm not a suspicious person, but the thought of getting in a car with a random person scares me to death. I know many who have used Uber with no issues, but I don't see myself getting over this fear for awhile. Glad you guys made it back in one piece!

Thanks! Yes, we definitely hear that Nate looks like Mark and Ben is my mini-me.

On Wednesday, I was going through old pictures and I found this school picture of Mark. And this is Nate's senior yearbook picture. The thing that really freaks me out is the similarity in the style/color of the shirts.

scan0017.jpg Senior1.jpg

I wouldn't use Uber for a ride if I was alone. I did once take a Mears cab from the Poly to the Beach Club when I was alone, but I'm not sure I would do that again. I like to think there is safety in numbers, however the scariest cab ride I have ever been on was in Hawaii with all 4 of us in the car. The driver was crazy!

We used Uber a few more times on the trip without problems and we are considering using the service when we are on vacation in Washington DC if we want to go somewhere that is too far for us to walk.

:car:

I don't know anyone personally who has used uber but I do know a lot of people do use it especially on vacation. Many people like it. At least you got a free ride out of the situation. Uber seems to be pretty accommodating.

Most of our rides ended up being free, either because we were using a ride that was referred or to compensate us for the scary ride.

As I said above, I was comfortable getting a ride when I was with others but I don't think I would do it if I was alone.

:thumbsup2

DH and I were already at the BC, talking to Teena, when Ninja Mom came down to tell us that you had been hijacked by an Uber driver. :)

It looks like Mark and Nate both have green eyes, like Harry Potter.

Lol! Cortana Where Are You!! Lol still laughing!!

~N

It's too bad people can't hear the impassioned tone in her voice when Dee was calling for Cortana. Picture a child hearing that they can't have a cookie and asking in a sad voice why, why, over and over again.... only it was Cortana, Cortana, why won't you answer me??

~NM

Soooo so glad you all survived your uber experience and the fact that you were texting each other during the ride is a hoot. We have had many scary taxi rides at Disney including 1 were the driver told us it was his first time driving in Orlando and if we could direct him he was sure he would be fine!!!

To answer your questions Dee I haven't been to either wilderness lodge or artist point :(. I need to get out more! :)

Your 1981 selfie is gorgeous. What a trendsetter you are :)

Love that Nate and Mark not only look alike but have the same taste in clothes :). Brilliant photos :)

Dee - love that throw back selfie! Years ahead of your time.

That Uber ride is much funnier now that it is over. Although, I think I had a few nervous giggles during that wild ride!

Rebecca

I had totally forgotten about that selfie and came across it sometime in the last few months when I was going through Mark's photo albums. Probably looking for Disney pictures from our first trip for our high school graduation.

You and Nannette made the ride bearable. When she sent that first text, I was cracking up.

:rotfl2:

DH and I were already at the BC, talking to Teena, when Ninja Mom came down to tell us that you had been hijacked by an Uber driver. :)

It looks like Mark and Nate both have green eyes, like Harry Potter.

I had planned on meeting up with Robyn a little early, like 4:30, but that didn't happen due to our ride.

I love the comment about the green eyes like Harry Potter, however... Mark has blue eyes, so either the pictures has faded or changed or just isn't great. I see what you mean though. We haven't been able to figure out the color of Nate's eyes! Sometimes they appear green, sometimes hazel. Not brown or blue though. I can't remember what we put on his learners permit for eye color.

:wizard:

It's too bad people can't hear the impassioned tone in her voice when Dee was calling for Cortana. Picture a child hearing that they can't have a cookie and asking in a sad voice why, why, over and over again.... only it was Cortana, Cortana, why won't you answer me??

~NM

OK, you weren't even THERE, so you don't know how whiny my voice was! You are just relying on what those snitches- I mean our friends- told you!

I think it was more like "Cortana. Oh Cortana, my dear, would you please make an appearance and assist me?"

With my arm going back and forth.

:rotfl:

Soooo so glad you all survived your uber experience and the fact that you were texting each other during the ride is a hoot. We have had many scary taxi rides at Disney including 1 were the driver told us it was his first time driving in Orlando and if we could direct him he was sure he would be fine!!!

To answer your questions Dee I haven't been to either wilderness lodge or artist point :(. I need to get out more! :)

It was definitely a memorable ride!

That's funny about your driver needing directions. I wonder how he would have done if you told him to drive on the left side of the road.

We tend to stick to same places at Disney- it took my friends to get me out to the WL.

Your 1981 selfie is gorgeous. What a trendsetter you are :)

Love that Nate and Mark not only look alike but have the same taste in clothes :). Brilliant photos :)

Thanks for letting me share those oldies but goodies! Glad you enjoyed them!

:hug:

OK, you weren't even THERE, so you don't know how whiny my voice was! You are just relying on what those snitches- I mean our friends- told you!

I think it was more like "Cortana. Oh Cortana, my dear, would you please make an appearance and assist me?"

With my arm going back and forth.
:hug:

Oh... but there were MANY command performances and reenactments by the peanut gallery. As a matter of FACT I thought I heard a bus driver unsuccessfully beckoning Cortana somewhere in the resort.

Cortana!!! Cortana why won't you talk to me???? Whyyyyyyyyyy.....

~NM

I had read that most of the Uber drivers in the WDW vicinity were part time cast members. I'm guessing yours wasnt!

Oh... but there were MANY command performances and reenactments by the peanut gallery. As a matter of FACT I thought I heard a bus driver unsuccessfully beckoning Cortana somewhere in the resort.

Cortana!!! Cortana why won't you talk to me???? Whyyyyyyyyyy.....

~NM

It could happen! Assuming that there are any other humans on the planet other than Mark and me who have Windows phones. (and Zune MP3).

Although I "Siri"ously doubt it.

:sad2:

I had read that most of the Uber drivers in the WDW vicinity were part time cast members. I'm guessing yours wasnt!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say she was NOT a cast member! She didn't seem to know where the Beach Club was. I wonder if she had programmed Caribbean Beach into her GPS.

Anyway, we were just happy to arrive safely.

::yes::

Marinated Monkey Meet (You Are My People)

When we arrived in the lobby, Teena was there talking to Robyn, Sue and Sue’s DH (who I won’t name unless she says it is ok). Ninja was there. Lauren (The Magical One) had been running some errands at Downtown Disney (I think it was still DtD at that time).

Sometime around 5, we headed into the Beach Club solarium while waiting for Teena to finish her shift and join us.

We all hung out and chatted and took a few pictures.

WP_20150830_019.jpg

WP_20150830_021.jpg

WP_20150830_023.jpg

WP_20150830_024.jpg

One final, official picture of our group:

WP_20150830_028.jpg

Robyn's DD, Robyn (Disneymomx7), Rebecca (HockeyMomR/Rafiki), NinjaMom (???/Chim Chim), Teena, Dee (natebenma/Abu), Lauren (The Magical One), Nannette (Bubbles), Sue (Wood Nymph)

After a bit of socializing, it was feeding time for the monkeys.

Robyn had plans with her family for their final dinner of their trip (Garden Grill, I think), so she and her daughter left.

We were planning on eating at the Crews Cup lounge after our meet, and a few other DISer had said they might be joining us for dinner. Since the lounge does not take reservations and is somewhat small, we thought it was best to give them a heads up that at least 8 of us would be coming in at 6. Earlier that afternoon, before we caught our ride to the WL, I had walked over to the lounge to let them know.

We headed over and we were able to pull tables together.

WP_20150830_029.jpg

We were never at a loss for topics of conversation during our meals.

Speaking of the food- it is really good! The kitchen is shared with the Captain’s Grille and a lot of the same choices are on both menus.

Experts have raved about the burgers served here, and unfortunately I did not take that advice last year when we dined here. I went with the clam chowder, which was good, but not outstanding and the truffle fries, which were ok.

I would not be making that mistake again! I followed Teena’s lead and we both ordered the burgers. I subbed my fries out for the orzo salad. There may have been a couple of other burgers ordered at the table, too.

DSCF9227.jpg

DSCF9229.jpg

Angus Chuck Cheeseburger - served with Lettuce, Tomato, Onions and cheese; served with French fries $13.99

It really was an awesome burger!!

Other orders at the table:

DSCF9225.jpg

New England-style Lobster Roll - served chilled on a butter-toasted roll with choice of orzo salad or chips $18.99

DSCF9228.jpg

Lump Crab Cake - Fire-roasted corn succotash and lemon emulsion $14.49

DSCF9224.jpg

Pan-seared Chicken - After 5pm - roasted butternut squash puree, fall vegetables, cranberry agrodolce, spiced pumpkin seeds, and pan jus $21.99
(I just pulled this description from the “All those ears” website, and I suspect that the summer recipe was different from what is listed here.)

For my beverage, I ordered a drink recommended in a few trip reports. I wanted to try it from the first time I heard about it, but I haven't found for sale where I live. I learned shortly before my trip that the Crews Cup offered it.

WP_20150830_031.jpg

Grapefruit beer. YUM!!! It did not disappoint.

Around 8, it was time for us to go our separate ways. Teena and Lauren were each heading back to their homes. Sue and her DH were off, but we planned to get together with them the next morning at EPCOT.

The night was not over for the monkeys- we still had some big, high-in-the-sky plans.

As we were exiting the Crews Cup, there was a woman and her husband sitting on a bench. They got up as we walked by and the woman asked “Are you DISers?” We answered “Yes” and she said “I knew you were my people!”

Turns out that she was a good friend of one of the people from the FAQ who had hoped to join us at Crews Cup, but due to some timing issues, wasn’t able to make it.

We talked for a little bit. The husband looked absolutely mortified at the encounter!

So much so, that I didn’t even suggest that we get a picture, so technically, this meet didn’t actually happen.

Next Up: Monkey Bars (at the Top of the World)

Last edited:
Looks like a great meet up with everyone.

Lots of good food too. I probably would've ordered that burger.

Lurking, as I typically do, but thought this time I'd say hi. :-) Looking forward to your next update!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter